closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patek sells for a record breaking £9 million!

Master

Patek sells for a record breaking £9 million!

I appreciate it's all relative to the high rollers with big bank balances, but when you think what could bought for this amount of money, it's crazy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ristwatch.html

Cutting edge journalism from the Mail-
    next week 'John Lennon has been shot dead'

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Antony23 View Post
    I appreciate it's all relative to the high rollers with big bank balances, but when you think what could bought for this amount of money, it's crazy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ristwatch.html
    An interesting read thanks for posting.

Insane amount of money.

Master
    Wow. Always good to have your own petty sums spent put in perspective!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    I'll probably get shot down but I don't care...

In my opinion it's pathetic paying amounts like this for a piece of engineering that's worth a few thousand. Do these people really get it home and think "thank god I grabbed that piece of steel shaped like a watch for £9m"

Nine million pounds! Ridiculous haha

I'm happy for the sellers of all these rare watches that go for silly money though, I guess they get the last laugh.

The Rolex world makes me laugh too. Having some rare parts myself and seeing/feeling how rubbish they are in relation to what they are "worth" just makes me laugh.

Most probably bought by Philippe Stern. In which case it's a sensible purchase for marketing purposes. His company, so he protects his brand, obtains free press coverage, readers will infer attributes of quality and worth, and Patek doesn't have to further fund 'brand ambassadors,' who later turn out to be dummies. An added bonus for Patek is that they don't need to have any contact with the Daily Mail to use them for advertising.

Craftsman
    This is a little bit of old news, Hodinkee had some really interesting articles about the history of those watches. It is fascinating.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...ppe-1518-steel

Master
    I turned this one down because the movement doesn't hack.

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    If hacking is a firm requirement I believe Patek only offers one model with that complication, so not much to choose from.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    LOL

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    This is a little bit of old news, Hodinkee had some really interesting articles about the history of those watches. It is fascinating.

Interesting and far less sensational article.

Paul Boutros, head of watches for the Americas for Phillips Bacs and Russo, said: "I have waited a lifetime to see a 1518 in stainless steel."

You wanna get out more mate

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 16th February 2017 at 19:31.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Paul Boutros, head of watches for the Americas for Phillips Bacs and Russo, said: "I have waited a lifetime to see a 1518 in stainless steel."

You wanna get out more mate.
    Over the last few days you've spent your time writing more than a couple of sneering posts on this online forum - perhaps you're not in the best position to criticise other people's choices?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Over the last few days you've spent your time writing more than a couple of sneering posts on this online forum - perhaps you're not in the best position to criticise other people's choices?
    You what? Are you serious?

I've not written any sneering posts at all. If I have, quote them here.

Plus, it was a bit of fun for goodness sake. A laugh. You really need to get over yourself.

Edit 29 hours later - No response. No surprise. Apology accepted.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 17th February 2017 at 19:44.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

You wanna get out more mate.
    So someone who is thoroughly absorbed in watches to the point that they work in the field has waited "a lifetime" so see a watch so rare that it's existence is narrowed down to 4 known models on earth needs to get out more?
    Does a marine biologist want to get out more if they've waited to see a frilled shark?
    How about scientists and the Higgs boson?

TBH it's not really the buyer or those excited about the watch that are looking somewhat worse for wear in this thread. It's the queue of apparent watch affectionados trying to diminish it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    So someone who is thoroughly absorbed in watches to the point that they work in the field has waited "a lifetime" so see a watch so rare that it's existence is narrowed down to 4 known models on earth needs to get out more?
    Does a marine biologist want to get out more if they've waited to see a frilled shark?

TBH it's not really the buyer or those excited about the watch that are looking somewhat worse for wear in this thread. It's the queue of apparent watch affectionados trying to diminish it.
    What a bore you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    What a bore you are.
    Sorry I didn't mean to quote you.

- - - Updated - - -

For goodness sake I was having a laugh!

Maybe I should have put a laughing emoji at the end. I'll edit that now.

Apologies to all those I've offended with my terrible sense of humour or inability to appropriately use an emoji. For clarity, I fully understand why that bloke said what he said and why he was so excited.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    What a bore you are.
    If you're the alternative then I'm absolutely fine with that label.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

In my opinion it's pathetic paying amounts like this for a piece of engineering that's worth a few thousand. Do these people really get it home and think "thank god I grabbed that piece of steel shaped like a watch for £9m"

I'm happy for the sellers of all these rare watches that go for silly money though, I guess they get the last laugh.

The Rolex world makes me laugh too. Having some rare parts myself and seeing/feeling how rubbish they are in relation to what they are "worth" just makes me laugh.
    What a good humoured chap you are laughing at pretty much everything. Are you sure a watch forum is for you though? You seem to despise them.

What about classic cars? Artwork? London property? Ridiculous? Haha?

Or are all these super rich, super successful and apparently 'pathetic' people simply idiots and you're the smart one? I have my opinion, and you have yours.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    What a good humoured chap you are laughing at pretty much everything. Are you sure a watch forum is for you though? You seem to despise them.

Or are all these super rich, super successful and apparently 'pathetic' people simply idiots and you're the smart one? I have my opinion, and you have yours.
    👏

Craftsman
    Soon on Sales Corner..

Master

Bit of an odd post fella on a watch forum. Words like pathetic and ridiculous just aren't needed.

As with just about everything in life, it is where the market puts it. Like it, get involved, don't like it, don't waste your time getting emotive over it.
    Last edited by Devonian; 16th February 2017 at 21:33.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post

Right, despise them? What on earth makes you think you can tell me what I think of something? What has questioning the monetary 'value' of a watch and parts even got to do with what I like? I have been obsessed with them my whole life and I reserve the right to have an opinion. I'm not going to try and belittle you personally for your opinion, it's not the level I like to drop to.

It's just my opinion, no need to get so defensive about it is there really.

I just said I personally think 9 million pounds is insane money for a watch! And I do think it's a silly situation where we've got to this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if (as mentioned above) it was all an advertising campaign and probably a tax write off. Looks good for the brand to have the most expensive watch in the world.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks good for the brand to have the most expensive watch in the world.
    That would be breguet.

Journeyman
    Agree it seems a staggering amount to pay, despite my enthusiasm for watches

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Bit of an odd post fella on a watch forum. Words like pathetic and ridiculous just aren't needed.

As with just about everything in life, it is where the market puts it. Like it, get involved, don't like it, don't waste your time getting emotive over it.
    Isn't that what both sides of the opinion are doing, getting involved? I don't think either are particularly strong words, but I guess we're all different. Maybe they should be added to the swear filter ;)

I still don't see the issue with voicing your opinion. People getting offended on other people's behalf is a bit odd in my opinion but that's up to them.

The buyer must feel real stupid. I've just worked out he could have bought 56,250 Seiko 007's!

That was a joke before I get hung drawn AND quartered

You do realise this is a watch forum, don't you?
    "Pathetic", "ridiculous" and "makes me laugh" says to me you don't actually like many watches.
    Sounds much like jealousy to me, strange attitude for a horology based forum member.
    5c

Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    "Pathetic", "ridiculous" and "makes me laugh" says to me you don't actually like many watches.
    Sounds much like jealousy to me, strange attitude for a horology based forum member.
    5c

I was waiting for the jealousy card, yeah you got me I'm jealous. What is there to be jealous of? The only person that can be jealous of that situation is the other bidder that got beaten. Not someone that thinks spending £9m is mad for a watch.

One thing I don't like is people telling me what I do and don't like. So I don't appreciate people telling me I don't like watches just because I said £9m is too much for a watch! Tell my Son I don't like watches... He'll probably tell you I like them a "ridiculous" amount.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You don't like being told what you can like but it's alright for you to call someone pathetic for buying a rare watch?

Master

Yes that's a superb article - I love how one of the four turned up in New York in the 80s and was up for sale for a few thousand bucks!

"One thing I don't like is people telling me what I do and don't like"

What a great line, well done!

Master
    You don't like being told what you can like but it's alright for you to call someone pathetic for buying a rare watch?
    I didn't actually say I don't like being told what to do. I said, I don't like being told what I like.

Are you sure some of you chaps on here aren't journalists? You sure like to make the best out of what I've written.

I'm sure other people on here would agree that £9m is a stupid amount for a watch (and I'll just reiterate here - I love watches) but they probably refrain from posting due to the bully style backlash that seems to get handed out on here.

And someone getting annoyed because I laughed at the state of the used market, in particular Rolex (even when I said I had a couple of silly value Rolex parts myself)? Well, it seems you can't be a watch lover if you don't agree with the price to value ratio.

Blog Entries

Cool

I didn't actually say I don't like being told what to do. I said, I don't like being told what I like.

Are you sure some of you chaps on here aren't journalists? You sure like to make the best out of what I've written.

I'm sure other people on here would agree that £9m is a stupid amount for a watch (and I'll just reiterate here - I love watches) but they probably refrain from posting due to the bully style backlash that seems to get handed out on here.

And someone getting annoyed because I laughed at the state of the used market, in particular Rolex (even when I said I had a couple of silly value Rolex parts myself)? Well, it seems you can't be a watch lover if you don't agree with the price to value ratio.
    I have to agree, despite the buyer obviously looking at this as an investment, wonder if he had bid had he known this might possibly be worth only 70% in a few years ...?
    Or, was it purchased 'for the love of watches' ??

It does appear, there is only a certain 'brigade' here entitled to an opinion, others don't come into it !
    Opinions, just like our backsides, everyone has one !

Thanks for the link.

Totally agree, makes for interesting reading, and some good video interviews.

I'm sure other people on here would agree that £9m is a stupid amount for a watch

Well, it seems you can't be a watch lover if you don't agree with the price to value ratio.
    Anyone who thinks that the price paid for an incredibly rare watch made by the company generally taken to be the world's foremost producer watches has anything to do with value should be wary of throwing accusations of stupidity around.

Patek sells for a record breaking £9 million!

I think that most on here would be a little more moderate in expressing their opinions. Do you walk into a restaurant and loudly announce to everyone there that 'spending £500 on a bottle of wine is stupid?'.

Loads of different opinions here, all respected if expressed with a bit of respect.
    Last edited by alfat33; 17th February 2017 at 09:15.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Total bollocks

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Your posts or your watches??

Quote Originally Posted by bins View Post
    Soon on Sales Corner..
    Funny you should mention that, I was about to put it on Sales Corner for 9,675,000 before the hammer went down, as I knew I could get it for a cool 9m ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    5c
    I agree with him, it is crazy and I see no reason to empathise with the sad fool who thinks paying £9million is a good deal.

Maybe you'd like to claim that I don't belong on a watch forum too?..........I welcome your reply! His opinion is just as valid as yours or mine.

Far too much elitism on this forum thesedays, maybe it's time some of the rich boys f****ed off somewhere else.

Paul

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Any basic Rolex at £5k or more is a futility to start with.

All watches are fulities in the days of mobile phones.

So £5k futility or £9mln futility? What is the difference? Just numbers.

These are no longer watches but pieces of history.

Master
    Outrageous amount of cash.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Cutting edge journalism from the Mail-
    next week 'John Lennon has been shot dead'
    ...week after...'The Titanic is believed to have hit an iceberg'.

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erics View Post
    Any basic Rolex at £5k or more is a futility to start with.

All watches are fulities in the days of mobile phones.

So £5k futility or £9mln futility? What is the difference? Just numbers.

These are no longer watches but pieces of history.
    There is a difference between basic time keeping instruments which are no worries free very good at keeping time and luxury watches with mechanical calbers. The luxury watch is indeed not primarily a time keeping instrument on the wrist anymore and its value became detached from the actual product when in '83 Hayek and Biver came up with the marketing campaign to that goal.