closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watch > Car

Watch > Car

Like many here I run my cars on a business lease so never own them. Back before I discovered leasing I used to buy at 3 years old and sell at 6 years old. So back then when I bought the car it would be worth more than the current value of any of my watches, but after 3 years and 60,000 miles it would be worth less than the current value of either my Navitimer or my Panerai...

This seems about right to me.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mycroft; 14th February 2017 at 19:26.

3 of my 5 proper watches are with more than my car.

Cost more to service too!

Quote Originally Posted by mrpgkennedy View Post
    yep

and wear it to work, the great thing is almost nobody recognises the brand, and non=body recognises the watch

sorry not the best photo of it

That's mint what model is it

Master
    I tend to run my cars to death, my current one is worth way less than my most expensive watch. Even when bought was worth about the same than my most expensive watch at the time. The collection will always be worth more than a single car.
    Having said that, I have no issues stepping out of my wife's corsa doing the school run wearing a Patek, and why should I?

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I have a rough old Audi on the drive that I was looking to dispose of recently. I was actually offered £9 for it by a breaker, so on that basis I have a strap worth more than my car! 😀

Journeyman
    My cars worth about £300, I will wait until it dies and then replace it.

It doesn't seem right for my watch to be worth more than my car, but in my case and the way the cars depreciated its not surprising.

Journeyman
    Most of the watches in Argos are worth more than my car!

Even my GF says I need a new car but I promised I would run this one into the ground.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by scorchio View Post
    Generally the cars I've owned have been more expensive than the watches I've owned. I've had new, or nearly new cars and change them quite frequently. I should get a solid car that's already depreciated save the money and buy more expensive watches !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    *breakthrough moment*

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Probably in the minority here where my car has better residuals than a sports rolex.
    What's your car Mido?

Craftsman
    yep

and wear it to work, the great thing is almost nobody recognises the brand, and non=body recognises the watch

I would. What a watch! :swooooon:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuttington View Post
    I have a rough old Audi on the drive that I was looking to dispose of recently. I was actually offered £9 for it by a breaker, so on that basis I have a strap worth more than my car! 
    Ha ha you win the thread :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helmbarrie View Post
    This is a watch forum so it is likely that many of us have watches worth more than their car. My BMW was over £40000 new 16 years ago. I paid less than half that 13 years ago. It is now worth circa £2000. On the other hand my watches especially Rolex have appreciated quite well, having more than doubled from the price I paid. Having watches worth more than your car makes financial sense. You may get a different view on a car forum
    Guess I wrongly assumed that most people lease. In hindsight that was stupid. My 'hardcore' statement then assumed value against any new car, which would be anything from 10k up..

yep

A simply stunning watch mate, well done!

Journeyman

Same here.

I own several watches, worth each of them more than my car,which is brand new by the way.
    Thing is I prefer to spend my money to watches than anything else.

Journeyman
    I have a BMW and a Damasko so there is some teutonic synergy there!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    My 205 GTi is worth roughly 5 times more than what i paid for it 3 years ago.

It still wouldn't buy me a new submariner at current prices though.
    Merc cosworth, and an SVA elise Sport 160. I would gladly swap them for a DB5...

Master
    My watch is worth many times the financial value of both cars I own.....

Master
    But they are sheds......

Yes.

And I will more happily spend the price of a decent car on a watch without a moment's hesitation, whilst giving myself sleepless nights before committing to a new car purchase.

;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    I tend to run my cars to death, my current one is worth way less than my most expensive watch. Even when bought was worth about the same than my most expensive watch at the time. The collection will always be worth more than a single car.
    Having said that, I have no issues stepping out of my wife's corsa doing the school run wearing a Patek, and why should I?
    I remember someone posting a photo on a pistonheads watch thread of their PP clearly being worn behind the wheel of a mini. Several people commented that that man had his priorities all wrong.

I don't think you should have an issue. But I know my wife would have some issues if she knew any of my watches cost many times the value of her car. This is why i stick to watches that look similar to each other and hide the boxes.

Master
    I like cars way more than I like watches. I have a decent collection but I don't think I have ever had a watch or collection that would come anywhere near to any car I have owned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Like many here I run my cars on a business lease so never own them. Back before I discovered leasing I used to buy at 3 years old and sell at 6 years old. So back then when I bought the car it would be worth more than the current value of any of my watches, but after 3 years and 60,000 miles it would be worth less than the current value of either my Navitimer or my Panerai...

This seems about right to me.

Simon

I've not moved onto leases yet (might for the next) but this is exactly what I do, and exactly the situation I find myself in. The collection is also comfortably worth more than either of the last two cars I bought at 3 years old, although the car was comfortably more than the most expensive watch. I really like cars, and driving, but living in London and doing 5-6k miles per year I can't justify a massively depreciating asset when I have a mortgage and a daughter + I think SWMBO would divorce me if I spent all our cash on cars as well!

Master
    Just bought a new car which means that I have buttons left to spend on new watches.

Not sure that I have my priorities right but I do not like the idea of leasing and I would rather just buy such things outright in cash and have done with it.

So, none of my watches approach the current value of my car. I suspect this will not be the case in about 5 or so years' time though !

I have three cars, all not worth a lot. An old mitsubishi FTO in good nick, an old mark one audi tt which was and still is a money pit but worth bugger all (future classic?) and have just picked up Lexus LS400 so can fit the kids. My GMT BLNR is worth more than all three of the cars put together! Comes down to the mileage you do in my case anyway which is about 4k a year if im lucky.
    Have come to the conclusion that spending loads of money on a depreciating asset on the driveway that doesn't get driven is akin to flushing cash down the toilet

Thinking that the Lexus will not deppreciate further now as quitw rare in good nick and should go on for a few years, hence potentially freeing up the watch fund

Sent from The Isle Of Sheppey

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Yes.

And I will more happily spend the price of a decent car on a watch without a moment's hesitation, whilst giving myself sleepless nights before committing to a new car purchase.

;-)
    Anyone that knows your watch collection wouldn't be too surprised to hear this.

However, also knowing what car you own has certainly caused me to raise an eyebrow!
    Much respect.

I also own a watch that cost more / is worth more than my car.
    I love watches and hate cars so it's not unsurprising.
    Last edited by Dave O'Sullivan; 15th February 2017 at 22:41.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    That's mint what model is it

it's my pam 365, the back is even cooler but useless for telling the time

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I remember someone posting a photo on a pistonheads watch thread of their PP clearly being worn behind the wheel of a mini. Several people commented that that man had his priorities all wrong
    It was actually this photo.

But I could have posted this photo

Unfortunately, a lot of posters on Pistonheads are all for posting photos of their watch in front of their expensive fast car steering wheel generally Rolex and Porsche. My photo was a foil to these type of posts. The assumption that the Mini was my only car and how I had got my priorities all wrong was amusing.
    Last edited by chris56; 15th February 2017 at 22:32.

Not sure ......

AC broken , CD player broken , one sliding door gets stuck and a nasty skin condition

Craftsman
    That may be the worst car I've ever seen! Haha

I would rather spend more of my money on a watch, theory behind it is that I would get to enjoy it everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post

Unfortunately, a lot of posters on Pistonheads are all for posting photos of their watch in front of their expensive fast car steering wheel generally Rolex and Porsche. My photo was a foil to these type of posts. The assumption that the Mini was my only car and how I had got my priorities all wrong was amusing.
    Even if it was, your priorities are yours, but it's probably not surprising that Car > Watch would be the prevailing view on Pistonheads and Watch > Car here, is it?

M

Master
    I must own up - My car and my watch collection are both rubbish and extremely modest, but give useful service. Since the arrival of grandchildren, my priorities in life have changed and now, although I see cars and watches as fine and admirable engineering solutions, I also recognise the vanity and "willy-waving" that fuels consumer demand.
    The watch collection is likely to be severely culled and the car will run till it dies. I doubt that my descendants share my enthusiasm for either.

Craftsman
    Being a "Soccer Dad" and regular Chauffeur to multiple dogs I can definitely say that most of my watches are worth more than my car.
    Though I definitely appreciate a nice car, depreciation allied to running costs always means any extra cash will manifest itself into another timepiece as opposed to a nice four wheeled money pit!!! 😊

I own 2 cars and my favourite is a cheap run-around so most of the time my watch is worth more than the car, but have to admit owning a cheap run-around is so liberating i don't worry about where I'm parking it or whats gonna happen to it. (a bit like a G-shock)

Craftsman
    The amount I spend on a watch hasn't changed much in the last 15 years, generally in the £2k-£3k range, but the amount I spend on cars has gone up.

15 years ago my watch was worth more, now it's the other way round. It helps that my wife is into cars but not watches, so she helps drive up the spend on one side!

The amount I spend on both cars & watches seems to go up every year, but cars will always be the most expensive as that's my main hobby

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Not sure ......
    Nice patina! Vintage Kia collectors will be getting giddy over that tropical paintwork.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauting View Post
    I would rather spend more of my money on a watch, theory behind it is that I would get to enjoy it everyday.
    And probably manage to get most of it back when a buying second hand... the same cannot be said for a run of the mill car

Journeyman
    All my watches are more expensive than my cars, since I don't drive.

Yep. My Oris 111 is worth several more times than my 05 plate Civic but then the Oris doesn't get me to work and back!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post

But I could have posted this photo

Nice!

Yes, my watches worth 10 x the value of my car,.

I once asked..how can you wear a Toyota on your wrist and he showed me..

If you keep the car long enough then yes most cases this will happen.

Depreciated asses Vs stable asset.

Quote Originally Posted by RBear1981 View Post
    After being inspired by viewing the incredible AP RO in pink gold on another thread, I was wondering..

Does anyone here own a watch that is worth more than their car?

If so, you are truly hardcore. And I salute you

Every single one of my watches is worth more than the value of any car I've owned.

I don't have any watches that are worth more than this

but I do have a couple that are worth more than the other cars & motorbikes we own.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Ten years ago my colleagues laughed at me because I bought the very first iPhone the day it came out, and it doubled the value of my car (at the time) when I got in it :)

Not a lot has changed and yes, one of my watches is worth roughly the same as my car, and another is worth more. Doesn't phase me in the slightest. I consider myself a car guy but I'm happy for other people to spend the money and for me to look from the outside (and I hope they continue to).

Master
    We lease our main car now (E220), so that doesn't count.

Our other car is a 1989 E30 3251 cabrio, which has at least doubled in value since we got it 6 years ago; in that time I've owned alot of watches, and at least once (when I've consolidated into a Rolex), the watch has been worth more. Not now, though, a the car is probably worth £4-5k, and my most expensive watch is a Tudor BB...

Craftsman
    I do ponder this sometimes, especially as my car is worth little and I'm just soldiering on till it dies. There are so many amazing pieces of roadgoing metal I could buy for so little, I'm desperate to do something really daft from a car perspective. A watch just tells the time, doesn't have a V8 or engineered in anything like the complexity of a vehicle. Interesting.

Not me.
    but I do wear and drive objects designed for girls.