closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulova Moon Watch Thread

Bulova Moon Watch Thread

This might die a death due to lack of interest but I'll give it a go anyway.

I've been wearing this for five days now and absolutely love it. It's very wearable even at 45mm on my 6.75" wrist. The accuracy is stunning, not gaining or losing anything against my atomic G-Shock after five days. The chrono is a lovely sweep, especially on its return to zero and every hand zeros perfectly.

What I didn't realise until this morning when I looked at it in very bright, natural light is that the dial is stepped. The minute markers around the edge sit lower than the main dial which gives it a lovely step and depth. My photography skills are so poor I can't pick that up though so if anyone else can on theirs I'd love to see that here.

The case is machined beautifully and the engraving on the case back is crisp and sharp.

Some people don't like the pushers and I get why however I love them; they're unlike any I've used before and are the easiest I've ever used.

So here's a couple of pics taken earlier and let's see whether this has legs.

Cheers.

Untitled by David Douglas

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    That is gorgeous ! Pushers are perfect and would be near impossible to knock off the case.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Look cracking to me mate.Was that the long service award just out of interest ?

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Thanks and no, it's not.

Craftsman
    Love mine but unsure about the leather strap it comes on. Tried it on mesh and that seems to suit it nicely, but now on a grey NATO (the CWC type). Really glad the PSA came up on a previous thread! £271 from Amazon, amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by simesman View Post
    Love mine but unsure about the leather strap it comes on. Tried it on mesh and that seems to suit it nicely, but now on a grey NATO (the CWC type). Really glad the PSA came up on a previous thread! £271 from Amazon, amazing!
    Yes the price at Amazon was crazy. The strap is OK and getting more comfortable however a nice black shell cordovan would be just perfect.

Master
    I'd pounce on this at 40-42. I'm sure 1000s of others would too.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    I was playing with a cheap macro lens earlier

That piece of debris between 55 and 60 annoyingly isn't on the lens, it's underneath the the crystal! Wish I never bothered with the macro now!

hadnt noticed the stepped dial before.

On closer inspection it even has the ribs from the sub dials

Master
    I was sending mine back until I tried it on a nato. The leather strap felt too stiff and a bit cheap and while the velcro strap is a nice idea it doesn't really work in wear.

favourite combo so far is a military green nato (pic below). Wearing it on a grey zulu today. It definitely wears smaller than 45mm but i'd be lying if I didn't admit to still having a bit of a hang up about the size. If I flip it, it will purely be down to the size.

Last edited by mowflow; 23rd January 2017 at 17:51.

^^^^ Looks great, I will buy a couple of Eddie's natos in due course as the supplied nylon is like some riddle to fit and fasten and then it wears awfully.

Master
    I think these are great pieces- if only I could remove the bracelet

Craftsman
    Please ignore my un-photogenic wrist. This strap is working for me at the moment. I have had a few Nato straps turn up today, I will cycle through them to see what I prefer over the next few weeks.

Re: removing the bracelet - I ground an old screwdriver, from a Christmas cracker, down to a fine point. Worked nicely for me, just need to take your time. I used a magnifying glass to help see what I was doing.

and a shot with my Landie so you can see the straps better.

Master
    Thanks - did you have to release both sides at the same time?

I think a nice black shell cordovan plus a grey and a green TF nato will be just about perfect.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Thanks - did you have to release both sides at the same time?
    I released one side, with a bit of a wiggle to stop the spring bar popping back into the hole, and then worked to release other side out.

Its just a bit of patience needed really.

I'm loving my Bulova Moonwatch, despite being quite large for my (very) small wrist it's a very comfortable watch to wear.

I too don't like the supplied leather strap, although I find the Nato one very comfortable indeed and so far that it my preferred way to wear it.

However, i'm in the process of trying it with different options and I think this one rather suits, but the Nato still wins I feel:

Blog Entries
    Nice watch. Glad you are enjoying it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    I love mine - wearing it now.

Although the headline figure is 45mm the bezel is 42mm and the dial itself 38mm IIRC so it really doesn't wear as big as it sounds IMO.

Banned
    I've been looking at these for ages , I might pull the trigger after this thread

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

They are a nice looking watch i mite have to get one

I bought this black Condor croc grain for my brother to wear on his Speedy but he doesn't like it. I've just found it in the box so stuck it on until I get something better. It's not as good visually as the Bulova strap but it fits better and is more comfortable as it's already worn in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thanks and no, it's not.

If not I'm intrigued, is there another watch on the way from work? It was quite a long thread with suggestions of what to do. Did you make a decision?

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    If not I'm intrigued, is there another watch on the way from work? It was quite a long thread with suggestions of what to do. Did you make a decision?
    Maybe, maybe not. I've rather fallen for this Bulova and, along with the vintage Seiko and the atomic M5610, I might have the bases covered. I'm keeping my options open as to taking a gift or the extra weeks leave. I don't have to make that decision quickly.

Master
    Maybe, maybe not. I've rather fallen for this Bulova and, along with the vintage Seiko and the atomic M5610, I might have the bases covered. I'm keeping my options open as to taking a gift or the extra weeks leave. I don't have to make that decision quickly.
    The Bulova is rather nice, some nice photos. Like others say maybe just a bit too big for me.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    The Bulova is rather nice, some nice photos. Like others say maybe just a bit too big for me.
    If you're even remotely considering one then go and try one as it wears smaller than its dimensions. Now I've put it on this worn-in croc it's wearing even smaller as it's holding the watch closer to my wrist.

they are nice, annoying I missed that thread when they had a huge discount on amazon by time I saw it (and others) it had gone back up in price ;-(, if anyone is not bonding with it and paid the cheap price please let me know!!

I won't bore you by keep doing this so this is the last time; now through six cycles of 24 hours and still absolutely bang-on time.

Master
    I won't bore you by keep doing this so this is the last time; now through six cycles of 24 hours and still absolutely bang-on time.
    Of course it is bang on time...it is a hi accuracy Quartz for goodness sake. Expect around one second deviation, per month. Trying to detect a daily fluctuation is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Of course it is bang on time...it is a hi accuracy Quartz for goodness sake. Expect around one second deviation, per month. Trying to detect a daily fluctuation is pointless.
    Thanks. It's my first experience of this type of movement which is why I'm mightily impressed.

Master
    Thanks. It's my first experience of this type of movement which is why I'm mightily impressed.
    I believe the movement is from Citizen, who own Bulova. It seems to offer a performance similar to that of the Grand Seiko 9f Quartz movement. Incredible accuracy, to the point where absolute precision can be taken for granted. Given the price of the Bulova, it is another attractive feature. Apart from the annual clock changes, no adjustment is needed.
    It becomes quite addictive .

Is it not a notch down from the HEQ level Precisionist movement?

Still accurate enough for only the truly pedantic to notice a different over months, but not quite up there.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Now wearing it on Eddie's black nato and the whole thing wears so lightly and comfortably you hardly know it's there.

For those unsure of size, it wears considerably smaller than my PRS-20 Italian did.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 26th January 2017 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Is it not a notch down from the HEQ level Precisionist movement?

Still accurate enough for only the truly pedantic to notice a different over months, but not quite up there.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I think that's correct, but IIRC the reason is that the Accutron IIs use a smaller battery, which allows for a more sensible case size. I used to have a Precisionist, which was too big, and now have two of the IIs, the excellent Surveyor three hander and the lobster chrono, which is a great alternative to the moonwatch, I think, and perhaps wears a little smaller. I just found the moonwatch felt a tad too big on my 7 inch wrist.

Now wearing it on Eddie's black nato and the whole thing wears so lightly and comfortably you hardly know it's there.

For those unsure of size, it wears considerably smaller than my PRS-20 Italian did.
    Pics or it hadn't happened!

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Pics or it hadn't happened!

Voila!

Voila!
    I thought you had jettisoned the chromebook for a PC?

It does look a handsome watch though. Unfortunately I'm still straddled over the 'will it be too big for my wrist' fence.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    I thought you had jettisoned the chromebook for a PC?
    Not yet although still on the cards.

Think I'll be moving mine on. Love the design, but it's just too big for me. 41-42mm would of been perfect.

Off the back of this and the other thread, I'm going to have a mooch around Brum tomorrow and attempt to find somewhere stocking it to try it on to see if the size works on my wrist

I'm delighted with mine and agree that looking closely at the dial is a real treat due to the 2-layer construction.

My favoured diameter for watches is quite narrow - between 44mm and 46mm - so this is absolutely fine for me and significantly less chunky than a lot of what I wear. If you think it might be a bit big for you I'd definitely try one on as I think they wear a little smaller than they are due to the (very attractive) case shape.

I'm going to come out on the other side of the debate about the carbon fibre-look leather strap and say that I really like it and think it suits the watch. Having said that I have just bought a couple of Watch Gecko's excellent canvas straps to try on it - one in tan and the other in black. Photos to follow when I've fitted them...

I'm actually really pleased I bought the version on the strap - curiously (and I'm not entirely sure why) I don't think the watch looks 'right' on a bracelet.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I'm delighted with mine and agree that looking closely at the dial is a real treat due to the 2-layer construction.

My favoured diameter for watches is quite narrow - between 44mm and 46mm - so this is absolutely fine for me and significantly less chunky than a lot of what I wear. If you think it might be a bit big for you I'd definitely try one on as I think they wear a little smaller than they are due to the (very attractive) case shape.

I'm going to come out on the other side of the debate about the carbon fibre-look leather strap and say that I really like it and think it suits the watch. Having said that I have just bought a couple of Watch Gecko's excellent canvas straps to try on it - one in tan and the other in black. Photos to follow when I've fitted them...

I'm actually really pleased I bought the version on the strap - curiously (and I'm not entirely sure why) I don't think the watch looks 'right' on a bracelet.

Simon
    I agree Simon.

I would usually always buy the bracelet version of any watch but this just felt massive and really heavy when I tried it, plus it was never released on a bracelet as I understand it.

Mine just gets better and better every day with new angles and views all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Simon
    The brushing and finish of the bracelet doesn't match the case, similar to the seiko turtle. Much prefer it on leather/nato.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    The brushing and finish of the bracelet doesn't match the case, similar to the seiko turtle. Much prefer it on leather/nato.
    And it has a butterfly clasp which means the chances of getting a good fit are almost nil. That's the reason I've sold every Speedbird III I've had.

It's strange but, after two weeks of constant wear, I think it actually looks quite small now.

It's strange but, after two weeks of constant wear, I think it actually looks quite small now.
    Has your arm swollen up perhaps?

I find that any watch, big or small, looks about right after a couple of days.

If I change size then, the next one looks too big/small for a while...

M

Craftsman
    Anyone found any internal pictures of this yet? Someone must have unscrewed the back? Would love to know what build quality is like inside and if the movement is attractive or boring.

Journeyman
    Today got mine

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G800F met Tapatalk

A few new straps....

Eddie's Green Nato:

Eddie's Grey Nato

Vintage-Look Brown Rallye (20mm to 16mm)