closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lange & Söhne

Lange & Söhne

Oddly enough I've had a couple of Langes on the bench recently with detached date aperture frames.

In both cases it was probably due to vibration caused by a movement securing screw that had fractured allowing the movement to rattle around on one side, a relatively simple fix once I'd extracted the broken portion from the mainplate.

The gentleman that brought in the watch pictured above asked if I could take a look at his sons watch, I said sure what's the problem? I was told it got a little wet so when I asked how long ago he replied about a year or so!

That isn't a factory hammered finish on the case, it's meant to be polished. The back didn't look any better.

I removed the balance to check the pivots to asses how bad it really was.

The pivots had been completely ruined by corrosion so I could only imagine what the rest was like.

I told the chap it's going to need a visit to Lange to get it sorted, I'd hate to think what size the bill will be though! The moral of the story is if you get moisture in your watch get it checked straight away

upsetting that you can have such a nice watch and leave it like that for a year!!!

That Lange is shocking!
    It's just a matter of time...

Hmm, is that date surround simply glued on? Not what you'd hope for on the what are considered to be the worlds best finished (mass production) watches.

Some people don't deserve or appreciate what they have on their wrist.

We can all cause such accidents, but I would like to think that most of us would rectify the problem asap.

One hefty bill and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Hmm, is that date surround simply glued on? Not what you'd hope for on the what are considered to be the worlds best finished (mass production) watches.
    It's an interference fit I think, I couldn't see any trace of adhesive and it's a tight fit into the dial aperture. The window is beautifully engineered front, back and sides and would have stayed put had it not been for the constant rattling of the movement in the case due to the broken screw.

That's interesting. Shouldn't a good interference fit be able to cope with some vibration, even if the vibration shouldn't be there?

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    That's interesting. Shouldn't a good interference fit be able to cope with some vibration, even if the vibration shouldn't be there?
    If the date aperture frame was hitting the inside of the crystal, as I suspect it would with a broken retaining screw, then I could see it coming loose pretty quickly.

Quality thread, TWB; thanks for sharing your photos and thoughts! It seems to me that a quality 3-atm-rated case should be able to cope with a bit of water, but I suppose someone who would let a flooded watch corrode for a year might not be too fussed about getting it pressure tested, either.

That makes sense, thanks.

Master
    Forget the watch, it's the son who needs fixing.

Master
    How upsetting!!

Would love to know how it gets on

Master
    I would imagine it would pretty well be a compleatly new watch when all the damaged parts have been replaced

Wow what a mess, and i dont envy the repair bill, i have been hit with a couple of repair bills as of late, i can only imagine what the bill will be for that!

Wowza. Sad to see that. Looks like the next watch needs to be more waterproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk