the earphone industry is a racket. A very big racket. A lot of frayed wires too—compared to other stereo hardware, most earphones have an absurdly short lifespan. Planned obsolescence is the business model here: thin wire insulation and Y-splitters break, solder joints fail, even drivers blow. Handle with care, use an umbrella, get lucky, and your earplugs might last nine months. Might. That’s why frugal audiophiles steer clear of pricy IEMs.

What can be said, without hesitation or doubt, is that the KZ-ATE sounds better than it has any right to. Whether the cost is $5 on eBay or $14 through Amazon Prime, this is the kind of impulse purchase anyone can live with. Old school audiophiles who smoke pipes and fetishize vinyl would call the earphones “musical.” Which means that it is, to quote Mr. NewWaveAudio, “sweet and buttery.” You won’t subject your ears to fatigue during long listening sessions, and all three frequency ranges (sub-bass is an urban myth) are distinct and well represented. If you enjoy a smooth, warm, evenly balanced sound that crosses over to multiple music genres with ease, these will do the trick.

None of the usual sonic flaws associated with cheap buds—sibilance, shrill highs, muffled bass, and the like—are evident. Granted, the low end could be a bit tighter. Also, the cable is gummy, prone to tangles, and has a hint of microphonics, but that’s just audiophile nitpicking. This headset isn’t about soundstage, presence and frequency extension. It’s about the democratization of hi-fi. Why should unpaid interns and Uber drivers have to listen to their Spotify playlists through pathetic OEM smart phone buds? Order a dozen units before the Chinese economy tanks and the cheap headphone market goes belly-up.
https://www.wired.com/2017/01/review...-fi-earphones/

So reading it, I bought a pair from amazon and... well I've ordered three others simply to use when the first pair wears out - I paid £11 per pair and they are fantastic for the price.

So if you are tight like me, take a punt.