closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a keeper or flipper?

Master

Are you a keeper or flipper?

I used to think I was a 'keeper' as I wore my main watch for over 10 years. That's now gone. I've given my son a 2005 watch.

My watch collection now comprises of a 2 month old and a 7 month old.

Turns out I must be a FLIPPER

I'm yet to sell a watch... I think i'll fall into the hoarder category...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hoarder. Though that will change this year - I have 2 watches I never wear and will move on. When I can be bothered to list them....

I'm a wannabe keeper... who ends up being a flipper for all but a few in the collection (and those few were bought as presents... so I "can't" flip them or certain people will take the hump that I got rid of their present!)

I used to be a flipper, now my collection has stabilised in the last 2-3 years, so definitely turning into a keeper. Nearly all of the watches in my collection are here to stay!

I self-identify as a keeper, and the fact that I've sold more watches than I own is irrelevant.

Master
    Keeper... that's why I have 50 watches.... MUST SELL 40....

Given that I'm considering parting with my most recent already I'd say flipper.

I'm a keeper though I want to b a flipper!
    I don't see myself selling any of my 3 adult watches (+3 from pre-uni). BUT there are a number of watches I still want to own. So I'm stuck in limbo - I just have to wait and save every time which means it's gonna take me 20-30 years to get through my list unless I start thinking of buying with the intention of selling to fund the next one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happened to be reading an article just now.. which started off like this:

It can be said that there are three types of watch collectors- the “traders”, the “flippers” and the “accumulators”. Accumulators will never sell a watch, even if it only gets worn once every leap-year. A flipper will buy today with the aim of wearing for a week, keeping the sticker on the back and then selling on at a profit. The trader, which describes how I collect watches, sits somewhere in the middle.
    Going on that... I'm a "trader".

Oh no!!!.. I'm not a trader! Honest!!!

In fact, that quote above is well off IMO. There's manys a "flipper" here on TZ and at best, their watches "flip" for the same cost or quite often less.

Master
    I have bought two Rolex off flippers and at a very good price. I rather like them to be honest.

Keeper. First watch 17 years, second 8 years...

Master
    I have one watch which is a keeper and two which may be flipped but the one rule i haven't broken is not to have more than three watches.(Well sometimes i reach five but then sell two)

Grand Master
    I class myself as a collector. Owning 20 watches (mostly vintage) feels about right to me.

I think there's another category of watch buyer that I call the 'seekers'. They're never satisfied, they're always seeking 'the one' or wanting to own the latest trendy watch. Usually they are serial flippers as they persue the quest for satisfaction

There's also the 'braggers' who get most pleasure from buying something really expensive then telling us all about it. Braggers can also be flippers, they buy an expensive watch or two then subsequently sell it in order to buy something else. The thrill is in the buying followed by another round of bragging...........on and on it goes. Most pleasure is derived from buying a watch that's hard to get hold of new; getting 'the call' and the privilege of being allowed to purchase said watch confers the ultimate bragging rights on the lucky buyer as he smugly informs us all of his good fortune.

I guess it takes all sorts.........

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 16th February 2017 at 13:01.

Master
    Definitely a keeper. All of this flipping nonsense seems like far too much hassle for my liking!

I did sell one watch through responding to a WTB on here, but only because it really didn't sit comfortably on my wrist for some reason. It was a good experience selling here though...

Master
    I'm a mix.

Quite a few have come and gone and a few have stayed the course. At the moment I have 2 definite keepers, 2 maybe keepers, 1 will definitely flip when the time is right and 1 will be flipped tomorrow.

i'm a flipper more than a collector

I only really hang on to pieces that are significant gifts or have some other sentimental value

As for the rest they all come and go - my focus changes quite regularly, often coming full circle and then moving off again

To a lesser extent I do the same with cars

I find this therapeutic and a welcome diversion from the pressure and stress of the business world

Chronic flipper.

I really don't feel comfortable having more than two watches at once so they get moved around quite quickly.

I then end up trying to buy again watches at a later date.

Apprentice
    I was always a flipper until I got this Air king so now I'm a one watch person with no interest in flipping anymore

Sent from my Harrier Tab from EE using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Definitely a keeper as I've never sold a single watch.

This probably stems from spending months deliberating any purchase before I go ahead so I'm sure any watch I buy is one I definitely want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Keeper. Purely because I can't be bothered with the hassle of selling

Im a keeper but would like to get a balance and to flip some watches but get lazy and don't bother :(

Master
    I think I'm a keeper, but the number of watches I no longer own says I'm a slow flipper, or perhaps a consolidator. Gradually though the slots in the box have filled up with watches I'd be reluctant to part with, and which might be hard to replace, like a fruit machine slowly landing on a jackpot! I can picture a 'grand consolidation' one day, but I'm not ready yet. Or at least, after settling on a keeper sports watch and dress watch, I'd probably have to add one more flippable watch plus a beater to satisfy the wondering eye. Let's be honest though, even ten years is a long time, who really knows how you will feel about your 'keeper' in 2027?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    There's also the 'braggers' who get most pleasure from buying something really expensive then telling us all about it. Braggers can also be flippers, they buy an expensive watch or two then subsequently sell it in order to buy something else. The thrill is in the buying followed by another round of bragging...........on and on it goes. Most pleasure is derived from buying a watch that's hard to get hold of new; getting 'the call' and the privilege of being allowed to purchase said watch confers the ultimate bragging rights on the lucky buyer as he smugly informs us all of his good fortune.
    I guess it takes all sorts.........
    Paul
    Is there a name for collectors who assign shitty pseudo-psych labels to people who buy and talk about expensive watches?
    If there isn't then I'd happily suggest one.

I'm a mix.
    Vintage - keep.
    Modern - sometimes switch as theyre easier to replace.

A keeper (although maybe hoarder is a better word!) on the whole.

Now and then I'll move something along, but I've a lot of watches I rarely wear and yet can't bring myself to part with.

I certainly don't pursue 'grails' only to sell them to pursue another, although I don't think there's anything wrong with that if it brings you pleasure.

M.

Craftsman
    Flipper but usually after about 5 years. Only one I have had for 20 ish years is a G Shock.

Journeyman
    i'm a keeper so far but the wife is starting to roll her eyes at each new purchase and making a few sarky comments so i think i'd better think of trying to sell a few this year by dipping my toe into the murky waters of ebay. Sounds so much hassle though. Or contact Watchfinder and get peanuts but for minimum hassle.

I have a bit of a double standard in this regard, my more expensive watches are safe, I have no urge to move them on, but I do sell any affordables that start to lose their share of rotation over time!

Journeyman
    I'm a flipper trying to turn into a keeper! It's a horribly expensive hobby if I keep flipping :D

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Turns out I am failed flipper! Moved on a Rolex Explorer & took back to AD a Tudor BB Bronze

Apart from that - kept everything - even though I keep trying/thinking of moving some on. My Hulk gives me most internal grief - but every time I go to sell & end up keeping it. Ummmm

Good post - feel sane v some on here with vast collections to :-)

Craftsman
    To date I'm a keeper having never sold a watch before. That may well change in the future as this hobby grows!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm definitely a keeper, I've never been into flipping...ever...

Master
    I've flipped a fair few but now down to 2 that I'll hopefully never sell...

Blog Entries
    Flip, flop. I am binary.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I try building up a small collection then get the urge to clear almost everything out. I have a few I hope I will keep at the moment and am trying to resist buying any more!

Quote Originally Posted by MelbournSimon View Post
    Or contact WebuanyWatchfinder and get peanuts but for minimum hassle.

M.

Master
    I have a small collection that are keepers, and a vast hoard that I should flip but lack the motivation.

Flipper. To keep things interesting I sell the watches that I don't wear anymore.

Master
    I'm up to 11 again but will always flip something that doesn't get regular wear :)

Hoarder and keeper ....

I think I now have 27 ... my only rule is 'a watch must come from a watch maker' so I have an array ranging from Seiko and Casio to Brietling & Raymond Weil with a mixture of quartz and autos, I like what I like .... still have a couple of things that I'd love to acquire, and IWC of some description and an AP, but I'm not at 5 figure watches yet and wouldn't sell the 4 figure ones to fund .....

Its a fun hobby though, I'm as bad with trainers, of which I have a collection in excess of 45 pairs that are BNIB and a couple of pairs worth 4 figures !!!!

Master
    I've sold the watch I wore at my wedding TWICE on here, after I said I'd never sell it.

I'm not the most sentimental it has to be said.

I generally move on those not getting any wrist time, but inevitably replace them with something else.

The watches I hang onto the longest are usually those I least expect to.

I would love to be a keeper, but must classify myself as a serial flipper!
    It is not the sensible option on numerous levels, especially financial

Big flipper

Sent from my U15 Pro using TZ-UK mobile app

Flipper, but with quite a few long term keepers
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Depends....I have had a few where I have fallen out of love with and dont wear them at all, see them as unwanted space invaders in my watch box. I have never bought one and sold it for the sake of passing it on to refresh the collection, I would just set money aside for a new one.

Journeyman
    Never sold a watch, but getting close to moving a couple on that I never wear. Just thinking about what's the best way to go about it, and what to replace with, as I prefer a bit of variety.

I was a keeper until the collection hit 50 watches. I now operate a 1 in 1 out policy...or at least try to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I was a keeper until the collection hit 50 watches. I now operate a 1 in 1 out policy...or at least try to.
    Love to see a SOTC shot of those 50.

Martyn

I'm generally a keeper, but I do like to try out lots of different watches. So my main collection stay roughly the same, with the odd watch being added now and again and I'll try a number of different brands and maybe flip for a number of different reasons. Some are cheap, some are expensive, and some are inbetween.

I fail to see the point of Paul's post above, calling people braggers. If someone is into watches and excited about a new purchase, what does it matter if it cost £50 or £50k?

After all, it's supposed to be "a friendly place to discuss watches".
    It's just a matter of time...

A keeper because I know what I want and when I've got it I'm happy. I flip the odd watch purely to finance a superior watch.