closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any vinyl fans here, looking for ideas for newbie setup...

Any vinyl fans here, looking for ideas for newbie setup...

So I'm looking to move into the world of vinyl, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here could give me any pointers in any good tunrtsbles, amp and speakers.

I'm not looking to break the bank just something to get me started listening to some vintage stuff, not planning on becoming an International DJ😂.

Good shout.

I have a basic Pro-Ject Essential II turntable and run it through Roth VA4 active speakers - they have a phono input (amongst others).

I do have to declare self interest with the Roth speakers though!! iHowever, they are of interest, just drop me a line and I'm sure we could sort a good price for you.

HTH

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by paul360m; 18th January 2017 at 17:05.

First step is to think about max you want to spend as the options and permutations are vast. You can get something to suit all tastes and budgets, but there is a big difference between say 500gbp as a budget and say 1000gbp, double it again and a lot options open up ... And so on into the realms of real estate level budgets :) Even at the lower end budgets you can get some really good stuff if you buy well, but it you want to use and buy old records, eg. Well used, then you should also factor in some funds for a good record cleaner, otherwise no matter what you spend on the audio equipment it will always be compromised by a dirty source.

Turntable brands that are well thought or are eg. Rega, Project, VPI, Thorens , with TT,s. For all types of budgets and a good number of others makes come into play in high budget brackets.

Ok thanks ill start researching all those brands. Also do I need an amp or can I just connect turnable to speakers?

Longtime audio fan here, as already mentioned you need to start with a budget in mind and whether you want new, used or even vintage equipment. How big is your room and how loud do you like to listen? Is your wife going to be fussy on what she allows in the house?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by paul360m View Post
    Good shout.

I have a basic Pro-Ject Essential II turntable and run it through Roth VA4 active speakers - they have a phono input (amongst others).

I do have to declare self interest with the Roth speakers though!! iHowever, they are of interest, just drop me a line and I'm sure we could sort a good price for you.

HTH

Cheers

Paul
    👍

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Longtime audio fan here, as already mentioned you need to start with a budget in mind and whether you want new, used or even vintage equipment. How big is your room and how loud do you like to listen? Is your wife going to be fussy on what she allows in the house?

Cheers
    No wife the divorce saw to that lol, I like music but I'm not planning on disturbing mine or next doors foundations😉

I'd recommend a Rega P2 turntable (£375) or a Project Essential 111 (£279) if the Rega is too expensive. Amplifiers... need one with a phono input.. Denon, Arcam, Rotel. Also look on E Bay for Audiolab, Arcam. Speakers ... Monitor Audio, KEF, B&W stables.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I'd recommend a Rega P2 turntable (£375) or a Project Essential 111 (£279) if the Rega is too expensive. Amplifiers... need one with a phono input.. Denon, Arcam, Rotel. Also look on E Bay for Audiolab, Arcam. Speakers ... Monitor Audio, KEF, B&W stables.
    Thanks do I need an amp or can I connect turntable straight to speakers?

You need an Amp unless you buy Active speakers like the Roth.

No you need an amplifier and speakers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using TZ-UK mobile app

No you need an amplifier and speakers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using TZ-UK mobile app
    not with the Roth VA4 - they are active with Phono input so thats all you need.......

not with the Roth VA4 - they are active with Phono input so thats all you need.......
    Ok thanks so potentially I could buy a set of these and say the Rega Planar 2 and that would be all I need to get me started?

Been doing some reading and read the reviews on the Project Essential 2&3 and also the Rega Planar 2, look nice in the white and those Roth speakers would save on me buying an amp...

Thanks for the pointers so far gents, it's appreciated...

I have just been through this myself.....be warned, it is a slippery slope!!

I decided to buy used as I am the tinkering type, so not concerned with minor repairs, but also because you generally get more for your money.

If buying used and you want a turntable with a pre-amp (which you could use with active speakers) then a common budget suggestion would be the Audio Technica AT-LP120.

If you don't need a built in pre-amp then something like a Rega RP1 would be a good starting point. There are lots of new turntables out there for less money, but they will all have crude tonearms and cartridge/stylus setups which apply a (relatively) large force to your records.

If you are happy to go used then a Rega Planar 2 or 3 would be a good option. A Pioneer PL-12D is a nice sounding vintage deck for little money, my father in law has one and it sounds great. Spending more money you could look at Thorens TD 150/160/124, Lenco GL75, Ariston RD 80/111, Systemdek...........and many more - these decks can sound very good, but will usually need some work setting up or modifying to get the best from them.

I bought a Revolver 'The turntable' for £85 which in the 80's was a Rega Planar 2/3 equivalent - it came fitted with an ADC LMF-2 tonearm which was a reasonable tonearm from the 70's/80's - so all in all I felt like I got a half decent turntable for not too much money. It certainly sounds good to my ears!!

If you do buy used, consider the stylus to be unknown, so at least factor for a replacement stylus, or replacement cartridge/stylus if they are obsolete. Something like an AT95 is well recommended for around £40.

I'm hooked already..... :D

I think it would be wise to listen to a few speakers at a decent HiFi retailer before you buy the first speaker someone says is 'good' (including myself). Speakers are very subjective.. particularly once in the users room. This is why I suggested a few different makes from respected British manufacturers.

what is your budget? I am happy to scrounge through eBay and post some ideas on good used kit.

I would look for active speakers as already mentioned and not skimp too much on record deck, the records will be a significant amount of the overall cost of your system so start at least with something like a Rega Planar 2 for your records sake.

Master
    Rega would be a good starting point for vinyl. As others have said it's a slippery slope. My turntable, arm, cartridge would cost me in excess of 15k to replace.
    Best advice is to find a good audio dealer to put a system together for you. Don't go buying bits and pieces ad hock. System synergy is very important and a well tuned inexpensive system will easily outperform a bunch of more expensive individual items poorly matched.

I think it would be wise to listen to a few speakers at a decent HiFi retailer before you buy the first speaker someone says is 'good' (including myself). Speakers are very subjective.. particularly once in the users room. This is why I suggested a few different makes from respected British manufacturers.
    I agree, I'm going to have a drive around tomorrow and the next few days to see if I can look at some turntables and speakers. Wish I didn't have to buy an amp though lol...

I do like the reviews I have read though of the 2 mentioned turntables though, if they sound nice and look good I.m pretty sure I'll be looking to get one of those, it's just the other bits I need to go with it...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by amh82 View Post
    Something like an AT95 is well recommended for around £40.
    Second that - for the money, a nice clear bright sound, replaced one on an Ariston Icon II

...you see as someone said...it's a slippery slope

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I suppose it depends what you want out of it and how much money you want to throw at it.

Ive got a nice old 70s Rank Domus BA300 which goes through a vintage Sansui AU4400 amp with Monitor Audio speakers. I got them off a bloke at work who was clearing out his loft...still like the day they were made in the boxes etc etc etc. They sound great as far as I'm concerned.

Master
    When I was looking to get a turntable Rega and Pro-ject (don't recall the exact models but circa £ 200) were both on my shortlist. Ended up buying a Thorens as got a good price on it.
    OP take your time in deciding what to buy, took six months before dropping my money on the Thorens. Most important set a budget and stick to it. As with most "toys" law of inverse returns applies! Good suggestions from Mondie, Amh82 and I am late. Mine is a simple 2 channel set up with a turntable, universal player and amplifier. Active speakers are a good idea too, I personally have no experience of this.

Quote Originally Posted by sswiss View Post
    Second that - for the money, a nice clear bright sound, replaced one on an Ariston Icon II

...you see as someone said...it's a slippery slope
    I was planning to fit one to my Revolver when i bought it as it looked like it had an AT91 fitted....turns out it was an AT105 and oe stylus's were around £40.

Decided to bite the bullet and 'upgrade' - listened to lots of needledrops and nearly bought an AT440mlb, but was worried it would be too bright, so saved a few quid and bought a Nagaoka MP110....still tempted to try a 440 though.

Did I mention it was a slippery slope!?

Also, on the mention of amplification....again, depending on budget, you might be better served with something from the 70's or 80's when even budget amps had good quality phono stages.

My Yamaha AV amp doesn't have a phono stage so i was weighing up buying a cheap phono stage or just buy a half decent used amp.

I had an old Marantz PM44se that needed repair, but as luck would have it, my father in law had kept a lovely Pioneer SX-434 from 1976 in storage....it was mint, looks and feels lovely, and sounds great!!

As has been suggested, best to set a rough budget then it is easier to make recommendations :)

Grand Master
    for amps on a budget i'd look at NAD, older versions with phono stages can be picked up for peanuts on ebay. the 3020 in particular is very highly thought of. take a look at TDL RTL 2 or RTL3 speakers, massive bang for not a lot of cash used. where in the NE are you out of interest?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Thanks guys.

I really had and have no idea about these setups other than reading online and stuff what you guys were mentioning.

I really do like the look and every review of the Rega Planar 2 (in white is perfect for my colour scheme) which is around £375, anyone know if you can get cheaper anywhere?

For an amp I think £100 - £150 would be enough for me? If I'm way off let me know.

Finally the speakers if I don't go active I would think up to £300 for a set.

Feel free to recommend an amp and speakers, tbh I'm kinda set on my choice of turntable.

Now which will be my first vinyl purchase in 25 years haha...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    for amps on a budget i'd look at NAD, older versions with phono stages can be picked up for peanuts on ebay. the 3020 in particular is very highly thought of. take a look at TDL RTL 2 or RTL3 speakers, massive bang for not a lot of cash used. where in the NE are you out of interest?
    I'm just outside of Middlesbrough
    Last edited by Martylaa; 18th January 2017 at 20:57.

Grand Master
    OK i'm in hull, was just thinking i could solve your speaker dilemma if you were local. i have a set of TDL RTL 3 that still sound amazing but need cosmetically touching up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Thanks guys.

I really had and have no idea about these setups other than reading online and stuff what you guys were mentioning.

I really do like the look and every review of the Rega Planar 2 (in white is perfect for my colour scheme) which is around £375, anyone know if you can get cheaper anywhere?

For an amp I think £100 - £150 would be enough for me? If I'm way off let me know.

Finally the speakers if I don't go active I would think up to £300 for a set.

Feel free to recommend an amp and speakers, tbh I Nino I'm set on my choice of turntable.

Now which will be my first vinyl purchase in 25 years haha...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just outside of Middlesbrough
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Here's a suggested starting point from eBay, there isn't too much choice right now but these components would be a good match with a Planar 2.

Active ADAM speakers - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tolles-Ada...UAAOSwLF1YBb5y

I have run active ADAM's for seven years now, superb speakers and these monitors have the X-ART tweeter too which is a really excellent transducer.

Linn premp with inbuilt phono stage - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Prete...kAAOSwa~BYZ-uQ

A good solid state British made preamp with phono input.

Well gents appreciated all the advice but I've sorted my initial setup out now.
    I went for the :
    Rega Planar 1 White, Onkyo A-9010 amp and some Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers white, read loads of reviews and checked items out in the shops and now just waiting on them to arrive on Saturday.

Now to start hunting down some good vinyl LP's...

Sounds like a good sensible system, you sure didn't waste anytime making it happen!

Here is a good reference for your record buying - www.discogs.com

Master
    I went for the :

Large Sainsbury's have a small but decent selection...

Do Roth VA4 amps provide RIAA equalization?

Master
    I went for the :
    Rega Planar 1 White, Onkyo A-9010 amp and some Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers white, read loads of reviews and checked items out in the shops and now just waiting on them to arrive on Saturday.

Now's where the spending really starts!

Recently had my turntable serviced and new amp added, the whole thing feels lovely. Wish I'd have done it years ago!

Blog Entries
    Very slippery slope here... And recognisable for me. I started with stuff from Philips when I was 16 or so. After that, Dual turntable with Marantz, Pioneer and later Onkyo. Apart from the quality of the 'hardware', the looks are important too. e.g. NAD looks like Apple stuff from the Dark Side and then there's Inkel's older stuff. Gear up and you're entering Quad territory. Man, this brings back memories.

Menno

for amps on a budget i'd look at NAD, older versions with phono stages can be picked up for peanuts on ebay. the 3020 in particular is very highly thought of.
    Good recommendation. I have the 3020's successor, the 302. I've had it since the early 1990s and it hasn't missed a beat.

I went for the :

Cool, that's all you need.

Don't waste too much money on the equipment; other than the speakers, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference and the returns diminish rapidly. A lot of the mega-expensive cult hi-fi stuff sounds worse than what legitimate normal manufacturers offer, in fact.

It's much better to spend your effort on finding good albums from this point. Enjoy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Good recommendation. I have the 3020's successor, the 302. I've had it since the early 1990s and it hasn't missed a beat.
    OP seems sorted now, but for anyone else referencing this thread, another happy NAD 3020 owner here.

I now use its phono and preamp stage to feed couple of Cyrus monoblocks which it does to great effect (despite its age)

Yeah I'm happy with what I've purchased, looking forward to setting it all up over the weekend and sticking some vinyl lp's on the player.

Haven't done that since I was about 15 year old on my sisters hi-fi...

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Do Roth VA4 amps provide RIAA equalization?
    Yes, of course....

I have TDL RTL3s - bought over 20 years ago and the only part of my kit I haven't upgraded. Fantastic speakers. Mine are fed from a Linn Kolektor pre amp and Linn LK140 Power amp.

Craftsman
    Not read the entire thread but a few things to consider...

Depending on the amp you choose you may need a phono pre-amp. A phono pre-amp amplifies the sound before it gets to the main amp. Some amps have them inbuilt, some don't.

If you amp has a PHONO input then you are good to go. If not then you will need a pr-amp, ranging from £50 up to £2k. Pro-ject and Cambridge Audio make good ones for under £100.

I bought a used Pro-ject turntable but soon upgraded to the Carbon with 2M Red cartridge for £325.

Richer Sounds and Super-Fi will offer demos, just bear in mind that what it sounds like in a store wont reflect what your home is like - always best to test with headhones too.

Vinyl fares are good for used records, HMV and local audio shops are typically good too. 180g is heavier and IMO sounds better than standard vinyl.

Be aware though that it is addictive and you will be constantly upgrading.

oops just read the whole thread

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Not read the entire thread but a few things to consider...

Depending on the amp you choose you may need a phono pre-amp. A phono pre-amp amplifies the sound before it gets to the main amp. Some amps have them inbuilt, some don't.

If you amp has a PHONO input then you are good to go. If not then you will need a pr-amp, ranging from £50 up to £2k. Pro-ject and Cambridge Audio make good ones for under £100.

I bought a used Pro-ject turntable but soon upgraded to the Carbon with 2M Red cartridge for £325.

Richer Sounds and Super-Fi will offer demos, just bear in mind that what it sounds like in a store wont reflect what your home is like - always best to test with headhones too.

Vinyl fares are good for used records, HMV and local audio shops are typically good too. 180g is heavier and IMO sounds better than standard vinyl.

Be aware though that it is addictive and you will be constantly upgrading.
    Thanks the amp i have is everything i need, i'm gutted as i have the amp, turntable and some vinyl but the speakers aren't here until tomorrow lol...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    oops just read the whole thread
    thanks for the offer though, very kind of you

As for a good selection of vinyl try these
    www​.cob records .com

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    As for a good selection of vinyl try these
    www​.cob records .com
    Thanks for that I'll have a look.

I see there is a lot of reissue stuff on vinyl, some of the older 1st pressings appear very expensive so I'll b grabbing a few new re-issues this weekend.

Well just set everything up and tried a quick blast with Kings Of Leon Come Around Sundown...

It sounds superb, i think your supposed to let everything bed in but I'm well happy with the sound (hopefully the neighbours don't mind lol)

Thanks for all the advice all...

p.s excuse the manky carpet, wood flooring is en route lol...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 21st January 2017 at 15:36.

If your going for a wooden floor it maybe best you get yourself a big rug to help
    stop any echo

Here is my Setup

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    If your going for a wooden floor it maybe best you get yourself a big rug to help
    stop any echo
    I was about to says that!
    In a lighter vein, he'll also need soundtrap panels, speaker isolation (just in case the vibration from the speakers upset the turntable). There was a news report on some japanese guy who paid the council to change the transformer which supplied his house! Here's mine

Here's a bit of mine. Belligero will probably tell you it sounds crap because it has some 'cult' hi fi bits in it.........

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    stop any echo

Here is my Setup

One step ahead, also need some rubber things to go under the speakers they are en route...