closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum cleaner recommendation

Two Dysons have conveniently packed up a short time after warranty finishing. On second Miele now. The first Miele lasted I think at least over 10 years, possibly nearly 15 years. To be fair, it had a very tough life and the complete house renovation really killed it with all the dust, plaster and nails it vacuumed up. Recommend Miele.

When I shopped around for the second one, there are many variations in power and with differing assortment of brush heads etc but all look the same (with exception of colour). I just went for another blue coloured one in the end!

Master
    Our Miele cylinder is still going strong after two Dyson uprights died. I did manage to repurpose one for diy for a fair while tbh. The G-Tech air ram was quite good at first and then could not cope with the long hair and broke so Costco took that back. We got a Dyson V6 fluffy a couple of months ago. That is really handy but already replaced it once as it stopped charging. So fingers crossed it lives. Any rotary brush seems to get ravelled up with long female hair in my house. But the V6 seems fairly easy to unravel so far.

My parents bought a rechargeable AEG. Absolute pants. Doesn't make contact with the charger w/o help of a piece of string and a 2 lb kitchen weight and even when fully charged only manages half of their living room rug.

(Disadvantage of being w/o internet is that they don't read reviews and stuff and just remember when AEG was a 'decent' brand, if it ever was. They've also bought a Swann microwave because it's a 'good make' - we shall see!)

Craftsman
    Miele Cat & Dog. No question in my mind better than both Dysons we had before it. We have the Dyson handheld to supplement it for daily pick-ups but nothing matches the Miele for suction and it has bags so no nonsense of cleaning it out and leaving dusty residue everywhere which was the real downside of the Dyson.

Master
    Henry for me all day long.

Master
    What are you guys doing to break your Dyson? I'm genuinely interested as we have had them for about 15 years without any issue.

All they need is the filter cleaning every 2-3 months and they go on and on.

My only gripe is that the cord is a couple of feet shorter than it used to be which means that instead of doing one floor from one socket I now have to use two different sockets.

I have a wife and 2 young girls so they pretty much shed hair like a dog.

Borrowed a friend's IRobot roomba and it was wonderful for daily cleaning on wood floor and carpets.

Just ordered a Xiaomi Robot Vacuum which is supposedly even better.

Otherwise I currently have an upright vax I use once a week.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree. The Miele C&D is a total weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    Miele Cat & Dog. No question in my mind better than both Dysons we had before it. We have the Dyson handheld to supplement it for daily pick-ups but nothing matches the Miele for suction and it has bags so no nonsense of cleaning it out and leaving dusty residue everywhere which was the real downside of the Dyson.

Journeyman
    Henry all day long, utterly bomb proof, there is a reason nearly all cleaning crews I have ever seen use them. Dyson simply over priced and over hyped, ours fell apart after 3 years. Henry still going strong after 6.

Gtech

Craftsman
    You poor bugger OP, asking a question like that, here of all places.

Bet you're totally confused.

Me, I'm a practical guy, like to fix stuff, do it for a living - not vacuums! Dysons meh, very bitty, bit of a faff to fix, on positive side parts available everywhere and easy to get second-hand ones.

Then someone locally asked me to fix her Sebo: her son, 16, lovely kid but has learning difficulties, had taken apart down to the last nut and bolt, I kid you not. Apparently it stopped working so he decided to take it apart. Well, I'd never even heard of Sebo. What a revelation. An item actually designed to be fixed. Easily. Once I found an exploded parts list to match my actual exploded Sebo. Found it was the mains cable as it went into the unit.
    Anyhow, long and short of it, I'm a convert. An evangelist even. Threw wifey's horrible Dyson out to the garage, bought Sebo.

So easy to maintain. Just my five-penno'th.

Good luck!

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Henry all day long, utterly bomb proof, there is a reason nearly all cleaning crews I have ever seen use them. Dyson simply over priced and over hyped, ours fell apart after 3 years. Henry still going strong after 6.
    +1.

In the highly unlikely event you'll need to, Henry's are also easy & cheap to fix. I changed a PCB on an old one as it only worked on one speed. £15.00 delivered off eb*y for a PCB, undid 7 screws & 4 spade connectors - sorted.

I am crap at DIY & anything like that but it was so easy & straightforward it felt like working on an old car/machine.

Plus the way they look makes you smile :-)

Craftsman
    +1 for Henry. Only downside is it is relatively heavy/bulky.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Totally agree. The Miele C&D is a total weapon.
    Another vote for Miele from me. Far better than every Dyson we've ever owned. So simple yet so efficient - just a good old fashioned vacuum cleaner, but one which will last for years and has extraordinary suction power.

Craftsman
    Henry if you don't have thick carpets. Miele if you do. I use the Miele now.

- - - Updated - - -

Henry if you don't have thick carpets. Miele if you do. I use the Miele now.

I'm sick of my Dyson Ball taking chunks out of door frames and banisters and read about the Sebo Airbelt. Tomorrow I've got an E1 coming which will be my first non Dyson, and even though it's bagged it must be much easier to empty than current Dyson's are.

Journeyman
    We had a Miele Cat and Dog, great vacuum

managed to sell it after around 6 years of heavy use and got a decent amount for it.

now we have a Henry, its just as good, cheaper to buy, cheaper parts and is a work horse.

had a Sebo for 10/15 years (can't remember exactly) it worked well and I was impressed how easily it came apart for routine cleaning/maintenance - bags/filters/brushes, etc. When it did fail I thought it had provided good service and I made no attempt to fix it(looking a bit old and something wrong in the electrics) so bought another - which we've had for 5/6 years with no problems.

Both the same design, upright - nozzle pulls out on a flexible, and extendable hose, for corners/limited access/curtains tops of stuff etc. We have a hose extension so you can do the entire stairs leaving the main unit at the top/bottom. Finally, it will lay 'flat' and go right under our traditional beds

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I'm sick of my Dyson Ball taking chunks out of door frames and banisters and read about the Sebo Airbelt. Tomorrow I've got a Sebo E1 coming which will be my first non Dyson, and even though it's bagged it must be much easier to empty than current Dyson's are.
    I can't believe the power of this thing. I got the 1200 watt version and I had to turn the suction down as I could barely push it on carpet.

One choice... Sebo. Awesome vacuums.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    One choice... Sebo. Awesome vacuums.
    Totally agree - ugly to look at but super reliable and great performers

Craftsman
    I'm not an expert but my father in law owns a white goods shop and he insists I have a Sebo.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just pick one in pretty colours, nothing to choose between technically as they all suck.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    I do like Sebo but I want for a Henry. A little heavy but a great vacumn cleaner. I think the watch equivalent would be a Seiko!

Craftsman
    Another for Henry, Dyson seem to going backwards these days

The Miele Cat & Dog is half price at Argos (£130) - might be handy with xmas around the corner!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Sebo here too... brilliant cleaner.
    Sebo -21 years old and still going strong.

Craftsman
    Does anyone have experience with the AEG CX7 Animal? Does that Brushroll Clean technology actually work?

Master
    Blog Entries
    We use the shark nv680. Really impressed with it.

They are usually about £150 in costco

Craftsman
    Miele here too, had ours years and years and just works very well.... According to the wife

Craftsman
    Sebo

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using TZ-UK mobile app

Sebo 100%

Will SEBO 1100W machines be banned under EU regulations out today.

Vacuum cleaners using more than 900 watts and emitting more than 80 decibels will be banned when stocks run out
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41119355.

Does that mean >900W AND >80 dB or just one of those will mean a ban. Still on SEBO website, or have they got massive stocks?

I've got a 1200 watt Sebo and it's way quieter than the screaming banshee Dyson it replaced. The power is also variable so perhaps that's their workaround.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Will SEBO 1100W machines be banned under EU regulations out today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41119355.

Does that mean >900W AND >80 dB or just one of those will mean a ban. Still on SEBO website, or have they got massive stocks?
    It's up there with low power toasters! So if the vacuum takes 10% less power but takes 10% longer to clean then nett effect is the same. Some of these EU regulations really are twonk! As I say like the toasters. Less energy going into the bread and it simply takes longer to cook. Actually for toast is worse than that because the lower heat for longer means the middle of the bread ends up being cooked so it takes longer and the toast is totally dry!

I would think it's whilst stocks last so get in there quick!

PS all in agreement for the 80dB noise level. You need ear defenders when using a Dyson!

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    It's up there with low power toasters! So if the vacuum takes 10% less power but takes 10% longer to clean then nett effect is the same. Some of these EU regulations really are twonk! As I say like the toasters. Less energy going into the bread and it simply takes longer to cook. Actually for toast is worse than that because the lower heat for longer means the middle of the bread ends up being cooked so it takes longer and the toast is totally dry!
    It's not really the same as a toaster. Suction can vary enormously with the same power motor. Much lesser difference with a toaster where probably 99% of power produces heat (and minor differences in how that is directed).

I've been really happy with my Dyson - it's been working for years, is intuitive and easy to handle and picks up a lot, - I had a Vax before this and the motor blew

Blog Entries
    Not mentioned here: Nilfisk. Perhaps not so big in the UK? Very big on the continent. Nilfisk and Henry are more or less the same, quality wise. Our Nilfisk is much better than our Miele (upstairs, lino on the floor). We even haul the Nilfisk upstairs to do the job!

Menno

Craftsman
    We had a Dyson DC07 Pet for over 10 years.

It was generally a great machine until the final year, when it started to overheat and cut itself out. We would continually clean the filters and get it serviced, but it had to go.

We had one of the Dyson hand held pet machines at the same time, but it was awful. Had to have many parts replaced, the battery would never charge and it would cut out when used at anything but horizontal.

As a result, when we replaced the DC07 this year, we went for a different brand.

We looked at both Miele and Sebo, but the Sebo stood out by a mile. We ended up with the X4 eco Pet machine from AO who price matched a cracking deal from somewhere, so it was less than £200.

Overall, it is excellent. Ours gets used 2-3 times a day and the cleaning power is great. It will easily pull itself along by the suction alone.

It has a suction powered pet attachment and separate extension hose for the stairs. It is a bagged machine, but I don't mind that. The machine also auto levels based on the height of the floor surface.

The only issue is it's stability. It will often tip over when cleaning the stairs or if using the main hose attachment. I've had it crack my head a few times. It's all due to the shape of the base plate and the auto height adjuster.

All in though, I'd strongly recommend it.

Craftsman
    I sold my vacuum at the Boot Sale this weekend , it was just collecting dust ..

Sebo Warranty

Yesterday my Sebo E1 fell down one carpeted step and the rear wheel shattered. I've spent most of the day arguing with Sebo UK about warranty cover and they refuse to accept that a two month old machine should be more durable. I've now got to pay shipping each way plus parts - as a gesture they won't charge labour. When I asked about being supplied with the parts to repair it myself they said as I would need to open the case this would invalidate the warranty. If the part had been more readily available I would have taken the chance, but for now it looks like a £40-60 charge to replace a £14 part.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 4th September 2017 at 15:55.

Which sebo would you all recommend?

What are the differences?
    Last edited by ernestrome; 4th September 2017 at 17:12.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post

Another vote for Sebo. We have the "Automatic X1.1 ECO Vacuum Cleaner - 1100 W" model for 2 years now and can't fault it except that it is a bit heavy but that's because it is heavy duty. Previous ones, Vax and others didn't last very long and were a constant pain.

Don't know the differences between various models but I do know the fundamentals and design have not changed much (if at all) for many years.

Craftsman
    Big fan of the dyson handhelds

Sent from my VFD 900 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Not mentioned here: Nilfisk. Perhaps not so big in the UK? Very big on the continent. Nilfisk and Henry are more or less the same, quality wise. Our Nilfisk is much better than our Miele (upstairs, lino on the floor). We even haul the Nilfisk upstairs to do the job!
    I inherited my Dad's Nilfisk, which he bought in the 1960's. (I recall sticking a label on it that said R2D2 after seeing the original Star Wars.)

It's still working just fine. And you can still get all the spares for it from Nilfisk.

Also, on topic for TZ-UK. You people need to talk about the residuals!!!(*)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Also, on topic for TZ-UK. You people need to talk about the residuals!!!(*)
    Not interested in the residuals but I was not happy about Amazon keeping all the polystyrene from my Sebo packaging for 2 years. Now only 10 days to go until I get it back!

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post

Mines a Sebo X4 Extra 1100W - It's brilliant and been faultless in the 8+ years I reckon I have owned it. I also have a Miele cat and dog vacuum which we leave upstairs, but I prefer the Sebo by a considerable margin.

never even heard of Sebo until this thread popped up. got a fairly vast vacuum collection;

G-Tech air ram for a quick run around the house.
    Dyson cordless for covings, skirting
    Henry for the car and garage
    Dyson upright for very edges of rooms as G-tech isnt great in that respect.

Craftsman
    We bought our second Dyson a year ago and had loads of issues with bits breaking. It felt flimsy in comparison to the heavier 'old style' model, although the suction was a little better. Their customer service was excellent in terms of replacing parts or sending out an engineer but I eventually had enough and made a formal complaint. They only replaced the machine for their top of the range model with a full warranty! My faith was restored and this one has been flawless....then again, you'd expect it to be at over £500!!

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 11th September 2017 at 02:29.