closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega 2254.50. Just landed

Craftsman

Omega 2254.50. Just landed

I have been after one of these for a while - never seen one in the flesh - but always thought it looked to me how an Omega watch should look like.
    Fast forward to a few days ago when a wanted ad got a reply - and now it's on my wrist

Watch is lovely to wear - light and comfortable - add a half link and braclet fits perfectly. Watch really does look stunning - lum is bright - and overall delighted with my new purchase.

What is service interval on these - assume 5 years - but so far running only 2 secs out

Very pleased and think a few other watches I have will be on way out now. What a great forum this is 😀

Great watch.

Service interval = when it needs one. I don't adhere to any specific length of time.
    It's just a matter of time...

Congratulations. I share your love. I bought one some years ago from SC, and it ain't going nowhere.

Grand Master
    Hard to say when it'll need service! My own Speedy reduced, which uses the same base movement, still runs well after 12 years, but I`ve owned it from new and it's only been worn sparingly (maybe 6-8 weeks/year). Coversely, I`ve had Seamaster pros in at 7 years old and they've been badly in need of attention. Logically, I can think of only two factors; one is how frequently the watch is worn and the second is how thoroughly it was lubricated from new.

A 2254 will now be several years old and has almost certainly been serviced at some point. Provided it was serviced correctly it should be OK for 5-6 years, possibly longer. It's worth checking the auto winding on these, there's only one reverser and it either wears or gets sticky with old oil. If it stops working the rotor will spin but the watch won`t wind.

Best way to tell if a watch needs service is to put it on a timegrapher. This can also be used to test the auto-winding.

As for the watch, it's a favourite of mine although I no longer own one. Bold, classic diver, I`ll never understand why Omega didn`t keep something v. similar in the range. I`ve serviced a few and every time I see one again I like it.

Paul

Grand Master
    wearing mine now!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Lovely watch. REALLY wished I'd not sold mine.

Superb Watch enjoy and wear in good health.

Love these. Sword hand omega up next for me I think. Gutted to have just missed the electric blue version on SC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Brilliant watch. Mine doesn't get the wear it deserves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Aah, the ubiquitous 2254. My introduction to this bloody madness, 29 Sept 2004, remember it well. Do I still have it ? Do I bollocks like, long gone I'm afraid 😆 See what I mean, madness.

OP, great watch, a subtle classic, enjoy 👍

Craftsman
    That's some serious night time glow, certainly doesn't look bad in the light either

Master
    Glad you managed to hunt one down.

Watch looks great, congrats!!

Craftsman
    When I first joined this forum it seemed that everyone wanted a 2254. These days you don't hear so much about them but it's still a long term classic watch.

2254 is a modern classic. Congrats on a great buy.

Craftsman
    Thanks for comments gents - really pleased with it

Please post some pictures.Lovely Omega watch and one that I have never owned.

Craftsman

Like these, where did they fit into the range when new because they were sold alongside the 'Bond' one that's still available. Were they a forerunner of the PO?

Beauty!! This is the exact model I wish to add to my collection at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    Like these, where did they fit into the range when new because they were sold alongside the 'Bond' one that's still available. Were they a forerunner of the PO?
    They were just the sister model to the Bond watch. Although I'm sure the Bond production was from 1993, not sure when the 2254's were launched but probably from 99/2000 and a realatively short model life.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    lovely, im very tempted to get one myself

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    They were just the sister model to the Bond watch. Although I'm sure the Bond production was from 1993, not sure when the 2254's were launched but probably from 99/2000 and a realatively short model life.
    Not that short, the sword hands or Blake variants as they are also known were around from 1997 to 2008.

I had one for many years, traded it for a Dreadnought if remember rightly to Omegamanic have you still got it Scott?

Enjoy the watch one of Omegas best
    Last edited by wildheart; 25th January 2017 at 12:24.

I've been doing some work at my uncles house recently, he has the chrono version of this and it's a great looking watch.
    I've always loved how slim they are. Congrats on the new watch!

Master
    Just musing on why they canned the sword hands design, I wonder if with the planned introductions of the PO and SM300 ranges, both of which are strongly influenced by the late 50s Seamaster 300 CK2913, they were worried that a much cheaper design with a similarly inspired classic look may cannibalise sales from the newer more expensive models, particularly if the 2254 were updated with the Co-ax tech escapement like the Bond style was in 2008/9. The 2254 does have obviously dial cues from the 1960s 165.024 SM300 after all, the watch which followed on from the CK2913 and which now trade for serious money, even the new build versions.
    Last edited by Padders; 25th January 2017 at 10:57.

Great watches

I bought one a few years ago, have been keeping it for my sons 21st birthday in two years time.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post

Not that short, the sword hands or Blake variants as they are also known were around from 1997 to 2008.
    Quite interesting if that early, as I've never seen a tritium 2254, which you would expect for 97. Although they were available in 2008 in AD's I'm pretty sure they stopped production earlier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Quite interesting if that early, as I've never seen a tritium 2254, which you would expect for 97. Although they were available in 2008 in AD's I'm pretty sure they stopped production earlier.
    There aren't any with tritium that I have ever seen. As you say, Omega transitioned over to S-L from tritium during late 96-97. I was going to say that the AC version and titaniums came in in 1997 but looking at the conflicting info on the net, I may be persuaded that in fact they weren't around until 1998, certainly my earliest sword hands models are 1998 anyhow so perhaps I should have said that they spanned 1998-2008 but as you say the latest ones could have been built earlier than 2008 when they were phased out.
    Last edited by Padders; 25th January 2017 at 12:22.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    Thanks .That is a lovely watch.Congratulations !

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Hard to say when it'll need service! My own Speedy reduced, which uses the same base movement, still runs well after 12 years, but I`ve owned it from new and it's only been worn sparingly (maybe 6-8 weeks/year). Coversely, I`ve had Seamaster pros in at 7 years old and they've been badly in need of attention. Logically, I can think of only two factors; one is how frequently the watch is worn and the second is how thoroughly it was lubricated from new.

A 2254 will now be several years old and has almost certainly been serviced at some point. Provided it was serviced correctly it should be OK for 5-6 years, possibly longer. It's worth checking the auto winding on these, there's only one reverser and it either wears or gets sticky with old oil. If it stops working the rotor will spin but the watch won`t wind.

Best way to tell if a watch needs service is to put it on a timegrapher. This can also be used to test the auto-winding.

As for the watch, it's a favourite of mine although I no longer own one. Bold, classic diver, I`ll never understand why Omega didn`t keep something v. similar in the range. I`ve serviced a few and every time I see one again I like it.

Paul
    Out of interest what would you be looking at specifically on the timegrapher stats to indicate a recent service Paul? Decent amplitude or more the beat error? Do you happen to know the lift angle of the 1120 mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grand Master
    If a watch has been serviced recently I`d expect the amplitude to be over 290° in the flat positions when fully wound. Lift angle is either 51° or 52° depending where you source the data; 1° lift angle variation equates to approx. 5° amplitude so it won`t make much difference.

Beat error shouldn`t change, that should be set ideally to 0.0ms. However, it's normal to see a variation of 0.1 to 0.2 in different positions, so provided it's in that region I wouldn`t worry. At these values it has no influence on the running of the watch.

Paul

Master
    The 2254 is a modern classic in my view, increasing hard to find in decent condition and prices are on the up. Mine is a keeper 100%

Having been through 3-4 of these and a modded SMP/PO hybrid (gorgeous, but never quite felt 'right') I think it's safe to say I simply can't be without one in the collection.

There's just something about the slim case, bullet proof 1120 movement and those sword hands which does it for me. You could argue that the 2254.50 represents the pinnacle of Omega dive watch design - before they followed the trend of over engineering and chasing Rolex's tail.

Don't get me wrong I have a PO and it's an impressive and good looking watch, but it's nowhere near as comfortable as the SMP and the fact that Omega abandoned the sword hand design makes them all the more collectible. Here's my latest acquisition - by no means a minter, but this one should be staying for the forseeable...

It is a superb dive watch.
    Evergreen icon, timeless classic.and will continue to go up in value.
    Is already commanding 60% more than it did a few years ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is a superb dive watch.
    Evergreen icon, timeless classic.and will continue to go up in value.
    Is already commanding 60% more than it did a few years ago.

Really? Sounds a bit specific.

Really? Sounds a bit specific.

In what way?
    I used to see them fro $1050-1200 and now they are $1700-2200

Mine says hello

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    How does anybody who's got one find the AR coating on them? scratch easy and pick up marks/finger prints easy?

not sure the point in it being a divers watch with the coating

Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    How does anybody who's got one find the AR coating on them? scratch easy and pick up marks/finger prints easy?

Its a boutique diver no serious diver uses these. :)

Master

There is no external coating on SMPs, at least not up until the point the 2254 was discontinued in 2008 at any rate.
    Last edited by Padders; 27th January 2017 at 10:48.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    There is no external coating on SMPs so no to both your questions.
    ahh i thought they did? or is it only on the inside and not both sides on the pro's one?

Master
    ahh i thought they did? or is it only on the inside and not both sides on the pro's one?
    Yep internally coated. Other Omega models have been double coated, some Planet Ocean and Speedmaster models for instance, but not the SMPs, not for the first 15 years of production any how, I can't comment on the latest ceramic bezel model since I haven't handled one.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Yep internally coated. Other Omega models have been double coated, some Planet Ocean and Speedmaster models for instance, but not the SMPs, not for the first 15 years of production any how, I can't comment on the latest ceramic bezel model since I haven't handled one.
    cool, thanks for the info

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post

In what way?
    I used to see them fro $1050-1200 and now they are $1700-2200
    On those figures I guess you are right. I bet there would be some raised eyebrows and righteous indignation expressed in the Bear Pit if someone was to offer one for sale in SC at the £1750 you quote as the top end though!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Its a boutique diver no serious diver uses these. :)
    I beg to differ sir - I've got two deep sea diver patients on my books, both of whom wear 1120 SMPs (albeit one titanium and one electric blue).

Grand Master
    Given the crazy pricing of watches thesedays, coupled with the cost of service and parts, I don`t think £1750 is too heavy for a really top-notch example. However, for me it would have to have a sharp bezel with no damage to the insert, a case that's been refinished correctly, no dings or damage, recent movement service, and a bracelet in good condition. Box and papers would be nice but not a dealbreaker, I`m far more concerned about the condition of the watch, a red Omega box and an out of date warranty card are not priorities.

Once you start buying a mediocre example for £950 and spending money on it you can easily reach £1750.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pjsayer View Post
    I beg to differ sir - I've got two deep sea diver patients on my books, both of whom wear 1120 SMPs (albeit one titanium and one electric blue).

Not for work surely? I dived for years never saw a Rolex or Omega used?

On those figures I guess you are right. I bet there would be some raised eyebrows and righteous indignation expressed in the Bear Pit if someone was to offer one for sale in SC at the £1750 you quote as the top end though!
    I don't know if they really sell for that price
    There was one with planet ocean Mods that was advertised for $2150
    The seller offered it to me for$1950! But Ingot busy and never followed up
    Ended up buying for $1550 a couple of days later from someone who bought it from the other seller

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Not for work surely? I dived for years never saw a Rolex or Omega used?
    I know a couple of divers that used a 2531 and a 2254. They worked as commercial divers. I guess some just wear the watch they like. I'm sure Mike on here wears his regularly too.

As for price, there is no way I'd sell my 2254 for £1750. It's been on my wrist less than 5 times after buying it new. They aren't making any more ;). & a new SMP is £2770 RRP, with an imminent price rise!
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 28th January 2017 at 00:19.