closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amazon Fire Stick - Fibre Broadband

Journeyman

Amazon Fire Stick - Fibre Broadband

Wondering for those of you that have a fire stick, how much of a difference does Fibre broadband make?

Fibre isnt available in our area yet, 'soon' apparently, but waiting patiently.

logic tells me that the improved Mb/s should stop the jumpy/buffering streams?

Makes a massive difference. We just got fibre and can stream 4K Amazon prime without buffering through the Amazon app on the TV.

We have fibre and a firestick, no problems at all, no jumping/buffering. Had fibre the whole time we've had it, so can't comment on what the firestick requires to work smoothly. What speed you currently getting? At our old house, out in the sticks, we had a chromecast and it worked fine after a 30second buffer even with our shocking rural 0.8meg speed

Brighty

I don't use for 4K / UHD content, but still had some buffering @ <5mbs. If anyone experiences buffering when upgraded to fibre/ superfast, then something else is far wrong. I now have <50mbs BT Infinity2 & haven't looked back! 👍

Sent from my HTC One dual sim using Tapatalk

Fire stick and regular broadband was ok, but only when watching 720p. 1080p used to buffer.
    38mb fibre sorted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanhmod View Post
    I now have <50mbs BT Infinity2 & haven't looked back!
    "Less than" 50Mbps sounds so much more honest than "up to" 50Mbps.

I've got copper and the Stick works just fine. A very occasional buffering, but picture quality etc is fine.

A great buy....so I could watch the final season of Sons of Anarchy which didn't get screened over here!

Journeyman
    excellent thanks.

we get 2.8 - 3.1 Mb/s just now and tbh, some stuff isn't great. movies in particular.

Good to know that it wont be permanent.... I cancelled sky in protest to their lack of customer service. Will just persevere with the fire stick until fibre becomes available.

Not being able to record is a bit of a bummer though!

Quote Originally Posted by AMS87 View Post
    Not being able to record is a bit of a bummer though!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/install

(No idea if this works or not on the Fire Stick though).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I have fibre...to a certain point then copper into the property, the fire stick works well with that and I am 18M at present (fastest I can get in my area).

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/install

(No idea if this works or not on the Fire Stick though).

R
    I have it on my firestick, official source and not modified from amazon settings.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
    I have fibre...to a certain point then copper into the property, the fire stick works well with that and I am 18M at present (fastest I can get in my area).
    This is likely what my eventual set up will be. Can you stream 4k with 18Mb/s?

Quote Originally Posted by mikiejack View Post
    I have it on my firestick, official source and not modified from amazon settings.
    Thanks, that's good to know: my Firestick has just arrived.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Before we had fibre we never had any trouble streaming up to 1080. It's not always about your download speed. It's also down to the host of the stream.

Salts generally has very good full had streams for films and box sets.

No fibre and no real problem with streaming - left wondering how this all works!

Journeyman
    yeh I'm struggling to watch normal stuff. If you've had a rough day and you come home to a jumpy stream... it doesn't make things better!

Master
    Sorry to derail a little
    I will be going for fibre in the next few weeks, I can get upto 76 meg for £3/month more is it worth it?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    Sorry to derail a little
    I will be going for fibre in the next few weeks, I can get upto 76 meg for £3/month more is it worth it?
    Yes it will be. BUT, "up to" means exactly that. unless you have fibre all the way into your house, you wont achieve anything like 76Mb/s. I believe there is now a service that will be offered (but comes with additional cost) from BT where they will install fibre from the exchange directly into your home.

Amazon Fire Stick - Fibre Broadband

Yes it will be. BUT, "up to" means exactly that. unless you have fibre all the way into your house, you wont achieve anything like 76Mb/s. I believe there is now a service that will be offered (but comes with additional cost) from BT where they will install fibre from the exchange directly into your home.
    I personally don't think it is needed, unless you have a family who are heavy users?
    I have a smart home, with wifi connected heating/lights/music, I stream 99% of my TV, have a few phones and laptops on, no issues what-so-ever.
    I could upgrade to 76mb for a few pounds a month, and haven't needed to do it.

Journeyman
    i have 30/10 (down/up) and no buffering while streaming full HD.. didnt try 4k tho...
    also i install Kodi and im suprised how well is working

This is likely what my eventual set up will be. Can you stream 4k with 18Mb/s?
    Yes mate, no issues to report. Only did it a few times.

Got my Firestick up and running today and am very impressed overall with it. The only downside that I've found is negotiating the onscreen keyboard with the remote.

11Mb download here and no issues watching anything so far.

R

Got my Firestick up and running today and am very impressed overall with it. The only downside that I've found is negotiating the onscreen keyboard with the remote.

R
    If you have a smart phone, you can download the amazon fire remote app. It's good if you lose the tiny remote, and it has voice activation. Unsure if it works for anything other than amazon prime, but worth trying.

Craftsman

R
    Download the fire to remote app and use the keyboard on your phone

R
    Sybu for Kodi app.
    F.T.F.A.

I've fibre but also Fire Box which are better than the stick

Craftsman
    We've actually just downgraded from 76 to about 40 to save cash. There's just the two of us in the house and we've not noticed any difference in internet or streaming experience. And we're heavy downloaders/box set bingers.

I have to say though, it's likely we've not noticed as the old voda supplied router was utter pants for Wi-Fi and prioritising streaming IP traffic. The new sky router is so much better.

HTh