closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: tales from the workshop - American Iron!!! *Pic Heavy!*

Blog Entries

tales from the workshop - American Iron!!! *Pic Heavy!*

I have mentioned it before: the announced arrive of a big piece of American Iron: a Packard! I assumed that it was a 1938 car, but this is a 1935 series 120 Coupe de Ville.
    A remarkable car: as far as we know the only existing specimen of this model! The car came to Europe in 1936 (!) as a chassis-only. The first owner, a Parisian banker commissioned a French coach builder to build a body on the chassis. That makes it even more special: the only other model like this, is a LeBaron body. But when you google that model, the differences are obvious!

The current owner owns the car since 1993, together with two other Packards (and a bunch of other classics). Although the 24 yr ownership, the car has never ran! For years, he's been busy restoring the car - with great result, the painting is nothing less than beautiful. But the final touches had to be done by a professional. So a few years back, the car went to the eastern part of the county, to a restorer who didn't do anything with the car! It was gathering dust. Now after three years of neglect, the car was brought to us. Don't ask why the previous restorer didn't do his job.

The 2800 kg heavy car is not something we can pull safely with the Defender 90, so we had to turn to an agricultural workshop down the road for a helping hand. These farmer boys know how to handle a big lump of iron - being used to harvesters, combines and big John Deere stuff. But it had to be done on a shoestring off course(...) and we had to wait for a spot in their schedule and fine weather! Yesterday was the day! They turned up with almost 7 meters of Detroit's Finest! A little unexpected, so it had to be stored in the back before it can be rolled into the shop (we're going to regret this... the car doesn't run).

The car is stunning as it is! An 8 cyl engine, independent front suspension, hydraulic (yes!) brakes and it is huuuuuuuge! By far the biggest car in the shop. Ever.

The brief from the owner: 'Sort it out, finish it - so that I can enjoy it'

We're not sure how long the list is going to be. First thing: the car doesn't run. So we called the cavalry: an old local guy I've mentioned here before. We call him 'uncle Bill'. 90 y/o, mechanic since he left school at the age of 12. That man is incredible. He's one of last the people capable of handling white metal for casting bearings! Luckily he told us straight away that this model has 'normal' bearings...

Uncle Bill pulled out a fag, light it up and started assessing the possible problem, cigaret in the corner of his mouth. Brilliant old school mechanic. Like the ones we remember from our childhood. Luckily, he was very positive: gummed up fuel or ignition problem. "These things always have compression and the head gaskets are unbreakable, so no worries about that, I will start with the carburetor and work my way back - nothing wrong with fresh stuff for the transport of fuel to the carb."

I'll trouble you with regular updates off course.

Packard's Swan(?) the correct ornament but... a hint of Hispano Suiza perhaps

Why do I always think that these cars are black...

Same weight as my VW Up, perhaps?

Don't get fooled by the length of the guy next to the car; he's 2m 6cm

Quick pic of the dash. Note, no floor! Like some British cars, wood we think. But we have to find that out.

Jag on the left and the right - Matchbox-like cars compared with the Packard

Look at the way these teeth are machined for opening the windows!

Something we have to think about how to tackle it (or by whom)

Master
    How cool is that! Great post, looking forward to the updates already (please!)

What a lovely old thing! I used to know a chap who collected 40s Chevrolets. The scale of these old American cars is fabulous.

Fabulous.

Packard - the American Rolls Royce.

Look forward to seeing more Menno.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Definitely looking forward to following this thread!

That looks a big project - I like the window ratchets ! I guess you would have to make parts for most of it ?

What does the string control ?

Beautiful old thing, can't wait for the thread to unfold!

Blog Entries
    The piece of string... The doors open and shut like the proverbial vault door. But the one on the driver's side lacks a stop. It swings open too far. The string is now attached to the steering wheel to prevent too enthusiastically opening the door and hitting the wing of the MKII Jag...

A lot of parts are stored at the owner's. He came to realise that his car wouldn't be touched by the previous restorer, so he started to scratch everything together: all parts that are easy to lose are in his house. Including the spare tyre and cover. There's even a wiring loom diagram for the car. It's so easy! But, 6 volts! We pulled out the spark plugs and poured a squirt of engine oil down the holes, on top of the cylinders. That's an old fashioned trick to ensure proper compression and it will lubricate the cylinder walls. Safety first!

That's all for now; it's too tight around the car for us to work on. We have two projects on the ramps: the silver Jag Coupe with the new vinyl roof; now with a properly working airco and heater. That one comes along nicely. It's plain sailing from here on. I'll take pics of that one too, because it's going to be one of the prettiest on the road. And we have the pre-shown TR6: taking it apart very carefully but not too far. First, we want to have 'green light' to lift the body off the chassis. So, major jobs to get us through 2017!

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 15th February 2017 at 20:24.

Remarkable and marvellous in equal measure. The thought of what this might cost has made me feel faint, I'm reaching for a strong drink........
    F.T.F.A.

Just wonderful.

Please keep us updated on all 3 Menno. Good craftsmanship is always a pleasure to watch.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Thanks for posting. That engine looks as bomb proof as possible....

That's something else!

Looking forward to updates.

R

PS SWMBO's got a VW Up, I suspect your engine weighs more...
    Last edited by ralphy; 16th February 2017 at 13:31.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Please keep us updated on all 3 Menno. Good craftsmanship is always a pleasure to watch.
    Drifting off topic, but too nice not to show. Today in the shop: two JAG Coupés, same colour, even the same specs. The chassis numbers are 57 cars apart. How's that! 57 is perhaps a lot, but not many of these were built and how are the odds that... they are a complete copy of each other, they both went to to the US, both were imported into Europe by different owners in different years. And now.. meeting after so many years in a workshop!

Menno

The one at the back needs a new headlining. Jaguar came up with a nice solution of profiled plastic, covered with soft padding material (here rolled on the roof of the car in front). And the padding is covered with the new headlining fabric. There's also a large, square-ish piece that's covered the same way. The profiled parts hold the big piece up. Nice and tidy. To make the most of it: this is perfect moment to produce two complete headlining for both cars: the one in the back will be first, the one in front has to wait for a while until all work inside the cabin is done upon the moment that the headlining for that car can be installed.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 16th February 2017 at 17:01.

Now that is a remarkable coincidence, obviously know where they'll be well treated!

Will vinyl wrapped roof's ever make a comeback!

What a wonderful coincidence. What a great job you have bringing these wonderful cars back to life.