closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon DSLR help

Master
    Oh yeah and learn how stops work.

Tip: stops are BIG. the difference between 8-11 stops is massive in terms of dynamic range.

However most real world scenes normally don't go higher than 9.5 stops.

Master
    One of the reasons I use a full frame sensor DSLR (primarily a canon 5d mk2 and above) is its easier to replicate a correct motion picture field of view with standard lenses .
    Probably not something to worry about if you are just learning and APS-C sensor is plenty good for that and the bodies are very inexpensive . Only disadvantage as has already been said is the glass. No point spending your money on APS-C lenses if you eventually go up to a full sensor after a few years.

Also if you spend the money on the full sensor body and lenses you can probably get more of your money back when you sell.

However if you are just wetting your whistle initially the cheaper lenses for APS-C will give you more options for less money.

( but lugging a lot of camera equipment up a mountain is something to bear in mind too!)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    You haven't got an offer of 30% off of new Nikon equipment...or have you?

Early in the thread a couple of us posted a link to the same price comparison site. As an alternative you might consider these chaps: link...grey market discount sellers (I believe) but with a reasonable reputation, as I recall.

PS Tell us a little more about the course you have booked, can you please? Is it general, DSLR specific, make specific etc etc?
    Yes thanks for the link. I have been in touch with them as they are very local to me too. Great people with plenary of knowledge. And very cheap.

I'm doing a Intro to photography course at a adults college in twickenham. It's a evening course over 10 weeks that will give me adequate info and skills. I may then do a-level photography in September if all goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Franco81 View Post
    Yes thanks for the link. I have been in touch with them as they are very local to me too. Great people with plenary of knowledge. And very cheap.

I'm doing a Intro to photography course at a adults college in twickenham. It's a evening course over 10 weeks that will give me adequate info and skills. I may then do a-level photography in September if all goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks for the update. It seems to me that you've got the bug...and maybe a budget. Why spend out now? If the guy offering the discount isn't going away, his offer will still be there once you know what you really need/want.

You said that DSLR is a "requirement of the course". Talk to them and see if a controllable compact is OK, eg a S/H Canon G12. I think I'm right in saying that it will give you A, S, Auto, Man & P control (sorry to use Nikon's abbreviations and not Canon's, Av etc) plus zoom and take very decent photographs "of family, dog and wildlife whilst on walks/holiday".

For a bit of reading I'll suggest: Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

If you are in Twickenham you must be pretty local to me.

I have a Canon 40D with Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX (brilliant lens by the way), Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX; Canon 50mm F1.8; Canon 70-200 F2.8L; Canon 300mm F4L; plus tripod, batteries, memory etc. - none of which I use any more. If you want you can borrow any or all of it until either you decide what you want or I want it back.

Craftsman
    So I've decided after trying out many that the canon 80d is the one and I've purchased the boy only. I'm going to buy a 50mm lens for portraits. What other lens shall I go for as a main lens. A couple of people have suggested the 24-70mm usm. Any advice? Thanks. And any bag, filter etc advice. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    So I've decided after trying out many that the canon 80d is the one and I've purchased the boy only. I'm going to buy a 50mm lens for portraits. What other lens shall I go for as a main lens. A couple of people have suggested the 24-70mm usm. Any advice? Thanks. And any bag, filter etc advice. Cheers.
    The 24-70mm isn't a great combination with the 80D, since it's an APS-C camera. Mount it on an 80D and it'll seem more zoomed-in than it would on a full frame camera. (It'll give the same field of view as a 38-112mm lens would on full frame, so you'll have no wide-angle capability at all). The same goes for any 24-something lens.

The previous poster's suggestion of a Sigma 18-50 F2.8 is a good call (there's now a 17-50mm version). It covers a much more useful range (27-80mm equivalent, so essentially matching the range that the 24-70 is designed to give on full frame), has a usefully fast maximum aperture and image stabilization. Canon also makes a 17-55mm F2.8 IS but that's going to be quite a lot more expensive.

Let me know if any of this is unclear.
    Last edited by Marwood; 25th February 2017 at 01:31.

I'd think twice before buying "a 50mm lens for portraits".

Love him or hate him, I think Ken Rockwell is worth reading...Portrait Lenses...before reading up a bit more on the net.

Personally, for portraits I prefer my 85 mm lens on a full-frame camera, if not that then a 70-200 mm telephoto.

Edit: You may get away with your 50 mm lens, if yours is not a full-frame body. It will give you the same FoV as a 80 mm lens on a full-frame camera.
    Last edited by PickleB; 25th February 2017 at 01:35.

Craftsman
    Look up Christopher Frost on YouTube he does reviews on canon lenses, I think he has a top ten budget lenses.
    He sounds like a bit of a knob but knows his stuff.
    I have the sigma 17-50 f2.8 and it is excellent VFM at £270

If you want some help learning your 80d I would happily help if you are local, you can even try out my lenses.
    Cheers
    Neill

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by neillp View Post
    Look up Christopher Frost on YouTube he does reviews on canon lenses, I think he has a top ten budget lenses.
    He sounds like a bit of a knob but knows his stuff.
    I have the sigma 17-50 f2.8 and it is excellent VFM at £270

If you want some help learning your 80d I would happily help if you are local, you can even try out my lenses.
    Cheers
    Neill
    Thanks for your reply, yes I'm in Surrey too so that would be great to learn a little prior to my course starting in April.
    I have just found this bloke on youtube and his voice is pretty annoying but he seems to know his stuff so will check out some videos.

Which camera have you got?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I'd think twice before buying "a 50mm lens for portraits".

Love him or hate him, I think Ken Rockwell is worth reading...Portrait Lenses...before reading up a bit more on the net.

Personally, for portraits I prefer my 85 mm lens on a full-frame camera, if not that then a 70-200 mm telephoto.

Edit: You may get away with your 50 mm lens, if yours is not a full-frame body. It will give you the same FoV as a 80 mm lens on a full-frame camera.
    oh really? no its not a full frame camera so I'm reading that the 50mm will be ok, although I'm a complete novice so welcome any expertise in this matter and am willing to learn the reasons why.

I will look up Ken now.

Many thanks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post

I have a Canon 40D with Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX (brilliant lens by the way), Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX; Canon 50mm F1.8; Canon 70-200 F2.8L; Canon 300mm F4L; plus tripod, batteries, memory etc. - none of which I use any more. If you want you can borrow any or all of it until either you decide what you want or I want it back.
    Thanks very much for your reply and very kind offer, I may take you up on the offer of borrowing a lens or two so i can decide what to purchase for the 80d that I've just bought.

Thanks again.

oh really? no its not a full frame camera so I'm reading that the 50mm will be ok, although I'm a complete novice so welcome any expertise in this matter and am willing to learn the reasons why.

I will look up Ken now.

Many thanks.
    As per my 'Edit', the 50 mm may be the lens for you. The table in KR's article and the section that follows, So what's the optimum portrait lens?, may help you decide. You might like his Crop Factor article if you haven't already read up on the topic.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post

Thanks very much for your reply and very kind offer, I may take you up on the offer of borrowing a lens or two so i can decide what to purchase for the 80d that I've just bought.

Thanks again.

Craftsman
    Thanks for your reply, yes I'm in Surrey too so that would be great to learn a little prior to my course starting in April.
    I have just found this bloke on youtube and his voice is pretty annoying but he seems to know his stuff so will check out some videos.

Which camera have you got?
    I have the 80d so can talk you through the setup 😉
    I am away next weekend skiing but happy to meet up at some point after that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by neillp View Post
    I have the 80d so can talk you through the setup
    I am away next weekend skiing but happy to meet up at some point after that.
    Thanks a lot for the offer. Have a safe trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk