closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sizing

Sizing

Gradually, I find myself contemplating the addition of a Speedie. I know I like them as I've had a few. But I always end up selling them.

I suppose I should sell my PO really. This isn't a stealth post as I'm still a month or two away from making the decision.

There's nothing wrong with the PO. Perhaps, and I'm not sure why this is, I just like to clear the decks occasionally (not a euphemism). It's 42mm, black and white, and it's my ideal watch. Well, no, that's not entirely true. It's about two millimetres too large - the same watch in 40mm would be better. And it's about two millimetres too tall. And I'd like it to be quartz. Apart from that, I love it. I know it's quite robust but I seem to treat autos with too much respect for some reason. My 2264 is too shallow and doesn't have the quality feel of the PO though. It also feels a little large.

There have been countless threads on the perfect size of watch. Think I even started a thread which calculated the perfect watch for any wrist size based on a formula (yes, quite sad. We Brits like to make up rules and then admonish people for breaking them. I suppose it's because we don't get enough sex. Just speaking for myself, of course. No doubt you're rampaging through your own life like a coke-fuelled Lord Flashheart).

Anyway, I saw this thread...

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=26mm

..and wondered if I too might be able to find a perfectly sized watch. Do any of you have photos of watches on wrists where you think the ideal match has been found? I don't mean the perfect watch, just the ideal ratio of wrist size to watch (even if you think the watch is awful). All the pictures of skinny wristed owners of large watches have left me rather jaded. I did think about writing to my MP but he's quite busy.

Please don't say 'whatever you like' as that is plainly idiocy. I'd like to wear an Elvis jump suit to work but I don't because I'd look like a brasso-drinking entertainer at a pub wedding. And it isn't because I care more about the opinion of others than my own - I'm happy to choose the watch. I just need a steer on what the majority of us think is ideal from the other side of the room. Be critical - don't sit on the fence. Say what you think.

Mine is seven and a half inches by the way, but don't read too much into that.

TIA for any thoughts.

AO
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 18th January 2017 at 23:18.

I'm sure if you look on SC you could find an Elvis outfit, perhaps in an unusual size. If not appropriate for work, as you suggest, perhaps keep for weekends?

Sizing might be, for some, you "just know". Not for me, though. I'm clueless. I suspect Mrs Analogue has given me a useful perspective on what suits, whilst we have been in the shop. She let me down once, though, when I bought a PAM 104 that she thought looked great. It did look great, but but not on my puny wrist...

Oops

As I am new here, and unknown, I should have added an appropriate emoji on my first paragraph to convey the friendly modular nature of it. 😉

By "modular" I did mean 'jocular" but this device knew better so auto "corrected" (sic) it.

I've gone through various sized watches over the years but have settled in a bit of a rule in general, you should be able to see at least some area of strap top and bottom of the wrist, if the lugs reach to the far edges is probably too big.

This for me is ideal IMO, slightly smaller if anything. Having said that I have got a Speedy Tuesday on order which is slightly bigger, can just about get away with a Speedie Pro bit that's really the limit for me without the watch looking silly on my wrist.

Last edited by Tetlee; 19th January 2017 at 11:06.

^Thanks Tetlee.

That looks to be a good match - as a bonus it's a beautiful watch, too.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the reason I may have sold my Speedies is because they're slightly too big. The Reduced version is too small though. At least, I thought it was back in 2008 when I tried one. Perhaps it's time to revisit that idea.

Is the FOIS Speedy smaller? It might be worth trying that one.

BTW - your posts always raise a smile.

My current collection of watches range from 30mm to 43mm in size, all round dials, no square or rectangle dials, I don't like watches bigger than 43mm as they look too big on my wrist, smaller than 30mm look too small.

Looks wise, I'll be honest and say the one's that look the best on my wrist are in the 36-40mm range.

Rather than find the perfect size for a watch I tend to look for long term wearing comfort, there doesn't appear to be any pattern and lots of elements can affect the outcome such as weight of the watch head, bracelet, crown position etc.

So in summary, although you like 40mm and quartz my view is don't discard anything that doesn't match that criteria as you might be missing out a comfortable daily wear ...

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    Is the FOIS Speedy smaller? It might be worth trying that one.
    Hadn't thought of that. I'll pop into the Royal Exchange to see what they've got.
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I think it's not good to over analyse these things.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Well, that's certainly a point of view but not one I subscribe to. As my inability to stop dressing like it's 1985 will testify. I need some help. As my wife would agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Rather than find the perfect size for a watch I tend to look for long term wearing comfort, there doesn't appear to be any pattern and lots of elements can affect the outcome such as weight of the watch head, bracelet, crown position etc.

So in summary, although you like 40mm and quartz my view is don't discard anything that doesn't match that criteria as you might be missing out a comfortable daily wear ...
    You're probably right. But that means I'll be wearing something just because it's comfortable. That's like going to the shops in slippers. Feels good but very wrong indeed.

Sizing

Whilst I think that wrist shots posted online look larger than real life, often due to the angle the picture is taken at, it does seem that there are wide views on what size watch looks reasonable. I just don't get that say a 45mm case with 52mm lug to lug "fits well" on a 6.5-7" wrist.

For my 7" wrist I have reached the conclusion that a 40mm case size, lug to lug of approx. 47-48mm and a crystal of approx 30mm fit me best.

Although maybe 36mm with slimmer bezel and 30mm crystal is better and I just don't want to admit it.
    Last edited by gbn13; 19th January 2017 at 22:41.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Whilst I think that wrist shots posted online look larger than real life -often due to the angle the picture is taken at,
    What works for you?

Sizing

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    What works for you?
    Now edited, as somehow I posted before I had finished.....

Grand Master
    I really cannot understand the '2264 is too shallow' statement. Do you really equate quality and substance with size and weight......a seriously flawed concept!

That's the way I read it.

Paul

Journeyman
    Wrist shots definitely make the watch look bigger than in person, but so long as the lugs don't overhang, it's alright for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Sizing

There are too many variables really, as a wide bezel like an Explorer II means a smaller dial, while proportionally smaller bezels wear larger, and Omegas like the Speedy and Aqua Terra can have a couple of mm of crown guard subtly sneaked into the design, so the width is not the bezel width. So the 38.5mm Aqua Terra has the dial of a 37mm watch, or something like that. Integrated bracelets also add size, and the Royal Oak's octagonal bezel has a diameter (2 to 8 o'clock) that's larger than its width (3-9), so the 36mm is actually 39mm in some directions.

That said, with a slim 6.5" wrist I've come to think there's something special about about 38mm, and up to 40mm with a wide functional bezel, or down to 36mm with a more dressy or small bezel style. The 38.5mm AT seems as close to just right for a modern, reasonably substantial watch as I've found, while the oyster perpetual 39 looks ever so slightly oversized.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 20th January 2017 at 00:34.

7.25" wrist here and I'd say that a 40mm case up to 12mm in depth is my sweet spot, my Damasko DA36 being a good example. The thing is though, my (possibly!) favourite watch is a slimmer 36mm GS and I have no issues at all wearing my much larger MM300, GW-3000 or my Damasko DC67si.

The size of the watch has to match both the wrist size and the watch type/style IMO and there's a degree of subjectivity in both - if that sounds like I'm sitting on the fence then so be it!

General agreement seems to be from the above that 36mm to 40mm is the ideal size for anyone and I would agree with that! For me 37mm is perfect for a smarter watch and 40mm for a casual one.

My wrist is just over 7". I have watches from 35mm to 42mm. I have had larger but they look comic (and are also too heavy in general (Seiko SUN019 ad TH Aquagraph fall into that category).
    To me, 40-41mm is perfect. This is for watches with lugs.
    My Tutima Commando is larger, but has integrated lugs so it too works.
    It is simply very hard to avoid the fact that the Rolex Sub case is just, well, right.D
    D