closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jlc reverso, engraving, size????

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Jlc reverso, engraving, size????

Flying against my "no more watches this year" stance of January, I find myself looking at JLC Reverso for a dress watch now my wife seems to be attempting custody of my Datejust.

I really like the design, Art Deco beauty!

I've seen one on EBay, it's engraved on the flat side so i will probably want that removing.

It's priced at £1550 or offers. It seems a cheap way into a reverso howeve it might be a minefield too?

And who on here has one the same size/model? How does it wear?? Anybody in/around Manchester/Cheshire/west yorks who has one that I could try on???

Link to the sale

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142260995401

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think with the engraving and being a quartz model with no box or papers, it's about it's money for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I think with the engraving and being a quartz model with no box or papers, it's about it's money for me.
    Was thinking of offering him a grand and taking it from there, with a view to buying at around £1250. How would you place that??

Just change your name to Frank.

Quartz wouldn't put me off, but a midsize JLC might be lost on your wrist, unless you have taken the slimming to extremes.

Its far to hard to price for me, and I'd always feel it was an expensive old quartz, being without box/papers service history etc.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Just change your name to Frank.

Quartz wouldn't put me off, but a midsize JLC might be lost on your wrist, unless you have taken the slimming to extremes.

Its far to hard to price for me, and I'd always feel it was an expensive old quartz, being without box/papers service history etc.
    To be Frank, I was considering that 😉

I'd love to try one on and see for myself!

It is going to seem tiny; my Reverso is small (would have been fine 15 years ago!) and I like that but this is pretty much the ladies model these days. And quartz would definitely put me off.

However, lose the engraving, get it polished up and fit a nice new strap and you won't lose money on it. You'll probably get your DateJust back as well as the other half might prefer this!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    It is going to seem tiny; my Reverso is small (would have been fine 15 years ago!) and I like that but this is pretty much the ladies model these days. And quartz would definitely put me off.

However, lose the engraving, get it polished up and fit a nice new strap and you won't lose money on it. You'll probably get your DateJust back as well as the other half might prefer this!

I think your "tiny" comment has killed it off for me!

Well, that and the thought of my wife stealing yet another of my watches......!

The quartz models are going to be small, less than 38mm end to end. It's going to look small even as a dress watch. I can't see the engraving pics on my phone but I'd worry about having that polished out and what it would do to the look of the case.

Grand Master
    Regardless of the size, or the fact that it's quartz, I think the engraving kills it. It's very unlikely it could be polished out, it's probably too deep.

I wouldn`t discount the reverse idea (although JLC servicing is always an issue) but I`d look for a better one and be certain you really want to go down that path.

Same old adage that applies to most things, if you want one buy a good 'un......I don`t see this as a good 'un.

Paul

Master

Cool

Well,for better or worse I bought this.Ill send it to Brendan for de-engraving ,polish and service and will post on the result.The discussion on here was very helpful
    Any advice on straps welcome.
    Last edited by Dr.f; 2nd February 2017 at 21:47.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Well,for better or worse I bought this.Ill send it to Brendan for de-engraving ,polish and service and will post on the result.The discussion on here was very helpful
    Any advice on straps welcome.
    Congrats,

Hope you like!

If you don't mind me asking, how mush did you pay for it? Just being nosy!

That JLC is very small , Its almost a ladies size if you have big wrists it will look so small!

Master

Cool

Well small but perfectly formed.Bit of a shock initially but will keep on for a while and get used to it,like the Prs 20 in reverse.Actually happy with the whole e- bay experience.

Master
    Some pics of my rescued JLC.

I think Brendan ( Webwatchmaker) did great job on removing the engraving and giving it a polish.
    Last edited by Dr.f; 25th February 2017 at 12:13.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Some pics of my rescued JLC.

I think Brendan ( Webwatchmaker) did great job on removing the engraving and giving it a polish.
    Doesn't look TOO small!

Any more pics??

looks grand in that photo

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Regardless of the size, or the fact that it's quartz, I think the engraving kills it. It's very unlikely it could be polished out, it's probably too deep.

I wouldn`t discount the reverse idea (although JLC servicing is always an issue) but I`d look for a better one and be certain you really want to go down that path.

Same old adage that applies to most things, if you want one buy a good 'un......I don`t see this as a good 'un.

Paul
    Often engraving these days cannot be totally removed.

This applies when an object is laser engraved because the laser leaves a stain in the metal far deeper than where the engraving ends.

Not so in this case fortunately.

Although the engraving was quite deep, it has now completely gone without making the case noticeably thinner.

Brendan.