closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some advice on my Tissot push set..

Master

Question Some advice on my Tissot push set..

Just after a bit of advice as I can't find any info about this model.

My old Tissot stylist quartz has a little push button that advances the time. I hadn't had the watch out for many years and a few months back decided to get a new battery for her. But the push button appeared to be stuck. Now in my mind the push button is a rod running through the case and pressing on the movement (?) and I assumed it had seized inside its tube.

I was informed the crystal needed to be removed for battery swap as it's a top loader so I took it to a jeweller that was the only one willing to have a go.

When I took the watch in I explained about the pusher but the people in the shop didn't really seem interested. I explained I thought it was stuck and could the repairer free it off while the movement was out (I thought this might actually be quite simply a case of some lube and working it back and forth). I asked a rough idea on price and the lady said it'd be about £10, I did assume it would be a lot more but when I collected the watch the young lad charged me £7.50! So immediately I'm thinking my repair request fell on deaf ears.

I asked about the pusher and the lad just said "oh yeah, that's stuck" to which I referred back to my asking if it could have been free'd off. He just said that "it can't be and the watch maker normally fits a new battery movement". Righto, err... "it is a battery movement" I say "oh yeah" he says.

So basically the people in the shop most likely never even passed on my request and while nice enough haven't really got a clue. The lad's solution (other than a movement swap for a cheap battery one lol) was to "bring it back when the clocks change". Which wouldn't be so bad apart from the watch maker having set the time about 3 minutes slow anyway (held the same for the last few weeks)

Does anyone have experience of the pusher and maybe what it looks like in regards to the mechanics? I'm assuming it's just a case of freeing it off.

I actually rang round a lot of places and nobody would touch it, I was just told to send it to Tissot.

I guess the other option is for me to take it back and get their guy to take th crystal out and I could take over from there and press it back (as I have a press just no way of removing a top loader crystal). I did wonder if the syringe trick may work but unlikely as I can't see there's much air gap round the pusher seeing as it's seized.

Craftsman
    Not sure where you took it, but take it to a watch place, not a jewellers or anywhere like that.

Case needs an ultrasonic and a bit of silicon grease or some oil on the pushed depending on the type.
    Quick easy job.

Master
    The few pushers I've worked on (Seiko's) have a little circlip inside- I have used a bit of bluetack on the end of a small screwdriver to ease off the circlip- posh in out from the inside, silicon grease on the gasket and reverse the process
    Although that said thus could be totally different

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    The few pushers I've worked on (Seiko's) have a little circlip inside- I have used a bit of bluetack on the end of a small screwdriver to ease off the circlip- posh in out from the inside, silicon grease on the gasket and reverse the process
    Although that said thus could be totally different
    I was not 100% sure so hedged my bets with a more open answer, but if this has the movement I think it has then it will have a bent metal plate where the pusher from the case touches it, the bend in the metal acts as the spring and the pusher is just a stepped piece of metal rod so that it can only push in and won't fall out, so no spring or clip. But I am not 100% on this, I don't work on watches like this often.

Master
    Thanks gents. I just can't see it can have been difficult to free off, I guess they didn't pass my message on.

Odd that I can't find a pic of one online, normally google throws up loads of stuff.