closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Breitling model Colt Skyracer.

New Breitling model Colt Skyracer.

I guess they are bringing out some new models using this new case material, not convinced myself.

https://www.breitling.com/en/news/de...-skyracer-4733

Lets see if it will take off ;)

Nice entry level piece or high end beater. On the big side but maybe the dark case will help hide its bulk.

Had a look at the avenger today, it is very light for such a big watch, really nice.

Interesting material. Like the Colt Skyracer, looks great.
    Last edited by pastrana72; 11th February 2017 at 22:33.

Another 45mm slow seller.

Nice but reminded me right away of the similar looking Fortis Colors in the black case/strap variety.

....just saying....

Quote Originally Posted by tanatron View Post
    Nice but reminded me right away of the similar looking Fortis Colors in the black case/strap variety.

....just saying....
    I think I prefer the Fortis.

Master
    I have often looked at my watch and wished it doubled up as a ruler.....

Journeyman
    Nice watch.

Blog Entries
    I love it! Borrowed a Hurricane for review and it had almost no weight at all at 50mm so a 45mm quartz in the same material would be pretty cool to at least review. It's pretty much a overworked beater, love the concept because it's so insane. According to breitling it will be "extremely affordable", I'm curious to see what that means. :D

Thats lovely, really liking that. Not a huge fan of black watches but that I would buy.

Blog Entries
    Yep - interested! I wonder what the MRP will be consider it's a new material - I am guessing not much change from £4K

Mmm nice, plastic, lovely.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by tanatron View Post

....just saying....
    My thoughts exactly!

Also, no price yet. Not my favorite B.

Just seen this on the breitling website - £1800

Quite shocked considering how much the hurricane cost...

I wonder when they will hit the shops.. i fancy trying one!

cheers

matt

I quite like the look, but can't get excited about 45mm or quartz. I'd like to know what the material is. Ceramic? Metal alloy?

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SSK007 View Post
    Lets see if it will take off ;)
    Like it

Mozza

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I quite like the look, but can't get excited about 45mm or quartz. I'd like to know what the material is. Ceramic? Metal alloy?

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looked like a very hard plastic to me when I tried an Avenger Hurricane on

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Looked like a very hard plastic to me when I tried an Avenger Hurricane on
    Looks like a fibre-reinforced polymer to me. I'm not convinced in a plastic watch over a grand and a half personally.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Looks like a fibre-reinforced polymer to me. I'm not convinced in a plastic watch over a grand and a half personally.
    Yet some stainless steel watches retail for 100X others? makes the material argument a bit redundant, no?
    Various manufacturers make a polymer weapon, I'm pretty sure they aren't cheaper than the metal ones. CF bikes are faaaaar more expensive than even titanium ones.
    Value is a funny thing but according it to material is not logical when there are so many other variables (such as if it has a crown on it for example).

Quote Originally Posted by dobbsie View Post
    makes the material argument a bit redundant, no?
    No, it's perfectly relevant. For me personally, I wouldn't spend more than G-shock money on a plastic watch. I wouldn't spend more than 5K on a steel watch, and that would be pushing it. I wouldn't spend more than 10K on any sort of watch as that's loopy.

For me.

Which is why I stated that.

Plastic might be a little unfair. I know Breitling haven't revealed the actual make up of it, but I can best describe it as carbon fibre, but without an obvious weave. A forged, almost concentrated carbon is probably closest to the actual appearance without knowing what they actually use to make it.

I'm not a fan of the design of the watch, and wouldn't expect to buy one, but I can't help but think that Breitling have done something very clever here. An entry level Breitling, using a new generation material, that will probably appeal to a younger/new segment of customers, and an ideal, grab and go lightweight watch for existing customers, who may be happy to use it as a sturdy beater.

With discount it will come in under £1500, and pre-owned might even dip below the £1k mark at some point - it certainly would be a great alternative for those who buy pre-owned Aerospaces or similar but don't want all the scratches and marks to show up in the titanium.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Plastic might be a little unfair. I know Breitling haven't revealed the actual make up of it, but I can best describe it as carbon fibre, but without an obvious weave. A forged, almost concentrated carbon is probably closest to the actual appearance without knowing what they actually use to make it.

I'm not a fan of the design of the watch, and wouldn't expect to buy one, but I can't help but think that Breitling have done something very clever here. An entry level Breitling, using a new generation material, that will probably appeal to a younger/new segment of customers, and an ideal, grab and go lightweight watch for existing customers, who may be happy to use it as a sturdy beater.

With discount it will come in under £1500, and pre-owned might even dip below the £1k mark at some point - it certainly would be a great alternative for those who buy pre-owned Aerospaces or similar but don't want all the scratches and marks to show up in the titanium.
    Entirely agree with this. Much more interesting than DLC-ing everything. (Just wish it was a bit smaller.)

I am very tempted.... I wonder if the boutiques have them yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Just seen this on the breitling website - £1800

Quite shocked considering how much the hurricane cost...

I wonder when they will hit the shops.. i fancy trying one!

cheers

matt
    On the Breitling.com site it comes up as $1,705 so £1,360

Are you sure about that £1800 figure ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Yup, 1810 on the uk site..

Most of the watch sites have mentioned 2000 dollars...

cheers

matt

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Plastic might be a little unfair.
    It wasn't being used as a derogatory term. Fibre reinforced polymer is a perfectly decent material and has been proven in use as watch cases (Luminox for example). Luminox use powdered c/f mixed with a hard thermoplastic to great effect. It looks like Breitling here are using short strand material rather than powder or sheet.

None of which affects my personal preference for alternative materials for my mid to high end watches. Plastic (or FRP or CFRP) isn't bad or inferior (although the ability to refinish and repair a watch case made from it over time isn't proven), just not what I want.

I really like it. Would make a great beater. Posh G-Shock :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    I really like it. Would make a great beater. Posh G-Shock :-)
    It's cheaper than a posh G Shock !

Journeyman
    I wouldn't spend more than 5K on a steel watch
    Why, when you can get perfectly good steel watches for £1000?
    I wouldn't spend more than G-shock money on a plastic watch
    Then why would you spend more than Hamilton money on a steel watch?

Heading back on topic are there just 2 models currently using this case material?

I was thinking an Aerospace Evo on rubber with this case would be something I would buy.

Breitling are falling seriously behind in my opinion. The sale of the business seems to mean they are lacking direction or vision.

Another review on ABTW

Does anyone know if the painted numerals are just white paint or if they are luminous?

I will go and try this on once they hit the shops...

From the Breitling website :
    "The large white hands and numerals standing out clearly against the black background and accentuated by a luminescent coating, along with the large luminescent dot enhancing the bezel at 12 o’clock, guarantee excellent visibility in the heat of the action, whatever the lighting conditions."
    Last edited by MattH; 26th March 2017 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Another review on ABTW
    Link here. Some cracking real world photos - it looks much better than what the Breitling website illustrates, as well as photos of the removable strap system... Far from what I was expecting, and I'm really coming round to the idea as a cheap Aerospace alternative.

New Breitling model Colt Skyracer.

I will go and try this on once they hit the shops...

From the Breitling website :
    "The large white hands and numerals standing out clearly against the black background and accentuated by a luminescent coating, along with the large luminescent dot enhancing the bezel at 12 o’clock, guarantee excellent visibility in the heat of the action, whatever the lighting conditions."
    I had read that as just the hands but rereading I think it could be numerals too. I am interested that the price of $2000 keeps being quoted but the mobile Breitling site and the regular website both tell me $1705.
    Any other members this side of the Atlantic seeing $2k or do you all see $1705? Seems a large price differential to the UK site price MattH quoted.

Interesting comparison here..

Not the same level of quartz movement, Victorinox quote Digicel Advises that between 12am and 5am March 25, we will be conducting scheduled upgrades to our network. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Advises that between 12am and 5am March 25, we will be conducting scheduled upgrades to our network. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. for theirs, anyone see quoted weight for Colt?
    Last edited by MarkO; 26th March 2017 at 17:35.

I just vpned into washington... breitling site says 2000usd (local taxes excluded)
    Last edited by MattH; 26th March 2017 at 17:02.

I just vpned into washington... breitling site says 2000usd (local taxes excluded)
    Odd must make me special then !

Master
    Odd must make me special then !
    Lower taxes where you live?
    Last edited by asteclaru; 26th March 2017 at 17:24.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Lower taxes where you live?
    Yes, they say tax free but that is not strictly true - and it's not usually 17% difference between US and here. Perhaps I had better ask my AD what price they will do me one for?

Master
    Yes, they say tax free but that is not strictly true - and it's not usually 17% difference between US and here. Perhaps I had better ask my AD what price they will do me one for?
    I think that would be wiser. I like Breitling, a lot, they're maybe my favourite watch brand, but I wouldn't buy one at full RRP

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    I guess they are bringing out some new models using this new case material, not convinced myself.

https://www.breitling.com/en/news/de...-skyracer-4733
    "Breitlight" reminds me of Bakelite :s

It's kind of interesting and the quartz movement is very nice been a HAQ but the dial blows imho it's a printed dial with numerals, from ablogtowatch "The large hour markers are actually painted on the dial, but done so with a shadow effect that gives the markers the illusion of depth. It also prevents the dial from looking too flat and uninteresting." I think they failed. It looks cheap, like a ink jet printer that's not had it's head alignment done :-(. It's not a cheap watch, sure it's cheaper than their other stuff, but at that price point adding applied numbers would have made it stand out and give it a quality feel, without adding any significant cost, just look at what Seiko can do at the the £300 400 pound price range in their JDM stuff.

Master
    The numerals spoil it for me.

My AD confirmed $1705 is correct

Excellent... 👍