closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: G-Shock? Wouldn't buy one of them. But..............

G-Shock? Wouldn't buy one of them. But..............

Despite having always been drawn to vintage manual movement dress pieces I am not averse to a good quality quartz every now and then. Indeed Ive owned a number including the classic Seiko 7a28 chrono, the rare and lovely 1620 Speedmaster and a few of Eddies fine examples.

However Ive never felt the slightest inclination to buy a G-Shock. I have a somewhat old fashioned and illogical dislike of plastic and these have always looked way too 'plasticky' and modern for my taste.

Well, the other day I was given one as a gift by a family member. This wasn't a completely random thing to do on their part (oh, he likes watches, this one will do) but followed on from a conversation on space watches in which I had mentioned that a number of Casio's had been certified for use in space by NASA. Knowing that I have a childish excitement about all things space they did a bit of research on the internet and identified the DW5600e as falling into this category.

In consequence the other day this arrived

Oh dear, I thought, that looks as though it will go straight into a cupboard only to be worn briefly when they visit. However, why not try wearing it for a while?

Ive now been wearing a few days and have to say that I am absolutely astonished as to how good this plastic lego brick style thing is!

The fact that I managed to set the time and date etc without resorted to a google search (technology for dummies.com) was a revelation. Despite its size it wears remarkable well as its so light. I can read the LCD digits without my glasses and the built in illumination is spot on. The resin case actually doesn't feel cheap and nasty and the strap is amazingly comfortable. Quite simply, I would never have thought that these things were so good!

This morning when I got up I passed over my usual vintage daily wearers and put it on without a second thought.

Despite being the smallest G-Shock you can get (I think) it still dwarfs my usual wearers

As I have said its a big piece, but being as its light as a feather then it doesn't feel like you've strapped a clock to your wrist.

Considering how some of the other G-Shock models dwarf this one in photos then they must be absolutely huge.

"I must have joined the modern age" I quipped to my daughter - "well the late 20th century I suppose" she retorted.

Smart arse.

Last edited by Velorum; 19th February 2017 at 00:09.

It will feel large - no, huge! - compared to your vintage dress watches however you'll adapt, and you're correct in stating that the 5xxx series is the baby of the (adult) G family. Great watches though, I've a 5610 and a 5000 as I get a kick out of the nerdy solar and atomic functions, I'm wearing the 5610 right now actually as it's normally what I have on when knocking about at home.

If you think that the 5xxx is big get a GX56 on your wrist!

Edit to add that I didn't realise that the 5600 was certified by NASA, as if I need another nerd reason for buying another watch...
    Last edited by CardShark; 15th February 2017 at 15:29.

Master
    These are (almost) the only digital watch that I would wear; they ooze retro fabulousness !

That's a classic. I feel the same way about mine, the 5000. Looks good and feels good and I like the accuracy from the atomic syncing. Nice also not to have to worry about bashing or marking it. Plus it reminds me of the first watch I had growing up in the 80s, same square shape although it was probably a lot smaller.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I wish Casio still made the kind of digitals that came just before the G-shocks eg DW210:

20atm, but without the G shock bulk

I love the 5600e, I don't think it can be beaten for form v function v price. I currently have the 5610 solar atomic version which is basically the same design and size with an uprated module in it.

Enjoy - you're one of us now ;)

Master
    I've had a few G-Shocks, digital, analogue and ana-digi models, and I like them mostly. The one thing that really bugs me with the digital versions though is the MM-DD date format, which if I understand correctly, cannot be changed to DD-MM which is more commonly used here in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    I've had a few G-Shocks, digital, analogue and ana-digi models, and I like them mostly. The one thing that really bugs me with the digital versions though is the MM-DD date format, which if I understand correctly, cannot be changed to DD-MM which is more commonly used here in the UK.
    I agree, it is annoying. There's always one irritating thing about any watch I find!

I've discovered this recently too! Got my son a GW5600 atomic solar which wears brilliantly! Then, got myself a "Riseman" and can't take the thing off! Brilliant watches (the more reasonably sized ones anyway).

Blog Entries
    The larger ones are on the bigger size.

Oh dear. When a die hard succumbs to one of these things what hope do I have? I do not like them and I will not buy one, ever. No doubt I'm doomed.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Halfling View Post
    I do not like them and I will not buy one, ever.
    Exactly what I used to say

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Exactly what I used to say
    Ha! This is what worries me!

Looks excellent on you! ....slippery slope now? Mudmaster next lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The larger ones are on the bigger size.

The Rangeman, Frogman and to a lesser extent the Mudman G-9300/GW-9300 are huge, but the Gulfman and Riseman are smaller and very comfortable.

Ive had an interesting afternoon surfing the net in an attempt to educate myself (anything to avoid work )

I think I will need far longer - crikey its a whole subject with in itself!

Of the myriad of functions that I will never need the barometric function along with atomic time setting of the Riseman probably appeals to me the most.

Probably a good thing that its no longer in production.

Master
    I allways thought I only like G-shock in theory (undestructable, good functions) and have tried some g-9000 standard and 6900/5600. But it wasn't until last summer when I got a olive Rangeman I really begin to like wearing them. It was a daily wearer for quite the time. Sold it later though but got a black one today. The quality and functions on modern g's are quite amazing for the price. Only minor is they are big so best for the summer imo.

All in all everyone should at least try one even if you hate them ;)

I vowed never to wear a quartz or a digital when I was a one watch man (and blissfully happy) but then I found watch forums........... I now choose digital (G-Shock) and quartz for certain situations, and wouldn't be without my rangeman

Ive had an interesting afternoon surfing the net in an attempt to educate myself (anything to avoid work )

I think I will need far longer - crikey its a whole subject with in itself!

Of the myriad of functions that I will never need the barometric function along with atomic time setting of the Riseman probably appeals to me the most.

Probably a good thing that its no longer in production.
    I picked up a really mint riseman via a wtb last month. It's brilliant! Every function you could need yet comfortable and well sized. I don't need a barometer on my wrist... But it's fun to have one!

One of our fellow tzers has one in the attic for £80. The best of the g's in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I picked up a really mint riseman via a wtb last month. It's brilliant! Every function you could need yet comfortable and well sized. I don't need a barometer on my wrist... But it's fun to have one!

One of our fellow tzers has one in the attic for £80. The best of the g's in my opinion.
    The Riseman is a fantastic watch that has some advantages over its replacement, the Rangeman. The recent trend in barometric pressure is displayed in the "eye", even when the watch is in time mode and its smaller size will suit some people. It is discontinued, but easy to find second hand on eBay in good condition. A good clean and a new bezel and strap from Tiktox or Pacparts and it's as good as new.

If the watch must be brand new, the solar atomic Gulfman GW-9010 is worth considering if you like the Riseman.

I bought an analogue (because I can't see the digital display!) GA-100 off a bloke on here for less than 50 notes.

Since I got it, I've worn it more often than any of my other watches.

I've been looking at steel analogue Gs for weeks, but I'm not going to succumb...
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    The Riseman is a fantastic watch that has some advantages over its replacement, the Rangeman. The recent trend in barometric pressure is displayed in the "eye", even when the watch is in time mode and its smaller size will suit some people. It is discontinued, but easy to find second hand on eBay in good condition. A good clean and a new bezel and strap from Tiktox or Pacparts and it's as good as new.

If the watch must be brand new, the solar atomic Gulfman GW-9010 is worth considering if you like the Riseman.
    I bought a Rangeman off the back of liking the Riseman so much. It lasted 2 minutes. Flipped it today on SC. Whilst I loved some of the improvements (compass was fun.. sunrise/sunset, auto light, quick start of the stopwatch) I couldn't get comfortable on the wrist with it. It actually really hurt to wear. Slipped my Riseman back on... perfect!

I had a MIB negative display Riseman a few years back but moved it on as I couldn't read the dark display. I just don't get them. Stealthy and all that... but what use if its blacked out and impossible to read?!

I have a soft spot for the 5600's.
    It's just a matter of time...

I've never had one and never even worn one but the huge MTGs keep drawing my attention.

At the £300 they sell for on here they're worth a try but I couldn't spend a grand on one!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I've never had one and never even worn one but the huge MTGs keep drawing my attention.

At the £300 they sell for on here they're worth a try but I couldn't spend a grand on one!
    I just ordered myself one of these....hopefully looks as good as it does in the piccies!

Master
    I'm on the lookout for a Casio F80
    Was my first digital watch - I got it for my 13th birthday.
    Sadly met it's maker when I decided to take it apart to see how it worked !!!!

maseman

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    I just ordered myself one of these....hopefully looks as good as it does in the piccies!

Great watch. Where did you source it from?

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Great watch. Where did you source it from?

Mitch
    Hi Mitch, it is currently on sale at Jura watches...great price 40% off!

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Hi Mitch, it is currently on sale at Jura watches...great price 40% off!
    Extra 10% off with code GSHOCK10 too folks.. makes the 5600-1ER £64.80 and the Rangeman a touch over £150.

Banned
    I've had many G Shocks over the years; Ana digi, Giez, Gulfman, Mudman, solar atomic etc. Immediately flip them when I realise once again that they are horrible lumps of plastic. The standard straps are the worst so I tried a nato conversion kit, still horrible. I like the idea of them but I don't like to wear them.

Craftsman
    The basic 5600 has to be the best bang for buck watch in the world.
    I got mine for £50 a couple of years ago, I wasn't expecting much but it has been my trusty beater/sailing watch for those two years.

I bought a F91W years ago to wear when I was windsurfing (must be 30 years ago!).

I guess I've still got it somewhere.

The closest I'll get to owning/wearing a G-Shock unless someone buys me one and I feel obliged to wear it now and then...

Whilst the F91W is a cheap functional thing, G-Shocks always seem a bit fraudulent to me (especially the stupidly expensive ones).

M.

Extra 10% off with code GSHOCK10 too folks.. makes the 5600-1ER £64.80 and the Rangeman a touch over £150.
    Does this code work for anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Yes. Seems to work for all ok.

Damn. Just ordered a gshock 5610 at £72 from £120, just called to cancel and redo with the extra 10 per cent and was told you can't use the 10 per cent code in the sale and the web team are going to cancel any orders with the two offers combined. I hope anyone whose ordered gets there order fulfilled!

Can't seem to use the 10% code now, at least on the Rangeman anyway.

Can't seem to use the 10% code now, at least on the Rangeman anyway.
    It looks like they've deleted that code altogether from the website.

Journeyman
    The Riseman is a brilliant watch, love the fit and feel of it. Thinking about getting a Rangeman next, I can't help buying g shocks, love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    The Riseman is a brilliant watch, love the fit and feel of it. Thinking about getting a Rangeman next, I can't help buying g shocks, love them.
    I'm on my 2nd Riseman - and just in the way you've said... thought that I'd love to try the Rangeman. After all... it's the new improved version.

It lasted 2 minutes. Yes, its got better features... but on my 7" wrist it was agony! The display is nicer on the Riseman too - better contrast and better proportioned.

I'm on my 2nd Riseman - and just in the way you've said... thought that I'd love to try the Rangeman. After all... it's the new improved version.

It lasted 2 minutes. Yes, its got better features... but on my 7" wrist it was agony! The display is nicer on the Riseman too - better contrast and better proportioned.
    It depends on what you are used to and what you prefer. I love both, but would acknowledge that the Rangeman has both large size and heft on the wrist. The Riseman on the other hand is so light and unobtrusive, you could forget you are wearing a watch at all.

Oh dear................

Ive bought a NOS Riseman, should arrive next week

Oh dear................

Ive bought a NOS Riseman, should arrive next week
    Never mind, I'm sure that you'll love it. Did you get it on eBay?

Never mind, I'm sure that you'll love it. Did you get it on eBay?
    Yes, UK seller

Being as they are spoken of so highly I thought that I would try one and if its not for me then it should be relatively easy to move on via SC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Agreed. I have 5 G-Shocks, but the Riseman is my favourite. Full of features, and quite thin and comfortable to wear.

I find the barometric feature particularly exciting

I find the barometric feature particularly exciting
    You won't regret it! Tip for the barometer... When in barometer mode, hit the top left 'adjust' button once and it changes from the graph to an arrow/trend indicator.

As said above, so comfortable you'll forget you're wearing it!

You won't regret it! Tip for the barometer... When in barometer mode, hit the top left 'adjust' button once and it changes from the graph to an arrow/trend indicator.

As said above, so comfortable you'll forget you're wearing it!
    Great tip! I wasn't aware of that and I've got a few Riseman.

Great tip! I wasn't aware of that and I've got a few Riseman.
    I much prefer it this way - the barometer graph is always on the home screen, so its a good 2nd view/prediction of the trend.

Just in case you haven't noticed.. top right button on home screen gives you a quick glance at your 2nd time zone without the hassle of having to cycle through stopwatch/timer/etc to get back home.

Bottom right on home screen gives a quick look at your last atomic sync.

I had a fine old barometer on my boat many years ago and could make a pretty good guess at how the weather was changing by combining its readings with observation of the sky

(The Radio 4 shipping forecast helped as well of course)