closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jura coffee machines - anybody own one?

Master

Jura coffee machines - anybody own one?

I'm considering changing from Nespresso (nice & simple) to a bean to cup jobbie and the E6 seems to fit the bill. Is it worth the faff?

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I'm considering changing from Nespresso (nice & simple) to a bean to cup jobbie and the E6 seems to fit the bill. Is it worth the faff?
    Had the same one ( f70 ) for 8 years .....has broken down twice, but the servicing is relatively cheap and fast.

No real faff other than running it through a cleaning cycle once every so often .

I've had other automatics (from Gaggia) which were awful , but this is a great machine............I do miss my original Gaggia Classic manual machine , but cant beat the automatic for sheer convenience.

Master
    Friend of mine got a Bean - cup Jura a few years ago (cheaper model) and it's been fine. They still need cleaning tho'. I use a Gaggia Classic and a seperate grinder but I don't have as much time as I used to and would prefer Nespresso! The Jura came out well in a survey a while back.

Master
    What do you perceive as the faff?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    What do you perceive as the faff?
    Ha, cleaning out the innards, fiddling around with frothers and disposing of dregs. Seems the Jura almost eliminates first two hassles though but would be useful if it vaporised the leftovers. Maybe one day...

Master
    Okay... not a Jura but I had a bean to cup delonghi magnifica (purchased on a whim 'cause 'her indoors' wanted to try a better cup of coffee and she couldn't get her head around the Classic) and I spent a LOT of time cleaning out the insides. In fact I spent more time per cup maintaining the bean-to-cup that I do on my Classic and the Classic gives a better coffee. I'm not 100% putting down bean-to-cup machines but I came away with the conclusion that you need to spend a lot of money in order to get a good one. Maybe one of the upper end Jura models would be better like the F8. I'd want to try one out before putting my money down.

Master
    I've been looking at the Jura E8 recently. Bit of a gimmick with the bluetooth, but I like that you can set different drink profiles on the app for different users, a little like car memory seats I guess!

I still can't get my head around exactly what the differences are between all their bean to cup machines though - there's loads of models which all seem to do the same thing.

Big user of Jura machines.
    At work we have two machines which replaced previous two Jura machines.
    One is a Giga X9 Professional, the other is a Z7 Impressa which used to be my home machine.
    At home I have a Giga 5 which replaced the Z7 prior to that I had a Z5.
    To make the best use of Jura machines you need three accessories.
    If you like espresso then you need a cup warmer to warm the espresso cups as putting a small amount of coffee into a cold espresso cup leads to espresso which is not hot enough.
    For cappuccino you ideally need a milk cooler and need to use semi skimmed milk. I have the Cool Control at home but at work we use the Professional Cooler. The Wireless and Bluetooth connections are a bit of a gimmick - we have never used them. You also need to either warm the cups like the espresso cups or get some Bodum Pavina double walled coffee cups.
    Cleaning wise, the milk system is the thing that takes the most looking after and you need to clean this daily if you like cappuccino/latte. Set the machine up to immediately rinse as it reduces milk deposits.
    Bean wise we have tried lots of beans from all over the world - the machines work well with all beans but make sure they are not oily as this can damage the grinders. We tend to stick to either Illy Coffee Beans or Lavazza Coffee beans both of which work well in the machines.

At work we have also had other bean to cup machines from Delonghi and Gaggia - the Jura ones are far better.

Master
    Friends I spent Xmas with have have a Jura bean_to_cup one (I forget which model). Maybe 10 yrs old IIRC.

Not cheap. But I have to say I was impressed and it's something I'd consider in future for sure.

I have an Ena 3 and it is good and very compact for a Bean to Cup machine - the reservoirs are a reasonable size too.

Negatives are you need the full Jura kit both for cleaning (which is good and seems to work well) but I would say also for Capuccino as I found the standard attachment not that great. If you only want the odd Capuccino is a bit of a pain as have to clean it all through afterwards too.

I also dislike you can only program one cup level on mine so not so good if you have various users.

I would say overall ease of use is excellent and if you stick with the Jura tablets for cleaning is very low maintenance but make sure you check the features carefully as mine is less featured in that respect than previous Gaggia bean to cup machine.

Coffee output is good however and it is very quiet and efficient in use - very Swiss !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I've been looking at the Jura E8 recently. Bit of a gimmick with the bluetooth, but I like that you can set different drink profiles on the app for different users, a little like car memory seats I guess!

I still can't get my head around exactly what the differences are between all their bean to cup machines though - there's loads of models which all seem to do the same thing.
    Just got back from a trip to the Jura shop near Baker Street. The E8 does the cappuccino at the touch of the display where on the E6 you have to twist a dial. Costs £300 more though. The rest of the internals are the same.
    Pricier models make macchiatos and lattes automatically although I don't drink those. The only problem are the costs of the necessary extras like their own inclusive water filters, cleaning tablets and descaling tablets. So maintanence costs are not cheap. Yet to decide...

Master
    I used a Nespresso for years and added a Jura bean to cup machine a year ago. Mine is one of the smaller, less automated models. Of course, it all depends on the quality of the coffee you choose. I rather like the single-estate ones that I get from HasBean. So far, so good. It needs descaling every now and again and cleaning too but has onboard programs to cope with those. The Claris Blue filters last 2 months and cost about a tenner on Amazon but they do protect the machine from limescale to a certain extent. I like it and would certainly recommend it.
    Last edited by pluseditor; 17th January 2017 at 13:57.

I've got a Jura, had it for 2 years, been nothing but trouble if I'm honest.

It wasn't the most expensive one, £700 if I recall correctly, but it's been back to base 3 times and now its out of warranty it has started making cups of coffee on it's own and I refuse to pay to have the thing repaired :-(

I have a Delonghi in the office, proper work horse, hasn't missed a beat since I've owned it!

We have a Jura S9, and it's very firmly in the "if anything ever happened to it, I'd buy another one" category.

I only drink black coffee, so I don't have any faffing about with the milky bits. Just throw some coffee beans (oily are fine, but they can stick and you need to stir them around a bit) and water in, and empty the grounds when it tells you to.

It's not been totally trouble free. The first time we got it serviced by Jura (which cost around £200), but since then I've stripped it down and replaced a couple of parts - they are all available on eBay and there are various service manuals on the internet. Internal build quality is high, so working on them isn't too bad.

Master
    There is an Amazon flash deal on a Jura IMPRESSA F8 £620 - sale for another 11 hours. Camel Camel Camel suggests it's a decent deal. http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Jura-I...context=browse

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jura-IMPRES...0TDHVHHATX0YNX

We have an Ena Micro One, gets absolutely battered day in and day out, was well worth the money.

I've had a Jura ENA 1 for a few years now - got it to replace a Gaggia Classic.
    Use it everyday, and it is excellent. Less mess and faffing than the Gaggia, but also you get consistent coffee all the time.
    I liked having the Gaggia, but you didn't always get a great cup of coffee every time.

Quote Originally Posted by RichUK View Post
    We have an Ena Micro One, gets absolutely battered day in and day out, was well worth the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    I've had a Jura ENA 1 for a few years now - got it to replace a Gaggia Classic.
    Use it everyday, and it is excellent. Less mess and faffing than the Gaggia, but also you get consistent coffee all the time.
    I liked having the Gaggia, but you didn't always get a great cup of coffee every time.
    This is the model I have I think, with the flat touch sensitive top?

I have had no end of troubles with mine, it even makes coffee on it's own now! I have spoken to Service as it is out of warranty now and I'm reluctant to pay to get it fixed, there technical help was the heat from the kitchen undercounter lighting is making the machine think someone is pushing the button for a coffee!

I haven't had a solid "puck" in the disposal bin for months regardless of grind setting (Service told me this was a bad sign), coffee still tastes great though so will plod on until it breaks properly.

Master
    Just got back from a trip to the Jura shop near Baker Street. The E8 does the cappuccino at the touch of the display where on the E6 you have to twist a dial. Costs £300 more though. The rest of the internals are the same.
    Pricier models make macchiatos and lattes automatically although I don't drink those. The only problem are the costs of the necessary extras like their own inclusive water filters, cleaning tablets and descaling tablets. So maintanence costs are not cheap. Yet to decide...
    Was up in town (visit to Rolex St James - that's another story) and made a detour to the Jura showroom. Only called in to get some more info on the E8, but ended up walking out having succumbed.

For info, they have some room for manoeuvre on prices. List on the E8 (in the colour I wanted) is £1100, but I happen to know that Selfridges have the chrome version on sale at £990 right now. I wanted the 'dark inox' version (like a dark matt titanium) and as well as matching the price they offered a free Cool Control (milk cooler) and I even got some free coffee and free delivery too (could've walked away with it but they're bloody heavy!).

Apprentice
    I recently bought Jura E8, which is completely worth the faff. I ordered it from a commercial coffee machine Canada. Actually I upgraded from the E6. Talking about the E6. It has a capacity of nearly 2 liters. And it doesn’t require any special cabinets to house external water sources, and nor does it require a plumbed-in solution. E6 is perfect for both office and home. It fits perfectly.
    Now, about the E8, you can adjust the brew strength by the touch of a single button.(once for mild, twice for medium, thrice for a stronger one). You can select the cup size by using the rotary selection button. It has also got 6 levels to grind the coffee beans, so you can have the personalised brew. It has got the indicator which shows when it needs to be removed, which makes it easy to track nad monitor how many cups of coffee the machine has made. So, if you are ever thinking of upgrading… E8 is your thing…

We bought a Jura Impressa F50 12 years ago, it is used every day. Last time I looked they were circa £1,500. The advantage we have found with the Jura is that they are commercial units as seen in Pubs and coffee shops, so the grinding mec etc are standard across the range.

We clean and descale the machine regular with Jura tablets and have found a chap who has service contracts with a number of commercial outlets that also services individual machines.

At first we thought it was a massive outlay, we paid £800, however if you compare the cost over the numerous coffee shops we have covered the cost, we also don't have to advertise for them.

It's been fun over the years trying out different coffee beans.

Get one you'll never regret it.

Master
    I’d hope the op has already made his coffee machine choice and not been without coffee for a year...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I’d hope the op has already made his coffee machine choice and not been without coffee for a year...
    Yes I have. Being a cheapskate and not knowing how much it would get used I bought a delonghi Magnifica for about £250 which does the job fairly decently. However I’m using it about 5 times a day so when it goes tits up I’ll invest in a Jura. They’re pulse action delivery may have the edge.

Yes I have. Being a cheapskate and not knowing how much it would get used I bought a delonghi Magnifica for about £250 which does the job fairly decently. However I’m using it about 5 times a day so when it goes tits up I’ll invest in a Jura. They’re pulse action delivery may have the edge.
    I had a Gaggia pod thing but found it was getting expensive, so I bought a £300 Phillips bean to cup from John Lewis, I couldn’t justify the Jura. But when the Philips broke I found a link to the Jura outlet, they list all the units they have and give a breakdown of how many cups they’ve made.

I rang the outlet and they were really helpful, told me about what they had in stock and why, turns out when Costco do a promotion they always get a lot back so I bought an Impressa F8 that hadn’t even been used for £450.00 delivered. The guy said it had probably been bought then the buyer decided it was to big.

I love it.

Craftsman
    I have a delongi, bought three years ago now, works extremely well, use a water filter with it and regular descaling (just going to do it now) nothing has broken and it works as well sit did on day one, well that's the kiss of death then, however I wouldn't hesitate to get another though. Cheers, John B4

We've had a Delonghi magnifica S for about 8-9 years now and it seems indestructible, the odd wobble has been down to abuse and heavy usage

Try and use filtered water with it, the filters for standard jugs are cheaper than the filters that go in the reservoir, decals seems to come around a lot, and the inside gets mucky, brother is a waste of time, just don't bother and buy a separate milk brother like a dualit https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...d_i=3544841031

But it makes a 1/2 decent cup of coffee, is easy to operate, and cost about £250

When it goes bang I'm tempted by the Jura A1

I have a Gaggia bean to cup, but Jura seem to be slightly more "industrial" (better made) than the Gaggia ones.

That said - many of them use the same or similar chassis/components.

Like all bean-cup machines - you have to be careful when stripping them for cleaning, as there are lots of micro-switches within, and lots of moving parts in the removable modules.

Jura S2 here.

No real issues, parts are expensive, especially if you use the filters but luckily I found a good independent chap to service it, Jura want about £250 for service and basic repair plus their drop off points are miles away. Only had two issues where seals have gone but for a 8 year old machine that's not bad going.

Still makes a great cuppa.