closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What are the key things you look for when buying a watch?

Craftsman

What are the key things you look for when buying a watch?

I have always bought new watches from ADs. I am planning to buy my first second hand watch on line - but from a store with an established bricks and mortar presence in Europe.

For what it is worth, I am planning to buy a Tudor big block

What are the key things I should be looking out for? My initial thoughts are

Box
    Paperwork
    Condition, marks, scratches, etc
    Oyster bracelet

What else should I watch out for?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Worry less about marks and scratches and more about bevels/correct brushing still being present and a sharp case with fat lugs.
    You can take scratches out with a valet but you can't stick metal lost through over polishing back on.

Check if the bracelet stretch is bad or reasonable. If bad look closely at the inside of the lugs to see if the top bracelet link has worn any metal away from there. Inner lugs should be parallel with no flare at the bottom.

Look and see if hands have been replaced at service - e.g. Tritium swapped for luminova if it should be a trit model and check that the lume plots are all present and correct.

If it is papered check that the serial matches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very good advice.

Many a lesson learned.

If it's a Tudor make sure it does not have horrible hands.

Oh hang on 🤔

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Worry less about marks and scratches and more about bevels/correct brushing still being present and a sharp case with fat lugs.
    You can take scratches out with a valet but you can't stick metal lost through over polishing back on.

Check if the bracelet stretch is bad or reasonable. If bad look closely at the inside of the lugs to see if the top bracelet link has worn any metal away from there. Inner lugs should be parallel with no flare at the bottom.

Look and see if hands have been replaced at service - e.g. Tritium swapped for luminova if it should be a trit model and check that the lume plots are all present and correct.

If it is papered check that the serial matches.
    Really helpful. Much learned from your post

Blog Entries
    Lovely choice and good luck with the hunt.

For me...

1. Its what you want.
    2. Its genuine.
    3. It works.

Everything else is dependant on price to reflect what is or is not included.

Enjoy

Pitch

Apprentice
    For me a recent service is important. Could save €300-€500 or even more, but doesn't raise asking price too much compared to one without recent service.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Depending on age - avoid little tiny date windows. As your eyesight deteriorates they become superfluous. I haven't been able to read a date on any of my watches for years. Now I understand the cyclops.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivor the Engine View Post
    Depending on age - avoid little tiny date windows. As your eyesight deteriorates they become superfluous. I haven't been able to read a date on any of my watches for years. Now I understand the cyclops.
    Hah. I'm getting there now too. Hated cyclops, now I can see thr point. It's an age thing :-)

Grand Master
    I think Verv covered some good points, obviously based on experience. Reading and doing your homework helps, but there's only one way to get good at looking at watches.....and that's by looking at watches! By handling good and bad examples you get a feel for it ....literally!

Focus on the condition of the watch and bracelet; box and papers are a 'nice to have' but the watch must be right, don't let the tail wag the dog. Check the bracelet's full length (or close to full length) with spare links present.

Take a magnifier with you to check condition. Unless you've got exceotionally good eyesight close up you'll need one.

Paul