closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watch > Car

Craftsman

Watch > Car

After being inspired by viewing the incredible AP RO in pink gold on another thread, I was wondering..

Does anyone here own a watch that is worth more than their car?

If so, you are truly hardcore. And I salute you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"You see this watch? You see this watch? This watch cost more than your car."

Master
    I have 23 watches worth more than my last car.

My 114270 is worth more than my current car. I'm not sure what that says about me.

Master
    It's funny you should mention this because it's always preyed on my mind. For many years my watch was worth more than my car, but mainly because my car was a first gen MX5 that I bought for £2k plus the cost of a hard top. Then the next car edged ahead of my best watch, but the whole collection had stayed firmly ahead of the car. I've wondered if there should be a bit more balance, for instance if you step out of your rusted Fiesta wearing a Nautilus, perhaps your watch habit is out of step with the rest of your life.

On the other hand, little in life depreciates more than most cars (computers and phones perhaps), while with luck the right watch keeps its value, so that's an argument for having a relatively nicer watch. Also, there are plenty of entertaining older cars that aren't that expensive so it's not hard to spend more on the watch without the whole picture looking absurd. On the whole though there is a feeling that the whole thing should coordinate somehow! Good question, it will be interesting to hear people's views on this one.

Master
    My 'collection' is now just a pair, either of which are worth more than my car.

And so they should, a car is a short term thing (in most cases) a watch can be for life

No I still place my car as a priority above my watch, in reality it's far more useful and I get more enjoyment out of it

I lease my everyday car, so the only car I own currently is an imported mk1 MX5 which I bought for sub-£900 about 5 years ago. It's touch and go whether it's worth more than any one of my Seamaster or Black Bay at today's values.

Master
    Yes, i drive a 52plate 530d maybe 2k in value, so all my watches except my protrek are in front but none of them are worth more than my van.

I got offered £250 trade in for my car, so yes

I've been meaning to get a new car for about 5 years, but to be honest, I've yet to find anything I want enough to buy!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 14th February 2017 at 12:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post

"You see this watch? You see this watch? This watch cost more than your car."
    Glengarry Glenross....I had to do an assessment on that when I engaged in a sales training course for work, 14 weeks of my life i wont get back (not the video alone btw)

My current collection is worth more than my car 2nd hand value, the car new would have been more expensive than the collection.

YES! But I'm not hardcore.. I just have a crap/old car that I've owned for a long time!

Master
    Just a change of times in all honesty. Just a decade ago, a 60 inch TV used to cost thousands, many more than what a car was worth. Now tvs are dirt cheap. Soon cars will be automatically driven, and not owned, with people upgrading every year with subscription plans etcetc

Watches are an obsolete artistic items, will always be and should be worth more than consumeables like cars. (Note this does not include Classic or colelctible or Super cars).

I don't have an individual watch worth more than our car, but collectively they are.

Master
    I own a quite respectable collection and don't even own a car.... so yes.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Watches are an obsolete artistic items, will always be and should be worth more than consumeables like cars. (Note this does not include Classic or colelctible or Super cars).
    That's a sweeping generalisation though.

There are plenty of cheap consumable watches around (Sekonda, Citizen, Lorus, Seiko, Swatch, Casio) which are the fraction of the cost of a car (new), but totally functional.

Disregarding 'classic cars', but saying watches are 'artistic' items is hardly a level playing field, is it?

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    That's a sweeping generalisation though.

There are plenty of cheap consumable watches around (Sekonda, Citizen, Lorus, Seiko, Swatch, Casio) which are the fraction of the cost of a car (new), but totally functional.

Disregarding 'classic cars', but saying watches are 'artistic' items is hardly a level playing field, is it?

M.
    Ok but the op mentioned watches that cost more than cars which cars cost less than a quartz citizen £50-£100....so i assumed these were the "higher end" mechanicals.

Master
    Ok but the op mentioned watches that cost more than cars which cars cost less than a quartz citizen £50-£100....so i assumed these were the "higher end" mechanicals.

The buyer got my car for £50.

I suspect that's what he had in mind, but as we've seen plenty of us run cheap old bangers

From the Leasing thread it seems many don't OWN a car at all!

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    The buyer got my car for £50.
    Ok but Insurance, petrol? tax?

Master
    Ok but Insurance, petrol? tax?

I thought the thread was about value of the car, not running costs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I thought the thread was about value of the car, not running costs.
    Yes i thot the discussion was about a car in the conventional sense ie getting from A to B and not a £50 massive storage closet. If it's for transport there is no way i can purchase a car for £50 as 3rd party insurance is legally required as is some form of energy source hence that being the "price" of a car. Ie i cannot buy and drive a car for £50.

Now if ur just buying a £50 car as a collection than so be it.

Master
    Yes i thot the discussion was about a car in the conventional sense ie getting from A to B and not a £50 massive storage closet. If it's for transport there is no way i can purchase a car for £50 as 3rd party insurance is legally required as is some form of energy source hence that being the "price" of a car. Ie i cannot buy and drive a car for £50.

Now if ur just buying a £50 car as a collection than so be it. At which point even a nice grass fed argentinian steak will cost more lol.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    My personal car (2001 boxster) is worth less than my most expensive watch (Rolex Hulk) but gives me far more enjoyment!

If I had a choice between getting rid of one or the other (without replacement) the Hulk would be gone without a shadow of a doubt!

None of my watches are worth more than my car but hardly 'hardcore' if that were the case.

For me a car is a necessity whilst watches are a luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    My personal car (2001 boxster) is worth less than my most expensive watch (Rolex Hulk) but gives me far more enjoyment!

If I had a choice between getting rid of one or the other (without replacement) the Hulk would be gone without a shadow of a doubt!
    Wish I had the same experience, pot holes, rough roads, road closures and civil servants in camera vans all over the place at the moment.

I have been driving like a nun the past 2 years.

Yes, but only because I lease a work beater and where I currently live I can't find a garage within a 5 minute walk to buy or rent.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    This is a watch forum so it is likely that many of us have watches worth more than their car. My BMW was over £40000 new 16 years ago. I paid less than half that 13 years ago. It is now worth circa £2000. On the other hand my watches especially Rolex have appreciated quite well, having more than doubled from the price I paid. Having watches worth more than your car makes financial sense. You may get a different view on a car forum

Soon it will. I've a Sub, and a 2011 3 series.

Currently the watch is worth 3.5k, the car approx 5k.

In a few months they'll be probably be both worth 4k, then after that the watch wins.

Craftsman
    Interesting! Seems like for the majority here this is a reality. I actually agree with the whole 'cars are consumable, watches made to last' argument. I lease my car so it's unlikely I'll ever be in this camp. Unless I bought said APRO..

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RBear1981 View Post
    After being inspired by viewing the incredible AP RO in pink gold on another thread, I was wondering..

Not really hardcore, is it!

Some of us are happy to keep cars till they're not worth a lot; wife's Fiesta is 8 yrs old and I have a couple of watches worth more.....cars depreciate but certain watches don`t.

However, the thought of spending more on a watch than a car is a different proposition. Watch prices have gone crazy thesedays.

Paul

Yes

Not difficult as I don't like to spend more than 2K on a car (I do have more than one though)

Interesting! Seems like for the majority here this is a reality. I actually agree with the whole 'cars are consumable, watches made to last' argument. I lease my car so it's unlikely I'll ever be in this camp. Unless I bought said APRO..

Exactly! Totally agree with you on this also mate.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    My 114270 is worth more than my current car. I'm not sure what that says about me.
    I think it says that your priorities are about right.

The 114270 is a classic that gets better and more desirable with age, whereas a car that actually gets driven is invariably a depreciating money pit. A modern car is essentially an appliance; if it works, then it's fine. Though I've regretted buying a few cars over the years, I have yet to regret a watch purchase.

The best watch collection of anyone I know is owned by someone without a car, by the way.

Master
    Yes as I don't have a car at the moment!

My most expensive watch is worth more than 2 of the cars I have had but a fair bit less than the last one.

My car is worth £850 and I have 3 watches that are more valuable than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I think it says that your priorities are about right.

The 114270 is a classic that gets better and more desirable with age, whereas a car that actually gets driven is invariably a depreciating money pit..
    This is true. I contemplated letting it go recently but came to my senses pretty quickly! My car value vs watch value balance may be inverted very soon but only because my accountant is telling me to spend money. Such a shame that watches do not constitute a legitimate business expense! :-)

The majority of my watches are worth more than my daily driver, some multiple times.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy nice cars but I'd rather spend my money on watches. I wouldn't discount buying a more expensive car at some point in the future.
    It's just a matter of time...

I have a couple of watches that are worth more than my most expensive mountain bike which is worth more than my road bike which is worth about the same as my car.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Now also include higher end quartz. That goes easily over a handful of K euros. I can think of a 100+ K one you need to be invited for to be allowed to buy...

The OP is making a point NOT about any watch nor any car nor any price level, but about the relative spending on either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Now also include higher end quartz. That goes easily over a handful of K euros. I can think of a 100+ K one you need to be invited for to be allowed to buy...

The OP is making a point NOT about any watch nor any car nor any price level, but about the relative spending on either.
    Totally agree.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    As to priorities I think that the safety (occupants as well as rest of the world) and the fuel consumption of the daily car should be more important than any watch aspect.

yep

and wear it to work, the great thing is almost nobody recognises the brand, and non=body recognises the watch

sorry not the best photo of it

Master
    Blog Entries
    Probably in the minority here where my car has better residuals than a sports rolex.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Probably in the minority here where my car has better residuals than a sports rolex.
    I can't remember who but someone on this forum has a very nice DB5. Not sure if anyone can top that for residuals.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool

Speaking of relative priorities and comparisons:
    There are quite a few wis who mention watch batteries as environmentally hazardous.
    Some of same mechanical lovers swoon over a Tesla car.
    Mind you, that is about 500.000 watch batteries worth of car battery.
    To date there have been more than 200.000 Tesla cars sold.
    That makes 100.000.000.000 watch batteries.

Now, I am mostly wearing a solar powered watch. It has a rechargeable battery which should last well over 30 years. Say, 4 Tesla battery packs; about 2 million watch batteries.

i dont own a car.
    got a couple of 4.5k road bikes which are more expensive than my watch.
    if i did own a car it would be some 80k mile heavily depreciated reliable boring safe motor that i would have no interest talking about in pubs or forums.
    i would rather have the watch over a shitbox to sit in traffic all day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    My 205 GTi is worth roughly 5 times more than what i paid for it 3 years ago.

It still wouldn't buy me a new submariner at current prices though.

Blog Entries
    Yes.

Journeyman
    Generally the cars I've owned have been more expensive than the watches I've owned. I've had new, or nearly new cars and change them quite frequently. I should get a solid car that's already depreciated save the money and buy more expensive watches !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app