closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 6309 Service advice please.

Craftsman

6309 Service advice please.

I have a 6309 7040 which when fully wound (i.e. when the spring appears to be tightly wound, forgive my ignorance ) runs for about 2 hours keeping good time then stops .Does this sound like an expensive repair job ? Who ,that we know here, can carry out a service or repair on a 6309 ?
    Thanks in advance .

How do you know the spring is fully wound? The 6309 movement doesn't hand-wind so needs wearing or swinging around your head a few times.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 26th July 2017 at 16:07.

Craftsman
    I "wound" it as I do with all my other non hand wind Seiko by swinging it to and fro and listening to the rotor .

https://thewatchbloke.co.uk

The forums go to guy for Seiko.

Duncan (thewatchbloke) is great but so too is Olli (.olli.) for servicing. Olli has done three 6309-7040s for me, and recently did a few more for ed335d.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    I "wound" it as I do with all my other non hand wind Seiko by swinging it to and fro and listening to the rotor .
    No, to and fro is no good. You need to whip it around your head like a madman a few times

Sorry, didn't mean to sound patronising.

Duncan is the man but I got in touch with him yesterday about something else and he's not taking any more work for the foreseeable.

You could try Steve Burrage or Terry at Ryte Time, or Brendan on here (webwatchmaker).

Craftsman

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    No, to and fro is no good. You need to whip it around your head like a madman a few times

Sorry, didn't mean to sound patronising.

Duncan is the man but I got in touch with him yesterday about something else and he's not taking any more work for the foreseeable.

You could try Steve Burrage or Terry at Ryte Time, or Brendan on here (webwatchmaker).
    I have to be careful with that method as I need the wrist for other work !!!!
    I have enough names to be going on with .
    Thanks to all who replied.
    Last edited by Julian; 26th July 2017 at 16:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Julian,

Also worth contacting German Uwe Buhl.

It's just servicing work I've put a halt on simply due to the length of my service queue at the moment, it's far, far too long! Smaller jobs I'm still taking on and of course will be taking more service work back on when I get the volume that's waiting to be done reduced to a more sensible level. This doesn't help the OP I know but I thought I'd better clarify.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good man Duncan.

PM sent earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    It's just servicing work I've put a halt on simply due to the length of my service queue at the moment, it's far, far too long! Smaller jobs I'm still taking on and of course will be taking more service work back on when I get the volume that's waiting to be done reduced to a more sensible level. This doesn't help the OP I know but I thought I'd better clarify.
    Sorry Duncan, I didn't mean to inadvertently divert business away from you

Craftsman
    It seems that many of the names recommended are not taking on any new business at the moment as they're too busy .
    They're busy because of their ability and reputation .I understand the situation but it doesn't stop me being like a child with a new toy i.e. I want it now . Daft, I know .
    Thanks once again to all who replied.

Sorry Duncan, I didn't mean to inadvertently divert business away from you
    No problem, there's plenty to keep everyone busy!

Master
    As some background, have you had the watch a long time and it's something that's changed?

If you knew how little swinging the watch back n forth actually winds the spring you'd know it'd take a hell of a lot of it to get it fully wound!

If you actually wear the watch all day and sit it down, how long does it run for?

I have done a couple of 6309's where the winding pawl has worn and they don't wind properly but usually they get to a point where they suddenly can't act on the wheel and don't wind at all. It sounds like you're able to get some wind into the watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    As some background, have you had the watch a long time and it's something that's changed?

If you knew how little swinging the watch back n forth actually winds the spring you'd know it'd take a hell of a lot of it to get it fully wound!

If you actually wear the watch all day and sit it down, how long does it run for?

I have done a couple of 6309's where the winding pawl has worn and they don't wind properly but usually they get to a point where they suddenly can't act on the wheel and don't wind at all. It sounds like you're able to get some wind into the watch.
    James , I thought the thread had died .
    I've had the watch a number years having bought it second hand .I removed the movement and dial and installed a 7548 movement and dial as I was fed up with its performance.Now I've reversed this.
    To sum up I've given it a very good shaking ,which on a 7S26 would enable the watch to run for around 12 hours unworn but with this 6309 when worn after shaking it runs for about 2 hours with a stop every 10 mins. or so before stopping finally .A good shaking while listening to the rotor spin will start it up again to repeat the whole cycle .
    Thanks for your interest James

Master
    Right, if you're into fiddling then we can get somewhere..

Remove the automatic winding part of the movement and wind the main spring with a screwdriver. Then observe the power reserve.

it may just need a service, do you know when it was last done . But my hunch is the prob will be with the auto winding part, I've seen this a couple of times.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    The 6309 from servicing loads of them, needs for the mainspring to be well greased. Otherwise it seizes inside the barrel.

Brendan