closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: G-Shock? Wouldn't buy one of them. But..............

Journeyman
    Any advice on best place to buy a Riseman?

I posted up a "WTB" wanted thread here - and had two offers in a week. Asides from that, eBay seems to be the only place (but a clean one goes for well over £120 in the past while).

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Akajak View Post
    Any advice on best place to buy a Riseman?
    I would say eBay, although you could try a WTB post here.

GW5000 arrived this morning

It might look almost the same as the 5600 but the feel is very different - more heft and generally seems like better quality.

I love the atomic function.

Wearing this at the moment

A week after its arrival the GW5000 continues to impress with its simple functionality and high quality build, however>

Having worn it for short and long periods with the strap at varying degrees if looseness I have to say that it is not wearing very comfortably at all. With the strap worn loose it flops around too much and makes the top of my wrist feel uncomfortable. Done up tighter it makes the bottom of my wrist ache. I have sensitive wrists and usually wear watches pretty loose - due I think to the case weight combined with my own particular wrist shape it doesn't tend to remain in place very well.

On the other hand the Riseman, which I wear far looser than can be done with the GW5000, sits in a stable and very comfortable way on my wrist. Its lighter of course but also a different shape which helps. I'm wearing it at the moment as I type this and despite its apparent bulk its hardly noticeable on the wrist. I would go as far as to say that its probably the most comfortable watch Ive worn to date.

The nearest I have come to this level of discomfort is when I have worn watches with bracelets. These are something that I like the look of but cannot get on with at all.

Just wondering whether anyone else has had the same experience with the GW5000?

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I found the GW5000 far more comfortable than the standard square G-Shocks because of its more pliable strap material. I had no complaints. However, I also find the combo strap very comfortable, which I suspect you wouldn't if you don't like bracelets. I don't like my watches worn too tight either.

Perhaps the GW5000 just isn't the watch for you? Good news that the Riseman is a better fit, though, so it isn't all bad news. :)

I think that its down to the weight of the case and my small and sensitive wrists

I have some spare straps on the way so will experiment to see if I can get a better fit.

I've noticed the DW5600 wears far more comfortably than my GW5610, and held side by side the case on the DW is slightly larger top to bottom than its solar atomic brother. I can wear the DW and not know I'm wearing it, whereas the other is either too tight or too loose. Amazing how different they are tbh!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Craftsman

I found this with a different metal cased, square G - the Spike Lee. I think the fairly thin straps just aren't enough to support the chunky metal bodied watch. I much prefer my current resin cased 5600 on the strap from the GW5000. That way you get a soft strap with a light watch head and it's very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    I found this with a different metal cased, square G - the Spike Lee. I think the fairly thin straps just aren't enough to support the chunky metal bodied watch. I much prefer my current resin cased 5600 on the strap from the GW5000. That way you get a soft strap with a light watch head and it's very comfortable.
    Yes, I see what you mean - when I fitted a softer strap to the original 5600 it was way more comfortable than the GW5000

I'm on my phone and can't find it... But on the show your g thread I posted up a link last week to the Japan only carbon fibre strap 5600. Has a titanium caseback and buttons. Weighs in at something silly like 45g! Seiya have them. I've bought to much and am on a self imposed ban for now... But that's one I'd like to try.

As you say though... The Riseman is ridiculously comfortable.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I'm on my phone and can't find it... But on the show your g thread I posted up a link last week to the Japan only carbon fibre strap 5600. Has a titanium caseback and buttons. Weighs in at something silly like 45g! Seiya have them. I've bought to much and am on a self imposed ban for now... But that's one I'd like to try.

As you say though... The Riseman is ridiculously comfortable.
    It's in rakuten also, http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/e...-gw-s5600-1jf/

Would love to try it, but I read somewhere that the casing is almost transparent which puts me off slightly

G-Shock? Wouldn't buy one of them. But..............

I hated the GW5000 rubber strap. The bracelet on the 5610 I have is much more comfortable as I can wear it looser. I bought an aftermarket one from TikTok or somewhere.

If the composite bracelet were cheaper I would probably give it a try but at £60+ I would rather not risk it!

Following a suggestion on WUS I decided to enlarge hole number 7 using a heated up screwdriver. The actual shape of the enlarged hole is better than it appears in the photo below I just haven't got round to smoothing out the edges yet.

Anyway, that was a waste of time as it sits no better on my wrist and feels just as uncomfortable due to noticeable flopping around.

At this point I give up, over to SC soon for someone who can get on with it - once Ive fitted a new strap of course.

Master
    If the composite bracelet were cheaper I would probably give it a try but at £60+ I would rather not risk it!
    I thought the same before laying out £60 but it really does make a big difference.

If you didn't like it it would some be snapped up on here as would your GW5000.

I see what you mean but Im not keen on playing the bracelet game again!

A new strap should arrive today and then its off to SC.

Not one of my more succesful impulse buys!

The other option is the NATO converter end bits

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

Yes, I did think about those going as far as to look them up on the Ticktox site - they all.seem designed for 24mm straps though which puts me off.

have to agree the resin strap on the 5xxx's are crap .

bought a used 5610 BC ('orrible reverse display thing) which came with a composite bracelet and used that bracelet to replace the resin strap on my 5610 1ER.

then by placing the resin strap on the BC and selling it the cost of the strap equated to the loss in the subsequent sale, just over 20 quid when you include the postage.

its my work watch - subsequent further scratching of the bull bars gave me an excuse to polish them back to the metal - photos at some point , perhaps...
    Last edited by bigbaddes; 9th March 2017 at 13:19.

i have used these with a 5600 a few years ago - works well but could make the watch head sit a tad high if you have a very flat or particularly large wrist.
    looked good with a 20mm black zulu though.

Ive put it on SC

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    It's in rakuten also, http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/e...-gw-s5600-1jf/

Would love to try it, but I read somewhere that the casing is almost transparent which puts me off slightly
    I was tempted, but reading around it seems the carbon fibre strap is quite stiff. It's also longer than usual, which means the end of the strap will stick out noticeably if you don't have a meaty enough wrist. So I passed, even though I really like the look and concept.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I was tempted, but reading around it seems the carbon fibre strap is quite stiff. It's also longer than usual, which means the end of the strap will stick out noticeably if you don't have a meaty enough wrist. So I passed, even though I really like the look and concept.

Crap, my wrists aren't that big so it probably wouldn't fit me very well, and I'm not a fan of having the excess strap sticking out...

Sigh....

The GW5000 sold quickly on SC so I am now down to the super comfortable Riseman (which I am wearing at the moment actually) - however, I did pick up another Riseman last night as new in box with papers for a very good price. Local to me too, 5 minutes drive away. Its a Taiwanese built one where as my original is MIJ. My intention with this second one is to fit a different coloured bezel and strap just for a bit of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    i have used these with a 5600 a few years ago - works well but could make the watch head sit a tad high if you have a very flat or particularly large wrist.
    looked good with a 20mm black zulu though.
    The plastic Casio NATO converters splayed from the case of my GW-M5600 at a fixed angle, causing the head to sit off the wrist. This was ungainly and impractical. They were also a bitch to fit.

The stainless converters I now use rotate freely, take a 24mm two part Zulu and are entirely functional. The combo is however hideous. The converters are angular blocks which can put gouges into door frames. The watch is reserved for groundworks and the like.

I never did get along with the original plastic strap and don't do bracelets.

To my mind, straps are the deliberate achilles heel of these watches. If I were ever to require another of this type I might first look at offerings from Timex.

Meanwhile this particular watch remains indestructible.

My trusty gym watch. 1 minute count down time for between sets :)

So I guess its really a case of finding the right G Shock for your particular wrist as there is some variance. The Riseman is the most comfortable watch I have ever worn where as the GW5000 was the least!

So I guess its really a case of finding the right G Shock for your particular wrist as there is some variance. The Riseman is the most comfortable watch I have ever worn where as the GW5000 was the least!
    For what it's worth, there's a great G-shock store in shoreditch, london.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    The Rangeman, Frogman and to a lesser extent the Mudman G-9300/GW-9300 are huge, but the Gulfman and Riseman are smaller and very comfortable.
    Just wondering - Does the Gulfman wear any larger than the Riseman and is it as comfortable?

I'm also wondering which other G Shocks are on a par with the Risemans comfort?
    Last edited by Velorum; 11th March 2017 at 11:36.

Just wondering - Does the Gulfman wear any larger than the Riseman and is it as comfortable?

I will go and check.

The Datsun needs welding and a new radiator but the end of the month will be here before we know it

Journeyman
    this is my day to day beater, I wear it on site (I am an architect) without any worry or hesitation and have thrown it into the washing machine when grubby more than a few times with no problem. I will always have a gshock!

Sent from my E2303 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The CR2320 battery in my module 691 DW5600C-1V (top left) requires replacing, however they are not easy to come by here so I have one on order.
    The battery for the DW5600C-1V arrived this week so I've fitted it and given the module a quick once-over. This watch dates from the late 1980s (module 901 was used from 1990). I'm very pleased to have this rock solid piece back up and running. I love the slightly quirky reminder function.

Incidentally this was the model of G-Shock worn by Officer Jack Traven in 'Speed'.

Master
    I've always thought G-Shocks are not for me, and garish colours definitely out.

I just bought this, really like it a lot!

Looks good - I like the orange

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I've always thought G-Shocks are not for me, and garish colours definitely out.

I just bought this, really like it a lot!

I have that model in the same colour scheme and love it, far better looking in person than from a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    I will go and check.
    The dimensions of the 2 watches are very similar. Lug to lug, they look about the same size, but the Riseman is a bit wider because of its bigger aspect ratio. The Gulfman has a titanium back compared to the steel back and plastic protector on the Riseman, but both are very comfortable on my 7.25 to 7.5 inch wrist. I would say that the Gulfman is marginally heavier than the Riseman.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am comparing a Riseman with a modern solar atomic Gulfman, i.e. The GW-9010. This has the same type of very comfortable double tang strap as the Riseman. All Gulfmans used to have a not very pliable single tang strap that is still used on the cheaper non-solar atomic (basic) versions. However, I believe that G-Shock owners were swapping the crap OEM straps for the one from a Riseman, which is the same size, although the writing on the strap didn't match the features of the Gulfman. I also understand that Casio took this on board and started fitting Riseman-type straps on the solar (GR-9010?) and solar atomic (GW-9010) Gulfman.

Thanks for that. I might try a Gulfman next then. The weight concerns me a bit but there is only one way to find out!

Aha, this arrived today, fresh from Velorum's grasp. I'd say it fits me perfectly. Cheers chap!

Glad you like it David.

They really are comfortable aren't they? Ive been wearing mine all day and despite its apparent bulk I often forget that I'm wearing it.

I've already posted on the other G Shock thread and Incoming, but this beast is lightweight, comfortable, super hard, and looks awesome. Never saw this kind of "desire" coming!

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I've already posted on the other G Shock thread and Incoming, but this beast is lightweight, comfortable, super hard, and looks awesome. Never saw this kind of "desire" coming!

D

That is..... Big

6.5 inch wrist. I think the camera makes it look bigger than it is, and the curved lugs and light weight normalise it

D

I have the exact same model. Very light, good presence and a hell of a lot cheaper than the full fat triple sensor Mudmaster. Bought after seeing one earlier on in this thread!!

I saw yours Andy, then a mates full fat GWG, which is 3x the price, in the real world. Like the reverse display on yours a lot

Dave

G-Shock? Wouldn't buy one of them. But..............

Sorry Andy, looking back on the thread it was Ade with the desert strap and reverse display, but I saw that thread hooked you in too.

D
    Last edited by helidoc; 14th March 2017 at 01:33.

Craftsman
    I own a Riseman and a GW5600 (well and 3 other G Shocks). The Riseman is the most comfortable one, doesn't feel bulky, the strap is perfect. And is extremely functional.