closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: can you actually buy a SS sports Rolex in the uk new.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I notice that a sd50/43 on chrono 24 has been well cut in asking price. Supply must be beginning to filter through.
    What was the reduction, as a matter of interest?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    What was the reduction, as a matter of interest?
    AFAIR it was reduced from 14k to 12.35k. But ad a caveat I would not swear to that in a court of law...
    At any rate it makes me more optimistic that I will get one before too long.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    ... I suspect the AD culling which Rolex have carried out in the UK over the last several years has had more affect on shipments (and product availability) than tourists.
    Can you elaborate on this Chris? I was in town this week and surprised to hear my local AD is loosing its status as a Rolex agent, a bit sad as they've had it since the 1960's

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    AFAIR it was reduced from 14k to 12.35k. But ad a caveat I would not swear to that in a court of law...

I've seen it as low as £11.5k

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yep, bubble is falling on this one fast. Wf won't offer 11k anymore to buy and as more are being sold on people are realising the demand isn't like a Daytona. Very simple in my eyes, this isn't a watch for the masses, and so it will be a rrp retail and available (2-5 month) watch. I was called a deamer but I can read the signs, waiting lists at ads don't mean the outcome. I don't have any skin in the game btw, just my observation of all the signs. Still just my opinion. Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Yep, bubble is falling on this one fast. Wf won't offer 11k anymore to buy and as more are being sold on people are realising the demand isn't like a Daytona. Very simple in my eyes, this isn't a watch for the masses, and so it will be a rrp retail and available (2-5 month) watch. I was called a deamer but I can read the signs, waiting lists at ads don't mean the outcome. I don't have any skin in the game btw, just my observation of all the signs. Still just my opinion. Cheers
    Fully agreed. SD has never done comparatively big numbers and this one is moved even further from the mainstream by its size. Great watch I'm sure, but I wouldn't want to pay any kind of premium on one.

Journeyman
    I don't think that the supply of steel sports rolex is just a problem in the UK. I'm just back from Milan and between an AD and Rolex boutique they only had a couple of Explorer 2's and s Yacht Master blue dial.

Master

can you actually buy a SS sports Rolex in the uk new.

I suspect the SD43 fad will be short run. Lots of incoming and less appealing to Premiership footballer types than the DaytonaC.

Craftsman
    Slightly off topic, what's the views on the new sky dwellers?

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post

Tried them all and think they're brilliant for the money.

Master

Have a look at this thread HERE

DSSD, SD43, Explorer II and Skydweller are all larger watches. Two are not in great demand, I can't see either of the other two being so long term either.

I think for most people 40mm will remain the sweet spot for sports Rolex so will always be the more popular models.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanfisken View Post
    Just put my name down today for a blnr told 2-3 year wait.
    An excellent thread first of all, thanks for all the insights, but this got me thinking and I don't think it's been discussed yet: how do Rolex justify to themselves all the people that will have changed their mind before it's their turn to buy the model they're on the list for? I'm sure it happens - if only for life circumstances not to mention the allure of watches available to buy and take home today rather than in three years' time - and to me, that would mean a lost sale that I could have realised if that person had had the chance to buy the watch when it was still available. I realise Rolex are good at this, maybe the reward in being able to charge what they do because the perception of exclusivity more than offsets it, but it still must feel weird for a business to be knowingly losing sales.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Tried them all and think they're brilliant for the money.
    Will they go down the professional stainless steel route and be desirable and hold money?

Well ive just tried on the new SD43 in my local AD , far better on the wrist than in photos! Shame it wasn't for sale as it was part of a 'Basel tour' . As I left the sales guy said see you in afew years 😂

Will they go down the professional stainless steel route and be desirable and hold money?

I think they will.

Given what's on offer for £10600 asking I see the new offerings holding value better than, for example, a DJ41. Really like it with all the three dials but the blue or black look the best with SS and White Gold

Not in UK . Just received a message from abu dhabhi dutyfree rolex T3 that they have BLNR in stock . If someone is traveling to abu dhabi let me know . maybe i can get it reserved .

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed View Post
    Can you elaborate on this Chris? I was in town this week and surprised to hear my local AD is loosing its status as a Rolex agent, a bit sad as they've had it since the 1960's

Sure - Rolex have ruthlessly culled ADs down in the Uk and have forced ADS to adher to strict conditions to get or continue to hold the Rolex franchise. Take for example Guildford - there used to be two Rolex ADs now there is one (which is not one of the two previous ADs) Kingston used to be two now there is one. Leamington Spa used to have an AD as did Coventry - now there are none. This situation has been replicated all over the UK - not sure what the percentage culled would be perhaps approaching 50%. Less sales outlets means less product availability which means scarcity and tightening of prices (no discounts)

Master
    Cheers for that. I think the key point is the direction of travel. Obviously we don't know what they have actually sold for but the reduction is significant both in terms of their expectations and those of potential purchasers like you. Hopefully good news for those who want one to wear, at list.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    I think they will.

Given what's on offer for £10600 asking I see the new offerings holding value better than, for example, a DJ41. Really like it with all the three dials but the blue or black look the best with SS and White Gold
    Great, I'm looking forward to mine when it comes

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    If you were running a business, and some goods were in short supply, who would you sell them too.....established, long-term customers, or total strangers?
    Whoever turned up first with the cash surely?

Pepsi white gold GMT goldsmiths Meadowhall

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Sure - Rolex have ruthlessly culled ADs down in the Uk and have forced ADS to adher to strict conditions to get or continue to hold the Rolex franchise. Take for example Guildford - there used to be two Rolex ADs now there is one (which is not one of the two previous ADs) Kingston used to be two now there is one. Leamington Spa used to have an AD as did Coventry - now there are none. This situation has been replicated all over the UK - not sure what the percentage culled would be perhaps approaching 50%. Less sales outlets means less product availability which means scarcity and tightening of prices (no discounts)
    Cheers Chris, I had presumed Fraser Hart would probably take over Rolex in Colchester but perhaps we'll be left without an outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by samo1337 View Post

1. I think the thread is about SS models not precious metals.
    2. The Pepsi White Gold GMT is very easy to get - slow seller and Rolex Uk have them in stock. ordered one a couple of weeks back it arrived from Rolex UK within a week. Tried it on but I now understand why it is a slow seller. The ceramic blue and red are a poor imitation of the original and do not have the allure that characterised the original.

Master
    In NI we used to have two or perhaps 3 ADs, one of which had three branches which stocked Rolex. Now we have only one AD which has two branches stocking Rolex, both of which are in Belfast.

2. The Pepsi White Gold GMT is very easy to get - slow seller and Rolex Uk have them in stock. ordered one a couple of weeks back it arrived from Rolex UK within a week. Tried it on but I now understand why it is a slow seller. The ceramic blue and red are a poor imitation of the original and do not have the allure that characterised the original.
    Agreed on all counts. I'd go so far as to say that a wg GMTc has been in every AD window I've looked at over the last few months (maybe one exception). I also tried one on. Very underwhelmed. Certainly did not make me want to part with what is now 28 LARGE for it!!

Master
    Cheers Chris, I had presumed Fraser Hart would probably take over Rolex in Colchester but perhaps we'll be left without an outlet.
    We still have Upchurch do we not?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by samo1337 View Post

I think that has been there a few months now
    They also had one in hnl brown Sheffield
    But at just shy of 30k I'm not surprised now if it were to be ss there would be a 10 year waiting list

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Upchurch sadly has lost the franchise from september. A real shame as they were dealers for some 50 years and such a great place with honest lovely people, last of the dying indie breed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Upchurch sadly has lost the franchise from september. A real shame as they were dealers for some 50 years and such a great place with honest lovely people, last of the dying indie breed.
    This is the real shame. Soon it will only be Goldsmiths and they will be able to insist on only giving you the box. The watch they 'hold' for you and the manager will eat the warranty card in front of you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    This is the real shame. Soon it will only be Goldsmiths and they will be able to insist on only giving you the box. The watch they 'hold' for you and the manager will eat the warranty card in front of you.
    The funny thing is that the hottest watches DO still leak out of Goldsmiths to the trade*, so why at the same time does company policy seem to be to make other, individual buyers miserable?

Not a company I like one bit. Its pseudo-monopoly of UK Rolex sales should be addressed, to the benefit of all other interested parties as far as I can see.

H

* I say that after processing earlier today yet another "premium-attracting" model that was supplied to a recognised trader and thence to me.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 26th June 2017 at 14:23.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    The funny thing is that the hottest watches DO still leak out of Goldsmiths to the trade*, so why at the same time does company policy seem to be to make other, individual buyers miserable?

Not a company I like one bit. Its pseudo-monopoly of UK Rolex sales should be addressed, to the benefit of all other interested parties as far as I can see.

H

* I say that after processing earlier today yet another "premium-attracting" model that was supplied to a recognised trader and thence to me.
    That's shocking! I want my watch with stickers, tags, outer box and coffin case.

Seeing as the AD just bin the coffin case anyway, what's the issue. I saw one in the bin at a local AD.

Master
    That's shocking! I want my watch with stickers, tags, outer box and coffin case.

Seeing as the AD just bin the coffin case anyway, what's the issue. I saw one in the bin at a local AD.

The acrylic delivery box (or "coffin" as it is entirely unsuitably known to forum members) is nothing more than a delivery medium from Rolex to the retailer, which you should never even see.

While it is the most bonkers organisation on the planet, I am not sure that even the European Court of Human Rights believes indulged watch buyers have a right to take possession of this box, but I could be wrong.

What next? "I want the Special Delivery bag my watch was sent to you in, the receipt of posting from Rolex UK AND your purchase invoice or --- do you know WHAT? --- I will walk away right now and then to whom are you going to sell it (apart from that list of fifty people desperate to own it just as watch)?"

I have a cabinet full of these acrylic boxes and, should any member's life be incomplete without one, I will happily send one in return for a small donation to Eddie's fundraiser.

Haywood
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 26th June 2017 at 16:33.

Master
    I had never even heard of the "coffin" until joining this forum. TZ has taught me a lot about watches in general, but I still have no desire to own another box to clutter my life. I do keep my PAMs triple boxed tho 😉😉

Master
    Get ready for a flood of PMs Haywood!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Get ready for a flood of PMs Haywood!
    Haha! Then get ready for me to define "a small donation to Eddie's fundraiser!"

Master
    One thing I would say about the coffin is that typically they will also have a part of a serial number sticker applied to it as well in some cases...And they are excellent travel cases...

Master
    I got lucky with an Explorer 214270 in Leeds (Goldsmiths) at the weekend. There it was in the window, along with a lot of Datejusts and some Explorer 2s.

What annoyed me about the experience was that I traded my 114270 with them but their first offer for it was beyond a joke. As soon as I showed them a quote from elsewhere, they matched it though - which meant doubling what they first offered. Clear attempt to take advantage in my view. Didn't quite stop me doing the deal though given the end price was spot on.

Craftsman
    The acrylic box is great for saving space in a safe and travelling. I also ask for freebies and discounts, if you don't ask you don't get. All part of the buying experience.

Oh, and HM I have just bought a sought model without the stickers and acrylic case

Craftsman
    I received the "coffin" with my Deep Sea Blue last September, not because I asked for it but the AD put it in the bag and said it might come in handy for storage (which it does when the watch goes in the safe when I'm on holiday). I didn't get the coffin with my GMTiiC or Daytona (and didn't know what it was at the time) but wish I had now again purely for handy storage in the safe.

Blog Entries

Does anyone know if Baker Bros in Bedford are still continuing or part of changes?

Master

can you actually buy a SS sports Rolex in the uk new.

New sub date in the window of Upchurch in Colchester this afternoon.

Waiting list all flaked apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Not from the end of August.

Journeyman
    H L Brown in Doncaster had a 116710LN in the window last Tuesday.

Master
    If anyone is dithering over a 116610LN available at list price, buy it. Supply remains very limited in relation to demand on that one.

HM

Master

New sub date in the window of Upchurch in Colchester this afternoon.

Waiting list all flaked apparently.
    That's very surprising. I think I'd rather have that and £2,000 in my pocket than a SD43.

Banned

Non date sub aria

New Sub non date in Windsor today , not on display.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    If anyone is dithering over a 116610LN available at list price, buy it. Supply remains very limited in relation to demand on that one.

HM
    May I ask your experience of demand on the Hulk, Haywood?

There was an Explorer 1 in Whittles Preston last Saturday.

Journeyman
    Explorer II (black dial) and GMT both in Mallory's Bath window this morning. Suspect they had a delivery this week as there weren't any stainless steel in the window last Saturday. Also a Milgauss.