closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jurassic Coast

The Jurassic Coast

We popped down to the Devon/Dorset coast the other week to celebrate my sister's birthday. It's absolutely gorgeous down there and I managed to get a few decent photographs over the long weekend.

Next time we go we're going to try one of the beach chalets in the area... what a way to wake up in the mornings.

Lovely Tony.We used to spend a lot of time in Charmouth and Lyme Regis.A lovely part of the Country.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice part of the world. We've had a fortnight in Charmouth for the last few years (and again this year).

Very atmospheric. We also love that part of the UK.

Master
    Went there last May and loved Dorset apart from West Bay.Both me and the Mrs thought it run down and from being up north thought it worse than Fleetwood which takes some doing.

However Best fish and chips we have ever had were in Swanage.

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Lovely Tony.We used to spend a lot of time in Charmouth and Lyme Regis.A lovely part of the Country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Very atmospheric. We also love that part of the UK.
    Thank you

Master
    Lovely shots Tony - my father in law currently lives in Poole but has been in Wareham, Lyme Regis & Swanage over the years so spent a fair bit of time down there (including when I got engaged to the Mrs), some fantastic coast walks to be had, and some great pubs to end up in afterwards!

Nice, off to Weymouth for a week with the wife, kids and wife's brothers tribe at Easter, staying right on Chesil beach, looking forward to it. Any recommendations?

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's why it's called Great Britain, no where else like it. Great pics OP

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Lovely shots Tony - my father in law currently lives in Poole but has been in Wareham, Lyme Regis & Swanage over the years so spent a fair bit of time down there (including when I got engaged to the Mrs), some fantastic coast walks to be had, and some great pubs to end up in afterwards!
    Thanks, and you certainly have some history down there!

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Nice, off to Weymouth for a week with the wife, kids and wife's brothers tribe at Easter, staying right on Chesil beach, looking forward to it. Any recommendations?
    Not really - shame you're about 30 miles from The Pig at Combe, though... I'd certainly have suggested eating there.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    That's why it's called Great Britain, no where else like it. Great pics OP
    Cheers

Craftsman
    Very nice pictures. Barely scratched the surface of the area, so will be heading there come the better weather

Master
    Blog Entries
    How old are the kids?

down to the cob on monday for a day out with Mrs Goat, looking forward to it.

I used to teach a geology course down there, did 10 or 12 of them. Always stayed at the Moonfleet Manor and always ate at the Crab House Cafe on the Fleet at Weymouth. Good times!

The Hive Beach Cafe at Burton Bradstock is always, and I mean always worth a visit at any time of day :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    How old are the kids?
    Mine are 4 & 6, in-laws 5 & a little toddler, so nothing to adventurous

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    always ate at the Crab House Cafe on the Fleet at Weymouth
    That's where we're staying, caravan park right next to crab house cafe

Master
    Blog Entries
    It seems the kids are similar ages to mine. There's quite a lot to do around there. Nearest to you is the swannery. My kids got a little bored after a while, (there are only so many swans you can look at), but the tickets allowed you into a farm near by which was brilliant.

If you don't mind a little travel, the new Jurassic centre at Seaton is well worth a visit. You can also catch the tram there for a calmer time.
    Axe Valley Wildlife park is very good. Not too big and nothing scary but we go every year and the kids love it.

Lyme Regis is nice for a day. A sandy beach and some good places to eat. The aquarium there is tiny and not very cheap so might be one to avoid.

If you get some decent weather, Charmouth is nice for a day. Usually a lot quieter then other beaches, there is a fossil museum there that usually run activities for the kids.

West Bay is OK but save for a playground there isn't much for the kids to do unless you want them to go crabbing. The thought of having several small children hanging over the edge of a harbour wall doesn't appeal to me mind!

I know JasonM takes his lot to Lyme Regis every year so he might have some other suggestions.

Master
    Blog Entries
    So to keep the thread on topic, here are some shots of Charmouth. Not exactly to Tony's standards mind!

Obligatory watch shot

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    It seems the kids are similar ages to mine. There's quite a lot to do around there. Nearest to you is the swannery. My kids got a little bored after a while, (there are only so many swans you can look at), but the tickets allowed you into a farm near by which was brilliant.

If you don't mind a little travel, the new Jurassic centre at Seaton is well worth a visit. You can also catch the tram there for a calmer time.
    Axe Valley Wildlife park is very good. Not too big and nothing scary but we go every year and the kids love it.

Lyme Regis is nice for a day. A sandy beach and some good places to eat. The aquarium there is tiny and not very cheap so might be one to avoid.

If you get some decent weather, Charmouth is nice for a day. Usually a lot quieter then other beaches, there is a fossil museum there that usually run activities for the kids.

West Bay is OK but save for a playground there isn't much for the kids to do unless you want them to go crabbing. The thought of having several small children hanging over the edge of a harbour wall doesn't appeal to me mind!

I know JasonM takes his lot to Lyme Regis every year so he might have some other suggestions.
    Cheers Dave.

Dunno what was going on there, whenever I tried to edit my post, it deleted it.

Thanks for the info, plenty to add to our current list. Planning Weymouth aquarium, as we get in free with our merlin passes. Monkey world should be fun and I remember many a rainy day spent at the tank museum when I was a lad

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Went there last May and loved Dorset apart from West Bay.Both me and the Mrs thought it run down and from being up north thought it worse than Fleetwood which takes some doing.

However Best fish and chips we have ever had were in Swanage.
    Worse

Worse than Fleetwood! That's some claim ;)

Stunning photos Tony. As a family, we love the coast and take every opportunity to walk the dogs near the sea. You can't beat the wild ruggedness and weather beaten environment, we just love it.

Already plan to retire to the Norfolk / Suffolk coast when the time is right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks, and you certainly have some history down there!

Not really - shame you're about 30 miles from The Pig at Combe, though... I'd certainly have suggested eating there.

Cheers
    We had the Pig chain in Dorset before they took over Combe, although I have a soft spot for Combe, having known the owners before last, my mum worked for them for years and so did my grandad after retirement he became there Gardner and I used to live nearby when I was little, before moving to Dorset.

If visiting the area with young kids, I'd suggest the things we have learnt to detest about the area, probably due to the number of times we've visited over the years, Sealife centre in Weymouth, Monkey World which I can hear the Monkeys from my house some days. There is also such treats as Farmer Palmers and Adventure Wonderland.

Make the most of the coast rock pooling at Kimmeredge, Dorset Wildlife trust often run sessions which are well worth the time https://www.dorsetwildlifetrust.org.uk/events.html

Charmouth for fossil hunting again a guided session is a good starting point http://jurassiccoast.org/discovering...-coast-centre/

I'm a fan of Lulworth cove and Durdle door but then there only two miles from my house.

Last autumn I went to Lyme Regis I hadn't been since a kid, apart from driving through there, and spent a lovely few hours strolling around and grabbing a bite to eat, in fact just writing this I think I will pop down again next week.

If you like the coast I can go on for ages

Fantastic evocative place, . Devon and Dorset coast is fabulous. Biased though, was born in Wyke Regis, grew up around Dorchester area.

I take my son down near Stratton every year to see family, getting so expensive though.

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic evocative place, . Devon and Dorset coast is fabulous. Biased though, was born in Wyke Regis, grew up around Dorchester area.

I take my son down near Stratton every year to see family, getting so expensive though.

I live in Weymouth (near moonfleet manor actually) and spend a lot of time exploring the local area with my work, I always feel very lucky to live here

Views dont get much better than from the top of abbotsbury hill

Master
    That looks great Tony. Thanks for posting the pics. J&R.
    Last edited by johny; 11th February 2017 at 23:22.

One of my favourite parts of the UK, we have friends in Lyme and have visited most years out of the last twenty.

The fossil shop in Charmouth, down a little alleyway off the high street is the place to go for museum quality specimens.

https://www.charmouthfossils.co.uk/

I'm a lifelong amateur palaeontologist and collector. Have been since I was two years old, back long before Jurassic Park made fossils fashionable.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    I love this area. Can't wait till the weather warms up a bit and we get to Tom's Field campsite for a weekend or two :)

Loved the photos Tony...

Lovely pictures from a beautiful part of the world.

I went on a camping holiday in Durdle Door when I was about 10 but we had to come home after 3 days because my dad burnt the tent down making a cup of tea.

A more successful holiday was a couple of years ago when we went to Lyme Regis for a week with the kids. Had a great time discovering the history of Mary Anning and generally just relaxing surrounded by stunning scenery.

Master
    I have had some family live in Weymouth for 25 years and I visit at least once a year. That part of the country has some wonderful views, especially along the coastline and is well worth a visit for those who haven't been yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Very nice pictures. Barely scratched the surface of the area, so will be heading there come the better weather
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Stunning photos Tony. As a family, we love the coast and take every opportunity to walk the dogs near the sea. You can't beat the wild ruggedness and weather beaten environment, we just love it.

Already plan to retire to the Norfolk / Suffolk coast when the time is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    That looks great Tony. Thanks for posting the pics. J&R.
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I love this area. Can't wait till the weather warms up a bit and we get to Tom's Field campsite for a weekend or two :)

Loved the photos Tony...
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Lovely pictures from a beautiful part of the world.

I went on a camping holiday in Durdle Door when I was about 10 but we had to come home after 3 days because my dad burnt the tent down making a cup of tea.

A more successful holiday was a couple of years ago when we went to Lyme Regis for a week with the kids. Had a great time discovering the history of Mary Anning and generally just relaxing surrounded by stunning scenery.
    Thanks very much, guys :)

Great photos Tony, as Dave said, we've holidayed in LR for the past 3 years and love the area, the only thing to add that we've enjoyed is Peccarama miniature railway at Beer, not as boring as it sounds, the kids love the little train rides and the gardens are stunning, lots of play area indoor and out too.
    https://www.pecorama.co.uk
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Worse

Worse than Fleetwood! That's some claim ;)
    We live in Swanage bay as it's been renamed on the news recently. Beautiful area of the country, which fish and chips shop did you use, one on the Quay side?

Craftsman
    Nice set of pics! It's a beautiful area, isn't it? Last time I was down there was to cover the sinking of the MSC Napoli. Find any motorbikes? :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Yep, we love it down there and have spent many happy days around that stretch of coastline - so much so that we got married in Lyme over looking the sea...

To add to the photos...

On The Cobb by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Lone Fisherman by Ash Smith, on Flickr

The Breakwater by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Jurassic Coast by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Cobb by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Between a rock and a hard place by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Can anyone recommend a lodge or barn or something similar for two or three adults that's pet friendly, preferably with a hot tub in Dorset? Had a search this morning after seeing this thread and anything with our spec is over £1,200....

Craftsman
    I had to dig this one out...

Quote Originally Posted by cocobay71 View Post
    We live in Swanage bay as it's been renamed on the news recently. Beautiful area of the country, which fish and chips shop did you use, one on the Quay side?
    Grew up in Swanage. Lovely town - especially out of season.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simonoakey View Post
    Can anyone recommend a lodge or barn or something similar for two or three adults that's pet friendly, preferably with a hot tub in Dorset? Had a search this morning after seeing this thread and anything with our spec is over £1,200....
    Never needed these as I live down here but friends use these guys to rent properties with,

https://www.dorsetcoastalcottages.co...ndly-cottages/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Never needed these as I live down here but friends use these guys to rent properties with,

https://www.dorsetcoastalcottages.co...ndly-cottages/
    Brilliant, thank you.

My parents have a place in Lyme Regis and I used to take my wife and daughter down a few times a year. They bought the place when they used to live in Kent and used to go frequently but since they moved to Devon it hasn't got much use.
    Now they've bought another place in Topsham and moved some of the furniture from Lyme including one of the beds so it looks like Lyme is day trips only from now on for me!

Craftsman
    I have been going to Lyme regis since I was small.
    Last summer we took the kids and had fantastic weather, what a truly relaxing holiday.
    Also a few years before the children came along we used to take the walk from Lyme to Seaton along the undercliffes, a spectacular walk.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Great photos Tony, as Dave said, we've holidayed in LR for the past 3 years and love the area, the only thing to add that we've enjoyed is Peccarama miniature railway at Beer, not as boring as it sounds, the kids love the little train rides and the gardens are stunning, lots of play area indoor and out too.
    https://www.pecorama.co.uk
    We must organise that meet up this year mate!

Craftsman
    One of my favourite parts of the UK too.

We camped here for a few years in their early days:

http://eweleaze.co.uk/eweleaze-farm

It has become a bit more commercial over the years but still a great site with wonderful views of Weymouth bay if you can pitch on the top field. It's only open during August so book early.

Lovely pictures makes me think I should show the kids more of the U.K.

It's only a short hop from where we live but had many a weekend camping there with the kids over the years.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

Loved the photos Tony...
    Ah, what a great campsite that is...and close to one of my favourite pubs in the land, The Square and Compass at Worth Matravers.

Great pictures OP, I love this area, having grown up nearby on the other side of Poole Harbour. I take my kids there now and climbing at Dancing Ledge and swimming at Durdle Door are two of their favourite things, which makes me unbelievably happy.

The view from our NT cottage over Oct/ Nov 1/2 term

I love the UK when the weather is kind, and sometimes when it isn't

Apprentice
    We have holidayed in Swanage for over 25 years. Studland beach and middle beach are brilliant. We stay at Ulwell Cottage Caravan park, which is excellent. Lovely part of the Country.

Great photos Tony. Do you mind me asking where the beach chalets were

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Great photos Tony. Do you mind me asking where the beach chalets were

Andy
    Thanks Andy. The chalets were in a little Devon village called Branscombe.

You can see them in one of the photos and they're searchable on Google.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 13th February 2017 at 23:57.

Craftsman
    Your photo's capture the area well.

We walked from Beer to Branscome and back last year. The views across the bay were stunning.
    You can get a great breakfast right on the beach at Beer, I think the café is called Duckies.