closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Rolex at Schipol airport

Journeyman

Purchasing Rolex at Schipol airport

Hi all,

I am going over to Amsterdam in a few weeks, and have emailed the AD at the airport. They duty free price that they have quoted, is for the bet price but includes the VAT element. Therefore, there wouldn't be any VAT to pay on my return to the UK, saving a few hundred quid. I am always the sceptic, and am wary as it would be in there interest to tell me that, and I get stuck will a bill coming back through. I have been looking through here and it appears that buying at Heathrow when I go to the states later in the year, I have to declare it as I come back through.

Also, Gassan @ Schipol states in their email that they require a 20% deposit paid by Bank transfer. Again, I am a little bit wary of remitting £1300 to holland with no comeback, should the money be misplaced.
    Has anyone used this service before, and can give me a review to set my mind at ease?

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks
    LondonRolex19

Craftsman
    Hi buddy

I took a trip to gassan at the airport with the sole intention of watch purchasing. All good and save a bit of money - this was when the pound was strong.

You will have absolutely no issues in taking them back etc.

What watch was it your after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    There is a long thread about Schiphol Rolex - worth searching for. Lots of deals to be had before the pound tanked and before the EU rise.

If you are going through anyway and can save a few hundred quid on something you were going to buy anyway, then go for it. They are reputable dealers, so I wouldn't be too concerned about making a deposit
    Last edited by mtagrant; 5th February 2017 at 11:20.

This has been covered so many times.
    An item purchased in one EU country and directly imported to another EU country is never liable to VAT.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andybaird22 View Post
    Hi buddy

I took a trip to gassan at the airport with the sole intention of watch purchasing. All good and save a bit of money - this was when the pound was strong.

You will have absolutely no issues in taking them back etc.

What watch was it your after

Thanks for the message.

I am looking at a DJ2 with either a smooth or fluted bezel. I am sure I would be able to get one easily out there if I book in advance. I would also see what else they had to see if there was a bargain to be hand like a Daytona SS but I think I would be living in a dream world.

Thanks for your help, I also considering going on a day return so that I don't have to carry the cash with me out there for the weekend. But a young guy returning from a day trip to Dam would look very dodgy 😂

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    This has been covered so many times.
    An item purchased in one EU country and directly imported to another EU country is never liable to VAT.
    Thanks for the message.

I have seen arguments both ways on various forums for both sides. Also for the Heathrow duty, which dates back a few years.

Just wanted to make sure incase I got back and was whacked with a bill which would make it dearer than home!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonRolex19 View Post
    Thanks for the message.

I have seen arguments both ways on various forums for both sides. Also for the Heathrow duty, which dates back a few years.

Just wanted to make sure incase I got back and was whacked with a bill which would make it dearer than home!
    Definitely no vat payable upon returning to U.K. as you are not purchasing VAT free - just discounted. This is the case at least for the next two years and two months :)

I was going through Schiphol on a weekly basis for the past couple of months. The Rolex store always reminds me of an east European shop in the 90s, i.e. Lots of empty cabinets.

They do tend to have the djs and air kings as well as a few of the higher end stuff. I've only seen a sub once and sea dweller a couple of times.

You may get lucky and be there on the day of a delivery, but if you're making the journey just for the purchase sending the deposit makes sense.

Personally I wouldn't bother, the weakness of the pound and the cost of the journey makes the savings slim.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    I was going through Schiphol on a weekly basis for the past couple of months. The Rolex store always reminds me of an east European shop in the 90s, i.e. Lots of empty cabinets.

They do tend to have the djs and air kings as well as a few of the higher end stuff. I've only seen a sub once and sea dweller a couple of times.

You may get lucky and be there on the day of a delivery, but if you're making the journey just for the purchase sending the deposit makes sense.

Personally I wouldn't bother, the weakness of the pound and the cost of the journey makes the savings slim.
    When I went there were 2 hulks, subs and a deep sea blue (which I bought and sold for a £1000 profit to iconic watches within a few hours)

I was extremely lucky!

When I went there were 2 hulks, subs and a deep sea blue (which I bought and sold for a £1000 profit to iconic watches within a few hours)

I was extremely lucky!

Indeed, you must have hit a delivery day. They told me they hadn't had a steel Daytona and only one hulk this year, which sold within 10 minutes of putting out.

Craftsman
    If I remember correctly I went the last week of January 2016 (I may be wrong) and they told me they get a delivery in the last week of every month.

Got a hulk for £5000 and sold it to a member on here for the same. Pretty sure I could have got 6k for it

Journeyman
    Just to confirm, that Schipol discounts the watches within the EU. How comes T4 doesn't do the same? Or do they?

I am flying to Dam from Heathrow, if so it would be cheaper to get it at T4.

No. Schipol discounts the price to the value of vat, but vat is still paid= you do not have to pay vat in another EU country. Heathrow doesn't.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Just to confirm, that Schipol discounts the watches within the EU. How comes T4 doesn't do the same? Or do they?

I am flying to Dam from Heathrow, if so it would be cheaper to get it at T4.
    Schiphol only airport in Europe that does this for some reason

Master
    If I remember correctly I went the last week of January 2016 (I may be wrong) and they told me they get a delivery in the last week of every month.

Got a hulk for £5000 and sold it to a member on here for the same. Pretty sure I could have got 6k for it

Don't worry Andy it's being well looked after.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Don't worry Andy it's being well looked after.
    Buy it back off you for 5k hope your enjoying it buddy!! It's a great watch

Master

I was extremely lucky!

I think I remember you,posting about it at the time. You did well indeed.

From what I've read on here and other forums they aren't particularly knowledgeable on Rolex and literally just put them on display as they arrive. None of this waiting list stuff. You happen to arrive on the right day and your lucks in.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I think I remember you,posting about it at the time. You did well indeed.

From what I've read on here and other forums they aren't particularly knowledgeable on Rolex and literally just put them on display as they arrive. None of this waiting list stuff. You happen to arrive on the right day and your lucks in.

In my experience they were as knowledgeable as any other AD I've been at. They don't take deposits or have a waiting list, even refused full payment upfront for a Daytona.

Master
    I was there over Christmas. Unfortunatley, due to the 2016 GBP crash the Schipol bargains of yesteryear no longer exist, and Rolex are equally - if not more - expensive than purchasing in the UK.

Not so...
    I was there just before Christmas
    Explorer 39mm was just over £4.2
    Last edited by John Wall; 9th February 2017 at 18:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Not so...
    WOW, a grand more than in 2015, heck of a price rise

Journeyman
    Hi all,

Spent some time looking at the old Schipol threads. Seen that people have been able to get GMT BLNR if they are lucky. I know I'll 99.9% be shot down in flames but has anyone ever seen a SS Daytona there?

Also are Milguass relatively rare there?

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    But £600 saving on UK

Hi all,

Spent some time looking at the old Schipol threads. Seen that people have been able to get GMT BLNR if they are lucky. I know I'll 99.9% be shot down in flames but has anyone ever seen a SS Daytona there?

Whenever I went there was alway milgauss there in all colours. Never saw a SS Daytona though.

Hi all,

They had the milguass in white and the black face on Wednesday. A few seadwellers and a deep sea. They've had the bi metal Daytona in stock for a while. Prices are a couple of hundred cheaper than a U.K. Ad, not worth making a special trip for really.

Old thread I know. If anyone has a trip shortly they have had a delivery today. 8 Daytonas which all went in an hour. 6 hulks, but only 3 left (4 when I went in:))

Master
    I got an SS Daytona in 2015 for £6300 there!

Just been through, air king at approx £4K, deepsea Cameron on both sides at ~£8100 (€9500). Didn't have time to browse or buy sadly.

You missed the boat. Time to buy was Summer 2015 when you could get over 1.4 Euros for £1, and before the continental price rise

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Just been through, air king at approx £4K, deepsea Cameron on both sides at ~£8100 (€9500). Didn't have time to browse or buy sadly.
    Deepsea not bad price I guess!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Old thread I know. If anyone has a trip shortly they have had a delivery today. 8 Daytonas which all went in an hour. 6 hulks, but only 3 left (4 when I went in:))
    which Daytonas?? Surely not the new SS. If so 8 is amazing

He said they'd had four black and four white in the steel. They had only had one other steel Daytona this year and 2 or 3 lv subs (I've asked them about it pretty much weekly over the past 6 months). They had one blnr (now on my wrist). He said it was the biggest delivery they'd had for a while and he was surprised how many they got and didn't expect any more for quite some time "but we never know with Rolex"

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    You missed the boat. Time to buy was Summer 2015 when you could get over 1.4 Euros for £1, and before the continental price rise
    I know what you mean, but back then they weren't much cheaper than the greys, and besides, my current contract pays in Euro:)

I've had 2 Deepsea Camerons from there - they seem to get a lot of them for some reason

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to travel through Schipol regularly - indeed a few years ago it was superb price wise, though I was always skint when passing thru!!

I will be going through Schipol in about 1 hours time - fingers crossed for a ceramic Daytona or Red Seadweller (however I expect to be disappointed if T5 was anything to go by yesterday)

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Not so...
    This may be of interest. From my accounts package, following a visit to Gassans in Schipol.

RRP was then £4.3K (now £4.8K) but the £ was doing a lot, lot better against the €.
    Thanks Nigel. Not.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    This may be of interest. From my accounts package, following a visit to Gassans in Schipol.

RRP was then £4.3K (now £4.8K) but the £ was doing a lot, lot better against the €.
    Thanks Nigel. Not.
    I just picked up the explorer for full RRP yesterday. How i would loved to have paid what you paid

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A few years ago, I bought a date Submariner Ceramic, at a saving (then) of £800. Waited for the impending price rise, and sold it for £800 profit.

The buyer saved around £700-800 on the new UK price.

(I had all the Euros in cash due to accepting them for a bike sale)

Al

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

Thanks Nigel. Not.
    £3693.02 in 2014 at Gassan in Schipol, do I have that right?
    I only paid £3400 in 09/15 when RRP was £4300, good deal at the time £900 off UK list and £600 cheaper than Iconic at the time. Then again that was when a pound was a pound rather than the gender pay gap of 70p to the pound

He said it was the biggest delivery they'd had for a while and he was surprised how many they got and didn't expect any more for quite some time "but we never know with Rolex"
    How do you run a business not knowing ahead of time what stock you're going to get to sell?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    How do you run a business not knowing ahead of time what stock you're going to get to sell?
    With Rolex it's easy, you just place orders, customers place deposits or get added to wait lists and patiently wait until their turn and the money keeps rolling in. Besides which Gassan is a big AD for many mid to high end brands, so the rest fill in the gaps

Journeyman
    Slightly off subject but I work in both T5 and T4 as a contractor every 3 months and always stick my head in both stores just before they close. If the last 12 months is anything to go by T4 always seems to have a decent SS selection. T5 is terrible

No mention of magical / mythical lists yet?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

£3693.02 in 2014 at Gassan in Schipol, do I have that right?
    I only paid £3400 in 09/15 when RRP was £4300, good deal at the time £900 off UK list and £600 cheaper than Iconic at the time. Then again that was when a pound was a pound rather than the gender pay gap of 70p to the pound
    You clearly got a better deal than I did. I was pleased at the time to achieve the saving I did.

Feedback from Gassans today.

They received a delivery yesterday which included

SS Daytona (6)
    Gmt Batman and normal
    Sub 4 liners
    Sub dates
    Explorer 1 and 2s
    Milgauss
    Air kings
    Deep seas

Today

they had

one 4 liner (bought by me)
    one sub date
    one GMT (non batman)
    one explorer
    one explorer (black)
    one Milgauss (Blue)
    one Deepsea and one Airking (which actually is a bit of a bargain in my book).

the Daytonas were sold within one hour of arrival.

As I am known to guy in the shop I actually managed to get a discount on the Sub of 3% - so actually paid about £4850 for it.

Sorted

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    I'm passing through on Sunday. Will have a butchers :)

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Feedback from Gassans today.

They received a delivery yesterday which included

SS Daytona (6)
    Gmt Batman and normal
    Sub 4 liners
    Sub dates
    Explorer 1 and 2s
    Milgauss
    Air kings
    Deep seas

Today

they had

one 4 liner (bought by me)
    one sub date
    one GMT (non batman)
    one explorer
    one explorer (black)
    one Milgauss (Blue)
    one Deepsea and one Airking (which actually is a bit of a bargain in my book).

the Daytonas were sold within one hour of arrival.

As I am known to guy in the shop I actually managed to get a discount on the Sub of 3% - so actually paid about £4850 for it.

Sorted
    Nice mate

Was is deep blue or normal deep sea ?

Quote Originally Posted by alanski View Post
    Nice mate

Was is deep blue or normal deep sea ?

Hi Al, Normal i'm afraid. Shame it wasn't the new Red Seadweller.

They did have a white gold Pepsi (as did T5) about 28k euro. Nice though, and white/yellow gold Daytonas.

I was was thinking I should just get a White gold Daytona a pop it on a SS strap. No one would know the difference 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Hi Al, Normal i'm afraid. Shame it wasn't the new Red Seadweller.

They did have a white gold Pepsi (as did T5) about 28k euro. Nice though, and white/yellow gold Daytonas.

I was was thinking I should just get a White gold Daytona a pop it on a SS strap. No one would know the difference 
    Lol nutter :-)

Enjoy nd sub I've been wearing one for a month it's a great thing