closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Royal Mail compensation

Royal Mail compensation

I bought a watch from ebay that arrived damaged and the seller is going to claim from Royal Mail for the insured amount. It has been suggested that they refund me the repair costs and I send them the photos of the packaging etc for their claim. I am worried that if the seller claims from Royal Mail then the watch becomes Royal Mail's property. So can I accept the partial refund for the repair and still legally own it?

Presumably they are claiming for the repair costs, not a replacement watch. So yes you would still be the legal owner.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Presumably they are claiming for the repair costs, not a replacement watch. So yes you would still be the legal owner.
    I'm not sure! This is what worries me about accepting the partial repair costs. Obviously the claim is between the seller and Royal Mail. Perhaps I should just ask for a full refund and find another watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Doesn’t work like that, the RM compensation claim is against loss or damage incurred.
    If not already done so, create a resolution centre case, whereby his offer to refund the repair cost will be more binding than regular messages.

One thing to bear in mind is RM will only pay out the repair cost rather than the maximum value it’s covered for.
    In other words, if it was sold for £400 and sent using RMSD which automatically covers up to £500, then he’ll only see £400 at most.
    As proof from his end, they’ll want the eBay listing number, and obviously the photos to show the damaged packaging.
    I suspect you’re going to have to get a quote or two for estimated cost of fixing it, which will also have to be submitted with the claim.

Unless it’s the only one of its kind available, there’s a fair amount of hassle and delay before you can make use of the purchase – in which case it might be best to return it, and look for another one that's packaged to ensure it arrives undamaged.

Master
    Was it poorly packaged?
    I'd return it for a refund-

Master
    Good old RM eh!

I'm going to just take a refund as I don't want to get caught up in what could be an insurance scam! Cheers for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This reminds me, I submitted a claim for failed RMSD delivery on 7th December, not heard anything at all.

Master
    I worked for the RM for 22 years and when you heard about damaged goods, there was always a common denominator, the sender was a private individual who packed poorly. Millions of packages are sent by commercial firms who pack correctly and their defect rate is almost zero.

The problem is with the guy who sends stuff in a cardboard box with bubble wrap inside, it's not going to survive a modern parcel delivery system.

There is a simple test - shake the guts out of the package, if you can hear or feel it move, it's packed poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Good old RM eh!
    Given the amount of stuff they ferry around. etc etc etc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I worked for the RM for 22 years and when you heard about damaged goods, there was always a common denominator, the sender was a private individual who packed poorly. Millions of packages are sent by commercial firms who pack correctly and their defect rate is almost zero.

The problem is with the guy who sends stuff in a cardboard box with bubble wrap inside, it's not going to survive a modern parcel delivery system.

There is a simple test - shake the guts out of the package, if you can hear or feel it move, it's packed poorly.
    Very good points made by Mick! If I am sending stuff (Particularly if I am sending to one of our own on here) I always pack like it is going to the bloody moon! Never had a delivery failure/arrival damage yet!

Been disappointed by RM so far this year. A package to Russia seems to have been misplaced, an SD package went awry and another parcel has gone walks by the looks of things. Can't wait to see their response when I submit the claims!

Quote Originally Posted by drhexagon View Post
    A package to Russia seems to have been misplaced,
    I don't even feel surprised on that tbh...