closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bulova Moon Watch Thread

I bought one for my son. He has skinny wrists like me (6.5-6.75). I think it fits him very well - the short,shaped lugs really help. It's a big dial, no getting away from that, but I thought it looked OK on me, although I normally wear much smaller watches.

Sorry no pics.

Thanks for that.

Ive not owned a full size Omega (had a reduced) but thanks to the Alpha Speedmaster which is very close in size I have concluded that I would be OK with one. This was a worry as I usually go sub 40mm.

Looking at the Bulova and Speedmaster side by side such as in this picture from WUS there is a noticeable size difference.

I have both the Bulova and the Speedmaster and the Bulova makes the Speedmaster look small. Unfortunately, I find the Bulova just too big and I have 7 and 3/4 inch wrists. I'd really like to love it but I can't.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I got a second one today. Having bought one new and returned it because I wasn't sure I decided to try and get one secondhand so I could wear it a bit and change straps around. So far I'm quite liking it - a soft strap seems to make it a little less imposing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheap, chunky strap from Amazon looking good.

Managed to swap the original buckle on which looks good and, interestingly, gave me the extra few mm I needed for a perfect fit.

Looks great James

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesianbriggs View Post
    Cheap, chunky strap from Amazon looking good.

Managed to swap the original buckle on which looks good and, interestingly, gave me the extra few mm I needed for a perfect fit.

That looks nice- been wearing mine 1/2 this week in Teneriffe rotated with my Promaster (for pool duties)
    Last edited by lewie; 6th May 2017 at 17:22.

Cheers both. I'm constantly surprised by how decent a strap ten quid can get you and what a difference it makes.

Master
    Cheers both. I'm constantly surprised by how decent a strap ten quid can get you and what a difference it makes.

Send me a link please

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Send me a link please
    It's here. Even better, it was nine quid not ten!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZ8WE...il_TE_AMZLdp_1

Thanks James. It does look great, I find the stock strap too narrow for the case size, this adds some beef to to it

Bulova Moon Watch Thread

Just picked it up from Amazon US for $10US :)

Will have to do on this in the meantime

Here's the watch sitting on my almost 9" wrists... no problems with the size at all ;)

Last edited by Brucy; 7th May 2017 at 00:24.

Journeyman
    It's here. Even better, it was nine quid not ten!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZ8WE...il_TE_AMZLdp_1
    Thanks for that link. Looks good, so I thought I'd take advantage of it and order both a black & brown.

Looks like the new one is out now.

1. Movement: High Performance Quartz
    2. Case Diameter: 45 mm
    3. Case Thickness: 13.5 mm
    4. Water Resistance: 100M

https://www.bulova.com/products/98a186

I think it looks rather good!

I really like that Sean.

Master
    Like that a lot, looks great on the leather NATO too.
    Any idea on price Sean? Cheers.
    Last edited by barryw; 1st September 2017 at 20:42. Reason: Checked WR

Craftsman
    Picked up another one and cannot believe I sold two already, apart from I didn't like the bracelet due to the in between fit and one where the chrono hand didn't line up very well. This one is posing with my Shogun..

Master
    Just notice H.S Johnson has the new version in at £474.........Ouch!

Master
    Been eyeing up the Bulova Moon Watch for months. Couldn't resist any longer, absolutely love it. Came in today from Amazon at £389 on the bracelet (with free delivery as I'm a Primer).

I've never been disappointed with Bulova, same with Seiko. This is just gorgeous.

Last edited by Filterlab; 3rd September 2017 at 16:44.

Journeyman
    Great lookin watch, I've been tempted myself especially by some of the deals that Can be had on the 2nd market but just felt a little too big (for me).

Looks great on the bracelet, enjoy

I don't find it too big on my 7,25" wrist, though need to be careful about the strap as that can make the watch seem larger. I'm wearing mine today on the supplied fabric strap, which looks good and is super comfortable. Thinking of getting a Gasgas Bones strap when he opens for orders later this month, I think that will be an even better combination.

Master
    As a few have said, it doesn't wear as large as the dimensions suggest. It is fairly weighty though.

Grab one used, if you don't like it then move it on for the same price. 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Looks like the new one is out now.

1. Movement: High Performance Quartz
    2. Case Diameter: 45 mm
    3. Case Thickness: 13.5 mm
    4. Water Resistance: 100M

https://www.bulova.com/products/98a186

I think it looks rather good!
    I've just ordered one. Will post if/when it arrives. Order says "Due: Phone for due date." so it might be a while!

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I've just ordered one. Will post if/when it arrives. Order says "Due: Phone for due date." so it might be a while!
    Looking forward to what you think of it.

Master
    Popped mine on a silicone with deployment this evening. Very nice.

Master
    Mine needs a little air time - I'll pop,it on tomorrow

Master
    Today (and yesterday too), I have mine on a gorgeous, a simply gorgeous, Adirian-made leather, I bought this for my MM300 but it really works on this.

Last edited by Filterlab; 6th September 2017 at 08:46.

Looking forward to what you think of it.

Ordered on Monday, arrived on Saturday from Jura. They don't have any in stock, they order them from the manufacturer after you place your order. Bit annoying, but I wanted it, so there you go. Better than the Laco which I ordered from Page & Cooper at the same time, which still hasn't turned up, with no notice of when it might.

Also ordered one of these Nasa-style velcro straps:

In the same style as the original Bulova moon watch:

First impressions are that it's a very long watch. It sticks out quite prominently from my wrist (about 7.25") as its lug to lug dimensions are quite long. It's fairly wide too, but not ridiculous. Surprised it's only on a 20mm strap though, being such a large piece.

In other bad points - the crystal is very proud above the bezel, and being sapphire, I'm afraid I'm going to chip it on something. Maybe that will just add to the "wabi" I've already started in changing the strap. I was as careful as I could be, with a decent tool and having had a lot of practice, and I still managed to scratch a bit of the PVD coating off the inside of the lug. You can't see it with a strap fitted, but as my first ever PVD watch, I'm not impressed.

As for the quality of the watch itself, I'm very happy with it. It feels like a quality piece, the dial design is somehow detailed but simple. Everything lines up as it should, finishing is top notch. I really love the old fashioned Bulova logo (basically the only reason I bought this rather than the original for half the money) but wouldn't mind having a date window back. I'd also prefer a smooth sweep to the seconds subdial hand. It's possible on my Accutron II, so don't see why it wouldn't be on this.

I think I might try some black straps with white accents - maybe a black and white nato, or a black leather with white stitching. That might stop the watch being so proud of the wrist as it is on the velcro.

So overall, it's not perfect, but I like it a lot. Hopefully the right strap will make it click with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Been eyeing up the Bulova Moon Watch for months. Couldn't resist any longer, absolutely love it. Came in today from Amazon at £389 on the bracelet (with free delivery as I'm a Primer).

I've never been disappointed with Bulova, same with Seiko. This is just gorgeous.

That looks very classy for less than £400. The decals look crisp and the finish of the case would appear to be high quality. I have an Accutron II and it's one of my favourite watches. Good post - thanks.

Master
    I was a Moonwatch owner, but decided it was a bit too big, although a very well made watch. And with a haq module as accurate as the Grand Seiko F9. Compare the prices,
    Anyway, talking of big, the same movement in a 46mm case...I am enjoying it . More in your face than the Moonwatch, but fun. Bulova are doing well, but please, shrink the case sizes.

Master
    Sorry,
    At heart the Moonwatch and this Chrono C are brothers .it would be good to have both.

Last edited by paskinner; 12th September 2017 at 17:52.

So overall, it's not perfect, but I like it a lot. Hopefully the right strap will make it click with me.
    Thanks for the write up. It looks annoyingly good, and although not usually a fan, I think the PVD suits it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Today (and yesterday too), I have mine on a gorgeous, a simply gorgeous, Adirian-made leather, I bought this for my MM300 but it really works on this.

That's looks really good with it. I think the slightly heftier bulova can take a strap like this. It might have been a bit too much for the daintier Speedie.

Thanks for the write up. It looks annoyingly good, and although not usually a fan, I think the PVD suits it.
    Yeah, I'm starting to like the PVD a lot more. I've already got a Seiko 7a28 "Speedy" so the steel case option is there in the watchbox should I want it. Going to try the Bulova tonight on a black Mondaine strap I've never used, I think it'll go nicely.

Craftsman
    Anyone else have the pvd Bulova moon watch 2, how is it fitting in with the collection?

I should have mine in the next couple of days, I hope it will fit in nicely since it has no date!

I'm seriously tempted to get another SS version.

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Anyone else have the pvd Bulova moon watch 2, how is it fitting in with the collection?

I should have mine in the next couple of days, I hope it will fit in nicely since it has no date!

Master

^^Looks great on that strap^^

Does anyone have either of these issues;
    1) Slightly wobbly start/stop button
    2) Chrono second hand resets very fractionally off-centre of the 12 marker? It really is fractional

Or am I expecting to much of a £200 watch? It is remarkable value, I will conceed

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    2) Chrono second hand resets very fractionally off-centre of the 12 marker? It really is fractional

Or am I expecting to much of a £200 watch? It is remarkable value, I will conceed
    1) No
    2) Yes

Craftsman
    Deceptive blighter the black number, it hides its size very well. I like it a lot, leather strap is very nice to. The hands can be re-positioned by pulling the crown out and pressing the chrono buttons.

Last edited by electorn; 28th November 2017 at 18:39.

Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post

1. A very little play but nowhere near a problem, more noticeable to me is that the reset pusher is 'two stage' the first is the mechanical 'click' which is set by operation of the stop/start pusher, and then the press switch on the movement. With a light press on the reset it's possible to have the mechanical click but not reset the hands (I should say the second and 1/10 hands). A deeper follow up press will do the job so it's not a problem, but I find it interesting that it has been designed to have the feel of a mechanical watch mechanism cosmetically even though it's not required for the function.

2. Yes, but as you say, very fractional.

I really like mine by the way, it's been worn everyday since it arrived about 3 weeks ago.
    Last edited by strutjack; 28th November 2017 at 18:33. Reason: More accurate detail

You can adjust the position of the sub dial hands very easily. It's in the manual.

You can adjust the position of the sub dial hands very easily. It's in the manual.
    And the main chrono second hand too, but it's a 'digital' adjustment so if the hand is a teensy bit off, it's a teensy bit off no matter how many times you whizz it round and try to line it up bang on.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    At heart the Moonwatch and this Chrono C are brothers .it would be good to have both.
    Funny you should mention that...

Tempted

I've been tempted with one of these for ages, after looking at all the great strap options looks like I'll be getting one now!

This is what the Moon Watch looks like on a mesh.

Sent using my finger and the TZ-UK app
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Aggghhh I’m so tempted to get another one.

Craftsman
    These do look stunning and I’ve followed a few on eBay, but, like others, I am concerned over the diameter for my small wrist

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by luddite View Post
    This is what the Moon Watch looks like on a mesh.

Sent using my finger and the TZ-UK app
    Very very nice on a mesh