closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Deep Sea Challenger Edition 116660 - Blue Dial

Journeyman

Rolex Deep Sea Challenger Edition 116660 - Blue Dial

What is your opinion of the deep sea Rolex.

I personally find them to big and bulky, and not in a nice way. Unless you are going to use it for diving, I struggle to understand why and how people wear it with normal attire.

Yet there prices are sky rocketing, from an investment perspective, could be a good shout to have one.

Do you think the price momentum would continue?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Why not. Prices are on the rise and the waiting lists are a lot longer than they were when the watch first appeared and there always seems to be rumours floating around that the watch will be discontinued.

Like other 'hot watches' a great buy if you can get one at RRP.

I love mine. Wear it a lot and because I have very large wrists it looks fine....

Chris

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had one briefly and I'll admit I found it too big. To be fair though, have a look at a few of the Breitlings available today and it looks dinky by comparison.

I'd find it a lot more interesting without the writing on the rehaut.
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master
    I agree with the OP regarding the size, it's way too big to look right on most people but that doesn't stop folks wanting to own it.

Is it worth buying on an investment basis? Who knows. Personally I'd only buy one as an investment if I also liked the watch, thus allowing me to enjoy owning it if if didn't make much profit.

Paul

Never tried one but I wouldn't dare swim with it as it would probably drag me straight to the bottom.

...but the blue dial is just stunning, blue to black fade is just amazing... if only you could get that on a sub.

Probably a great investment though as others have already stated.

I've always been a fan of the DSSD and happen to love the Abyss look of the Blue Cameron DSSD, I have no idea what will happen to the prices but as mine is a 'keeper' I guess that's academic. It's a heavy solid watch but not as heavy as my Omega Ploprof 1200m.....

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    i love them, i would get one if i could get my hands on one

Journeyman
    I went on the waiting list, not had the call as yet but tried the normal one and thought it was too clunky but make a decision as to an investment piece if I ever get a call.

Too thick for my liking and the bracelet feels too narrow in relation to the heft of the watch head.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    I think it looks great. Hopefully will get one this year

Master
    Bought one new a couple of years ago and just didnt get on with it, ended up trading it for about £2k less than I paid 8 weeks later....... As some have said the main issue was the size of the bracelet in contrast to the bulky head. Always just looked wrong to me. Loved the head though!

First of all I am not sure if it is really called the Challenger edition. There is a Deep Sea Challenge which is a different watch.
    There are two different aspects of Deep Sea D-Blue which have both been 'litigated' several times before.
    The size, height, depth and the bracelet taper which is same as the regular DSSD and the graded blue dial with different colored text.
    I don't find the first to be a problem and I find that as my taste continues to evolve I find taper more appealing in bracelets and straps.
    The graded blue dial is lovely in my opinion and overall this is one of my favorite sports Rolexes.
    As for the price retention/appreciation- not really something to fret over.

I think the actual Challenge watch is one we would all like to own - but most wouldn't pull off wearing it. It's got a much deeper WR rating than the Deep Sea though, and the build to go with it.

I honestly prefer the plain black version of the DSSD, and only like the relative rarity of the Deep Blue. I have seen little of either watch being worn out in public, so it's always a good call.

Although I don't have the Deep Blue like Steve above, I also have the Ploprof and find both the Rolex and Omega wear very well for a heavier watch. I'm not sure if it's down to them having well shaped cases, or the fact both have full adjustable clasps - but both those features help.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Was lucky to pick mine up a few months prior to the price increase for £8,250.00 after about a 7-8 month wait/chase.

I agree with the watch sometimes looking a bit top heavy but to me it never feels like that on the wrist. It certainly doesn't feel heavy to me but then I'm used to wearing a PAM312 which is almost as heavy on a rubber/leather strap.

Mine is certainly a keeper so not overly concerned with future prices but it's always nice to know something might appreciate in value.

Craftsman
    If I wear mine regularly,ie holiday watch,it feels fine after a day.if I wear it for an evening it does take a while to get used to,particularly if I've just swapped from explorer 39 it feels huge at first but settles well. I wouldn't part with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'd find it a lot more interesting without the writing on the rehaut.
    My thoughts as well. Looks so tacky and unnecessary. I thought having Rolex stamped all over it was bad enough.

I have worn mine daily since late November when I picked it up.

It's a lovey watch in every regard. It's not as big as some dive watches out there like the AP ROO, for example.

I wear mine with a shirt and suit, and in casual attire - it goes with anything. I am pretty fussy and I don't find it too big or too heavy, but each to their own.

Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder. I've never seen one in real life, but pics look pretty damn good.
    I really fancy some of the bulkier breitlings, unfortunately my wrists are too small.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

You have to see the dial in direct sunlight to appreciate the true value I think , really does change in different lighting conditions as those who own one will testify, love mine and wear it on rotation or whenever the need comes ,goes with any dress/ occasion also.

Craftsman
    I love the Rolex James cameron DSSD-the dial is very unusual and I think the size is good for me anyway as I felt the BLNR wore a tad small on me. Inflated prices on RRP are a bummer but supply and demand and all that. Great looking watch on all those who posted pictures.

Master
    I don't care for this one since the design is a bit hokey and obvious. The green text is supposed to be the sub descending from the blue surface water to the black abyss - pretty derpy IMO. However, the size is overstated. It's a thick watch, but definitely not huge compared to some current monstrosities. It's not that much different in size from the MM300. Also, the compression ring text is much more subtle in person.

Love it. On a list for it but will probably never be called. Would buy it in a heartbeat if I could.

Same here, been on the list since October ... a mere 6 months! :)

Master
    It's great. I'm collecting one this week.

As for the size, it's on one of the best bracelet/clasp combos available and, properly adjusted, wears very nicely. Mrs C used to wear my original DSSD no problems, all 10 stone of her. The short little lugs keep it confined within the dimensions of all but the skinniest of wrists.
    Last edited by cmcm3; 21st March 2017 at 08:28.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wrong thread sorry :(
    Last edited by Dave O'Sullivan; 21st March 2017 at 11:01.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The dial is really nice on these, its the thickness of the case that's stopped me wearing mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
    I have worn mine daily since late November when I picked it up.

It's a lovey watch in every regard. It's not as big as some dive watches out there like the AP ROO, for example.

I wear mine with a shirt and suit, and in casual attire - it goes with anything. I am pretty fussy and I don't find it too big or too heavy, but each to their own.
    I've had both and the AP ROO Diver is much better proportioned on a bracelet. I loved my DSSD, but as Andy says, the disjoint between case size and bracelet width eventually drove me nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    It's great. I'm collecting one this week.
    If you don't get on with it feel free to pass it down the line ............ to me :)