closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Business Class BA vs. Virgin UC opinions please

Craftsman

Business Class BA vs. Virgin UC opinions please

I have a big birthday coming up in June this year and am looking to fly Business Class to LAX from LHR.

BA and Virgin are pretty much the same cost but does anyone have first hand experience at both and care to share their opinions ?

The Virgin lounge looks lovely and the Dreamliner looks to have a nice clean, contemporary feel, I'm just not sure those seats / personal space look big enough, plus I couldn't see much storage. Also, did I read somewhere that they're either a sit up chair with a footrest or a lie flat bed with no in-between ? The (so called) bar looks a bonus and is at least somewhere to stretch the legs for an hour or so mid flight.

Whilst BA looks to have more personal space and storage, I'm not keen on the forward / backward seat layout, the interior looks a little dated and the IFE looked laggy on YouTube videos.

There are two of us travelling if that makes a difference. Outbound=daytime. Inbound=overnight.

Another random shout is Air New Zealand who apparently have a good BC service too.

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

Sent using Tapatalk which I still don't really know how to use properly !

I travel a lot on business and the lie flat seats in Virgin are way ahead of the odd seats in BA for me. I've had no problem with storage in either.

Haven't flown with BA, but I do Virgin UC quite a bit, and have done BC on other airlines with more conventional seating. As you mention, the seats are strange as they recline to a point, but then you have to flip the seatback to create a completely flat bed (and it is flatter than on the reclining seats), and I must say it is a faff as I'd often prefer something in between (but it is still pretty great). The isolated cubicles are fantastic for privacy and comfort and their herringbone layout makes it really convenient to get in and out and to be served, etc. For a single traveller I would say it's the best option, but it does make it more difficult to chat with your co-passenger since the walls of the cubicles are quite high. Storage is an issue only if you sit close to the nose of the aircraft in the 747 (the front 4 seats get very little storage), but I don't recall any issues on the Dreamliner. Speaking of which, the windows on the Dreamliner are fantastic as they are quite large, but that is a bit lost in Upper as you are positioned facing diagonally away from them. But the dreamliner is the newest plane in the fleet, so they feel fresh, modern and the toilets in UC are much larger. Food is generally very good for aeroplane stuff (considering that they have to overcook steak, etc.), desserts excellent, and the service is generally pretty great as they are a lot less formal than other airlines. The bar is kind of a weird one to be honest as I feel it's a gimmick more than anything else, but I see a lot of people using it, so I must be missing the point. It's still my first choice of airlines.

Club Lounge in London is excellent. I tend to get a haircut and some food every time, which really starts any trip on a great note. The Virgin lounge at the LAX is, while small, quite good too, with the best food I've ever had in an airport (kimchi tacos were incredible, no excuses needed).

Master
    Personally I prefer Virgin by quite a lot. The bed lay out is great. I'm not really a fan of the BA seat configuration myself but if you're going with your partner that might not be an issue.

I've flew Heathrow to la with ba club world twice in the 747
    We sat upstairs. Seats great as you face each other so can chat or just sleep.
    Service was excellent
    We had a massage in the lounge before the flight
    Andy

New BA cabins coming soon

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have used both and would recommend Virgin. At LHR, on many routes Virgin also gives you the option of having a chauffeured car pick you up and take you through the private drive-through check in and security channel. It sounds better than it actually is, in fairness, but it's a nice little perk.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all of the information guys, sounds like a no brainer going with VA.

Looks like I had some confusion around the chair / bed situation. It sounds like the chair does recline, but in order to get the lie-flat you need to turn it over to turn it into a bed.

Unfortunately the Chauffeur service is only for the flexible UC tickets which are £2.5k more than the standard price of a regular UC ticket !!!

Craftsman
    Virgin all the way for comfort and service

BA are bobbins these days. Virgin much better.

I agree with what others have said. VA all the way.

Of course, if Emirates or Thai was also flying there it might bring a different answer.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

BA have fallen way behind, you may as well fly Monarch.

Virgin do it much better.

Master
    This thread has made for some interesting reading. The last time I flew Virgin (albeit economy) it was dreadful in every way possible. Whereas BA, where I have flow Business, has always been a very pleasant experience. But then again, with a change of job 3 years ago I barely fly any more so BA could certainly have gone downhill since then.

BA CW product has been overtaken by most airlines these days. Cuts have been implemented across the board at BA.
    The new CW product from BA is not arriving soon and is only planned for the newer planes i.e. the A350.
    Virgin Upper class would be the better option than BA CW but an even better option would be to take AA 77W in J to LAX. Better seat, better cabin, better food onboard, better IFE, better lounge at both locations with the new AA flagship lounges. Onboard wifi too and if you are a BA Exec Club member you still get your Avios and Tier Points.
    Last edited by chris56; 17th January 2017 at 12:24.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Of course, if Emirates or Thai was also flying there it might bring a different answer.
    I flew Emirates last year on the A380, and got bumped to Business which was nice. Real luxury compared to Economy and the bar area broke up the journey. Managed to upgrade to Business on the way back too for a reasonable fee which was a nice end to the holiday and got some sleep in on an overnight.

Have heard Qatar is very good too.

Craftsman
    I have flown business with both Qatar and Emirates and they are both good. Qatar for the in-flight experience which is amazing in my opinion (quality food on-demand from a lengthy menu, in flight entertainment, a bar area on the A380 that makes Emirate's look prehistoric). Emirates for the out of flight experience; lounges, chauffeur service etc. Qatar hub airport is significantly better and newer than Dubai.

Aware that neither of these airlines relate to the OP's question. For me I'd say Virgin is a better shout than BA.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Choose one that has a defibrillator on board & somebody trained to use it. Otherwise you're dead if you suffer a cardiac arrest in flight. Both BA & Virgin do afaik.

Don't travel with old people. They're more likely to need the defibrillator.

Master
    I've flown a lot with both airlines over the last few years on business and I'd say Virgin now edge it. I do like the club world service on the upper deck of the 747 though. However I presume you're not a status holder so would have to pay to reserve those seats (yep, even when you buy a business class ticket). BA has gone on a massive cost cutting push in the last couple of years and it really shows now. Sad. I'm working my way through an enormous stockpile of Avios

Qatar / Emirates are miles ahead. I flew in first to India on Emirates recently and it was superb. Shame they don't fly West from the uk!

Travel with your own defibrillator, pre-wired, and make sur whoever you're travelling with is an eminent heart surgeon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Travel with your own defibrillator, pre-wired, and make sur whoever you're travelling with is an eminent heart surgeon.
    I don't think the heart surgeon is necessary. Just somebody who can follow the very simple instructions that the defibrillator is verbally giving them.

It's a shame CPR & the use of an automated external defibrillator isn't taught in schools actually. It could potentially save a lot of lives. It's estimated that about 1000 people worldwide die of a cardiac arrest on a flight each year. If you suffer a cardiac arrest, for every minute that you aren't defibrillated, your chances of survival reduce by around 10 per cent. The plane isn't going to be able to divert & land anywhere in time for the victim's life to be saved.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been Virgin UC a few times and was always good. BA all I ever hear now is how bad the service and food is. I know this wont help you but Qatar Airways Business is way ahead of both Virgin and BA our recent trip to HK was amazing
    Last edited by hilly10; 17th January 2017 at 14:37.

Yup, BA ain't what it was. They were the first with the flatbed but they've not improved on it since and been overtaken by most other airlines. Never having flown Virgin but I've heard nothing but good reports on American Airlines new business class, although you'd have to check that the route and aircraft operating has it.

Master
    Not flown with a Virgin Upper Class but flew BA Business Class A380 LHR to HK & it was disappointing, the seating/flat bed layout is poor, you have to step over your neighbour legs to goto the toilet.
    The flat bed was not full length, your feet actually rest on a drop down foot rest and the hot food was bland & overcooked, BA doing things on the cheap.

Banned
    I call BA bloody Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    I call BA bloody Awful.
    It used to be BOAC, which allegedly stood for 'Better On A Camel', so worthy of its heritage?

Master
    Blog Entries
    BA in all cabins are truly crap and laggards in the industry - Virgin UC offer much better value. Enjoy your trip - don't book BA!

Echo that Qatar are No 1 when going East IMHO

Years ago it was BA no contest, these days it's Virgin all the way. I sat next to Roger Daltrey in BA. Not sat next to anyone famous with Virgin.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    IMO not really.

It depends on what plane you get. Some of the virgin planes have small lie flat beds - smaller than the offering from BA - apparently, some have bigger seats, I have not experienced this. BA again comes down to the plane, Dreamliner is lovely and upstairs on the A380 on BA is very nice with loads of space. The bar on Virgin is sometimes an afterthought that just looks out of place.

BA used to be a lot better the food used to be so much better, now it is hit and miss. The Galleries at Heathrow is very impressive and fun (IMO) compared to the BA lounges.

Emirates business, I, unfortunately, use quite a bit, it is not very good unless on a380.
    Thai business offering average - Eva Air actually has IME one of the best business products.

Not flow Air NZ but apparently, it is very good.

BA is way down the list for me, after several poor flights. Virgin is great, however Air New Zealand is fantastic, so don't overlook them. For me it would be a tie between ANZ and Virgin, with cost being the decider. It's a shame BA now seem to be universally avoided by most...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just to comment on the 'best business class' stuff posted. I travel J class 20 times a year and the best airlines are the Asian/Arab ones. EVA Air is now outstanding. Emirates overrated as the bed is too narrow. Qatar good but on a Far Eastern flight the 2 legs of 6.5 hours arent long enough yo have a meal, watch a film and then sleep. Check out 'The Residence' on Etihad if yiu have a spare £30k or so to soend on a flight.

Thai has gone downhill. Cathay Pacific is always good. Garuda Indonesia terrific when they aren't busy crashing the plane. Likewise Malaysian. Those are IMHO the best. Qantas and BA are garbage. Virgin is decent enough. Check out the Air New Zealand option.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Not flown BA business class but have done virgin and emirates on the dream liner. Only tip I'd give is Make sure your not near the bar area if you want to sleep.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mrs T-7 travels on business a lot. Worst airline in her experience has been Emirates. Unless you're an Arab. Seemingly deliberately slowing everybody else up passing through Dubai, notwithstanding that she also managed to set off the machine which detects explosives on your person & nearly got strip-searched

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    Years ago it was BA no contest, these days it's Virgin all the way. I sat next to Roger Daltrey in BA. Not sat next to anyone famous with Virgin.
    Some years ago (I guess about 8 or 9) I sat next to Elle Macpherson in Virgin Upper Class Heathrow to LA. She was, and still is, absolutely stunning and was pleasant to chat to though she was somewhat occupied by her young son. David Ginola was on the same flight. I haven't flown long haul with BA for some years and can't compare but Virgin is very good. I was impressed with Emirates on a flight to Dubai and onward to the Maldives.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the info re the above, I've gone with Virgin UC in the end.

Flight times are good, LHR lounge looks fantastic and pretty much all online reviews are positive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post

Flight times are good, LHR lounge looks fantastic and pretty much all online reviews are positive.
    Excellent choice - enjoy

Craftsman
    Enjoy. The VA revival lounge at lhr is a great way to have a proper cup of tea, shower, breakfast before you face reality after a trip. Thoroughly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post

Blog Entries
    I flew cattle return from Heathrow to Miami with Virgin about three years ago, a truly disgusting experience! Surly and irritable cabin crew, old threadbare seats, broken tv screen, appalling plastic food and the tickets were NOT cheap! In all seriousness, I will never fly Virgin again!

Not wishing to ramble on too much but the best flight experience I have ever had was with Finnair about 30 years ago, aircraft, cabin crew, food, all superb and that was economy!
    Last edited by KavKav; 27th January 2017 at 09:38.

Craftsman
    Thanks to all above, we did the flight and quick summary here: -
    Pros: -
    - LHR lounge is huge and there is so much to do. Got there three hrs early and had a haircut, shower, loads of nice food and drinks. Pleasant atmos.
    - Food on flight was exceptional bearing in mind how long into the flight you get your main meal (fillet).
    - Bar area was good place to stretch your legs but not the most comfortable.
    - Bed was comfy for a flight.
    - Sevice was excellent when it came to drinks or assistance.

Cons: -
    - Whilst bed was comfy it was either up or down and no in-between. Prefer Emirates TBH although other half thought Virgin was better.
    - Seats were pretty narrow on the shoulders and I couldn't get comfy as one arm rest was higher than the other.
    - Whist bar area was a welcome place to stretch your legs and move about the seat footrests were angled away from the bar so was a bit skewed. Seams like this area was an afterthought. Emirates A380 beats this by a million (air)miles.
    - Couple of regular passengers came to the bar and had some drinks and took a while for the crew to realise they weren't UC and move them on.

Overall a great experience but will probably try BA next for comparison. Rating = 7.5/10.

Craftsman
    Ba business more professional and a bit stuffy bed not as big or comfy as virgin
    Virgin uc more relaxed own clubhouse at Heathrow and Gatwick both better than ba galleries lounge
    But if funds allow fly ba first better seat more professional and better food Concorde lounge at t5 is better than virgin clubhouse

Master
    Blog Entries
    I love Qatar Business but I know a lot of people swear by New Zealand, in fact it did win best Business class a few years ago. I have done Virgin Upper but personal space is small compared to others

Craftsman
    Other half flies Qatar a lot and she says it's the best.

Air NZ was on the list too for the trip but I think we preferred a bigger brand name to fly with. Will try them for another trip for sure though.

To LAX I would go Air Newzealand. BA offering is not up to scratch. Dated, poor condition, poor service and average lounge compared to what's on offer elsewhere. We have a BA Amex so fly Business frequently but we're considering an alternative credit card because BA is so poor.