closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think a date window is essential?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I much prefer to have a date. Then again it's a lot easier/faster setting a watch when there isn't one.

Master
    I think so but don't follow my own advice.
    I have 4 watches and only 2 have a date function.
    I prefer the look of them without but for a day to day wearer its pretty essential for me.

Craftsman
    ditto marks work for me :)

Used to think it was absolutely essential, then I bought this Explorer 1 and have changed my mind completely.
    Actually now gone right off date/day displays which is probably why I rarely wear my Tuna.

Yes. Essential. My missus asks me the date 2-3 times a day.

I don't like them at all.

I find them difficult to read and they spoil the symmetry of the dial.

A date is not essential on a watch, but I find that I miss it when I wear a watch without a date.

Strictly speaking, a date window is not essential even for a watch with a date function. In an analogue watch, the date may also be displayed with a pointer or a subdial. For digital watches, the date may be displayed in any number of ways, of course.

I find them difficult to read unless it's a big window....so no. I like them on the watches I have where I can actually see the date though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have quite a few watches and rotate them often, so a date can be a bit of extra hassle when setting the watch, but really that's a tiny issue. More important to me is how the date is implemented visually, I'm not a fan of the Rolex cyclops for example. Overall though I don't really mind, I have roughly the same number of watches with a date as without. I'm not sure that helps much!

This thread brings back 'happy' memories. When I first joined here I upset someone very badly by jokingly (or so I thought) suggesting that if they couldn't live without a date on their watch, perhaps they shouldn't be let out without supervision. So I'm not going to do that again.

Like a few others, I can't see the date without glasses any more, so it isn't important. Some of my watches have dates, but they're never set. Going back to the original problem though, whenever I sign in anywhere I just take the date from the last person who signed in. Problem solved. The watch you like looks great by the way.

That Junghans looks wonderful.

I have watches with and without dates. Aesthetically, I am not concerned either way. Practically it matters no more as I am now early retired.

When I used to be out and about for work the date business was not an issue. On pen-and-paper sign ins I would look at the date of the previous person to sign in as a guide or the receptionist would say, "it is the seventh" or whatever. On electronic sign-ins the date and time would be presented anyway before the visitor pass would be printed.

Now I can't read the date even with the cyclops,but I do like to keep the date correct. Because I am a weirdo.

We are a funny bunch.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    This thread brings back 'happy' memories. When I first joined here I upset someone very badly by jokingly (or so I thought) suggesting that if they couldn't live without a date on their watch, perhaps they shouldn't be let out without supervision. So I'm not going to do that again.
    My wife agrees with you.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Some of my watches have dates, but they're never set.
    Burn him!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Given a choice I would almost never have a date window. My Brietling for Bentley 6.75 had a dual-numeric window which was nicely positioned and I do like the Glashutte models with the same feature, but generally most watches with one look unbalanced to my eye, the window is often in the wrong position and I never use it to tell the date. Ever.

If you like it, get it. I was having the same thoughts, but I don't miss it in both my ND and my BBB. In fact these are my favorite watches now.

Like you I need to know the date a lot for work. If this is going to be your only watch then I guess you might want to go for one with a date. But if you love the watch then I would go for it, as you have your phone. It is a chronograph, so you could stop the chrono seconds hand pointing at the date in seconds and advance it one second every morning (not sure if that would affect the chrono mechanism on that model long term but it's an idea that other have suggested for the Speedy for example). I actually like the convenience of not having a date on my Speedmaster - much less faffing around.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I sometimes find that i pick a watch without a date because I cannot be bothered to set the date that morning. Odd really as it probably only takes 10 seconds more.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

No I don't.

Apprentice
    I prefer the symmetry of a watch dial without a date complication. That said I have tried a number of non date watches over the years and I always end up flipping them because I rely on my date window every day and I have just accepted that for me a date window is a necessity.

Craftsman
    I rather like a watch face with a date window and all my watches have always had one because I felt it was necessary.

No longer essential to me for two main reasons:

1. I have a Smart Phone like nearly everyone else on the planet
    2. As I'm close to 50 I'm now as blind as a bat so I can't see the date on the watch any more unless I hunt around for my reading glasses! Drives me nuts.

Old age is a terrible thing

Craftsman
    I tried wearing a watch without a date and couldn't cope with it. So now I wear one with a date. No big deal, there's plenty of choice out there for watches with dates :)

Craftsman
    Firstly - it's a beautiful watch. Given how much you like it, you would be regretting not buying it until you do :-)

About the date: there are watches which are thrown off balance with the date.
    If you really need to know the date so often during the day, you'd be surprised how much information (date in this case) you'll remember, when you become dependent on engaging some brain cells :-)

At the end of the day it is a personal preference, but I'd advice always to go the watch you like. Otherwise it can be a real itchy regret.

I like date features but I'm not in love with magnifiers.

Yes, for me the date is a must, prefer day/date as well!

I have tried and would like otherwise......no date; no go for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why is it the date is normally top, right or bottom of a dial and not on the left?

Apprentice

Do you think a date window is essential?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Why is it the date is normally top, right or bottom of a dial and not on the left?
    Well, the date would be upside down if it was at the left side ;-)

Master
    No but it's useful. Some of mine have a date (either pointer or window) some don't. When I wear a non-date I enjoy everything about that watch and don't miss the date.

Craftsman
    If as a daily yes.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Both my watches hav date, but like u I'm considering next watch without. I'd be interested to hear how u get on without ...

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I don't consider it essential, but I really miss it when it's not there. It makes me realise how often I actually glance at it!
    The same goes for me.

One of my main criteria's when getting a watch, is that it should have the date feature.

I wish that it wasn't so!
    As I would love to get an FP Journe CS :)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post
    Both my watches hav date, but like u I'm considering next watch without. I'd be interested to hear how u get on without ...

Right now I am at a jeweller looking at the Junghans. It's just wonderfull. Might get this one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I believe it has to do with half of the watch peeking out of your left sleeve, you still see the date. However it is not that useful if you wear you watch on your right hand. Thus some watches for lefties actually have their date window on the left side :-)

Craftsman
    My preference is for a watch without the date window as unless you are very disciplined the date often appears to be incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by matvkeulen@gmail.com View Post
    Right now I am at a jeweller looking at the Junghans. It's just wonderfull. Might get this one.

Did you?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    Did you?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Not yet because of the price. Already saw some better deals.

Master
    Yep, like several other I write the date a few times a day at work when signing documentation. Force of habit has me flipping the wrist over to look at the date (sometimes even if I'm signing 2 or 3 in a row one after the other and I already know what the date is!). It's a habit that I've tried to break, but alas I've come to the conclusion that a date window is a must for me.
    PRS82, Tudor Black Bay and Omega Speedmaster all moved on for this reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Symmetry in a dial is really important to me, so when a date window is introduced it generally breaks this, so personally I find them a massive turn off. Lost count of the number of great watches I've dismissed because they've awkwardly sitting date windows - the only way they work for me is at 6 o'clock and that's at a push. Of my collection of eight, only two have dates.

Need my glasses on now to see the date, so less pertinent. Pain to set if the watch has stopped. Prefer the dial symmetry. Explorer as a daily, and I do look for the date on the watch at least once a day! Not enough of an issue to revert to a date display watch tho'

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGarton View Post
    I have quite a few watches and rotate them often, so a date can be a bit of extra hassle when setting the watch, but really that's a tiny issue. More important to me is how the date is implemented visually, I'm not a fan of the Rolex cyclops for example. Overall though I don't really mind, I have roughly the same number of watches with a date as without. I'm not sure that helps much!
    I keep my watches with a date in the winder to avoid having to redo the date every time. But as you say, it's not really that big a deal. Plus I think "interacting" with a mechanical watch is part of the joy of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, absolutely! The only thing that in a watch is a no-go is the missing date.
    It really really puts me off. I wish Rolex could do a Milgauss/Explorer like 40mm watch with a date.

Journeyman
    Certainly needed

Banned
    I'm not a fan of the magnifier but a date feature is definitely useful

Craftsman
    Not essential, but highly desireable.

I've been wearing my Speedmaster Professional for the last couple of weeks now, and it is doable not having a date, but difficult. I will continue to wear the watch as I am really enjoying it on the bracelet (for years been on leather strap) - but when I need to know the date, I check other sources.

Not essential but occasionally handy.

Best of both worlds?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I much prefer to have a date on my watch, and although I have bought non date watches in the past, I have none now. I am always forgetting the date too and find myself looking at my watch for it and being annoyed (or feeling stupid) when it is not displayed
    Things change quickly around here. Hopefully this one stays for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by andy111s View Post
    Not essential but occasionally handy.

Best of both worlds?

However you look at an EZM1, the date is illegible. It would have been better in this case for Sinn not to have bothered. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan, but the date function is probably the biggest negative of the watch
    Last edited by Dr Wolff; 29th January 2017 at 10:32.

Blog Entries
    Only on a watch that is supposed to have a date window. ;-)

What are your thoughts on this? Any people regretting buying a dateless watch?
    It's not a must-have or must-avoid feature for me. It all depends on on the watch in question.

It can be handy having the date (and day of the week sometimes) on my watch but it's rarely the only source of such information so it is not critical that all my watches should have a date or day complication.

Journeyman

I really like a date window on a 'for work watch' I'm a constant note taker and the day always starts with the date in my note book. At the weekend I like to wear a non date because a date always reminds me of a work day. Similar to comments above even when I'm wearing a non date at work I still check it for the date it's a habit that's difficult to stop. In pure aesthetic terms a symmetrical dual is always preferable.

If it was an only watch, then I'd prefer a date. I have lots of non-date watches and never seem to miss the date when I'm wearing those though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Apprentice
    Well, I bought the Junghans I mentioned earlier. And regret it. It looked so good at the shop, but now when I'm home, I am unsure if the connection is there. Don't get me wrong, it looks great. Has nothing to do with a date window. Have a look.

Maybe it's too elegant for my taste. So I am selling it again, lose some money and save up for a Monaco. I've owned one and that watch was just perfect.