closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cleaning your watch

Cleaning your watch

Guys I want your views on this please. I have a nice collection of watches with most being divers. Considering getting myself an ultrasonic cleaner. 2 questions. Firstly are they any good and secondly do you clean the case as well as the bracelet or just the bracelet in it (with the obvious caveat of not doing it with a non waterproof watch or with the crown left unscrewed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm, ultrasonics are good but are you suggesting that you plan on cleaning a watch with the movement and everything inside ?

A good thorough cleaning means you remove the stem + crown, the movement, and then do the cleaning of the watch itself. You don't necessarily have to service the movement I guess but I wouldn't keep it inside if I used an ultrasonic. Maybe it's just me.

Master
    I take my AP into the boutique in Singapore every now and then - they give it a free ultrasonic clean! They always leave the movement in and I believe they know a thing or two about watches ;)

I use a cheap ultrasonic cleaner for the bracelet only. Some warm soapy water does the trick. After this, I then use Cape Cod metal cleaning spray for a final wipe down and round the case etc...but avoid the crystal.

If it needs a polish/refinish I do this with the CC cloth or an ultrafine pad for a brushed finish.

A guy I work with me put his Tag into our ultrasonic a few years ago and the hands came off ...I dread to think what it did to the movement!!

Today I have polished and brushed my Oris Regulateur bracelet and gave it a few minutes in the same ultrasonic ... nice seeing the little clouds of muck coming off it :)

I wouldn't bother personally if I didn't have one in work, soap and a soft toothbrush is the way ..... as pointed out above

Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    A guy I work with me put his Tag into our ultrasonic a few years ago and the hands came off ...I dread to think what it did to the movement!!

Today I have polished and brushed my Oris Regulateur bracelet and gave it a few minutes in the same ultrasonic ... nice seeing the little clouds of muck coming off it :)

I wouldn't bother personally if I didn't have one in work, soap and a soft toothbrush is the way ..... as pointed out above
    The hands came off? As far as I know it's not a physical clean how did that happen? To be clear I'm talking about taking the watch off my wrist and putting it straight into an ultrasonic cleaner. I'm not talking about cleaning the movement just the case in particular to get grits out of under bezels/end links etc.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    IMHO I would not waste my money on an ultrasonic cleaner. I always clean my sub and seamaster by wetting them first, lathering up some "simple soap" and then working it in the watches by hand, next I get a soft tooth brush and work the soap into the bristles and then use the brush to clean the entire watch, paying particular attention to the bracelet. Then rinse watches in tepid water and polish off with a mico fibre cloth. The results are amazing, trust me.
    Sounds a lot like hard work especially the bracelet. I can't see me doing that for all 20 watches I have. That would be 200 individual bracelet links alone lol. I have hand cleaned my omega PO but found the process quite tedious although I agree the results were good

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    The hands came off? As far as I know it's not a physical clean how did that happen? To be clear I'm talking about taking the watch off my wrist and putting it straight into an ultrasonic cleaner. I'm not talking about cleaning the movement just the case in particular to get grits out of under bezels/end links etc.
    I guess the vibration of the cleaner unit.

Sounds a lot like hard work especially the bracelet. I can't see me doing that for all 20 watches I have. That would be 200 individual bracelet links alone lol. I have hand cleaned my omega PO but found the process quite tedious although I agree the results were good

Try this mate

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3912395475...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks interesting product. Not sur I'm convinced it would get into all the little hard to reach areas but I think I'll buy a tin and see how it goes

Looks interesting product. Not sur I'm convinced it would get into all the little hard to reach areas but I think I'll buy a tin and see how it goes

I use it as cleaner on its own or after a good going over in the US cleaner or tooth brush clean. It is also handy for refinishing brushed finishes with a ultrafine scotch pad, used as a lube.

Master

First world problem, 20 watches!

Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    First world problem, 20 watches!
    Feels third world to me lol. Culled from 45 this time last year lol. There's still 3 I feel I can sell without too many tears. Plus a Sinn that just won't sell for some reason (sad face). Target for 2017 is to get to 14. There may be trouble ahead!!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Toothbrush and handsoap or baby shampoo on new watches. Give em a scrub.
    Zeiss lens wipes on the case and toothbrush treatment on bracelet on vintage ones.
    Job done.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seeing what the ultrasonic bath i have at work does to the aluminium test strips that we put in it, there's no way i'd risk putting my watch through a cycle

Just wear my divers in the shower. They always come out great, and just give them a quick dry with a soft cloth. Simples

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner from Aldi years ago, but don't really use it. However, soap with an old toothbrush and water works really well, thus rendering the ultrasonic cleaner unnecessary.

I've placed SS bracelets in a dish topped up with drain cleaner and had great results as it literally dissolves any organic muck. Particularly useful when I've bought a used watch from some dirty filthbag who had questionable hygiene.

Master
    I don't think you can beat going in the shower with them washing with shower gel, then using a hairdryer to dry leaving smudge free and shiny 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I don't think you can beat going in the shower with them washing with shower gel, then using a hairdryer to dry leaving smudge free and shiny
    The assisted shower works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Seeing what the ultrasonic bath i have at work does to the aluminium test strips that we put in it, there's no way i'd risk putting my watch through a cycle
    Can you elaborate. Aluminium very different from titanium and steel but interested to hear what happened. I borrowed one and stuck a cheap citizen eco drive through it and it came out spotless I must say

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Just wear my divers in the shower. They always come out great, and just give them a quick dry with a soft cloth. Simples
    Yeah I got a bit of a leather fetish on my watches , shower not so good . Desk diving rather than scuba isn't forte

Craftsman
    I just use an old toothbrush and liquid soap. Simple, cheap, and efficient. I hate dirty watches and make sure mine are always clean.