closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tried a Tesla today

Master

Tried a Tesla today

Very helpful staff and no sales pressure was a great start, and the car was very interesting. It was the Model X I tried. I was impressed with everything except the dead steering, fact none of them offer auto wipers and rather mad pricing of options/extras, such as £5500 for a set of black alloys and £2600 for a set of winter tyres. These are definitely not cheap cars are they, but the instant surge of acceleration was amazing.

I guess running costs are the way it works out cheaper, but I think I do a bit too much driving to seriously consider one in 2017. In the future, if power range extends and prices of the SUV-type models come down into lower sectors, I'll definitely be interested.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 1st March 2017 at 23:40.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    ... but the instant surge of acceleration was amazing.
    ... & addictive - I test drove one in the US a while back & was very impressed.
    But I couldn't manage with the range limitations at the moment.
    One day, if the range gets improved - or I do fewer miles ...

z

Master
    I've got a deposit down for the, hopefully, more sensibly priced Model 3 but it remains to be seen whether it will be worth actually buying. I test drove a Model S P85 and was hooked. Just seen pictures of the new Range Rover Velar and it looks great. All this on the day I took delivery of a new Audi S5 so nothing new for me for the next two years.
    Last edited by mactrack; 1st March 2017 at 23:49.

Master
    Yeah definitely addictive; and dare I say safer with the feeling of having such great acceleration whenever you want it. That Velar is stunning though.

Definitely the future - but I still think it's a few years off. The real concern is being left with something that is fundamentally obsolete quite quickly, if the tech keeps improving once you have bought in - unless they come up with an easy way to upgrade existing vehicles.
    It's just a matter of time...

I drove a Model S in 2013 right after getting the last Benz and it felt like home in the driver seat as many of the buttons and switches were sourced from MB. Acceleration was stunning but range was a no go for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Definitely the future - but I still think it's a few years off. The real concern is being left with something that is fundamentally obsolete quite quickly, if the tech keeps improving once you have bought in - unless they come up with an easy way to upgrade existing vehicles.
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/m...rm-test-review

Tried a Tesla today

They will become obsolete in much the same way as 1970s or 80s Quartz watches are obsolete; they'll still function perfectly adequately without upgrades.

My car is eleven years old and is missing many of the modern bells and whistles of a brand new equivalent. It performs everything I want from a car perfectly adequately. Which is why I'm still driving an eleven year old car.

The obsolescence argument really doesn't wash, particularly with very many people only keeping there cars a maximum of four years.

I have an electric van (Nissan) with a 24kwhr battery from the Leaf. The Leaf now has a 30kwhr battery and probably at least a 40kwhr battery later this year. It doesn't make my van any less suitable for my requirements.

Having said that, the smart money (Tesla excepted) is leading EVs because the depreciation is currently horrendous. I do believe that will change as electric vehicles become more mainstream and people's confidence in them grows.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 2nd March 2017 at 08:17.

I considered a Tesla recently, but it seems that unless you live in a large city or have a short journey to work they just aren't there yet. the unlimited fast charge for ever offer was an interesting one, when you have a close look at how and when you charge the car its a pretty safe offer for them as you would not use it very often.

Blog Entries
    Selling MANY in Norway due to tax free status, first time ever, (40,000 Pds !) and includes free ferry useage, bus lane use, no road tax, huge 'bribes applied by the Govmnt., but there have been numerous engine breakdowns and have been replaced en masse, also some spontaneous combustion has occurred....

No thanks

Remember the Roadster? they still offer upgrades to that: http://shop.teslamotors.com/products...er-3-0-upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Remember the Roadster? they still offer upgrades to that: http://shop.teslamotors.com/products...er-3-0-upgrade
    Renault are also offering upgrades to the Zoe now that the 40kWh battery pack is available.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Very helpful staff and no sales pressure was a great start, and the car was very interesting. It was the Model X I tried. I was impressed with everything except the dead steering, fact none of them offer auto wipers and rather mad pricing of options/extras, such as £5500 for a set of black alloys and £2600 for a set of winter tyres. These are definitely not cheap cars are they, but the instant surge of acceleration was amazing.

I guess running costs are the way it works out cheaper, but I think I do a bit too much driving to seriously consider one in 2017. In the future, if power range extends and prices of the SUV-type models come down into lower sectors, I'll definitely be interested.

They're a strange drive, but very quick.

Were you up the road from me?

Should have come in for a brew!