closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any cannon experts here? (Artillery type)

Any cannon experts here? (Artillery type)

Well as seems to happen once in a while I've been offered something a little out of the ordinary,I've already got a place in the hallway where it's going to live facing out towards the front door...obviously this should be great for when the zombies invade and I can load it with grapeshot.

Not yet seen it in the flesh,but apparently 2-3 feet in length and extremely heavy,my limited research suggests a signalling cannon,obviously has a broad arrow upon it,but thereafter I'm clueless....as always I turn to the genius pool that's is TZ for any further info?

Last edited by thorpey69; 16th January 2017 at 23:50.

Master
    Do what I did 30 years ago and join the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain.

I have a few black powder shotguns and the scene is now thriving.

There are quite a few members who collect cannons.

Mick

Master
    What an amazing bit of history.
    I know a little about firearms but zero about cannons, although looking at the trunnions I'd guess it used to sit on some kind of carriage? Sorry, that's about it!

Incidentally, the*plural*of*cannon*can be either*cannon*or*cannons. Both forms are used regularly - but the*plural*of*canon*is always canons. 👍

Sent from my HTC One dual sim using Tapatalk

Master
    Bound to be someone at Royal Armouries/War Museum who can identify it. Is it naval or army? Army I presume were lighter for mobility.

Master
    Yes it was certainly intended for use mounted on a wooden carriage . Although if it is as small as I suspect a "swivel" mount might have been used..Navy would be my guess, George 111 died in 1801.
    Last edited by BrianT; 17th January 2017 at 09:58.

Thanks for the info so far,I'll be making an oak truck/carriage so it can be wheeled around once I've cleaned up the cannon itself,this is going to be a decision as to what is the best course of action,whether to clean and leave (as paint not original) or to strip it back and go again.