closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orient Mako 1 - Recreating A Famous Photograph

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Rumor has it that some more may fall out in coming days.
    Spill the beans, what have you bought now, Eric Clapton's PP or the moon boots that Buzz Aldrin wore when he left that famous footprint on the moon that features on the new Speedy Moon phase.

Please reassure me that you haven't bought a shitty cheap watch like the rest of us mortals.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The guy listed the Yellow at $400.00 buy now or best offer. I just couldn't take the risk of someone else buying it whilst I flaffed around making him a lower offer with an 8 hour time difference - so I just clicked on buy it now to secure the watch. As you know, the exchange rate is poor at the moment, so the total cost to me including postage and import duties and VAT was £385.00.
    Ouch, that's a lot for a Mako but it's also the nature of collecting. I reckon you were right to choose BIN: You would most likely have been beaten to it if you put in an offer.

I just checked my records and yellow Makos were going for $180-$285 on eBay.com in 2014. Oh how things change. Why didn't I buy one back then!?

I thought that, but you will seriously struggle to find decent examples on SS bracelets for under £100, if at all. I agree that was new price when they came out, but things have moved on.
    I agree. Prices for all Makos are creeping up. They're not exactly mega-money of course but, like SKXs, they're going higher due to perceived rarity as new models come in.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I just checked my records and yellow Makos were going for $180-$285 on eBay.com in 2014. Oh how things change. Why didn't I buy one back then!?
    Looking at the W&W article the RRP was set at $285 and they were selling then initially discounted at $140 - if only !! I had checked on watchuseek and three sold last year, all around the $200 mark, but the one before that 2015 was listed at $410 and sold for $350.

One did sell on e-bay.co.uk for £350, but I missed that. I suppose it's a question of luck, if you happen to be there and someone lists cheap then great, but as far as I can see we are talking about a watch that probably comes up for sale less than 5 times a year and demand easily outstrips supply.

Factor in about £45 in shipping and duties and the watch becomes £240.00. I would have gone higher if needs be, I had a WTB on watchuseek at $500 and not a sausage, so in the end I was happy with the deal.

Congrats - this is really the definition of collecting! Having some focus and vision is pretty cool. Backing that up with some leg work and luck really makes it great to see!

Spill the beans, what have you bought now, .
    Not me,buddy.
    These days when you talk PP here,only one name comes to mind:-)

Thanks James, probably the blue or the Pepsi, which is effectively the same watch with a splash of red on the insert. The button changes the day and you change the date using the crown. Well done on the Orange, I assume that you have been on the Creation website. When mine arrived the bezel was a little stiff, so I ran it under warm water and that freed it up a bit, it is fine now. The Orange dial is a lovely colour and great value for the money.
    Thanks for the inspiration! It arrived in 3 days from Creation Singapore labeled as a measuring instrument with a value of $22

Love the little screw pusher and engraved clasp. The hands and indeces are also very nicely done.

A blue one next then maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration! It arrived in 3 days from Creation Singapore labeled as a measuring instrument with a value of $22

Love the little screw pusher and engraved clasp. The hands and indeces are also very nicely done.

A blue one next then maybe...
    Well done James, incredible value for money and a nice bright dial. The blue is lovely, it shimmers in strong light, very difficult to capture in a photo. Go for the full set.

Makos are just fantastic watches. Maybe I should have hung on to mine

Timekeeping was always excellent and they withstood all the hard knocks of parenting and holidays.