closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: FitBit Charge HR vs Charge HR 2, real world experience?

FitBit Charge HR vs Charge HR 2, real world experience?

Dear all, I have had a Charge HR for nearly 2 years and whilst understanding its limitations for HR accuracy in more active pursuits I have enjoyed the stats collected etc. It has now lost a chunk off the display (been bashed too many times) and I expect it will shortly pack up due to sweat ingress so it will be time to replace it. Has anyone any experience of changing from the Charge HR to the Charge HR 2, I've seen on line reviews which reckon the 2 is less accurate than the original even when not being used for more vigorous activities. Toyed with the idea of an Apple watch but it's just a step up too far in terms of cost, and size if it comes to that.

Cheers

Ian

Maybe get a cheapy Xiaomi Mifit.

Syncs to your phone for £15 or less.

I got one to see if I could get on with wearing a monitor all the time and I bought a second when I killed the first diving (It didn't like 30M pressure inside a drysuit cuff, it seems).

Had the two for about 2 years now and wear it all day every day (except in water - The newer ones are supposed to be waterproof, but I'm not convinced).

Heart Rate monitoring is OK, although there's the odd exceptional reading.

They don't seem good at tracking non pedestrian activity (like cycling), but I don't do much of that and for the amount of real value I get from such a device, that sort of money strikes me as enough.

Generally it monitors my sleep and heart rate fairly consistently and, as far as I can tell, accurately.

If you want to track your heart rate while running, I think you'll need a proper chest mounted monitor, otherwise (for me, at least) the Mifit is perfect.

Disposably cheap, much less obvious than one with a screen and accurate enough.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 24th January 2017 at 15:37.

Ta

I have been looking at alternatives but as I have 2 years of data with Fitbit I'd like to keep it the same if possible but not if the alternatives are compelling. I have a Garmin Forerunner 310 for cycling/gym workouts (hence knowing the inaccuracy of the Fitbit for those) and toyed with a Garmin 'does all' all day monitor but they were/are just a bit too big. Hence wanting to know if anyone had done the transition between the two Fitbits

I had the charge HR for a couple of years but got a bit tatty and so bought the Charge HR2. It is greatly improved in build terms but no so different in performance. What I do like is the ability to change straps and HR2 has a bigger screen. I"ve long requested a battery status without having to consult the app and now we have it. I think it's worth the upgrade :)

Master
    The biggest thing is that you can actually change the bands now, which saves them money as we sent 6 back over 2 years for tatty bands that fell apart. Display is bigger, but never used it for exercise just steps.

Blog Entries
    I found the charge HR just a bit big to wear on the other wrist to my watch. Wifey brought me an Alto for Christmas and it is just a lovely bit of kit to wear, I just don't notice it. Granted no HR, but everything else is great with notifications and app etc.....

The Charge 2 does look lovely but do folk wear it as well as their watch????

Ta
    Pitch

Sure do :)
    My Charge HR is always on my right wrist and my watch of the day worn on the left wrist. I got my wife a Fitbit Alta with a Rose Gold bracelet - seems that Fitbit decided to learn from all the strap failures and it means the ladies can bling up their Fitbit's for evening wear?? :)

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I had the charge HR for a couple of years but got a bit tatty and so bought the Charge HR2. It is greatly improved in build terms but no so different in performance. What I do like is the ability to change straps and HR2 has a bigger screen. I"ve long requested a battery status without having to consult the app and now we have it. I think it's worth the upgrade :)
    Thanks for this, allayed some of the doubts raised by some reviewers (mainly on Amazon it must be admitted!)

I also bought a Milanese strap from Amazon. It's high quality with a strong magnetic strap.
    Here's the link:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I swapped from the HR to the HR 2 a few months back and I love the new one. The bigger display is great and I love the fact it now also alerts me to messages etc. as well as calls. In terms of performance the battery seems a bit better and I've not noticed any difference in its accuracy. Still on my original strap but I have been looking at a few cheap replacements on Amazon.

Ordered one today

Thanks again all

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quick heads up that you can now get a FitBit Alta HR... pretty much the same features as the Charge 2 but in the slimmer Alta design.

I bought a Charge 2 (for me) and Alta HR (for the SO) yesterday and she's getting really competitive already... 7000 steps on the school run this morning; I don't stand a chance sat at my desk all day

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Quick heads up that you can now get a FitBit Alta HR... pretty much the same features as the Charge 2 but in the slimmer Alta design.

I bought a Charge 2 (for me) and Alta HR (for the SO) yesterday and she's getting really competitive already... 7000 steps on the school run this morning; I don't stand a chance sat at my desk all day
    I just got the Fitbit Alta HR in a dark bluey grey colour... smaller than the Charge HR...

Fitbit charge HR was fine, but, got a bit tatty... when weighing up HR2 v Alta HR... I went for the compact size as I wear it on my right wrist with a watch on my left

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I just got the Fitbit Alta HR in a dark bluey grey colour... smaller than the Charge HR... I went for the compact size as I wear it on my right wrist with a watch on my left
    Thanks gents. That's exactly what I was looking for. I have a Charge HR which I wear on my right wrist (watch on left) permanently unless I'm running in which case I have a Surge on my left wrist.
    I wasn't planning on changing it but there is a large bubble appearing just below the display which I'm told is either from showering in it or charging it with too much oomph so it may be out of my hands soon and I was wondering about moving to the Charge 2 or the Alta. If the only difference is that the Alta HR doesn't count floors but is smaller, that's fine by me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Thanks gents. That's exactly what I was looking for. I have a Charge HR which I wear on my right wrist (watch on left) permanently unless I'm running in which case I have a Surge on my left wrist.
    I wasn't planning on changing it but there is a large bubble appearing just below the display which I'm told is either from showering in it or charging it with too much oomph so it may be out of my hands soon and I was wondering about moving to the Charge 2 or the Alta. If the only difference is that the Alta HR doesn't count floors but is smaller, that's fine by me.
    Yep - appears that the only difference is the lack of barometer on the Alta HR (hence the floor counting). Other than that, it seems to do everything the Charge 2 does

Yep - appears that the only difference is the lack of barometer on the Alta HR (hence the floor counting). Other than that, it seems to do everything the Charge 2 does
    Still not waterproof (or even shower proof) though. When they sort that our, that's what'll tempt me to get one. Hopefully Fitbit's acquisition of Pebble will help in that direction, as the last Pebble smartwatch had a decent water resistance rating, I believe.

Master
    I have a Charge 2 and the step counter is easily fooled.

If you indulge in some vigorous wrist action (of your personal choice), it tells you you've taken lots of steps without actually walking anywhere! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I have a Charge 2 and the step counter is easily fooled.

If you indulge in some vigorous wrist action (of your personal choice), it tells you you've taken lots of steps without actually walking anywhere! :-)
    I find cooking a stir fry fools it. First lots of slicing veg, then lots of stirring and wok shaking.
    (is that the kind of thing you had in mind?)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I find cooking a stir fry fools it. First lots of slicing veg, then lots of stirring and wok shaking.
    (is that the kind of thing you had in mind?)

Yes, any form of repetitive hand/wrist action :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I did 400 steps ironing a shirt this morning

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Still not waterproof (or even shower proof) though. When they sort that our, that's what'll tempt me to get one. Hopefully Fitbit's acquisition of Pebble will help in that direction, as the last Pebble smartwatch had a decent water resistance rating, I believe.
    I have the flex 2 which I believe is the only waterproof Fitbit. I love the smallness of it and I have no need for a screen

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did 400 steps ironing a shirt this morning
    That's a fecking big shirt!

Craftsman
    I did 4000 steps motorcycling to work!

Blog Entries
    My Charge HR stopped working a few days ago - I may have immersed it water accidentally.....tried all sorts but cant get it to work again. I've checked the fitbit forums/community for advice but none of those "solutions" have worked so far......have fired off an email to Fitbit CS for their advice/options.

For the OP - I've had the Charge since early this year and did try a Surge for a week or so in between - the Surge is just too big and clumsy for me as I like to wear a real watch on my left wrist and the tracker on my right wrist, so don't want anything too massive. I find the Charge HR works just fine sizewise but if I had to buy a new one, would probably opt for the Alta HR now.

Master
    Charge2 is a big upgrade having moved from the HR. Everything on one screen, longer battery life and more robust. A lot more features to boot.

Journeyman
    Do these count stairs and if so how accurate r they

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk