closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ever bought something just because it was a good deal?

Ever bought something just because it was a good deal?

I find myself in a strange situation. I've never really felt drawn towards this brand, but got carried along with the hype of a 50% off deal. Now I'm not sure how to feel about it. See I've wanted a white faced diver for a while, so there's one check, general opinion is they are great quality for the money so that's another check. I think I've been mainly put off by the brand/identity. I guess the 60 day return policy or ease of flipping quickly for price paid help ease the confusion. Maybe I'll love it when it arrives....

Master
    Yes just ordered a Citizen GPS watch that i have looked at for months.

RRP £750 and reduced for one day at Amazon to £375 so 50% off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I saw the title thread and thought "yes"

I opened and thread and thought "yes mine was a CW at 50% off too"

I sold it within six months

I always consider the 'good deals' carefully (long life cynic I guess).

Often it is because:-

1. They are not selling well (dealer) and it's time to move stock on to make way for something that will.

2. 'Fire Sale' where there is an urgent need to raise funds - this situation can be very beneficial for the buyer IME

3. Seller has a specific requirement for another watch and is 'fishing' by a specific 'good deal' tied into their want.

4. Seller has no idea on market value.

There are probably a few more people will add.

Enjoyed lots of good deals over the years (mostly on here TBH).

My best was a few years ago which was a brand new Omega X33 with all the bits - £995, which I subsequently traded with a member on here for a load of camera equipment.

Sometimes the deal is too good to pass off..................
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Never JUST because it was, but often it's been the tipping point.

I've bought a couple of watches from CW when on sale, but both were ones I'd considered before the sale.

One I still have (A Makaira bought at 50% off) and the other I sold (A mk1 Trident with the orange bezel - I still think they look great in photos, but it never really clicked with me - I sold it for more or less what I paid for it 18 months later, so a good experience).

I've been tempted to good looking watches on SC that I had no previous knowledge of, but I've always been drawn to the watch, rather than thinking "That's a good deal!" first.

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I saw the title thread and thought "yes"

I opened and thread and thought "yes mine was a CW at 50% off too"

I sold it within six months
    Snap. Although I have to admit that I bought several in the one sale with every intention of flipping them all on eBay for an easy profit. Unfortunately loads of other people had the same bad idea so I just and only got my money back. I was never impressed enough with any of them to keep them.

I also recently impulse bought another watch when it popped up at 50% off but I had been thinking about that one for a while and i'll be keeping it. For a while at least.

Yes. Usually shoes which is why I have 40 pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

My reply to this question is "almost"! I'd been watching that very same Citizen.. not really needing/wanting it but you know... GPS for under £400?! Bargain! Decided to give in to find that Amazon had bumped it back up to over £500! Still not in stock I see either.

Apprentice
    yep do it all the time, love a discount, especially shoes/trainer (a good 35+ pairs) and jumpers.

I was also in the market for a Chris ward watch which was handy when this sale started, also thinking about an orange bezel version on the internet now if the price is right, love these watches!

Master
    All the time, hence why I flip so many. Mostly losing money!!!

Mind you, the CW you have ordered is a fantastic buy. IMO they are worth every penny of their full price :0)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Watches not so much unless it's a mates rates one that takes my fancy.
    Bags im a slag for though.

So at least I'm not alone then. I'm actually quite looking forward to it now. You don't really get much for £330 in the 300m Swiss Auto diver with high quality build and finishing segment usually. The more I think about it, the ratcheting clasp, sapphire, ceramic etc etc, it really was a good deal.

Yes, I bought these two in an Amazon sale in order to raffle them here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-UHF-both-BNIB!.
    Still 2.5 days to go .

Saw a good deal on the Bulova Moonwatch, which made me go for it. I had tried it on earlier in the year on a bracelet and whilst i loved the watch it looked huge. I bought it on the strap and nato looks great... but if it hadn't it would have gone back instantly.

A deal is only a deal if you truly like what you are buying or would have considered it at full price, the compromises you may make are always going to be there and perhaps start to nag more as time moves on.

Btw i think the OP Chr.Ward trident looks fab, don't jump to any conclusions until it's sitting on your wrist.

Master
    Blog Entries

That's a great price for that citizen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    That's a great price for that citizen.
    Couldn't believe it when I saw it at that price. Ordered 10th Jan and not yet delivered but no reason to expect it won't. Email confirmation of price of £374.50 so worth the wait.

Master
    Yes this

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have bought several watches because the price seemed good, but I'm not good at hanging on to watches (or good at business) so usually pass them on at a loss!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Yes this
    Yes, I did that too, but soon sold it on, at a loss. So a friend got a good price. It is a fine watch, but rather big. In fact, very big.

Craftsman
    Yep, as has been said already, shoes are a deal vice of mine, along with golf equipment.

I am sure many more people will be along soon highlighting the Braun deal on Secret Sales some months ago, it seems that everyone bought one on here!!

Well, since this seems to be a thread of like minded addicts/suckers... I'm poised on this Bulova Accutron II: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J3525...R42H9ENN&psc=1

It hit a lower price once before (in the £130's), but at £155.. I'm once again tempted!

Master
    I used to do that but I'm over it now, hopefully.

All the time, I love a bargain but more importantly I hate losing money and lose interest in a watch very quickly so by buying at 40-50% off I have never failed to get my money back when selling and enjoy owning many watches albeit for a short time

Master
    Blog Entries
    Couldn't believe it when I saw it at that price. Ordered 10th Jan and not yet delivered but no reason to expect it won't. Email confirmation of price of £374.50 so worth the wait.
    They are nice looking watches but yet to see one in the flesh. I've always wanted the f100

Think it's a great looking watch.

Master
    My problem is 'have I ever not bought anything just because I considered it to be a good deal!'

Master
    As you brought up the brand ID..

I really don't ge the Christopher Ward branding myself and it seems a real issue with a lot of people reading about them for the past few years on wus.

I heard recently they were rebranding and was actually quite hopeful but the new branding is just as bad! I really don't get why they didn't just create some logo out of the C and W and maybe even use their trident spear as the W or something. I'm sure someone could have come up with something decent.

The name would stop me buying one.

The new rebrand really does look awful, but I have to say the thought of a Trident 300 quartz for £240 as a day to day wear has been tempting!

Ever bought something just because it was a good deal?

I do this all the time. Just before Christmas I bought a Hamilton in the Ashford sale just because it was less than half price and I'm now contemplating this Alpina just because it's half off. Never wanted it previously. To me it's the excuse to myself for yet another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Croftrock View Post
    I do this all the time. Just before Christmas I bought a Hamilton in the Ashford sale just because it was less than half price and I'm now contemplating this Alpina just because it's half off. Never wanted it previously. To me it's the excuse to myself for yet another.

Exactly, same here! That Alpina is gorgeous by the way

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Alpina's have seen some truly huge reductions lately, following in the footsteps of Gylcine & JeanRichard

Stop it. You're going to make me buy it. I missed out on the Speedy Tuesday by about 30 seconds and I need something to stem the fury!

It's nice though isn't it? Grey with rose gold hands isn't something I've ever considered ..... nor have I considered Alpina....but it's gnawing at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Croftrock View Post
    Stop it. You're going to make me buy it. I missed out on the Speedy Tuesday by about 30 seconds and I need something to stem the fury!

It's nice though isn't it? Grey with rose gold hands isn't something I've ever considered ..... nor have I considered Alpina....but it's gnawing at me.

Go for it, if your getting it for a bargain price, it's easily sold if you don't like it.

Go for it, if your getting it for a bargain price, it's easily sold if you don't like it.
    Do you think so? I didn't know what people thought about Alpina so, figured I might be stuck with it if I didn't bond with it.

But when I look at this review I think I probably will like it.

http://wornandwound.com/review/alpin...c-41-5-review/

I've always looked at it strictly from a business perspective: can I sell it for more than I'm buying it?

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I've always looked at it strictly from a business perspective: can I sell it for more than I'm buying it?
    I am generally happy to get my money back and not make a loss. The way I see it I got to enjoy it for free

Master
    The only thing I'd say is that a £500 here and a £500 bargain there might stop you picking up a £1500 bargain (where you may pick up a real keeper) it's only a bargain if you intended to buy that model and can now see it with a decent discount. Otherwise you are being baited to spend your cash. Proceed with caution.

I agree up to a point. However the beauty of watches is that if looked after and bought at the right price they generally hold value. So if that more expensive 'keeper' pops up they can be sold to raise funds

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    No, this rule should only apply to women.

Journeyman
    Thick end of 1400 quid since november on two Jeanrichards and an Edox which I must admit I always liked but only got because they were bargains. RRP on the same 3 watches if I got them from EJ and Amazon ( only places that have these) would be 5200 quid

Craftsman
    I did this recently when I got 50% off a Grand Seiko - I wouldn't recommend it as a good reason to buy a watch you intend to keep though. In my case it turned out alright because I really fell in love with the watch when it arrived; I think it could have gone either way though, I always like to really lust after (and do a lot of research on) a piece before I finally decide to go for it.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    yeah i have couple times, bought a bell and ross (now gone) and a seiko diver too from good sales

Apprentice
    I am generally happy to get my money back and not make a loss. The way I see it I got to enjoy it for free
    I am with you.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I am new to collecting but have learned a great deal here already.

SC is cheaper than any dealer but I am not looking for bargains as I see them as keepers.

Good point below about spending a few hundred here and there and then not having funds for the one you want!

I have a lot to learn here.

Journeyman
    I have just done this with almost 50% off a nomos Neomatik. The problem i have is that I constantly see watches I like and it makes it hard to choose between watch styles, brands, models and model variations... the price reduction is as a good a reason as any.

To the OP I got this Chris Ward as a gift when I was best man for a friend. I have changed strap but have grown to love the watch and it gets more wrist time than other more expensive watches in my collection... there's just something about it and no complaints with the build quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    They are nice looking watches but yet to see one in the flesh. I've always wanted the f100

Think it's a great looking watch.
    Looks very nice - I've found myself googling it now

Well lesson learned, it's not the watch for me, though it is quite lovely for the price.

I've listed it on SC but will be returning in a few days if nobody that missed out wants it.