closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any pencil experts?

Any pencil experts?

I know there are pen connoisseurs on this fine forum but I'm looking for some advice on pencils, well specifically Yard O Led propelling pencils.

My late mother in law left my wife several of these, some look quite old but we have no information about them, can anyone point me in the direction of where to look on t'interweb?

Cheers in advance :)

I'll be watching this as my mum passed away 14 years ago today and left me 300 of them! Gold, silver, bone, you name it mum collected them.

I'd forgotten I even had them.

Sorry I can't be of more help here. The reason being, that there is wealth of information on the web about propelling pencils and I wouldn't know where to begin in guiding you! Google really is your friend.

I have a small collection of YOL and other mechanical pencils (sold off many, but kept some nice ones). Even learnt how to strip the various types down and restore them - trickier than you'd imagine tbh!

A small pointer - learn about silver hallmarks - that's a good starting point for your research.

http://www.silvercollection.it/engli...hallmarks.html

If you have specific queries then don't hesitate to pm and I'll see if I can be more helpful :-)

Many thanks chaps :)

I've had a quick look on the web but as you say there is a lot of information!

These all seem to be silver, they are all hallmarked but I'll look more closely, we've found some service receipts for a couple of them so may go straight to the company for advice.

They are lovely little things, just wish I needed to use a pencil more often :)

Master
    Wow - there really is something for everyone here ....

I've found a world I never knew existed.

Good to know you can find answers on just about everything here ... Chapeau etc.

I know nothing

fpgeeks have a section dedicated to pencils, they often get mentioned in there.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/50-Pencils?

I use a '57 YOL pencil every day. Sits on my desk and I'm constantly losing it. It's a lovely thing to use, heavy but balanced.

I suggest you use them. Worry not about value and remember where it came from when you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    I'll be watching this as my mum passed away 14 years ago today and left me 300 of them! Gold, silver, bone, you name it mum collected them.

I'd forgotten I even had them.
    300 Yard o Led pencils?

If so, that's probably quite a valuable collection.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Try Andy's Pens. He's a Yard-O-Led dealer and also restores/sells vintage stuff.

Cheers chaps, they are very nice to use, we've found 5 in all so enough for the remaining family to have one each as a memento, although more may turn up, my mother in law was a bit of a hoarder, especially where pens and stationary were concerned.

Thanks as well for the advice, this place is a mine of information and helpful folk.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    300 Yard o Led pencils?

If so, that's probably quite a valuable collection.
    Sorry not all Yard o Lead other makes in there as well.