closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's a new boiler going to cost me?

What's a new boiler going to cost me?

Brrrrrrrrrr.......

Packed in yesterday and TBH I thinks it's had more than it's nine lives used up, is pretty shonky all round and is terminally ill this time and I don't really want to throw any more good money after bad.

Potterton Prima 30F (I think), installed in the garage with (obviously) flue and all services there.

Just wondering what I should be looking to replace it with and a typical fitted cost.

Depends on what boiler mate. When mine packed in I went for a Sabre 29HE from Mr Central Heating, cost me £500 inc flu kit in 2009. Ive had 1 issue with it which was the fan switch, cost me £50 last weekend. Not saying its the best in the world but for 8 years and 1 issue...its done well and at the end of the day its only to heat water and keep you warm.

I bought the boiler and had it sitting there with all the documentation, got a local guy to install it for £400 I think it was. So in todays money, I would say £1500 all in. Depends if you want to go down the Bosch route, that will cost you more.

Master
    For a 28kw combi with flue kit and controls, straight swap out swap in I'd say around the £2k mark depending on brand.

That would get you a valiant ecotec.

A glow worm or vokera would be less.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    Have seen installs advertised in the local free paper for £1400 for a Worcester with 10 yr guarantee. Sometimes there are offers - a friend of mine had one fitted by British Gas (Worcester boiler) interest free (5 years) and guaranteed for 10 years.

Journeyman
    Just had a valiant eco tec 24 fitted inc flush through for rads and ioniser for £2400 inc vat. All depends what area of the country you live in will vary the cost.

Blimey, cheers chaps, looks around £a lot then!

Just had a Logic 30+ fitted into a rental. The glow worm lasted nearly 13 years.

Flush out was £280 I think, but highly recommended. New flue, new hole had to be drilled in wall and old one patched up. Some kind of magnetic thingy also fitted, new gas pipe routed through bedroom floor as old one was not correct, etc.

£2800 all in with 7 year warranty.

That was a 3 bed terrace house.

Master
    Not sure of the make but just had one in one of my rentals and all in was around £2,200. He's fitted for me for a dozen years or so and never had any issues, as old ones are going I replace and its always around that money.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The cheap quotes are cheap for a good reason.

Potty primas are a conventional boiler so I take it you have a big tank etc.

Personally I would stay with that type of system as it will cost quite a bit more to convert the system to a combi (sealed)

Combi's have a lot of advantages and disadvantages, as do Conventional Boilers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    a friend of mine had one fitted by British Gas (Worcester boiler) interest free (5 years) and guaranteed for 10 years.
    BG are a fooking rip off, who tried to turn over my old Mum with a £3.5k quote, a really pressured her into a sale.

When I stepped in, a good local guy did it for £1.2k.

Craftsman
    mines had it's day too and iv'e had a quote done to replace with combi as original is a conventional boiler with a big bloody tank in the bedroom.. 2.6k for worcester and 2.4k for logik both have a 7 year warranty! no holiday for me this year then!!!

Cheers chaps, been trying to get hold of my plumber today and he finally called me...

...from a mountain top in Switzerland taking a break from the piste...

Just be thankful you're not on oil - just had a couple of quotes for replacing ours... £5,000! It may be god knows how many years old and not very efficient but at £5k I think I'll have to live with it and hope it doesn't pack up!

Paul

I just had a 30kw Worcester bosch Greenstar fitted system boiler. It was £1800 all in with 8 years warranty.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    Cheers chaps, been trying to get hold of my plumber today and he finally called me...

...from a mountain top in Switzerland taking a break from the piste...

You'll be paying for the next one!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    BG are a fooking rip off, who tried to turn over my old Mum with a £3.5k quote, a really pressured her into a sale.

When I stepped in, a good local guy did it for £1.2k.
    Totally agree they are rip off merchants, we got BG round and apart from the salesman trying to tell us incorrect info their quote came out at 5.5k, over 3k more than the other three quotes I acquired.
    He was an arrogant f****r also so got my back up from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by cocobay71 View Post
    Totally agree they are rip off merchants, we got BG round and apart from the salesman trying to tell us incorrect info their quote came out at 5.5k, over 3k more than the other three quotes I acquired.
    He was an arrogant f****r also so got my back up from the start.
    I had a work colleague who had the exact same experience, the guy who turned up was more or less telling him that he should be privileged that BG is going to undertake the work. Very abrupt...so he was quickly told to go forth...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
    Just be thankful you're not on oil - just had a couple of quotes for replacing ours... £5,000! It may be god knows how many years old and not very efficient but at £5k I think I'll have to live with it and hope it doesn't pack up!

Paul
    Mine was put in when the house was built in 1985. I moved in in 2000 and worked okay for years although my oil bills were really high. decided to get a new boiler 3 years a go and almost immediately my bills halved. Must have been so inefficient in the end. with oil prices dropping after that they got even cheaper. Can't remember the exact price but sure it wasn't more than 3k.

Just had 3 quotes, standard boiler as we have pressurised hot water system, One Worcester Bosch(from an accreddited Installer)/one Vailant both came in at about £1,950 including system flush.
    BG same Worcester Bosch model Greenstar 30ri which apparently they will be giving us at 50 percent discount on....£3,500.

Master
    The plumber that fitted my Vailant said Worcester Bosch are more popular because they are a one man job to hang on the wall. He had to call a mate to help him with the Vailant as they are so heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Just had 3 quotes, standard boiler as we have pressurised hot water system, One Worcester Bosch(from an accreddited Installer)/one Vailant both came in at about £1,950 including system flush.
    BG same Worcester Bosch model Greenstar 30ri which apparently they will be giving us at 50 percent discount on....£3,500.
    I assume you mean BG quoted 3500 after having applied their discount or were they competitive with the others ?

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I assume you mean BG quoted 3500 after having applied their discount or were they competitive with the others ?
    Haha, BG competitive! BG will not bowl up and give you a quote for £1.75k to fit a Worcester Bosch.

£7k with a 50% discount to £3.5k sounds much more like their style. Although they must be short of work as £3.5k sounds like it's on the cheap side for BG.

Poignant thread as I'm having a new boiler fitted this Friday. Had a load of problems last year with the 15-year-old Saunier combi, then it packed in again the week before last. I'm with Homeserve and the engineer said it was all the circuit boards this time. Apparently the total cost of parts and labour is more than 85% of the boiler's value so they can't/won't fix. They offered us an Ideal Logic 24kw for free and we pay for fitting (I've been quoted £1445 for this day's work from the Homeserve 'approved fitters) and Ideal Logic reviews are mostly terrible. Or, we get it all done ourselves and Homeserve give us £200 toward the cost.

Moving on a week and after much research and hair pulling, and several quotes, we're getting a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30si combi with fitting for £2100. Other quotes ranged from £1800 for an Ideal Logic + 24kw, £2600 for WB Greenstar 25, and £2400 for WB Greenstar 30. We went with the chosen quote because he could do it this Friday and everyone else was the end of next week. We've already been without hot water and proper heat for two weeks so just want it done. The company has loads of good reviews on local Facebook groups so we think we've done the right thing.

The bugger is we'll be moving or extending our place in the next year or two so I was really hoping the old boiler was going to last another two winters.

To cut a long story short, depending on what boiler you go for, £2000 seems about the average in the SE.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Yes it was 3,500 after they had apparently discounted the boiler by 50%

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Poignant thread as I'm having a new boiler fitted this Friday. Had a load of problems last year with the 15-year-old Saunier combi, then it packed in again the week before last. I'm with Homeserve and the engineer said it was all the circuit boards this time. Apparently the total cost of parts and labour is more than 85% of the boiler's value so they can't/won't fix. They offered us an Ideal Logic 24kw for free and we pay for fitting (I've been quoted £1445 for this day's work from the Homeserve 'approved fitters) and Ideal Logic reviews are mostly terrible. Or, we get it all done ourselves and Homeserve give us £200 toward the cost.

Moving on a week and after much research and hair pulling, and several quotes, we're getting a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30si combi with fitting for £2100. Other quotes ranged from £1800 for an Ideal Logic + 24kw, £2600 for WB Greenstar 25, and £2400 for WB Greenstar 30. We went with the chosen quote because he could do it this Friday and everyone else was the end of next week. We've already been without hot water and proper heat for two weeks so just want it done. The company has loads of good reviews on local Facebook groups so we think we've done the right thing.

The bugger is we'll be moving or extending our place in the next year or two so I was really hoping the old boiler was going to last another two winters.

To cut a long story short, depending on what boiler you go for, £2000 seems about the average in the SE.
    Go for the Worcester wave too. Had one fitted in December, there equivalent of Hive or similar and its excellent IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG quoted me around £2.8k for a standard WB boiler and that was with a voucher for a completely free boiler!

After a bit of research went for an Intergas boiler fitted by an accredited fitter so a 7 year warranty (10 on heat exchanger) cost about £1800. I say about as we had five rads replaced at the same time so total bill was just over £2.2k. Included flush and magnetic filter.

Master
    Went through this process some 7 years ago now. You will get some truly rip off quotes! We're on oil so more money anyway (than gas) but we wanted new boiler (and relocated), and moving the immersion tank (combis aren't brilliant on oil and we wanted to use digital power showers which you can't do with a combi). We got quotes from 3K to 6K - as I say 7 years ago so I'm sure things have gone up. I remember phoning the company up that quoted 6K and asking how they got the price. Now I knew the boiler was a grand and a controller a hundred quid so anything else was things like pipes/fittings/labour. They'd already said what their labour rate was so that if they went over the two days for the work then they would charge each extra hour at such-n-such labour rate. So, on the phone, I worked out the labour for two blokes for the two days.... it was something like a grand or fifteen hundred. So I asked where the other three and a half grand came from. I got some cobblers about the price of copper... so then I asked give for an example. So he says he's budgeted for 50m of 22m pipe!! What? The house is only 14m long in total! Anyway that worked out at something like fifty quid (2007 prices). In then end we were struggling to get the total price to 3K. He had no explanation for the extra 3K on top. The lesson is (some) plumbers will rip you off any chance they get so it's worth, before hand, just checking out a rough cost of the parts and labour so you know how much 'extra' you're paying.

In the end we went for the 3K guy who did the whole lot in under 2 days and it's working fine 7 years later. We then got him back the next year to replace the oil storage tank... again stupid quotes. He did it (actually it was him and me on a Saturday morning) for less than £1500 including the tank - a bargain. Another bloke on the close was quoted 6K for the same work!

Just to say thanks all for the usual brilliant forum replies - will update once we get something sorted.

Craftsman
    Only just seen this thread and I'm staggered by some of the prices!

Had a brand new Worcester fitted last year for 1400 quid and I thought he was having me in!

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post

Had a brand new Worcester fitted last year for 1400 quid and I thought he was having me in!
    You did ok.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post

Wow! Was it hot?

Mine was installed today so I'm writing this in the nude

Journeyman
    I mean generally paying about £2k for new Worcester Bosch Boilers installed, though this is generally as part of a larger contract and the main contractor will undoubtably have a nice bit of mark up also.... Private install I would expect to pay £400 - £600 over the boiler price...

Saw my plumber today - back from the Swiss Alps. :) It was the fan (again) so decided to cut our losses I think and go for a new one. Quoting £2300 or less fully fitted for a new Worcester to include the fitting, new flue, power flush, water filter etc and the services of a roofer needed to some alterations around the new flue/tiles/flashing etc. Six year warranty with the water filter I'm told. Could be worse.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Worcester boilers are popular as they plough loads of money into advertising. We had a Viessmann vitodens 100 35kw fitted in our 3 bed semi. Fitted 5 years ago for around £1400 with flush. great machine and would get another in a heart beat.

I also fitted double rads all over the house so it heats up pretty fast.