closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you a keeper or flipper?

Craftsman
    The only watch I ever tried to flip was my TH Monaco and the offers I got from several dealers (for trade in) and sites like Gumtree, were appalling.

Eventually I just decided to keep it and I'm saving for a Rolex instead of trading up.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Flipper. Perversely I like to buy watches but dislike having vast sums of cash tied up in them- especially if they don't really get worn much. Once an arbitrary amount is tied up in the watches I come out in hives and have to reduce the collection. I rarely sell cheaper watches though so perhaps I'm both!

Blog Entries
    I'm Half & Half.

Some watches are keepers - as they were purchased to commemorate significant life events.
    (Oris TT1 : Hulk : Zenith EP 69 : IWC 3251 ... probably)

Some were bought because I liked/justified them... at the time.
    (Breitling Aerospace Evo : B&M GMT : Bremont SuperMarine : Chronoswiss Pacific)

The former are keepers.

The latter are sometimes flipped ... it would seem quite regularly ... if we need any evidence

At at the moment I'm at about 4/4 in each camp.

So so maybe I'm just conflicted.

z

Keeper/hoarder/accumulator

Journeyman
    A keeper until now.

Craftsman
    I keep all of mine. I am old so I figure when I kick off I'll let the relatives decide which one they want. I have eight so there are enough to go around.

Seems a strange dichotomy to me. Surely many of us are both?

I currently have 6 watches but have owned another 28 in the past. I'm aiming for quality over quantity but it's only by trying a large quantity of watches that I get to learn what qualities appeal to me most.

So I flip and learn. Unfortunately there's one watch that I wish I hadn't flipped and it may haunt me for years to come....

Trying to be more keeper than flipper these days.

Im sure most are a bit of both, I've got four that will never go, either because they have sentimental value or would be hard to replace. The rest I flip to try different options.

I've owned a fair few keepers. I don't have them anymore! They've had to go to fund the continuing journey obsession, otherwise I think the money tied up would have just got out of hand (by my comfort settings anyway).

I'd like to think that most of what I have now will be staying the distance, but I can't be totally sure

Journeyman
    I don't have many watches but try and keep them - each watch has sentimental value

Master
    I had the same quartz Omega Seamaster as an only watch for about 8 years or so, then when finances improved I started to build a collection of 5 watches or so. I now try to have a one in one out policy per year so I try to keep them for a minimum of 2-3 years, possibly put me down as a measured flipper. My longest at them moment I've had for 6 years but I rarely wear it and it;ll be gone by the end of the summer despite still liking it.

I've been on a journey of (self-) discovery where watches are concerned for about 12 years. In that time my preferences and aspirations have gradually evolved, and as a result quite a lot of watches have come and gone. I now have 14 watches of which more than half would be classified as keepers (I think!).

A rough count suggests that I've bought around 50 watches over 12 years and sold about 36 - that means I've averaged 4 in and 3 out each year, although it tends to happen in spurts.

Not sure what that makes me, to be honest...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 11th September 2017 at 02:57.

Grand Master
    Both. I have a couple of keepers but also several others that come and go, it's been said my watch box has a revolving lid!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Apprentice
    Used to be a keeper. When the collections hits above 60 pieces and less rotation, then have to flip some of it. Tough decision but that's reality

I'd say both too but tending towards flipper. Have a couple I'll never sell but I've flipped 30 or 40 watches while maintaining a small stable of 5 or 6 at any one time.

To discover which watches you truly want to keep, you have to flip a lot

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    As with watches, as with women....

My thoughts exactly.

I guess I'm a flippin' keeper!
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 17th February 2017 at 19:59.

Craftsman
    I think I'm a flipper - two watches have stayed consistently since I had then, sub and an Oris. Everything else: ML, Ingenieur, Great White, GMT, electric blue; bellmatic, aqua terra have all been flipped on here.

For me it's because there are aspects of a certain watch that I like but then something niggles and then it has to go. For me Omega bracelets just never fit right, and the IWC, which was a really beauty, was just too deep.

Master
    Don't flip as I don't see the point but watches aren't my main hobby either. Couldn't be bothered to swap watches each week or whenever because winding and resetting are just a hassle to me.

Master
    I tell myself that I'm a flipper in order to justify buying a given watch that I like but can't really justify adding to those I've already got. Which I then keep. Making me a keeper.

Master
    A keeper, although my wife would describe it as hoarding... Sadly, most of mine are not mid-higher end, otherwise I'd be sitting on a fortune.

I've been saying it for years, and I imagine I will still be saying it in years to come, but I must sell some of the collection!

Craftsman
    Keeper....unless upgrading becomes cost conscious...plus I only buy new so don't realise the depreciation hit

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've never sold a watch I've purchased new (edit: Um, well, I have...), so I guess a keeper then. On the other hand I do have a watch or two which I've bought used just to see if I like them and they are quite likely to be flipped at some point.

Blog Entries
    I have a core collection that I will never sell which puts me in the keeper category but then 40% of my collection I would earmark as possible flippers to fund new purchases so class myself as on the fence I suppose

Master
    Like most, I have a few keepers that I will not sell. These are keepers for sentimental reasons or because they are all-time favourites. I also have a few that I would be happy to let go to try something new.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm definitely more of a keeper.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by sbjb93 View Post
    I was always a flipper until I got this Air king so now I'm a one watch person with no interest in flipping anymore

Sent from my Harrier Tab from EE using Tapatalk
    How wrong was I saying I was a one watch person ! One more has entered the fold and the Air King was made perfect by the fitting of explorer hour and minute hands plus another this morning (photo to follow later today)
    Damn this crazy hobby ! Hahaha

Sent from my Harrier Tab from EE using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sbjb93; 14th October 2017 at 09:52.

Master
    I only have 3 watch's in my collection. My good one (Omega PO) which I'll never sell due to personal reasons, my Garmin Fenix 3 for my sports stuff and my beater which is the one that gets flipped so keeps me interested in looking for new watches (currently an skx007). Did have 12 watches a while back but most of them were never worn so off they went.

Master
    Blog Entries
    2017 has been a flipping good year, will continue to flip into next year to consolidate my collection for 'wearers' And keepers. So far the plan is working, but certainly harder than I initially thought.

Journeyman
    Definitely a keeper. All of my watches have some sentimental value.

Craftsman
    I think I am half & half but yet to sell anything.

Presumably in the nine pages of this thread (which I'm sure I read all of back when it was being written 😇) someone pointed out that to find your princes you have to kiss a lot of frogs?

Over the last four years I've had 27 watches. 21 of them are now gone, but each one of those I had high hopes for, each bought with the best of intentions*. The dates on which the remaining six joined my collection are spread fairly evenly across those four years.

It's almost a year since I last bought a watch, and those that remain appear to be keepers, so I would like to say, I'm not a flipper now, but: 10 days since last sale vs. 4 years flipping.... Maybe I should wait a while before making that claim 😆

*maybe the G10 was an experiment
    Last edited by Der Amf; 14th October 2017 at 09:37. Reason: Forgot one :D

Presumably in the nine pages of this thread (which I'm sure I read all of back when it was being written ) someone pointed out that to find your princes you have to kiss a lot of frogs?
    I concur.

Four years in now, 30 watches have been and gone, 3 more will be sold and 3 seem to keepers.

(I also have one more incoming, which will spoil my rule of three's.)

Craftsman
    Maybe I can’t admit to my mistakes. Or maybe I’m complacent. Or maybe I just can’t face the hassle of selling.
    I have never become dissatisfied with a watch, and have never sold. So, I guess that makes me a keeper.

Rolex Oysterquartz (17000) stainless steel beater; Cartier Santos quartz in steel/gold for dress wear; Audemars Piguet Huitième chronograph in yellow gold; Glashütte Original Senator Excellence (classic dial) in steel; Glashütte Original Panoreserve (blue dial) in steel.
    Need more . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    I'm yet to sell a watch... I think i'll fall into the hoarder category...
    Definitely in the hoarder camp. Have ~30 watches and never sold one. Even have my first, second and third watches from age 6,11 and 15!

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Flip, flop. I am binary.
    There are 10 types of people in the world.
    Those that understand binary.
    And those that don’t!

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone