I do hope the Italians win a game though - they kick well

I've a bad feeling about this.

Not this weekend necessarily but certainly the next game

At least Cuthbert hasn't been picked.

Master
    Blog Entries
    An inform England should do it

Master
    I'm looking forward to seeing if Scotland can start delivering on their promise.

I do fear for Wales a little though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

I do hope the Italians win a game though - they kick well
    Campagnaro hasn't had many first team games at Exeter, but when he does play he shows his class.
    The Italians will win a game soon enough, probably Wales or Scotland?

Master
    Looking forward to it, but, for the first time in many years I am expecting to miss some England games through being abroad, where I do not expect to get reception. Means I will see England today, and then the last game, and that is it (sob).

Scotland and particularly Ireland have enough players in form to have a good tournament, while England's injury list means several key players won't appear at all and a couple of others will be playing out of position.

The general consensus is that the title will come down to the last game, and Ireland have home advantage for that one. Bonus points may well decide the Championship.

Craftsman
    As much as it pains me to say, I don't think Wales will have a good Six Nations, but I would love to be proved wrong.

Master
    Can't wait for it. Ireland to win the championship in my view. Home advantage against England will make them difficult to beat there. I fancy Scotland to finish above Wales.

Master
    Scotland v Ireland should be a cracker today.
    Could go either way I think but fancy Ireland to edge it and go onto win the Championship

Master
    no grand slam winner and Ireland to win the championship for me

Journeyman
    Anyone interested in a TZ Fantasy league.

fantasy.rbs6nations.com
    Have setup a league number is 5346.

Must hurry though deadline to set teams is 14.00 today

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Disappointed with Howley's selection.

I can understand why he's gone conservative with England up next but JD2 has no form, North isn't setting the world alight.

There are in form (but new) options in the squad that might do better.

Halfpenny and Williams need to swap positions.

Biggar is solid but only plays one way, Sam Davies would bring some excitement and certainly less chance of him hoofing the ball as high as he can every other play.

But what do I know? I'm not paid hundreds of thousands to pick the team after all.

Hopefully they'll prove me wrong tomorrow

Best 6 weeks of the year :)

Absolutely staggered that Matt Scott has been released by the Scotch - most in form centre in the NH. Daly on the wing a surprise, given that Nowell is back (although Nowell isn't a winger either - he's more a winger than Daly) - would like to see Wade, guy is seriously dangerous and although can be an issue his job is to score tries and he does that for fun. Presume plan was to have Watson and May until Watson got injured.
    Last edited by Ashtennisguru; 4th February 2017 at 14:43.

I'm not happy that they've brought in bonus points, but ho hey.

^^^ I'm in favour - hoping it encourages teams to open up in the last quarter if they've scored 3 tries

Master
    And what a start to the games with Scotland v Ireland!! Very unexpected.

Shame Ireland didn't hang onto that hard-won lead.

Not sure what the bonus points are all about - smacks a bit like Bernie's F1 double points for last race win nonsense.....a bonus point to Ireland for losing, what's that all about!
    Last edited by Stanford; 4th February 2017 at 17:19.

Just overveven money

I took France with 12.5 start
    Never broke sweat

England looked poor but bucked up once new blood was on at the end

England were untidy (crap) while France played pretty solidly.
    Lucky win for England.

Winning ugly. But still winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Winning ugly. But still winning.

This ^^^^^^ Itoje will not play flanker again. Worse performance I have seen him have and we certainly needed the bench today.

England were lucky, but they took what chances they made, where as France blew a couple of there's.

Hopefully it will be a kick up the arse they need before next weeks game. Eddie J won't be best pleased.

As for Scotland, I actually thought they might turn over Ireland and called it on Friday when I heard Sexton was out. Really pleased for them to be honest - something I don't say very often

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Shame Ireland didn't hang onto that hard-won lead.

Not sure what the bonus points are all about - smacks a bit like Bernie's F1 double points for last race win nonsense.....a bonus point to Ireland for losing, what's that all about!
    It brings the 6 Nations in line with every other major rugby union competition.

As for the matches today, fantastic from Scotland, who one or two class players and today played like a fully committed team across the board, was a little worried for them once they had to start making subs, but they held on well. That was the most cohesive and on message France team I have seen, probably ever and they arguably deserved the win, but a dogged England side found a way (and that way was Danny Care, who sped the whole thing up from the breakdown and Ben Te'o who brought some straight running that we lack with a Ford Farrell 10/12 partnership) - longer term I think we'll see Farrell-Slade-Tuilagi at 10-12-13.
    Last edited by Ashtennisguru; 4th February 2017 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    It brings the 6 Nations in line with every other major rugby union competition.
    That doesn't mean it's a good idea - and anyway, it may not be retained for the 6 Nations.

Master
    Blog Entries
    England lads digged deep and found a way through. COYW

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well well well.

A fascinating Day 1 of Week 1.

Scotland win against all odds against the most consistent nation of recent years, Ireland. Great game.

Revitalised France should've rolled over a complacency riddled England side.

Wonder what Day 2 will bring.

Master
    For me it was a poor win for England (considering the hype), but they got the points which is what matters. More to the point, they certainly won't be resting on their laurels after that so I see it as a good thing.

I expect much more in the next game.

Master
    I actually thought that was a great win for England.
    Not playing great but finding a way to win-thats what good teams do
    There are 5 good teams in the championship this year and I can't see any grand slam coming out of that.
    The 6 nations is brutal these days but a fantastic competition.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There are 5 good teams in the championship this year and I can't see any grand slam coming out of that.
    The 6 nations is brutal these days but a fantastic competition.[/QUOTE]

I agree on this part and it shame England are the odd one out of the 6!! 😜😜😜😜

Scotland Vs France will be a battle especially given the size of France, but Hogg was proper class today.

England will have to be better to turn over Wales at home.

All warming up for a great championship.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I actually thought that was a great win for England.
    Not playing great but finding a way to win-thats what good teams do
    The 6 nations is brutal these days but a fantastic competition.
    I still see England having a chance at the GS as I think this result will be good for them

You can get 13/8 on it, whereas 4/9 for them to win the tournament which isn't worth it.

For any Leicester City fans you can get 5000/1 on Italy doing the slam

Journeyman
    Went with my daughter to the U20s 6 Nations England vs France at Sandy Park, Exeter. Great way to see good quality exciting international rugby from some stars of the future for a reasonable price (and you can actually get a ticket). Good atmosphere from 8,000 plus crowd, and they were showing the 2 full 6 Nations games on the screen afterwards. Recommended - I think there's 2 or 3 more matches around various rugby grounds in England over the 6 Nations period.

Another Scottish GS coming up? Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Scotland Vs France will be a battle especially given the size of France, but Hogg was proper class today.

England will have to be better to turn over Wales at home.

All warming up for a great championship.

I thought that Wales were immense today, and would have beaten most teams.

Just not England.

What a game...I'm going to need a stiff drink to calm my nerves!

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I thought that Wales were immense today, and would have beaten most teams.

Just not England.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Indeed
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Fantastic game!

Outstanding game- Wales were impressive, but England had the self belief they could win it.

Why do they keep on doing that

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great game today where Wales lost it. The better team certainly didn't win. Has England's system been worked out by others as once again they were by far the poorer side but given the size of their squad were able to pull it off.

Delighted to see Ireland back to their storming self. They will only get better here on in and their oppositions to come will do well to keep up with them.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game. France will be strong at home and Scotland will need to be good.

Fascibating 6 nations thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Great game today where Wales lost it. The better team certainly didn't win. Has England's system been worked out by others as once again they were by far the poorer side but given the size of their squad were able to pull it off.

Delighted to see Ireland back to their storming self. They will only get better here on in and their oppositions to come will do well to keep up with them.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game. France will be strong at home and Scotland will need to be good.

Always support Ireland when they're not playing England but he Italy game wasn't a true test IMO, Italy were never anywhere near being in the game. The closer game to judge on will be France I think.

The Scotland / France game should be good.

I think Wales were losing their strength in the last 10mins or so which was ultimately their undoing. England far from on top form but I think they still have a better than even chance of a grandslam again this year unless Ireland really do up their game...I wouldn't rule out an upset by Scotland but would still favour England.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Always support Ireland when they're not playing England but he Italy game wasn't a true test IMO, Italy were never anywhere near being in the game. The closer game to judge on will be France I think.

The Scotland / France game should be good.

I think Wales were losing their strength in the last 10mins or so which was ultimately their undoing. England far from on top form but I think they still have a better than even chance of a grandslam again this year unless Ireland really do up their game...I wouldn't rule out an upset by Scotland but would still favour England.
    Agree entirely Doug. The championship should always be England's to lose given the depth of players, facilities and backing they have compared to the other 5 in truth. Although I see England being unpicked by teams now and their new coach's tactics being undone. Ireland played well and I think cleared the cobwebs of being unlucky against the renewed Scots. They must be the team all the rest fear due to their unpredictability. On their day they can turn over most of the biggies if not all. There are certainly no fears with the current 6 nations' sides.

Yip. A good championship. C'mon ABE! 😜😜

Craftsman
    Wales played their hearts out. Pleased England won, like last week they left it late. Next weeks game against Italy should be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post

Ireland were only as good as Italy were poor. CoS has some serious work to do there, not so much in systems, but individual skills and also effort - I have never seen a team at any level fall off so many tackles and put in such a lacklustre effort. Italy have one or two standout players - if they 15 Parisse's they'd we well away, but they are not currently up to playing at this level.

Italy - Ireland: yes, Italy were poor but had a terrible first ten/fifteen minutes (particularly with the ref) & never recovered.

Wales - England: Wales will be wondering why they didn't kick for goal with either of those two penalties in the first half.
    ______

​Jim.

Thought Wales were excellent for around 60 minutes, with Ross Moriarty (Glaaaawster!) putting a particularly memorable performance for his 55m on the pitch. As with the France game, the match changed with the subs and the pace England brought off the bench brought a more dynamic attack, whilst I feel Wales lost something when Roberts came on.

Not a massive Nowell fan, but he did what was asked of him well enough, but I still can't see what opposition would be scared of seeing his name as a winger on the team sheet. Didn't really see much of Clifford and I suspect that The Brand will be back in that shirt next time out. Daly did well played out of position and would love to see him given a run at 13 or maybe even fullback (he has the skill set for it). Mauro seems to loose something at 6, but I did notice later on in the game that he and Lawes swapped positions in the scrum. Hughes did ok I felt, but was given the ball when very static all too often, which works okay with Billy V, but I feel that Hughes could go with a bit of momentum first - maybe look for him as second receiver rather than first off set plays or something like that to give him a bit more room - then I think we'd see how destructive he can be. Been quite impressed with Te'o in his 2 cameos, (not seen much of him at Prem level), but he looks to run intelligent lines and clearly likes a bit of contact too!

Agree with MoM that Launchbury was England's best player, but I think had Ross M played more than 55m it would (should?) have gone to him.

All that said, a great match, real intensity all round and thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

Blog Entries
    I'm not a rugger fan by any stretch, but, tuned into the last 30 mins and really enjoyed to thr point that I celebrated the try like an LCFC goal

Really entertaining... Wales fans must've ben gutted

Craftsman
    Italy are struggling unfortunately. Looks like other teams have strengthened. Tough tournament for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With Moriarty I'm not sure why you'd replace the best player on the pitch till that point.

Howley must have his reasons. God knows what they are though.

- - - Updated - - -

With Moriarty I'm not sure why you'd replace the best player on the pitch till that point.

Howley must have his reasons. God knows what they are though.