closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Secondary glazing?

Master

Secondary glazing?

Need to install some secondary glazing in a property that is right beside a busy road.
    Anyone with any experience with this, good makes to go for, spec etc etc

Master
    Anyone.

There have been other threads on this so not sure why a search has come up blank.

Master
    we used city sound - good service and would happily recommend them. they have some special glass, can't remember the name that i'm sure they would recommend.

Master
    Many moons ago we had Everest secondary glazing fitted to an old bay window in a Victorian cottage. It worked well and was the only option at the time which would maintain the appearance of the house. Because you end up with a larger air gap than standard double glazing, the sound reduction can be impressive.

In the next house I fitted Polycell DIY sliding secondary glazing - aluminium frames with brush seals and 4mm glass. Again, good noise reduction and much better thermal insulation than single panes. Some fiddling about with non-square window frames made this job challenging but satisfying. I'd like to think I saved some cash doing this but you have to feel comfortable handling large sheets of raw-edged glass until you get the frames on. Polycell secondary glazing is now sold as Link-Line I think.
    Since then I have only encountered "normal" PVCu double glazed windows.

I have no idea how costs compare nowadays.
    Last edited by UKMike; 20th January 2017 at 21:16.