closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: G-Shock? Wouldn't buy one of them. But..............

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    I've had many G Shocks over the years; Ana digi, Giez, Gulfman, Mudman, solar atomic etc. Immediately flip them when I realise once again that they are horrible lumps of plastic. The standard straps are the worst so I tried a nato conversion kit, still horrible. I like the idea of them but I don't like to wear them.
    If you can find the softer, more pliable strap for the GW5000, you will experience a much more comfortable wear. I've fitted one to my DW-5600-MS and it makes all the difference. I'm not 100% sure but it could probably fit the DW-5600-E

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I had a fine old barometer on my boat many years ago and could make a pretty good guess at how the weather was changing by combining its readings with observation of the sky

(The Radio 4 shipping forecast helped as well of course)
    Welcome to the G-Shock club Velorum. If you're experimenting, I would strongly recommend trying a GW-5000. You have all of the classic looks but with modern technology (solar/atomic), a steel case and a subtle appearance. They are the best square Gs out there.

Thank you, rather enjoying it - a whole new world reveals itself.

Ordered a softer strap from Ticktox. According to my web surfing it should fit.

As regards the GW5000, well I guess that Seiya is my friend..............

Thank you, rather enjoying it - a whole new world reveals itself.

Ordered a softer strap from Ticktox. According to my web surfing it should fit.

As regards the GW5000, well I guess that Seiya is my friend..............
    I would have tried the Riseman strap first. They are very comfortable and come with a double tang buckle, which is a hallmark of the better G-Shock straps. Before Casio started fitting them as standard to the solar atomic GW-9010, many Gulfman owners bought Riseman straps to fit as they were better than the OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    I would have tried the Riseman strap first. They are very comfortable and come with a double tang buckle, which is a hallmark of the better G-Shock straps. Before Casio started fitting them as standard to the solar atomic GW-9010, many Gulfman owners bought Riseman straps to fit as they were better than the OEM.
    Ah, so the Riseman strap fits the 5600?

Ah, so the Riseman strap fits the 5600?
    No idea sorry. I meant that the Riseman strap is good on the Riseman.

I see!

Looking forward to trying it

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I wish Casio still made the kind of digitals that came just before the G-shocks eg DW210:

20atm, but without the G shock bulk
    I had a couple of those in the eighties and would buy one today if it was made

Craftsman
    Recently dug out my gwm5610 that i purchased a few years ago and it's been getting a lot of wrist time. Can't really go wrong with that good old 80s retro look

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    I recently got a Rangeman from the SC and found the strap a bit bulky for general use so ordered a jaysandkays conversion and 24mm NATO and wear it every day for work, the only thing that took a bit of working out was the Baro alarm with quick changes in pressure.

Blog Entries
    They are an ideal grab & go - I bought this GW-5600A-7ER for the rare occasions I participate in anything sporty...

I justified it (to myself) on the basis that the Atomic time keeping would allow me to set my others accurately too!
    Solar power means it'll never need any tinkering / battery replacement / resealing.

z

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
    I had a couple of those in the eighties and would buy one today if it was made
    The Casio DW-280 was made at about the same time as the first G-Shocks and can still be found nearly new for peanuts. More recently, there has been the DW-285 and DW-290, although the '290 can hardly be described as a looker.

These tough non-G Casio 200m and 300m digitals make a nice collecting theme of their own and have the advantage over G-Shocks of not being susceptible to the dreaded 'resin rot', apart from the straps.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    ".... I justified it (to myself) on the basis that the Atomic time keeping would allow me to set my others accurately too!
    Solar power means it'll never need any tinkering / battery replacement / resealing ... "
    Exactly my thinking, justifying my initial 5610 purchase ...... then I bought another, then another, then another and now have four (GW-M5610, Burton GW9400 Rangeman, GXW-56 and a GW1000D) .... oh dear .... (and quite fancy one of the new 'Military Black' series out next week on a cordura fabric strap) ....

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    The Casio DW-280 was made at about the same time as the first G-Shocks and can still be found nearly new for peanuts. More recently, there has been the DW-285 and DW-290, although the '290 can hardly be described as a looker.

These tough non-G Casio 200m and 300m digitals make a nice collecting theme of their own and have the advantage over G-Shocks of not being susceptible to the dreaded 'resin rot', apart from the straps.
    DW-210 NOT those you mention

According to a number of posts on WUS a product by the name of Vinylex is good as a preventative measure against 'resin rot'

According to a number of posts on WUS a product by the name of Vinylex is good as a preventative measure against 'resin rot'
    That's worth knowing. Thanks for sharing.

A genuine GW 5000 strap arrived from Ticktox this morning. Up close there is a small but perceptible difference in appearance. The feel however is very noticeable, much softer and 'rubbery'.

There is marked improvement in comfort. I like to wear straps quite loose (loose enough to insert a forefinger up the middle joint) and this one doesn't slide around quite so much as the original - not that it was that bad though. The end of the long piece stays in the keeper better too.

For an additional £20 I think that this is a really worthwhile upgrade.
    Last edited by Velorum; 21st February 2017 at 11:42.

NOS Riseman has arrived

I would never have believed that a watch this size would wear so comfortably. I am amazed.

Master
    Always wear mine with a combi bracelet but at £60 it's nearly as dear as the watch.

http://www.tiktox.com/gw-m5600bc-combi-strap.html

Master
    No surprise reading this, I'm a fan of their functionality. I've a solar atomic 6900 and there's something refreshing about wearing it knowing you have to take no extra care at all. They're the perfect one watch for any outdoor, diy etc occasion. Plus mine acts as a second alarm clock every morning.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 21st February 2017 at 13:15.

I would never have believed that a watch this size would wear so comfortably. I am amazed.

I literally forget I'm wearing my Riseman! The strap is very supple too which helps.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This wasn't a completely random thing to do on their part (oh, he likes watches, this one will do) but followed on from a conversation on space watches in which I had mentioned that a number of Casio's had been certified for use in space by NASA. Knowing that I have a childish excitement about all things space they did a bit of research on the internet and identified the DW5600e as falling into this category.
    I have one for the same reason.
    Pounced on one with display stand in display box.

Thanks for the entertaining thread, V.

The G-Shocks that NASA flight-qualified for space missions are DW-5600C, DW-5600E, DW-5900C, DW-6900 and 'Master of G' G-9000.

The 1987 DW-5600C was the earliest predecessor to your DW-5600E and came in a number of variants. The black version used by NASA was designated DW-5600C-1V and featured a screw down caseback, black bezel and strap and the text WATER 200M RESIST. Early versions used module 691, replaced by module 901 in 1990.

The CR2320 battery in my module 691 DW5600C-1V (top left) requires replacing, however they are not easy to come by here so I have one on order. The module 901 variant next to it has lost its bezel at some point but I rather like the look!

Top row: DW-5600C-1V (Module 691), DW-5600C-1V (Module 901), DW-5600E-1V.
    Bottom row: DW-5900C-9, DW-6900-1V, G-9000-1.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I agree, it is annoying. There's always one irritating thing about any watch I find!
    I have never noticed that until now.....

Sent while on the move

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    No surprise reading this, I'm a fan of their functionality. I've a solar atomic 6900 and there's something refreshing about wearing it knowing you have to take no extra care at all. They're the perfect one watch for any outdoor, diy etc occasion. Plus mine acts as a second alarm clock every morning.
    My favourite. Such a pity the negative display is so expensive.

Thanks for the NASA information Mr C - a very useful reference

Nice collection you have there too

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it suits you velorum.
    Youll be sporting an Apple Watch next mind. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Always wear mine with a combi bracelet but at £60 it's nearly as dear as the watch.
    If you're into a change of straps the combi bracelet is certainly worth a try. It never looks great (to me) in photos, as the taper looks too severe; however, on the wrist it looks fine and believe me, it's soooo comfortable!

Beyond that, what surprised me about the combi bracelet was how good its quality was. I was expecting something with a very plastic-y feel, but it isn't like that at all. It's solid, and while lighter than metal bracelets, it has some weight on the wrist to give a feeling of substantiality. Plus the practicality of not having to fiddle with the strap each time you take in on and off.

Finally, I echo dkpw's comments about the GW-5000. Best one I've owned, second to none. Try one before the G-Shock bug wears off!

Craftsman
    Love mine. Some however are a bit big hen wearing a shirt. Love solar, atomic and negative display.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I think it suits you velorum.
    Youll be sporting an Apple Watch next mind. ;)
    Well as they say, its good to try most things at least once. Something I have always tried to do as regards anything I am curious about.

Not sure I should divulge this here but I wore one for a day - hated it

Thanks for the NASA information Mr C - a very useful reference

Nice collection you have there too
    Cheers, and sorry about the poor photograph, the lighting was rotten. When I get a round tuit I will start a 'Watches Space-Flight Qualified by NASA' thread.

They are great aren't they? I'm glad you like it. Next, you will be wanting a Gulfman, Mudman......

A genuine GW 5000 strap arrived from Ticktox this morning. Up close there is a small but perceptible difference in appearance. The feel however is very noticeable, much softer and 'rubbery'.

There is marked improvement in comfort. I like to wear straps quite loose (loose enough to insert a forefinger up the middle joint) and this one doesn't slide around quite so much as the original - not that it was that bad though. The end of the long piece stays in the keeper better too.

They are a lot better aren't they! :)

Journeyman

I do like mine to bash about in.

Sent while on the move

Craftsman

I did the same and agree it's a great upgrade. I got my watch for £25 on SC so the combo is both very cheap and a real favourite!

I then put the original 5600 strap on a GW6900 that I got in an Amazon sale which now fits my wrist better. So two very cheap, comfortable watches. Happy days.

The 6900 is one of the best watches to fit the combi-bracelet, for some weird reason it makes it look and feel slightly smaller.

Also great fun, but not readily available from UK suppliers, is the GD350 which is one of the few "Vibrator" G-shocks with a vibro alert for timers etc and a fantastic world timer module.

Craftsman
    Had a mad fit a couple of years ago and decided to try them out so I bought five. This was total overkill and I sold them very quickly. Really I think I should have bought just one and try give it a fair shot.

I do own one Casio, a cheapie world timer great for painting or when I'm at the car.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Also great fun, but not readily available from UK suppliers, is the GD350 which is one of the few "Vibrator" G-shocks with a vibro alert for timers etc and a fantastic world timer module.
    I absolutely agree, that one is excellent for travellers, particularly to areas where it is unwise to wear something more conspicuously expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I absolutely agree, that one is excellent for travellers, particularly to areas where it is unwise to wear something more conspicuously expensive.

Absolutely Matthew and of course the really powerful back light is a big help!

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post

Finally, I echo dkpw's comments about the GW-5000. Best one I've owned, second to none. Try one before the G-Shock bug wears off!
    The import duty bill came this morning (£63!) - according to Parcelforce it will be delivered on Tuesday

Craftsman

Riseman spares from the show your G-Shock thread

I hope you don't mind me swapping over to this thread velorum. The strap for the Riseman arrived this morning and I have to give a shout out to watchbatteryukltd. Fast delivery and it looks the part to me in a sealed Casio packet. I just hope the bezel arrives like this.

Yes, I realised earlier that I had gone OT in the show your G shocks thread - which I don't think was intended for discussion on parts etc!

The strap looks good
    Last edited by Velorum; 25th February 2017 at 14:15.

Craftsman
    Just wanted to recommend combi-bracelet as well, comfortable and tough, ideal for gshock. It adds some weight as well, which I appreciate

I love my G's... two of the best IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    I hope you don't mind me swapping over to this thread velorum. The strap for the Riseman arrived this morning and I have to give a shout out to watchbatteryukltd. Fast delivery and it looks the part to me in a sealed Casio packet. I just hope the bezel arrives like this.

Do you mean with the sensor decal already attached or a free Riseman with the strap ;)

Craftsman
    The nice man from Tiktox just emailed.

There are a couple of GW-9200 Riseman bezels, complete with the little sensor logo, in stock. Better be quick!

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    The nice man from Tiktox just emailed.

There are a couple of GW-9200 Riseman bezels, complete with the little sensor logo, in stock. Better be quick!
    Happy days! Bagged a bezel (with sensor sticker) and a strap while I was at it. Thanks for the heads up.

Master
    I love G-Shocks, have 3 Mudmaster's at the moment