closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex daytona crystal

Master

Rolex daytona crystal

Quick question, does anyone know where to source a crystal for a 2016 bi metal, seemed to have a slight and I mean very slight chip on the edge where it's slightly raised, is an aftermarket version any different as I believe there is no AR coating on the oem anyway, thanks in advance.
    There is no way I'm going back to the ad without repeatedly smacking the sales assistants face in so that's not an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I am mystified why anyone with such a valuable watch would allow anyone else to touch it other than an approved Rolex repairer using only genuine parts??? I know I would'nt!
    Because if I send it back to Rolex they will charge me a small fortune as it won't be under warranty as a repair, secondly I know an old guy who is a master watchmaker, I would trust this in his hands over anyone, that includes anyone rolex employ.

Master
    I wouldn't use aftermarket I'm making sure that I know the difference if I do locate one, it really is oem.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I would gladly pay the Rolex service charge if it meant getting the original cystal. An after market crystal is likely to be inferior and would de-value the watch.
    There really not worth as much as you might think, if I drop £1k having a new crystal it's going to be in more of ball ache with the money it's lost.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Quality mate! Thanks that's gonna save me a small fortune

You have PM on an EU source :)

Grand Master
    Gleaves supply a range of sapphire non-genuine Rolex crystals at around £25, complete with new gasket. I fitted one recently to my own Datejust and it looks fine, the only difference is the Rolex hologram in the glass which obviously isn`t there, otherwise I could tell no difference.

An alternative is to approach a Rolex accredited repairer who would fit a genuine Rolex crystal. On a 2016 watch worth several £K that may be more desirable; my Datejust's worth around £2500 and I could do the job myself, so clearly it was the right decision for me...........but it's horses for courses.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Gleaves supply a range of sapphire non-genuine Rolex crystals at around £25, complete with new gasket. I fitted one recently to my own Datejust and it looks fine, the only difference is the Rolex hologram in the glass which obviously isn`t there, otherwise I could tell no difference.

An alternative is to approach a Rolex accredited repairer who would fit a genuine Rolex crystal. On a 2016 watch worth several £K that may be more desirable; my Datejust's worth around £2500 and I could do the job myself, so clearly it was the right decision for me...........but it's horses for courses.

Paul
    Didn't know about the Rolex etching, thanks for the info.

Paul
    Paul,

I thought one of the main issues is not many Rolex independents work on the Daytona not sure if this is down to training or Rolex restricting supply of parts for certain models!

Master
    Also note MH pointed out in a post some time back that replacement "service" Cristal don't all have the etched coronet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Paul,

I thought one of the main issues is not many Rolex independents work on the Daytona not sure if this is down to training or Rolex restricting supply of parts for certain models!
    My AD will not service my 16520 Daytona. Evidently there is an agreement that only Rolex themselves can service it due to the Zenith/Rolex movement.

Grand Master
    Servicing a movement and replacing a crystal are two different things, I can't see why accredited repairers shouldn't replace crystals even though Rolex stipulate that only they can service the watch.

As for the Rolex symbol in the glass, I assumed all genuine replacement crystals would have this? Maybe I'm wrong on this point.

It's all crazy!

Paul

Master
    As for the Rolex symbol in the glass, I assumed all genuine replacement crystals would have this? Maybe I'm wrong on this point. l

This email was quite a puzzler.

H

Am I missing something Haywood?
    The way I read it is that new watches have the coronet but replacement crystals no longer do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Am I missing something Haywood?
    The way I read it is that new watches have the coronet but replacement crystals no longer do.
    ....and yet service glasses put in by Rolex UK patently often do have the coronet!

I suspect that if correct this may apply to certain models only, perhaps as stocks are run down, but frankly the email always left me scratching my head a little.

H

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    ....and yet service glasses put in by Rolex UK patently often do have the coronet!

H
    Ah, that's what I was missing!

Thanks for the clarification.

Grand Master
    If the genuine replacements don't have the coronet there seems little point in spending an extra £100+ on the real McCoy; the generic replacement I bought from Gleaves was fine.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Ah, that's what I was missing!

Thanks for the clarification.
    If you see clarity here, you're ahead of me.

Master
    Haywood, would you know how much a crystal change from rolex would cost? Obviously I want to avoid going bull ring to request a price for the work.
    Thanks.

Master
    I don't believe Rolex will fit a new glass, except as part of a service.

H

Master

H
    Understood, cheers mate.

Journeyman
    It sounds like your watch is beyond economical repair to the original specification and you should forward it to me for disposal

H
    I often read this, is any common sense applied to this 'rule' ?
    If you had the watch serviced say 6 months prior and then scratched / chipped the crystal, would they really still insist on that eye watering costly service?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    It's like charging for a full service on a car when the windscreen is broken !

Master
    I'd get someone with a Rolex parts account swap the crystal. They will be more more flexable than a RSC.

As I understand it, even on new Rolexes the so called etched coronet can sometimes be invisible, or very difficult to see.

My daughter's boyfriend chipped the edge of the crystal on his Daytona when it was a few months old. With a little negotiation, Rolex replaced it and didn't insist on a service. I believe it cost £300, though I'd not stand by that.

I recently helped a friend acquire a Daytona.

If you look very carefully, with a torch, most used examples have tiny marks on the edge of the crystal - the edge sits slightly above the bezel. I also noticed that the etched crown was quite often not visible, or virtually invisible, - easier to see on black dials than white.

Also, if yours is a 2016 model then, according to Rolex, it should have a 5 Year Warranty and 10 Year Service Intervals. It certainly shouldn't need a Service, but having a non-genuine crystal fitted by an independent might invalidate the warranty

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Also note MH pointed out in a post some time back that replacement "service" Cristal don't all have the etched coronet.
    All genuine crystals always have the coronet, but theres no little S in the coronet anymore.

If the crown is missing, its because its not at 6 o clock, have a look all the way around.... Some technicians forget sometimes to set the crown at 6 on the non-cyclops crystals.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    All genuine crystals always have the coronet, but theres no little S in the coronet anymore.
    Is that right? My understanding was the same as Captain Morgan's, i.e. that Haywood Milton has posted evidence from Rolex UK which states that service-replaced crystals now don't, or may not have, the coronet (at all).

Master
    Blog Entries

Original and service 16520 crystals differences and pushers?

Hi all,

I have a watch with Rolex London and along with a movement service this requires a new crown, they have asked if I would like optional parts exchanged and replaced (one pusher and the crystal). My question is does anyone know if these would differ with any little nuances? Service with originals on an A serial steel Daytona from 1999.

M