closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Falling out of love with a watch - has it happened to you.

Master

Falling out of love with a watch - has it happened to you.

About twelve months ago, I became obsessed with owing a Daytona and spent several months reading up and researching and eventually decided to opt for a 16520 because in my opinion, it was the best looking of the bunch and has the history to go with it.

I wanted a P series with the luminova dial and the SEL and eventually located one and bought it.

It did everything it said on the tin but for some reason I am not connecting with it.

I have been wearing it for 4 weeks and I am just not loving it.

My wife doesn't much like it either and she says to sell it off.

I have never sold a watch in my life as it seems to smack of failure, liking a watch and then disliking it seems a bit weird to me.

This has left me somewhat perplexed.

Has this happened to any of you ?

Can you put your finger on what it is that doesn't gel? Would changing the appearance by switching to something like a vintage style leather strap make it feel different? This would also change the overall colour as you look at the watch on wrist.

Several of my watches I have tinkered with the strap/bracelet until I found the perfect combination.

I have a Black Bay Red that I bought in 2013 on leather - I was wearing it less and less - tried several straps but fell back in love with it when I sent it to Tudor for repair and asked for the bracelet.

Chances are it's happened to most of us.
    Happened to me with a speedie reduced. I thought the size was great, the provinance of the model was good etc.
    A little while later, I just wasn't liking it enough and other watches were getting worn a lot more instead.
    Perhaps it was knowing there was a DD module in there, and it felt a bit 'tacked on'?
    Sadly, it had to go. Although I don't regret it. Sometime watches just don't meet up to expectations.

How about putting a ceramic bezel on it? It certainly changes the look...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes, quite a few. Sometimes the idea of a particular watch is far better than the reality. My last example of this was the fabled BLNR, bought and sold within a week over the Christmas period. Prior to that, Panerais have been the most common cause.
    On the bright side, at least you will have no difficulty moving the Zenith along. Have you identified a replacement in your mind? That always helps the severance process too.

That happens to most people at some point I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have never sold a watch in my life as it seems to smack of failure
    Some people on here make quite a bit of cash from your idea of 'failure'.

Honestly, sell it and try something else.

This is a quick process for me - I either tend to bond straight away or not - if I don't wear it much in the first couple of weeks, I never do. If I do, they tend to stay in the collection.

has happened many times !!

For me the Daytona is mainly hype..... quite underwhelming on the wrist

I don't think it's a failure - sometimes the reality just doesn't match up to the expectations.

My most notable personal example is an Omega Speedmaster Professional limited edition - the Gemini IV. I did actually love it when I first got it in a trade and thought it would be a keeper - gradually I realised I was wearing it less and less and was finally forced to admit to myself that I found it too small. I sold it in favour of a new Breitling Navitimer World... now that is a keeper...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

I don't have a Daytona but my brother-in-law does. I've tried it on and was distinctly underwhelmed, I must admit...

Simon

Master
    I think the Daytona does suit the ceramic bezel much better than the metal so might be worth a try.
    If the Mrs doesn't like it you're done for though as its like wearing a pair of jeans that she's said don't suit you.Once its in your head -game over.
    Sell it whilst prices are so good.

It's happened to me too, most notably with the IWC Vintage Collection Aquatimer. I lusted after that watch and searched for over a year before I found one. Soon after receiving it I realized it didn't look nearly as good on my wrist as I'd hoped. I loved it in photos and it looked great sitting on my night stand but just didn't look right on me. I sold it and bought something I actually enjoy wearing.

It happens, no shame in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    This is a quick process for me - I either tend to bond straight away or not - if I don't wear it much in the first couple of weeks, I never do. If I do, they tend to stay in the collection.
    For most watches this is the case for me too. After a few days I know whether I can live with a particular watch or not.

However I fell out of love with my DateJust and SubC after years of regular wear. Not really sure why. I think I bought them largely on the strength of their name and reputation rather than due to me actually liking them, and then tried to make them work, but ultimately I had to accept defeat.

I'm currently happy as Larry with a Seiko 5 which ticks all the boxes I had in mind when I first started looking for a watch years ago. Bizarre.

Master
    Thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, how do you fit the black bezel onto the Daytona. I must admit it looks better but it does seem a bit tacky, almost like wearing a fake.

Lusted after a Daytona for 10 years - when I got one it lasted a few months before I passed it on. The issue (for me) was that they wear small and this eventually killed it for me.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Yes - sold 2 to fund one.
    Lost my love for both of them.

Thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, how do you fit the black bezel onto the Daytona. I must admit it looks better but it does seem a bit tacky, almost like wearing a fake.
    You'll probably want to get a local watchmaker to fit it as it isn't as simple as changing the bezel on a Submariner. Having said that, the swap should only take a matter of minutes with the correct tool.

That's quite possibly the silliest thing I've read today.

And yes, I've wanted watches, bought them, put them on and decided they weren't for me.
    Then I sold them.

Apprentice
    Fell out of love with 2 watches. Both because of the big size. Pics from the web.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Grand Master
    It's certainly happened to me. A couple of the vintage Omegas I've owned for many years have never had much wrist time because I didn`t really 'bond' with them at the time of purchase. I`ve kept them with a view to fully restoring them then either selling or keeping. The opposite has happened too; I had a lovely C case Constellation on original bracelet but decided I`d sell it because I was rationalising the collection......a foolish move that I regret.

I chased after a bimetal rose gold/steel Aqua Terra 36mm, found one and persuaded the owner to sell it, but never really got on with it. Kept it around 12 months then sold it.

Usually I think carefully before buying and it's very rare that I get something and don`t bond with it, but it has happened. Usually I keep the watch a few months to really make up my mind then let it go if I`m not happy; but I don`t consider it 'failure' in any way.

I think the Daytona has done this for a few people; the thrill of the chase is the attraction, and the new owner's ended up disappointed. There are certain 'darling watches' on this forum and it's easy to get drawn into thinking you like them. It pays to stand back and follow your own tastes regardless of what the peer group on here might think.

Paul

Master
    I suspect it's a high risk of lusting after a watch, can the reality ever live up to the thrill of the chase. I seem to wear my Orange Monster more than my "nice pieces".

Grand Master
    I think there's a certain type of buyer who is always searching for 'the one'. They're almost certain to end up disappointed because it's natural to like several; human nature often makes us want what we haven`t got (grass is greener syndrome) and it becomes tempting to swap. That's why I always advocate building a collection over a period of time, it overcomes the dilemma of trying to find 'the one'......you end up with several that you like and you wear them in rotation. Trust me, it works.

Paul

Master
    Its perfectly normal for the reality of something not to match up with expectations.

This is just bizarre though...

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think there's a certain type of buyer who is always searching for 'the one'. They're almost certain to end up disappointed because it's natural to like several; human nature often makes us want what we haven`t got (grass is greener syndrome) and it becomes tempting to swap. That's why I always advocate building a collection over a period of time, it overcomes the dilemma of trying to find 'the one'......you end up with several that you like and you wear them in rotation. Trust me, it works.

Paul
    Sound advice Paul.

Warning: Don't try this with women though. Trust me, it doesn't work

For me, I've been in a cycle of falling in and out with various watches for years now! It's part of the fun/hobby for me - trying new stuff and moving one on to fund another. As I've progressed through the years though, I'm starting to find what it is that floats my boat - and I'm starting to grow a small collection of watches now, ALL of which I like. I've a small group of "keepers" and a number around the fringes that are flipped to fund the process.

So, I wouldn't worry at all.. if you don't like it.. move it on and enjoy the next chase!

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

I wouldn't say hype but I do agree that a SS Daytona is somewhat easy to fall out of love with.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 20th January 2017 at 22:41.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    How about putting a ceramic bezel on it? It certainly changes the look...

I like that, but I have a strong suspicion owning any Daytona would irritate me because I'd never have any use for its complication.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Sometimes the idea of a particular watch is far better than the reality. My last example of this was the fabled BLNR, bought and sold within a week over the Christmas period.
    Seconded. But I've bored the Forum before with my BLNR flip to 16570 black before so I won't here.
    Essentially though my quest for a BLNR turned me into Gollum for a good year, but after wearing it for a year I began hating all the things I'd craved!

Craftsman
    I had a long love affair with the idea of owning an Omega Planet Ocean, and felt I'd won the lottery when I swapped in my lovely 2254.50 for the PO.

Big mistake! I truly regret letting the lovely Seamaster 2254 go, and it was not too long before the weight and bulk of the Planet Ocean started to grate on me. I loved the style and particularly the bracelet, but it had to go.

Also, I've long (20 or more years) had a hankering for a Rolex Daytona. I don't expect I'd ever want to spend the sort of money required to get one. But recently a mate acquired one and I (perhaps) made the mistake of trying it on......instantly fell out of love with it. Have to admit I was a bit gutted.

EDIT: Should have said that the PO was the XL 45mm version. My Rolex Explorer is similar diameter, and it fits nicely on my wrist. So perhaps a smaller 43mm PO would be ok?
    Last edited by Finners; 20th January 2017 at 23:09.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Finners View Post
    I had a long love affair with the idea of owning an Omega Planet Ocean, and felt I'd won the lottery when I swapped in my lovely 2254.50 for the PO.

Big mistake! I truly regret letting the lovely Seamaster 2254 go, and it was not too long before the weight and bulk of the Planet Ocean started to grate on me. I loved the style and particularly the bracelet, but it had to go.

Also, I've long (20 or more years) had a hankering for a Rolex Daytona. I don't expect I'd ever want to spend the sort of money required to get one. But recently a mate acquired one and I (perhaps) made the mistake of trying it on......instantly fell out of love with it. Have to admit I was a bit gutted.

EDIT: Should have said that the PO was the XL 45mm version. My Rolex Explorer is similar diameter, and it fits nicely on my wrist. So perhaps a smaller 43mm PO would be ok?
    no! Once you try XL nothing else satisfies

It has nothing to do with love. You want a watch, you desire it, hunt it down and you finally get it - great.

You wear it for a short period, you read the threads, something else takes your fancy, you flip and move on.

That's why people on here have had so many watches over the years.

The OP has a highly desirable watch and will have no problem moving it on.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Explorer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Lusted after a Daytona for 10 years - when I got one it lasted a few months before I passed it on. The issue (for me) was that they wear small and this eventually killed it for me.
    Same here , no offence to any owners but imo its a very good ladies watch.

Blog Entries
    I think its the whole thing of thrill in the chase, you know, like when we were all totty chasing teenagers after the next trophy bird.

""the excitement that you feel when you are trying to find something or achieve something difficult""

This is very much the same with watches, you lust, you buy, you show off/display, then move on to the next. My first big desire was a Tuna, DONE. Right what next, a big PO, DONE. Umm a Rolex must be next, DONE. Got to have an IWC pilot, DONE. Are, now Panerai, DONE. JLC is a must, the watch makers choice, DONE. Got a sub need a GMT, a pepsi would be nice, DONE. Now.????.....I must have a SDc and 5167A.....and so it goes on.

Interestingly all of the above have been sold with exception of my T<25 Pepsi 16710 and PAM312, I always go back to them. Some, 14060 and IWC, I have replaced, does that say something???

My most recent is a real head shaker an excellent 60's 5513. I really really really have hankered over one for years and now I have it..........lovely as it is, did I just buy it to say I have a 5513 in the collection. It is stunning though.

So, in conclusion, for me, I think the falling in and out of love is just a part and necessary evil of this hobby.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    So, in conclusion, for me, I think the falling in and out of love is just a part and necessary evil of this hobby.

Pitch
    Pitch

This is the bit I find difficulty in understanding. I am a grown man over the age of 21 and should be sensible enough not to be chopping and changing my mind over what watch I like or dislike.

I spent over 6 months researching and looking for the 16520 and was as pleased as punch when I eventually got it and then the "love" instantly started to fade. You expect that from kids, not grown men.

Regards

Mick

Master
    We are moving house; the sheer amount of 'stuff' is awesome. All,things we wanted at the time ....and are now sending off to the local dump.
    It is no different with watches. Moods and tastes change...that tends to be part and parcel of any hobby. Best just to accept that, and enjoy the ride.

Master
    Life really is too short to hold on to a watch you've not bonded with, just like having a regret about one you've sold.

I kept my platinum YM for years as it was my first Rolex blah blah! Sat in the safe for maybe 2 years with half a dozen wears. Sold and never looked back.

Bigger 'I can't sell it' issue is similar to yours a 116520. Got my 116500 in the summer, decided I couldn't 'betray' my 116520 so I'd keep both. 5 months on and practically zero wear so I sold (I did also take into account service costs if I needed one plus the price had literally rocketed in the last few months). Absolutely no regret, what's the point. Now replaced with a deep sea blue

Blog Entries
    Pitch

This is the bit I find difficulty in understanding. I am a grown man over the age of 21 and should be sensible enough not to be chopping and changing my mind over what watch I like or dislike.

I spent over 6 months researching and looking for the 16520 and was as pleased as punch when I eventually got it and then the "love" instantly started to fade. You expect that from kids, not grown men.

Regards

Mick
    But then I think that is because some are in the fortunate position to be able to do that Mick. I have friends who are exactly the same with their cars.

It is having the disposable that makes us, ermmmm, spoilt......

I do know exactly what you mean though.

Pitch

Pitch

Regards

Mick
    But it doesn't necessarily have to be some sort of fickle change of heart. The experience of spending time with something is critical in terms of their experience of ownership -of anything really. You can read all the reviews and look at all the pictures you like - indeed you can even try it on in the shop and spend half an hour with it.. but that will be no substitute for actually living with something day to day.

It's perfectly possible when you get something home that it then emerges that it doesn't "do" what you hoped it would.

I don't see it as being childish or some sort of weakness or failure ... any more then getting something home and discovering I like it far more than I thought I would, shows some sort of weakness or failure on the part of the research.

There are long term watch marriages and quickie watch divorces. All begin with good intentions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I would not rush and sell the Zenith Daytona. Especially if it took you so long to find exactly this version. Put it away for a month or two. Then try to wear it again, and if you still don't mike it, move it away. The watch will most likely cost more.

Another trap you can fell in, is to sell it now, then realize you miss it so much, then you spend more time and money to buy it again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Sell and go forth to pastures new.
    It is (at least to me) not a good thing to let objetcs rule ones actions. Hell, I've happily sold many watches I DO like. Sometimes you need to let a watch go in order to realize what it actually means to you. Selling is a success, failure is not trying at all. You gave it a go, now let go!

Master
    Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated. I am back in the UK next week and if the love has not returned, I shall admit defeat and sell it on.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    I like your thinking!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app