closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seiko 62MAS Re-Issue at Basel 2017

Looks like a worthy reissue. 350,000 yen. And it'll probably sell out on pre orders.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Hoping for matt ceramic, but expecting aluminium
    Agreed, matt ceramic would be my preference.

Looks fantastic thanks for sharing!

Any equivalent pictures of the 6R15 version yet? Thank you.

Master
    Not saying I'm definitely going to buy it but any time I've enquiries about preordering a seiko, the UK stores have more or less laughed at me. One even stated "it's normally a rolex you would preorder...". Do any of you buy in the UK, or do you go to Seiya etc?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Do any of you buy in the UK, or do you go to Seiya etc?
    I asked Jura if it was possible to pre-order one but they were not sure whether they would be allocated any and would only find out if they would be when they were at Baselworld. They did say they would let me know but I ended up putting a deposit down with Timeless Luxury Watches in the US who seemed to know the amount they were being allocated. I believe that allocation has now been taken up.

Master
    Not saying I'm definitely going to buy it but any time I've enquiries about preordering a seiko, the UK stores have more or less laughed at me. One even stated "it's normally a rolex you would preorder...". Do any of you buy in the UK, or do you go to Seiya etc?
    Finding a Seiko dealer in the UK is hard enough.... Then when you do, all their best models are JDM. Strange situation.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I love it but two and a half large is too salty for my palate, and that's before you get hit for the raggy on import.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely thing, too rich for me though.

Master

I contacted Seiya, he stated he didn't even know if he was going to get one or that they would even be available in Japan.

I contacted the Seiko boutique in Holland, they didn't even know about it, and said anything would have to wait until after Baselworld.

From the UK I contacted Jura, they were pretty much the same, didn't know about it and said to look out for anything on the website.

Peplows were much of the same, but after a few days said they would take a deposit but didn't even know if they were getting one - er no thanks.

From the UK by far the best response was from Simon at James Porter in Glasgow, he contacted Seiko immediately and was very keen on trying to get an allocation of this and other limited editions.

If anyone was still keen on obtaining from the Uk I would recommend speaking to Simon at James Porter.

In the end I contacted Timeless (dallas), AZ Fine Time (Arizona) and Toppers Jewellers (NY) - all of whom knew exactly what model it was, the specs, their allocation and were already taking pre-orders. Either UK/EU aren't selling enough to warrant attention from SEIKO or they aren't doing enough work to secure SEIKO's allocations. Somewhere in the middle probably.

As is Ben's, mine is pre-ordered through Timeless.

I've don't really ever recall initially liking a new piece from any brand as much as this. I can see no negatives bar the price, and I think we can usually nitpick something on even our favourite watches.

I want one so bad but just don't have the money for it right now. So annoyed! I wish it wasn't a LE and was a bit more accessible price-wise but no doubt it will only add to its allure...

Blog Entries
    I contacted Seiya, he stated he didn't even know if he was going to get one or that they would even be available in Japan.

I contacted the Seiko boutique in Holland, they didn't even know about it, and said anything would have to wait until after Baselworld.

From the UK I contacted Jura, they were pretty much the same, didn't know about it and said to look out for anything on the website.

Peplows were much of the same, but after a few days said they would take a deposit but didn't even know if they were getting one - er no thanks.

From the UK by far the best response was from Simon at James Porter in Glasgow, he contacted Seiko immediately and was very keen on trying to get an allocation of this and other limited editions.

If anyone was still keen on obtaining from the Uk I would recommend speaking to Simon at James Porter.

In the end I contacted Timeless (dallas), AZ Fine Time (Arizona) and Toppers Jewellers (NY) - all of whom knew exactly what model it was, the specs, their allocation and were already taking pre-orders. Either UK/EU aren't selling enough to warrant attention from SEIKO or they aren't doing enough work to secure SEIKO's allocations. Somewhere in the middle probably.
    Thanks for relating your experiences -- most informative.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Thanks for relating your experiences -- most informative.
    Yes thanks, really appreciate the contacts

I contacted Katsu San (Higuchi) - not taking deposits on this watch.

Master
    Heres the 43mm model using the 6R15 movement

Also comes in blue

Craftsman
    I too crumbled and put down a deposit with Timeless luxury for the limited edition reissue of the 62MAS, the SBDX019. I bought Coot's beautiful SBDX012 and was so blown away with the quality and feel of the watch, I couldn't resist. I was saving for a hulk but this has been radically derailed as I prefer the lower profile of these incredible and historic watches.

I hope I'm not betraying a confidence, I assume not as I was told up front, that I'd reserved #17 of Timeless's allocation of 20 watches. So this will give you some indication of both previous demand and current availability.

I'm hoping that the SBDX012 (both photos courtesy of google)

and the 62MAS, the SBDX019

will compliment each other nicely.

If you'd like to put your name down there are still a few available on pre-order it seems.

I must say I don't think the LE 62MAS and the non-LE 62MAS really look very much alike.

Heres the 43mm model using the 6R15 movement

Also comes in blue

Thank you very much for sharing! Looks nice, but nothing like the limited version IMHO. Still it is possible that I will get one when available, black version on rubber

Follow up, just realized that the change on the dial from dashes to triangles is probably IMHO what makes the greater difference in the looks compared to the 62mas. Also, the hands don't fit so well in this design IMHO, IMHO they fit in something bigger and badder such as the Tuna, they came from.

I'm sure there will be a big market for mods on that cheaper model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the LE 62MAS, the larger non LE version does nothing for me though. Shame really as the LE version is out of my price range.

This looks fantastic, not too thick, not too large, great heritage, good movement and lovely dial. I would gladly swap my Black Bay for this...

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting those most recent photos 'steppy'. I think the price is tto high for me though if it is what people are saying.

Craftsman
    Forgive my ignorance on this, but was the original case 39mm like the limited edition reissue?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mr_esearch View Post
    Forgive my ignorance on this, but was the original case 39mm like the limited edition reissue?

37mm

Doesn't wear like a 37mm dive watch imo. Maybe the big crown bulks it up a bit?

Craftsman
    Okay so the limited edition is closest to original size. Thanks

Master
    Taken from James Dowling on Twitter...

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Taken from James Dowling on Twitter...

It looks fairly faithful to the original, but how much are they asking for it???

€3800

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    It looks fairly faithful to the original, but how much are they asking for it???

I placed an order through Timeless a few weeks ago who quoted $3400

Master
    Looks like the same bezel material as the MM300, lacquered

Love the sunburst dial, did the original have that?

Craftsman
    Really absolutely loving the look of every detail. Craving more pics!

Craftsman
    It looks like the 3800 euro figure is correct. That is a bit of an eye watering price, nice as the watch is.

I was all for buying one, but for that kind of outlay I will have to give it a miss unfortunately.

Bond NATO looks mint

Mozza

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    It looks like the 3800 euro figure is correct. That is a bit of an eye watering price, nice as the watch is.

I was all for buying one, but for that kind of outlay I will have to give it a miss unfortunately.

I feel the same way, I like the watch but it's overpriced imo by a fair bit if you take in to account that the guts of it are the same as the MM300 which has a bracelet and costs far less.

Master
    I feel the same way, I like the watch but it's overpriced imo by a fair bit if you take in to account that the guts of it are the same as the MM300 which has a bracelet and costs far less.
    Not trying to justify the price but just to point out, this does come with a bracelet as well.

https://www.seikowatches.com/press_r...-07/index.html

'Silicone strap. A stainless steel bracelet is included.'

Not trying to justify the price but just to point out, this does come with a bracelet as well.

https://www.seikowatches.com/press_r...-07/index.html

'Silicone strap. A stainless steel bracelet is included.'
    At least that's something but I'm sure it will look better on the strap, but bracelet or not I can't see anything that makes this watch worth more than £2k.

Master
    At least that's something but I'm sure it will look better on the strap, but bracelet or not I can't see anything that makes this watch worth more than £2k.
    It certainly is steep and at a price point where it has got me considering if I should be looking at a GS diver again instead!

It certainly is steep and at a price point where it has got me considering if I should be looking at a GS diver again instead!
    I love the vintage/retro look and would much rather shell out for this than the GS diver, hold your nerve and post the photos when it arrives.

Craftsman
    I love the vintage/retro look and would much rather shell out for this than the GS diver, hold your nerve and post the photos when it arrives.
    I agree. Quality is remembered when price is forgotten. That sunburst dial just looks wonderful. I wish there were more pictures....

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    I agree. Quality is remembered when price is forgotten. That sunburst dial just looks wonderful. I wish there were more pictures....

But is the quality argument still there when you can get an MM300 for less or a GS for similar?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    But is the quality argument still there when you can get an MM300 for less or a GS for similar?
    Got an mm300. Awesome

Craftsman
    From WUS. Expensive but just looks soooo fine

Very nice, I bet it will look even better in the sun.

Looks fantastic! So well proportioned. I can only hope it depreciates and is available on the second market

Master
    Looks great to me.

Its now officially called SLA017 (and not SBDX019) and its been confirmed that the USA price is $3400, whereas the UK/EU price is 3800 Euros

I think it is incredible, but struggling to see it as a £3k watch though

I like it quite a bit.
    As for the price,Seiko is learning to charge what it thinks markets will bear.
    Look at the GS offerings. Pretty nice but quite expensive as well.

Seiko 62MAS Re-Issue at Basel 2017

I really like it. Price? Well when was the price of any luxury watch in any way close to its engineering value? Limited production numbers should retain its value. I'm actually pretty interested

Dave

This is definitely a "market will stand" LE price, and bears no relation to the quality of work on offer inside this watch.
    GS represents a massive step up in case, dial, hands etc etc, and I applaud GS's ability to charge for it (even if used prices are unfairly low and only just beginning to look sensible).
    But this? No.
    Bog standard filled applied indices, on a simple sunburst dial.
    The case is (as per the original) of agricultural engineering style, with no chamfers, differnetial case finsihes or anything else.
    There really is no actual justification for the price here other than they know it will sell out, regardless of what they charge.
    I would love to have one, but would feel cheated paying half the asking price.
    The gold MM300 LE is much better value at half this cost (used).
    IMHO
    Dave

I agree Dave - if this was a GS at this price id say it's worth it. But this does seem as if it's a milking exercise unfortunately. Yet nostalgia will make this desirable....