closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Seiko 62MAS Re-Issue at Basel 2017

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    This is definitely a "market will stand" LE price, and bears no relation to the quality of work on offer inside this watch.

Dave
    On reflection, as nice as it looks, you are spot on Dave

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is definitely a "market will stand" LE price, and bears no relation to the quality of work on offer inside this watch.
    GS represents a massive step up in case, dial, hands etc etc, and I applaud GS's ability to charge for it (even if used prices are unfairly low and only just beginning to look sensible).
    But this? No.
    Bog standard filled applied indices, on a simple sunburst dial.
    The case is (as per the original) of agricultural engineering style, with no chamfers, differnetial case finsihes or anything else.
    There really is no actual justification for the price here other than they know it will sell out, regardless of what they charge.
    I would love to have one, but would feel cheated paying half the asking price.
    The gold MM300 LE is much better value at half this cost (used).
    IMHO
    Dave
    /Rant
    Wrote pretty much the same thing on SCWF. So this is for those that craved a "62MAS reissue" over and over again and then the pseudo cachet of limited editions being for the select few, ironically pushes it as "unreachable' (according to the supporters of a reissue) as the original that was too expensive at half the price they go for now, which isn't even even half the price this thing goes for.

Flies in the face of what Seiko represented to me, and they got it so wrong. Bit like the Zimbe, nice and everything, but wait what? How much... Seiko are in danger of becoming more BS than GS. And aside from the obvious acronym, maybe Bland Seiko is more to the point. You can't just charge obscene amounts of money because some marketing dweeb signed up for the role with a slim but passable knowledge of the second hand market for vintage pieces, and pluck random digits out of the air for a price 'til it seems reasonable to an idiot. I highly doubt it was made with the true passion it deserved. If it did it would look worth it. The lume plots, the printed logo, the insert font and finish (far flung from the pre-order shots) the sweep hand shape to the computer printed reference of the dolphin logo, it's all a massive let down and only appeals to people who don't really care about the original, let alone what it represents. A real shame imo. Those that buy it will I'm sure enjoy it. If I was given one I'd trade it for something else. Or a few other things.

Those that own both by that point will probably already be aware of what they would hold on to, knowing also how overpriced the original has become.

\Rant.

Master
    GS represents a massive step up in case, dial, hands etc etc, and I applaud GS's ability to charge for it (even if used prices are unfairly low and only just beginning to look sensible).
    But this? No.
    Bog standard filled applied indices, on a simple sunburst dial.
    The case is (as per the original) of agricultural engineering style, with no chamfers, differnetial case finsihes or anything else.
    There really is no actual justification for the price here other than they know it will sell out, regardless of what they charge.
    I would love to have one, but would feel cheated paying half the asking price.
    The gold MM300 LE is much better value at half this cost (used).
    IMHO
    Dave
    Agreed. It is a pity that the more accessible model was not the one that was closest to the original, with the LE having something really special to justify the price. It’s a bit of a let down for the fans really.

Craftsman

Is it worth the risk?

After a bit of searching I found this site and added my basket with the goodies shown. Worth the risk do you think?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    After a bit of searching I found this site and added my basket with the goodies shown. Worth the risk do you think?

Have you tried Cortana?

Master
    I like it and think it's a reasonable LE however, like a lot of others have said, it's too aggressive in pricing. This doesn't surprise me at all as it's the nature of this industry now, whether you are Seiko or any other brand for the most part. I personally think it's all bonkers with regards to pricing and we as a society band around these sorts of figures as if it's spare change. I mean, you have a guy on Hodinkee saying that the new steel reissue GS is "fantastic" value at $5,700 US! Maybe it's just me, but I still feel that's a lot of money today and wouldn't describe it as "value".

Master
    The price would have been almost half justified with an applied Seiko logo, proper engraved caseback and the correct indices.

I'd never buy one as it stands as it just has a cheap mass produced feel about it.

The original 62MAS has such a unique look to the indices, their size is almost like a mismatch to the size of the watch face but it's become the identity of the watch. I just don't understand why they'd make a remake and not get the most defining feature right. Every time I look at that 12 marker I just think it looks like a ladies version of the 62MAS.

Boring to hear it again but one could get a really good original 62MAS for closer to £2k. I'm not criticising Seiko's decision on where to place this in the market but whilst originals are cheaper that's what I'd be looking to buy for the 62MAS experience.

I'm waiting to see what these start getting flipped for.

Craftsman
    I see Jura have stuck a £500 mark up on the 3800 euro RRP. Cheeky blighters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    Have you tried Cortana?
    Not yet, but worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    The price would have been almost half justified with an applied Seiko logo, proper engraved caseback and the correct indices.

I'd never buy one as it stands as it just has a cheap mass produced feel about it.

The original 62MAS has such a unique look to the indices, their size is almost like a mismatch to the size of the watch face but it's become the identity of the watch. I just don't understand why they'd make a remake and not get the most defining feature right. Every time I look at that 12 marker I just think it looks like a ladies version of the 62MAS.
    I totally agree with this, as nice as this re-issue is the dial just looks like an aftermarket one - the original is far nicer imo.

The rest of the watch looks really good, but the dial and handset don't quite cut it for me.

£3750... That's funny.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    £3750... That's funny.

Official price is 3800 Euros, so roughly £3300. So Jura are taking the pi55 with their pricing.

Heres the worse bit, the RRP in USA is $3400, which is roughly £2750.

It'll all be worth £3750 come Wednesday. Well done everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    It'll all be worth £3750 come Wednesday. Well done everyone.
    Unlucky...

Master
    Here we go, officially :-):

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...edition-sla017

Edit: Amazing, I've just noticed the "sold out" status. Obviously it wasn't too expensive then.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Here we go, officially :-):

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...edition-sla017

Edit: Amazing, I've just noticed the "sold out" status. Obviously it wasn't too expensive then.
    Well sold out of how ever many watches they were allocated rather than all 2000!

I really don't like the dial colour, black matt for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Well sold out of how ever many watches they were allocated rather than all 2000!
    Yes I get that much but even so, I was surprised considering the price, although they may well have only been allocated one watch.