closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Polywatch alternative

Master

Polywatch alternative

Ok so we all know a little trick to restore an acrylic watch glass
    Just got a 5h23 from my uncles estate and thought one of my girls might like a 'boyfriend' watch
    The acrylic was pretty scratched and although I had some polywatch it's pretty gentle so I reached under the sink and pulled out the Hob brite - we use it to clean our ceramic cob and it a Pound from wilcos
    Absolutely brilliant - a couple of minutes with that and a final once over with the polywatch and it looks fab
    Could probably do with a quick rub with brasso to finish
    http://www.wilko.com/kitchen-cleanin...l/invt/0418129

Toothpaste will do it also.Smells minty as well. Good job by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Toothpaste will do it also.Smells minty as well. Good job by the way.
    Fights plaque too!

Grand Master
    Here's my method:

Wet and dry paper wrapped around a rubber block (pencil eraser) is the way to really sort out acrylic crystals. 1500 grit to take the rough stuff out (used wet), 3000 grit to polish up, followed by autosol metal polish on a cloth, finally followed by polywatch.

This works and it takes deep damage out. Using a block has a levelling effect, that's important. OK, there are alternatives, but it's worth getting the materials together to do it this way because it'll transform a scratched old crystal ropey old crystal into something that looks new. A word of warning, it'll look worse before it looks better!

Takes me around 20 minutes to do a good job if there's deep scratching to remove. Bfore starting it pays to look carefully through a strong magnifier for cracks, I learned this lesson the hard way. Spending time refinishing a crystal only to find it's cracked is not wise.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 3rd February 2017 at 23:24.

Master

Interesting options.

I used rubbing compound for car bodywork they sell in Halfords (big yellow tube of paste), it brings up a plastic crystal in no time at all.

I have used the proper plastic polish but it's very fine, good for a final finish but if you've got a really tired crystal that rubbing compound is a good start.

Craftsman
    Just use Braso or Arm& Hammer toothpaste with baking soda .! Clean and polish with a leather pad .
    Take 5 mins or less

I used several times, Commandant Car cleaner for withered car paint and a Dremel (kind of). The trick is keep it wet and don't stay long in the same place. I use the same stuff for polishing stainless steel! Only deep scratches need a very fine sandpaper...

Grand Master
    Forget Dremels, I have one in the garage and it never gets used on watch jobs. Too fast, too localised, too much risk of doing more harm than good. I never touch an acrylic crystal with a Dremel or polisher, my tried and tested procedure takes 20 minutes and does a better job with no risk.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 11th March 2017 at 14:52.

The dremel will inevitably create grooves or ruts in the plexiglas, you may not see them but you will feel them.
    I use a Garryflex block laid on the bench with the wet/dry paper tucked under between block and bench.

Hold the watch case and move the plexiglas along the fixed block, rotating the case regularly to ensure that pressure is equal all round.

Rinse the wet/dry paper frequently in water with a little washing up liquid, which helps reduce heat build up.

Journeyman
    Ive just regular toothpaste some times, but it hasn't been as effective as polywatch but works relatively ok.

Thanks for the tips didn't know about the toothpaste one

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app