closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ducati 848 or 899 Panigale

Ducati 848 or 899 Panigale

I know there are a few bikers on here, so I thought I would ask opinion.

Does anyone have any riding experience of the above bikes? I'm looking at getting one or the other and wanted some real world experience of living with a sports Ducati.

I've read a few magazine reviews, but these are not strictly long-term reviews. My last bike was a GSXR 750 K6 which I sold a couple years ago.

Thanks

Chalk and cheese other than they're both Ducati sports bikes,the 899 is more refined and offers more features (quickshift,ABS,Riding modes etc)..also lack of belt changes needed,other than the fact if its purely down to budget or you really crave to own an 848 for aesthetic reasons,then buy the Panigale.

Panigale, or another newer GSXR750 ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

I'll do you a stonking deal on my fireblade. Simply one of the best bikes you will get on the road - will take you to the continent in comfort, fulfil your commuting needs with ease, put a smile on your face every Sunday, and with the right rider will get the lap record on the TT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OejSe1gLzKg&sns=em

I've ridden the 899 & 959 Panigale.

The 899 was very different, but not objectively better than my K8 GSXR 750. Similar performance, but the Panilgale was slower steering / more stable, than the K8. I actually preferred the more nimble K8.

The 959 Panigale moves the game on quite a bit and last year I seriously considered buying one, but instead for similar money, I bought a 1 year old S1000RR which is an absolute weapon.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

When I had my gsxr 750 k7 a few years back I almost sold it for a 848, had a test ride and everything was sorted. Went out for one more blast on my k7 and thought no chance am I selling this! Kept it for a few more years before selling up when I had kids. The ducati is just more of a "show" bike, does not ride or go any better than a k7 maybe alot worse IMO. I would get another GSXR 750, well actually no I have told myself it is far to fast and if I got a bike again it would be a street or speed triple or some kinda naked bike to stop going overly fast.

I'm going to sort out some test rides when the weather is a little fairer, but it's 100% a Ducati I would like.

It's an itch that need's scratching and I'm not looking for the fastest bike in this category, it's heart over head for once!

Thanks for the input guy's much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Boarder1 View Post
    it's heart over head for once
    The Panigale's are certainly beautiful bikes and they sound great. If you can afford the 959 I'd go for it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Have a look at the DucatiUK forum here,

http://ducatiforum.co.uk/forums/

Theres loads of info on there, tips, good and bad points, and some good s/h bikes for sale. Not biaised one bit, but have you thought of a Diavel, one hell of a bike.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post

Theres loads of info on there, tips, good and bad points, and some good s/h bikes for sale. Not biaised one bit, but have you thought of a Diavel, one hell of a bike.

Stuart
    I sat on a Diavel and it just feels massive, although the actual overall weight was not that bad.

It's the looks that are a bit Marmite for me.

Will check the forum out though, so thanks!

Craftsman
    How about an 888 SP? never loose value and when not riding it can just look at it Cheers, JohnB4

I sat on a Diavel and it just feels massive, although the actual overall weight was not that bad.

It's the looks that are a bit Marmite for me.

Will check the forum out though, so thanks!

They do feel massive at first, because of the air scoops etc. However, once its rolling it is just fine. No more achy back and wrists though, and as much grin factor induced by your right hand as you're ever going to need. You will keep up with the sportsbikes with ease, if thats your bag. I get the thing about looks, but tbh I love mine, and so it seems does everyone else. Wherever me and my mate pull up on them, peeps come to inspect 'em.

Test ride anything before you buy and give it a fair crack, thats all I'd say for any bike you may end up with.

Stuart

They do feel massive at first, because of the air scoops etc. However, once its rolling it is just fine. No more achy back and wrists though, and as much grin factor induced by your right hand as you're ever going to need. You will keep up with the sportsbikes with ease, if thats your bag. I get the thing about looks, but tbh I love mine, and so it seems does everyone else. Wherever me and my mate pull up on them, peeps come to inspect 'em.

Test ride anything before you buy and give it a fair crack, thats all I'd say for any bike you may end up with.

Stuart
    The non achey back is seriously appealing, i sat on an xdiavel yesterday and it felt like such a different bike to sit on compared to the regular diavel. Now to sort out test rides!

I had a 900ss and a 916, the latter would be agony for me today.

At the bike show I sat on the new 900ss which is more powerful the 916 but a lot more comfortable than the new panigale.

The new Panigale does have a lot more power and is only a grand more expensive but if the 900ss were £1500 cheaper it'd be a no brainier for most people.

I rode regularly a 900 ss in the late 70s early 80s. It was agony then just to get out of Paris. Once on a nice twisty road though it was heaven.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Unfortunately mine was an early belt drive model rather than a bevel drive. It wasn't too uncomfortable but they'd covered that base with the 851/888 by then!

Craftsman
    Used to have a 851, but gave sports bike up a few years ago. The week before I broke my hip I went all hipster (pardon the pun) and bought a Scrambler, hoping to be able to ride it soon 🙁

The non achey back is seriously appealing, i sat on an xdiavel yesterday and it felt like such a different bike to sit on compared to the regular diavel. Now to sort out test rides!

One of my sons has a new Harley 48 with the feet forward position, and tbh I actually find it uncomfortable for long journeys. I get quite a severe pain in both hip joints as you're sort of sat leaning slightly forward and with your feet pushed forward. It may just be me as I know loads of folk buy these things with that riding position. Also, it is totally different riding round bends, as on a 'normal' sit up or sports bike, you can sort of grip the tank with your knees if you know what I mean, with feet forward its just not the same. Test ride, a long one, will let you decide whether this is the riding position for you. I believe Ducati are planing a kit to make the feet forward controls moveavble, they may indeed have already done this, worth asking, but ask the price as well when you're sat down !!. The XDiavel is however one drop dead gorgeous bike. Hope you get it all sorted,

Stuart

Stuart
    +1 for the Diavel. Went back to this for the second time after selling my 1198S. These bikes are just awesome and the handling is close to "witchcraft". Pure magic!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    +1 for the Diavel. Went back to this for the second time after selling my 1198S. These bikes are just awesome and the handling is close to "witchcraft". Pure magic!

Lovely!
    I struggled between one of these and the Multistrada DVT and in the end went for the Multi, which I still think was the right decision, for me.......but I do keep looking at Diavels (not XDiavels so much - I found the Diavel much more comfortable than the X).

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post

That pic does make it look good from the rear!

I see in some advert that dealers are offering the moving of foot pegs as a freebie, more investigation needed and I thought this was going to be easy!

My 996 SPS is coming up for sale very soon , seriously whatever you choose you will never want to ride an Il4 again after the power delivery of an L twin.

That pic does make it look good from the rear!
    Yup, that rear tyre is wider than a Kardashians ass, and just as sticky !!

Heres mine, just had the Termis polished, makes a world of difference visually IMO,

Stuart

I'm going to sort out some test rides when the weather is a little fairer, but it's 100% a Ducati I would like.

It's an itch that need's scratching and I'm not looking for the fastest bike in this category, it's heart over head for once!

Thanks for the input guy's much appreciated!
    That's a Ducati for you

Heres mine, just had the Termis polished, makes a world of difference visually IMO,

Stuart
    You are no help...........that looks the ti*s! Great pic!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oysterman View Post
    My 996 SPS is coming up for sale very soon , seriously whatever you choose you will never want to ride an Il4 again after the power delivery of an L twin.
    Any chance of sharing a few pics?

pic attached ,i think
    Attached Images Attached Images

seriously whatever you choose you will never want to ride an Il4 again after the power delivery of an L twin.
    Many would disagree of course.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I have seen a carbon Diavel on an 11 plate with lots of extras including termi exhaust, 7k miles and its at a dealers for £10.5k.

What's the opinions on price?

I have seen a carbon Diavel on an 11 plate with lots of extras including termi exhaust, 7k miles and its at a dealers for £10.5k.

What's the opinions on price?
    I paid £11k for mine, its a 2013 Black, and had 791 miles on it last July when I bought it, fsh from a Ducati dealer, even though it had only done less that 1k miles. Full termi with remap and filter, frame bungs, custom seat, duc cnc cylinder covers and other bits and bobs. Be warned though, the Termis are loud, very loud, especially unbaffled as mine are.

My mate bought his 11 plate Carbon off evilbay with 8K and paid £8300 , again full termi and new tyres in August last year.

Its a case of looking around and seeing whats available. If you have no p/ex then offer much MUCH less and start there. Theres a 12 plate on in Ducati Mcr with less miles for £10995 but with no p/ex go in at £9700 and chance your arm, they can only say no.

Or take a punt on ebay, my mate has no regrets with his. Have a look at this one for instance
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Dia...EAAOSwo4pYk2Du
    I think that is the Mk2 version with the twin spark engine, supposed to be a bit smoother at low revs. Thats poss 3 years younger for the same money, and if your a cash buyer get in and chip them.

Good luck with whatever you buy. As a general rule, dealers will always be a bit more that private sales, but you get some security. Just ensure a FSH, and remember belts need doing at 5 years or 15k, so room to manouvre, also as the weather gets better prices may creep up. But I reckon you know all that allready !!

Stuart
    Last edited by cinnabull; 13th February 2017 at 17:28.

Always happy to give advice to a forum member on Doocartys,know a little about them...the X Diavel does include a mid footrest conversion at the moment.

Master

Stuart
    very nice.

pic attached ,i think
    Classic beauty!

I paid £11k for mine, its a 2013 Black, and had 791 miles on it last July when I bought it, fsh from a Ducati dealer, even though it had only done less that 1k miles. Full termi with remap and filter, frame bungs, custom seat, duc cnc cylinder covers and other bits and bobs. Be warned though, the Termis are loud, very loud, especially unbaffled as mine are.

My mate bought his 11 plate Carbon off evilbay with 8K and paid £8300 , again full termi and new tyres in August last year.

Its a case of looking around and seeing whats available. If you have no p/ex then offer much MUCH less and start there. Theres a 12 plate on in Ducati Mcr with less miles for £10995 but with no p/ex go in at £9700 and chance your arm, they can only say no.

Or take a punt on ebay, my mate has no regrets with his. Have a look at this one for instance
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Dia...EAAOSwo4pYk2Du
    I think that is the Mk2 version with the twin spark engine, supposed to be a bit smoother at low revs. Thats poss 3 years younger for the same money, and if your a cash buyer get in and chip them.

Good luck with whatever you buy. As a general rule, dealers will always be a bit more that private sales, but you get some security. Just ensure a FSH, and remember belts need doing at 5 years or 15k, so room to manouvre, also as the weather gets better prices may creep up. But I reckon you know all that allready !!

Stuart
    Thanks for the advice, I am cash buying so cheeky offer time it is!

I didn't know about the twin spark engine or when there belts needed doing, so much appreciated for the wise words.

So a quick update, I have now put a deposit on an 11 plate Diavel.

I will post some pics once it arrive, but happy biker to say the least!!

Congratulations, looking forward to the pics

Bit of a change of plan. Hope you like it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Awesome bikes! Still miss mine.

You wont regret this I'm sure, you will have a big grin every time you ride. I absolutely love mine and like I say, I've had most types of bikes over the years but this is deffo my favourite. Congrats on your purchase, and looking forward to the pics.

Stuart

Good choice OP - look forward to seeing those pics

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Bit of a change of plan. Hope you like it.
    Yeah, quite a big change in plans, but after trying sports bikes again, i decided they were not for me anymore, but comfort and powet of the Diavel is.

I only have one issue im tryinv to resolve with the seller and that is the red key is missing, the seller has the black one only.

Any advice, as google has split opinions.

Yeah, quite a big change in plans, but after trying sports bikes again, i decided they were not for me anymore, but comfort and powet of the Diavel is.

I only have one issue im tryinv to resolve with the seller and that is the red key is missing, the seller has the black one only.

Any advice, as google has split opinions.
    I would insist on the red key and would test it before parting with any cash. edit - I believe the red key is the passive key (shorter range than the black/electronic key). If the seller has 'lost' one of the keys it could be used to start the bike and disable any alerts from a tracker. The solution might be an expensive job replacing the ignition system.....but I stand to be corrected.

I found this informative but cannot confirm whether it is 100% accurate http://ducatipartsunlimited.com/p/duc-101

edit (again!):
    I just checked my manual (Multistrada) and it says:

Duplicate keys
    When a customer needs spare keys, he/she shall contact a Ducati authorised service centre and bring all keys he/she still has.
    The Ducati authorised service centre will program all new and old keys.
    The Ducati authorised service centre may ask to the customer to prove to be the motorcycle owner.
    The codes of the keys missing during the programming procedure will be erased to ensure that any lost key can not start the engine.

So, it might not be a difficult or expensive job to get the black key reprogrammed and a new red key programmed .....so any 'lost' key could not be used.
    Last edited by Stanford; 22nd February 2017 at 23:48.

Yeah, quite a big change in plans, but after trying sports bikes again, i decided they were not for me anymore.
    Each to their own of course and I do hope you love the Diavel. They certainly look the business.

With a GSXR 750 track bike, I thought I'd be fine with the BMW S1000r for road use when I got it. Fantastic bike as it was, after 2 years I wanted a sports / superbike for the road as well.

I nearly bought a 959 Panigale, but the S1000rr blew me away, so that's what I went for.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Each to their own of course and I do hope you love the Diavel. They certainly look the business.

With a GSXR 750 track bike, I thought I'd be fine with the BMW S1000r for road use when I got it. Fantastic bike as it was, after 2 years I wanted a sports / superbike for the road as well.

I nearly bought a 959 Panigale, but the S1000rr blew me away, so that's what I went for.
    The S1000RR is a phenomenal machine and the acceleration epic. Sold mine due to the high probability of losing my license.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I would insist on the red key and would test it before parting with any cash. edit - I believe the red key is the passive key (shorter range than the black/electronic key). If the seller has 'lost' one of the keys it could be used to start the bike and disable any alerts from a tracker. The solution might be an expensive job replacing the ignition system.....but I stand to be corrected.

I found this informative but cannot confirm whether it is 100% accurate http://ducatipartsunlimited.com/p/duc-101

edit (again!):
    I just checked my manual (Multistrada) and it says:

Duplicate keys
    When a customer needs spare keys, he/she shall contact a Ducati authorised service centre and bring all keys he/she still has.
    The Ducati authorised service centre will program all new and old keys.
    The Ducati authorised service centre may ask to the customer to prove to be the motorcycle owner.
    The codes of the keys missing during the programming procedure will be erased to ensure that any lost key can not start the engine.

So, it might not be a difficult or expensive job to get the black key reprogrammed and a new red key programmed .....so any 'lost' key could not be used.
    This was what i was hoping might be the case, as some stories on net are talking about replcing ecu, lock barrels and around 1500 pounds to do so. Thanks for posting!

In relation to the red key, I would certainly run this past an official dealer and find out what is involved. If its not a lot to sort, fine, if it is, then get the cost taken off the purchase price of the bike.

Try calling the last owner on the V5 and see if he may have kept it by mistake, you never know. As I always use the red key to start and not the black, afaik using the black would mean you have to input the security pin in each time you ride the bike, if so that sound like a right PITA. Maybe worth checking that out, in any case there must be a reason there are two totally different keys issued as standard. Also, what if you lose the black one and then have no keys, unlikely I know, but if someone has already lost the red one... how would you get fuel in especially if you're miles from home,

Stuart
    Last edited by cinnabull; 23rd February 2017 at 11:59.

As far as i'm aware a red key can be progarmmed from a black key and vice versa...pretty sure we had a call from someone yesterday about the same thing,probably your seller.

Master
    Another good question might be Ducati Supersport vs Triumph Street Triple 765RS...

Quote Originally Posted by thorpey69 View Post
    As far as i'm aware a red key can be progarmmed from a black key and vice versa...pretty sure we had a call from someone yesterday about the same thing,probably your seller.
    It might have been me!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Another good question might be Ducati Supersport vs Triumph Street Triple 765RS...
    Checked out the new supersport at the excel show last weekend, looked lovely!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Checked out the new supersport at the excel show last weekend, looked lovely!

Depending on the key shape Avanti can clone the key - they did one of mine so I now have 3 keys whilst the clocks will only allow a maximum of 2 keys.

http://www.avantiraceparts.co.uk/doc...i_Key_Form.pdf

Mine is a 2008 so possibly not the latest keys however as I know the multi I rode was different.