closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Breitling Service experience...

Journeyman

My Breitling Service experience...

Hello all,

Thought it might be of interest to document my first experience with Breitling and their service/overhaul and repair process.

My first foray into watches beyond some classic Casio digitals as a kid was this Breitling Colt, bought new from my local AD in 2005. I loved the classic look of the Colt, that off-white colour and simple design has always looked great, perhaps understated by some of today’s Breitlings – and some might say small at just 38mm!

Over the years it performed almost faultlessly – I returned it to Breitling in 2006 for timekeeping issues, but aside from that it performed brilliantly, and it practically never left my wrist for the next decade. However, I had noticed that the crown was increasingly difficult to engage, despite adopting the ‘backwards, catch it, forwards routine’ sealing the watch became more difficult. After a while I left the crown out and obviously avoided water at all costs. Over the final few months it became a little harder to wind, and seemed noisier if that makes sense, you could also feel the weight of the workings sloshing around much more than usual. Not wanting to damage anything I mothballed it, intending to service it but then ‘accidentally’ buying a Sinn UX last summer, which if you read my other thread is another tale of utter woe!

So, with my UX on the way back to Frankfurt, what better time to send the Colt back to Breitling..! I got the receipt letter today and the estimate should be out in a few days. I took a few pics which I will try and post later, will be interesting to see the before and after shots.

So, any bets on pricing?!!

Best guess is £415 for the overhaul, new crown and inner case (maybe, probably as there’s no tube in the Aeromarine models AIUI) plus 20% contingency - £850..?

Back to my trusty Sunnto Core at the moment, more accurate, more functional and 1/10th the cost – I must be nuts 

My colt gmt is currently with them for service. About the same age as yours, I dropped it whilst on holiday and seemed to have damaged the crown and stem. The watch was still keeping excellent time but I decided to get it serviced. IIRC the price is around the £800 mark due to the damage and a new crystal. I'm expecting the call for payment sometime this month if the 8 week estimate is correct. Looking forward to its return!

My SuperOcean Steelfish from 2005 is losing quite a bit of time so needs to go in for a service.

I have avoided it as they replace the original seconds hand from the square at the end of the second hands to an one with an arrow from later models. The stipulation will be to keep he original hands at all costs.

It will go in soon and I will have to make do with my Rolex BLNR. I know it sounds crazy but it does not match the SuperOcean to me.

Master
    Fell out of love with the brand when I sent in my Titanium Avenger Seawolf for a replacement case and they refused point blank to return the old one to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
    My SuperOcean Steelfish from 2005 is losing quite a bit of time so needs to go in for a service.

I have avoided it as they replace the original seconds hand from the square at the end of the second hands to an one with an arrow from later models. The stipulation will be to keep he original hands at all costs.

It will go in soon and I will have to make do with my Rolex BLNR. I know it sounds crazy but it does not match the SuperOcean to me.

I asked them to change my hands on a like-for-like basis with my 38mm colt. They tried, but had none of the original seconds hands left (so they said), and replaced the red square one (as above) for a red circle one. I was happy with it.

Journeyman
    Here it is...

Bracelet after 10 years!

and;

and purely 'just because'; here's the UX prior to shipping back to Sinn :(

Journeyman

Nice watch!

Interesting point re the second hand - mine is similar, wonder if they'll want to swap it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroblack350 View Post
    Nice watch!

Interesting point re the second hand - mine is similar, wonder if they'll want to swap it?
    It gets swapped as far as I know, there was are post on watchuseek about it that I read a few years ago. I have been told there is a stock of the correct seconds hand but you have to ask for it.

My big problem is that I have just started wearing it again and realised I prefer it more than my BLNR and DaytonaC so don't really want to send it in right now!

Grand Master
    No reason to swap the seconds hand, it's crazy. The only reason to replace it is if it becomes damaged whilst being removed. Sometimes (v. rarely) the centre of a seconds hand can pull out if it sticks fast, but this can usually be avoided if best practice is followed whilst removing. The philosophy seems to be to replace hands as a matter of course, whether damaged or not.........which is totally wrong IMO. Chrono centre seconds hands are the worst, the pinion is slightly tapered and manufacturers fit them tightly.

The only reason I won't service Breitlings is the lack of availability of parts. Movements aren't a problem, it's the hands and crowns that are the problem.

Swiss watches are becoming 'big boys toys' thesedays, you choose to own them and you sign on to the service costs.......... and they won't let you choose to keep the original hands on your watch!

Paul

Journeyman
    I'd find it so annoying if they'd do that to my Seawolf. Square tip on second hand is part of the character and it emulates the symbol used by the navy to identify enemy ships on a radar and electronic map. An arrow tip has no meaning. I'd also ask to keep the original hand if they can't supply the same model.

Blog Entries
    Not sure what your point is OP? Their service costs are transparent and stated on their website so no guessing required.

The cost of service should be factored into the TCO of a watch - they will require maintenance, especially when something is malfunctioning such as the crown not screwing down or winding failure. I'm not sure why you left it so long to be fixed?

Sorry to be critical but I wouldn't have let it get to that state, but that's me. It may have saved some cost by fixing earlier than later.

Nice looking watch!! I guess your watch will come back looking like new, far cheaper than a brand new one.

Martyn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The philosophy seems to be to replace hands as a matter of course, whether damaged or not.........which is totally wrong IMO.
    That's certainly BUK's position - they say hands are press-fit and get replaced at (overhaul, not maintenance) service. As others are saying, esp/y irritating if they haven't actually got the right replacement hands...

Master
    They won't. I asked for the hands to not be replaced on my Airwolf when I've sent it in for the service a couple of months ago and was told that they get damaged when removed, so the only option is to replace them with new ones.

Master
    With respect, your thread title is a little misleading as you haven't had your service experience yet. But will keep a keen eye for your update when you receive your watch back from Breitling UK. It's alway good to hear owners experiences of servicing quality, costs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    They won't. I asked for the hands to not be replaced on my Airwolf when I've sent it in for the service a couple of months ago and was told that they get damaged when removed, so the only option is to replace them with new ones.
    Kind of makes you wonder whose watch it actually is, doesn't it?

I don't think I'd send either of mine to Breitling...

M.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Rolex service centre seem to have no problem keeping their watches original and when items are replaced sending them back to the owner.

My SO may go to an independent if I get no guarantee from BSC. I have watched that hand going round for around und 12 years. It is staying.

When I took my colt in for a service I was quoted £550 for the pleasure. I got it cheaper due a friend working at an AD. It came back perfect.

However...My Chronomat went in for repair at 8 months old and came back scratched to hell, I wasnt impressed at all. I kicked up a fair bit with them in October when I got it back.

Guess where it is now...yip back at Breitling UK for further warranty work due to a dodgy date wheel. Currently not too impressed with them, twice in 4 months its been there and I will be without it 3 months out the 12 of ownership.

I will also update you on this.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
    When I took my colt in for a service I was quoted £550 for the pleasure. I got it cheaper due a friend working at an AD. It came back perfect.

However...My Chronomat went in for repair at 8 months old and came back scratched to hell, I wasnt impressed at all. I kicked up a fair bit with them in October when I got it back.

Guess where it is now...yip back at Breitling UK for further warranty work due to a dodgy date wheel. Currently not too impressed with them, twice in 4 months its been there and I will be without it 3 months out the 12 of ownership.

I will also update you on this.
    What did they do about the scratches, I assume they polished it no charge?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Kind of makes you wonder whose watch it actually is, doesn't it?

I don't think I'd send either of mine to Breitling...

M.
    You can always send it to an independent I guess. I just sent mine to Breitling because I bought it preowned with no box or papers and I wanted to make sure it had no dodgy history

Quote Originally Posted by IMMY77 View Post
    What did they do about the scratches, I assume they polished it no charge?
    Ahh well. Me and the AD both agreed it wasn't acceptable and the pictures they tools were not great to be honest. They told me to take the watch and they would contact breitling about the polish/refinish to which they came back with a quoted time of 12-16 weeks due to work load and festive period was taken into account. I told them I would wait till Jan to hand it in to see if the time could be reduced after the festive period. But it ended up back there anyway with another issue regarding the date wheel.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Journeyman

The quote is in..!

Well, the quote is back...

All in all it looks like £1600 including VAT, which sounds a bit nuts to me!

The essential work is coming in at around £900 - the crown is obviously stripped, but thankfully the inner case seems ok. What's not ok is the;

1. Train wheel bridge - £41.12
    2. Automatic device framework - £69.17
    3. Timed annular balance - £225.55 - ouch!

So, although I have no idea what these things are, that didn't seem too bad to get the watch back to good mechanical condition.

Non essential work includes:

Exchange of bezel - 537.71 (wow!) Apparently 'existing has ink missing' (not sure what this means, didn't realise it had any ink??)
    Exchange of clasp - 56.48 (not too bad) there is some play in it, so I'm glad they've noted this - occasionally the clasp would pop open.

Thoughts at the moment are to have everything done aside from the bezel - it seems massively expensive, and I'm not even sure I'm fully aware of the 'ink' issue. That would come in at £950 there or there about. or, about what I paid for in it 2005 :)

Thoughts anyone, am I nuts? I presume there's no negotiation here either!

I do love the watch, and it would be great to have it back in fine fettle

I have had two major "service - repairs" to my Aerospace.

The first included complete movement renewal (to new superquartz caliber) - the second for battery renewal, bezel repair and general refurb.

On each occasion - It was like pulling teeth, trying to elicit a Breitling-headed service report for the works carried out.

They still don't see the relevance of this document - as part of the QA to the customer.

I doubt if I would use them again.

Master

The essential work is coming in at around £900 - the crown is obviously stripped, but thankfully the inner case seems ok. What's not ok is the;

So, although I have no idea what these things are, that didn't seem too bad to get the watch back to good mechanical condition.

Exchange of bezel - 537.71 (wow!) Apparently 'existing has ink missing' (not sure what this means, didn't realise it had any ink??)
    Exchange of clasp - 56.48 (not too bad) there is some play in it, so I'm glad they've noted this - occasionally the clasp would pop open.

Thoughts at the moment are to have everything done aside from the bezel - it seems massively expensive, and I'm not even sure I'm fully aware of the 'ink' issue. That would come in at £950 there or there about. or, about what I paid for in it 2005 :)

I had my Colt refreshed at BUK a couple of years back. The estimate came in at around £1300.00 inc vat. Like yours it had essential work and non essential. Ironically the non essential was exactly the same: inking missing from the bezel and new bracelet as the security tab on the clasp was prone to popping open on its own due to wear.

I told them to do the essential work and forget the rest. What came back looked like brand new. The "missing ink" had gone, presumably it was just obscured by crud, or they replaced / re-inked it. They had managed to repair the dodgy security clasp.

I was very very impressed.

Master
    Ha ha. Seems like unnecessary bezel exchanges are the norm. I was quoted £230 to exchange it because it 'had non-original Breitling ink' (one of the previous owners filled in the numerals on the bezel with blue ink - I hadn't even noticed that they weren't supposed to be blue until I got the watch back and 'something looked different'). Of course I told them no, and what do you know, they removed the ink anyway.
    Last edited by asteclaru; 12th February 2017 at 08:38.

Craftsman

I suspect that this is becoming an industry standard, It was the same for my panerai 025 "Service sir no problem let's see if we can double it to £1300 with items you haven't asked for or really need". when i mentioned it was based on a workhorse 7750 sir was mistaken it is a Panerai OP111 lovingly crafted by Swiss Pixies".

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I had my Colt refreshed at BUK a couple of years back. The estimate came in at around £1300.00 inc vat. Like yours it had essential work and non essential. Ironically the non essential was exactly the same: inking missing from the bezel and new bracelet as the security tab on the clasp was prone to popping open on its own due to wear.

I told them to do the essential work and forget the rest. What came back looked like brand new. The "missing ink" had gone, presumably it was just obscured by crud, or they replaced / re-inked it. They had managed to repair the dodgy security clasp.

I was very very impressed.
    Interesting, thanks :)

Quick update, asked Breitling to do everything aside from the bezel replacement this morning. Will update in 8 weeks

Journeyman
    Actually just one question, if anyone knows the answer - what's the bezel ink? As far as I remember, mine has never had any ink on it at all, the numbers are etched as is - just like the other Colt posted on here.

Sorry if that's a dumb question, just imagining it coming back with dodgy blue ink filling the numbers and markers..!

I will add to this if I may.

As per my previous post, my chronomat was returned to them via an AD. The AD advised that they would be stepping in to ensure it was perfect, however..a quiet word in my ear from a friend suggested that the AD's involvement is sometimes not taken serious and advised to email them. So I did.

I got a very positive response from the customer service manager ensuring me that the watch would undergo a full refinish/polish and subject to QC checks prior to its return, they have also pushed it forward so it is going to be 3-4 weeks as opposed to 6-8 weeks.
    So, we will see how it returns. But a strongly worded email expressing disappointment certainly appears to have worked so far. Fingers crossed.

Journeyman
    I purchased a chronomat, and remember reading in the booklet, that it needs to be tested for water resistance every year or maybe two, for the warranty to remain active for the 5 years. Do you guys have it tested and how to do you go about it? Ta.

Interesting thread; I have a 1998 Colt SuperOcean that I thought I might get tidied up and start wearing again. Cost me £600 back in the day at Zurich airport during a sale.

My quote? Just over £1800.

Its coming back to me and can live out its life in a drawer instead. Shame.

I will add to this if I may.

As per my previous post, my chronomat was returned to them via an AD. The AD advised that they would be stepping in to ensure it was perfect, however..a quiet word in my ear from a friend suggested that the AD's involvement is sometimes not taken serious and advised to email them. So I did.

I got a very positive response from the customer service manager ensuring me that the watch would undergo a full refinish/polish and subject to QC checks prior to its return, they have also pushed it forward so it is going to be 3-4 weeks as opposed to 6-8 weeks.
    So, we will see how it returns. But a strongly worded email expressing disappointment certainly appears to have worked so far. Fingers crossed.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there is significant additional cost, but who knows?

They used to look after owners, but have become a bit mercenary now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY77 View Post
    I purchased a chronomat, and remember reading in the booklet, that it needs to be tested for water resistance every year or maybe two, for the warranty to remain active for the 5 years. Do you guys have it tested and how to do you go about it? Ta.
    It's every two years, and you can either send it back to Breitling yourself or via an AD, I'm in the same boat with my B01 Chronomat due to go back for its maintenance service this summer, but I haven't decided if I'm going to bother yet.

Three reasons

(1) the few week wait

(2) the risk of it getting lost

(3) the risk of it getting damaged

I've heard of horror stories of all three happening, my Watch performs flawlessly and I don't plan on ever selling, certainty whilst it's still in it's warranty period, so not worried about the selling advantages of passing the warranty over to the next man!

May sound daft, would be interested to hear what others think?

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    According to manual, should be a few minutes job if you can find an AD with the facilities. No mention that it is a requirement of the warranty conditions.

Hope that helps:

The movement of your chronometer is protected by a complex case fitted withgaskets to ensure its water-resistance. Under the influence of various externalagents – perspiration, chlorinated or salt water, cosmetics, fragrances or dust– these gaskets gradually deteriorate. That is why water-resistance cannot bepermanently guaranteed. If used intensively in water, we recommend havingannual water-resistance check conducted. Whatever the case, such an appraisalwill be done every two years. This operation, which takes only a few minutes, maybe conducted by a Breitling authorized maintenance center, or by an authorizedretailer (www.Breitling.com).
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th February 2017 at 09:04.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Interesting thread; I have a 1998 Colt SuperOcean that I thought I might get tidied up and start wearing again. Cost me £600 back in the day at Zurich airport during a sale.

My quote? Just over £1800.

Its coming back to me and can live out its life in a drawer instead. Shame.

Coming from a Rolex perspective,I am shocked by some of these costs. Service costs are part of the luxury watch deal, but there are costs and taking the p**s. Is there an independent that deals with Breitling? It looks like they aren't a brand that Genesis repairs.

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    According to manual, should be a few minutes job if you can find an AD with the facilities. No mention that it is a requirement of the warranty conditions.

Hope that helps:

The movement of your chronometer is protected by a complex case fitted withgaskets to ensure its water-resistance. Under the influence of various externalagents – perspiration, chlorinated or salt water, cosmetics, fragrances or dust– these gaskets gradually deteriorate. That is why water-resistance cannot bepermanently guaranteed. If used intensively in water, we recommend havingannual water-resistance check conducted. Whatever the case, such an appraisalwill be done every two years. This operation, which takes only a few minutes, maybe conducted by a Breitling authorized maintenance center, or by an authorizedretailer (www.Breitling.com).
    Martyn, I phoned Breitling only yesterday on this matter, and they said it needs to go back to them and not an AD, they also said it needs to go in for it's maintenance service to uphold the remainder of the warranty.

Matt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Martyn, I phoned Breitling only yesterday on this matter, and they said it needs to go back to them and not an AD, they also said it needs to go in for it's maintenance service to uphold the remainder of the warranty.

Matt

Thanks Matt.

I've just checked the wording of my Breitling International Warranty.

"Your Breitling watch or chronograph....is guaranteed against manufacturing defect ... ...the five year warranty on mechanical Manufacture Breitling movement is granted on condition that water-resistance tests are performed every two years following the date of purchase by an authorised Breitling service center. These tests are conducted free of charge."

Hope that helps - no mention of a service required to maintain the 5 year guarantee.

I would question their response - since a maintenance service is only warrantied for 12months.

But they do need to update their user manuals and website to state it needs to go back to a service center for the wr test - as both of these source say that wr test can be done at an approved retailer in a few minutes.

All the best

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th February 2017 at 10:56.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Coming from a Rolex perspective,I am shocked by some of these costs. Service costs are part of the luxury watch deal, but there are costs and taking the p**s. Is there an independent that deals with Breitling? It looks like they aren't a brand that Genesis repairs.

Dave

Realising I may get utterly burned by this statement in 8 weeks time, I don't think they're *that* bad.

I think there's a difference between Service Costs, and 'Put it back to factory fresh' costs. In my case, the £571 bezel replacement falls into that category - nothing wrong with it, but as an option I can get the piece as close to New Watch Day as possible :) (not for me BTW, far too costly!)

I remember having an email exchange with the Ryte Time chap last year I think, his issue was parts supply. But then, if you look solely at the Maintenance Service costs, Breitling aren't that bad - replacement parts however seem to be rather pricey!

Master
    Thanks Matt.

I've just checked the wording of my Breitling International Warranty.

"Your Breitling watch or chronograph....is guaranteed against manufacturing defect ... ...the five year warranty on mechanical Manufacture Breitling movement is granted on condition that water-resistance tests are performed every two years following the date of purchase by an authorised Breitling service center. These tests are conducted free of charge."

Hope that helps - no mention of a service required to maintain the 5 year guarantee.

I would question their response - since a maintenance service is only warrantied for 12months.
    Cheers for the info Martyn, I think what they class as a maintenance service is just checking the Watch is still watertight then?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there is significant additional cost, but who knows?

They used to look after owners, but have become a bit mercenary now.
    This is warranty mate in my case.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Cheers for the info Martyn, I think what they class as a maintenance service is just checking the Watch is still watertight then?

According to the warranty - a wr test is free of charge (written into the warranty doc - I don't see how they can work around that one'

from their website:

Breitling authorized service centers offer two types of service. The frequency of these services may varydepending on the conditions of use.

1. Maintenance service (every 2 years)
    Mechanical and quartz watches

This service includes: cleaning of the case and metal bracelet, changing all seals, checking water resistance,checking movement parameters and watch functions. Changing the battery for quartz watches.

They charge £220 for a Chronograph for that 'service' and if you refuse an estimate it's £21 for the privilege....

Realising I may get utterly burned by this statement in 8 weeks time, I don't think they're *that* bad.

I think there's a difference between Service Costs, and 'Put it back to factory fresh' costs. In my case, the £571 bezel replacement falls into that category - nothing wrong with it, but as an option I can get the piece as close to New Watch Day as possible :) (not for me BTW, far too costly!)

I remember having an email exchange with the Ryte Time chap last year I think, his issue was parts supply. But then, if you look solely at the Maintenance Service costs, Breitling aren't that bad - replacement parts however seem to be rather pricey!

Not to big up Rolex, but the £450 cost does include refinishing if required. Parts clearly are extra, but yikes that bezel cost. My inset, obviously just this and not the whole bezel was about £35 plus vat

Dave

Journeyman
    According to the warranty - a wr test is free of charge (written into the warranty doc - I don't see how they can work around that one'

from their website:

Breitling authorized service centers offer two types of service. The frequency of these services may varydepending on the conditions of use.

1. Maintenance service (every 2 years)
    Mechanical and quartz watches

This service includes: cleaning of the case and metal bracelet, changing all seals, checking water resistance,checking movement parameters and watch functions. Changing the battery for quartz watches.

They charge £220 for a Chronograph for that 'service' and if you refuse an estimate it's £21 for the privilege....
    So I'm guessing if you don't have a maintenance service, but have wr test, the 5 year warranty still stands?

Master
    I think I would take my Watch into an AD for the pressure test to be done, or even at a push have a run down to Tunbridge Wells, but I don't think I will be posting my Watch off for a pressure test even if it does cut my warranty short by three years, it would be different if my Watch was running bad and it was in need of a service obviously!

Thanks for sharing. Personally I sold both of my Bs due to the unreasonably high service costs here in Greece. More expensive than Rolex, at least here a few years ago. Don't know if they have changed their politics recently.

I think I would take my Watch into an AD for the pressure test to be done, or even at a push have a run down to Tunbridge Wells, but I don't think I will be posting my Watch off for a pressure test even if it does cut my warranty short by three years, it would be different if my Watch was running bad and it was in need of a service obviously!

I would be maintaining it as much as possible, its their way of getting out of any potential warranty claim. I wouldnt post it, AD to take it on-board is my choice.

Master
    I would be maintaining it as much as possible, its their way of getting out of any potential warranty claim. I wouldnt post it, AD to take it on-board is my choice.
    The AD where I purchased my Breitling are no longer an AD for the brand ( Leonard Dews ) but I suppose any current Breitling AD would maybe offer the service, I would feel a bit cheeky though having not purchased it from them lol

The AD where I purchased my Breitling are no longer an AD for the brand ( Leonard Dews ) but I suppose any current Breitling AD would maybe offer the service, I would feel a bit cheeky though having not purchased it from them lol

Nah....I bought mine from BanksLyon Lancaster, which isn't exactly handy for me! I use 1 AD in Glasgow who are happy to handle warranty claims and WR tests.

Master
    Nah....I bought mine from BanksLyon Lancaster, which isn't exactly handy for me! I use 1 AD in Glasgow who are happy to handle warranty claims and WR tests.
    Banks Lyon would be my choice of AD to ask, as I've purchased Watches from them in the past, it would be great if there's was a Breitling accredited AD that could carry out the WR test, but according to Breitling themselves only yesterday it has to go back to them!

Banks Lyon would be my choice of AD to ask, as I've purchased Watches from them in the past, it would be great if there's was a Breitling accredited AD that could carry out the WR test, but according to Breitling themselves only yesterday it has to go back to them!

Yip...it has to go back to them mate for that, I actually thought it would be a local service but unfortunately, No.

Master
    Yip...it has to go back to them mate for that, I actually thought it would be a local service but unfortunately, No.
    The joys! :)