closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer II on leather?

Explorer II on leather?

I'm aware the whole Rolex-sports-on-a-leather-strap concept divides opinion, but I'm quite taken with the Everest bands with the fitted steel end-pieces.

Out of all the Rolex sports models I think the previous model Explorer II (16570) lends itself to leather pretty well.

I'm quite taken with the following two straps (pics below).

Interested in your views please, and whether any of you have pictures to share having gone for this combination. Pics of this model on other leather strap options also appreciated!

Thanks all.

The end links help a lot
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Personally, I really like the Explorer/leather combinations illustrated below. IMVHO, it makes the watch look classy and understated and less overtly in-your-face-Rolex. I would definitely wear this combination.

Master
    I'd have to say the opposite. Not a fan of the end links at all.

Sometimes they look good on leather sometimes they don't.
    The great thing about straps for me is the variety of choice you have to do something different.

benwoodroffe
    I think it just looks better on the bracelet, probably because of the ss bezel.

I prefer the bracelet. The brown leather is more casual IMO

The fit between leather and end link looks messy in the images posted by the OP. The most successful leather straps I have seen worn with the Exp2 are nato straps which retain the tool watch look.

Apprentice
    I prefer it on a bracelet.

Master
    Jesus. No.

Put it right please.........!

I think Explorers look good on leather. The older the better (watches and leather)

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

Master
    Doesn't work on the leather for me.

If it had a black dial maybe. The white and brown just aren't doing it for me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by martynw View Post
    I think Explorers look good on leather. The older the better (watches and leather)

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

My god yes.

Those trendy rustic-look straps are probably the least-worst option in leather, but in principle it's still akin to putting low-profile street tyres on an off-roader, in that it puts fashion ahead of function:

(chavs take note: this is not a good thing)

The whole point of an Oyster-cased Rolex is reliable water resistance; it's a bit daft to put a strap that needs to be kept dry on such a watch.

At least it isn't as naff of a choice as black crocodile, though. :)
    Last edited by Belligero; 16th January 2017 at 16:44.

I have the Everest leather strap with fitted metal end links. No pics on my Explorer II, but a couple on a GMT Master. The 1st with the original strap and the 2nd with a rubber strap from Jean Rousseau, built to fit the Everest end links.

Craftsman
    Mine pretty much lives on this leather strap from Stevo, or a similar design in Cordovan from Pav. I do think it needs something a bit more rustic as someone said unthread. I can't see Croc or anything high gloss working.

Not convinced. Tan with minimal stitch looks the best.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 17th January 2017 at 01:46.

You just can't beat slapping on a length of leather... 😗

Sent from my HTC One dual sim using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Craftsman
    That's the first time I've seen one on leather and I have to say I don't like it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I'm aware the whole Rolex-sports-on-a-leather-strap concept divides opinion, but I'm quite taken with the Everest bands with the fitted steel end-pieces.

Out of all the Rolex sports models I think the previous model Explorer II (16570) lends itself to leather pretty well.

I'm quite taken with the following two straps (pics below).

Interested in your views please, and whether any of you have pictures to share having gone for this combination. Pics of this model on other leather strap options also appreciated!

Thanks all.

I really like the one at the bottom here , nothing wrong with leather and a Rolex sports watch as long as you get the combination right of course

The Explorer II (black) is pretty much my favourite. I tried NATO and Zulu, and went back to bracelet pretty sharpish. The "rustic" leather looks ok, but I would leave it on the bracelet.

Sorry!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Always been a hardcore bracelet man myself. Agree with the comment that a strap gives you a lot of other options but I just find a bracelet more comfortable.

I've got my Dad's old Seiko SQ150 that I inherited when he passed away in 2000. It was on the original bracelet until it was damaged in transit after a battery change. I was not a happy bunny!!

Replaced it with a black leather strap but after a short time I stopped wearing it. I've coughed up £70.00 today for an original Seiko B1751S bracelet. Bet it gets a lot more wear now

Like the vintage ones on leather now its given me a dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Agreed - they always seem to serve as a reminder the watch was designed for a bracelet.
    An ordinary strap of a decent thickness looks better IMO - the gap between strap and case is nowhere near the problem some people create.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

THAT'S how its done.

Craftsman

free upload image

I know some think it's heresy but I don't. I find it lighter and more comfortable on a leather NATO. I do switch to the bracelet often(ish) though.
    Last edited by rgwarden; 17th January 2017 at 21:04.

I've tried both my Explorer II and GMT on leather and NATOs but neither lasted long before they went back on their bracelets. It just looked wrong!
    Last edited by bigvic; 18th January 2017 at 20:44.

Hello,

I had my Exp II on an Everest strap for a long time. Even though it looked fantastic, I drifted back to the bracelet...

Indeed, it's still nice to have alternatives for a few reasons — not least of which is that it does make one appreciate the bracelet more once it's back in its proper place. :)

Craftsman
    I quite like that Daytona on a leather strap, not feeling it for the explorers on leather though..

Craftsman
    I think the Explorer I works, but I am still not sure on the II

Grand Master
    i like the look of the Everest straps with end links, but not sure i would splurge that much on a leather. any cheaper alternatives out there?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Bracelet for me. Straps get grubby.

Craftsman
    I mostly keep the bracelet on my (polar) Explorer 2, but think it works well on a strap, or NATO, from time to time. Something with silly colours when on holiday works for me too!

^
    I'd also consider putting mine on a waterproof strap such a NATO for holiday duty to keep the bracelet from getting scuffed up, but the selection in 21 mm width is pretty limited. :(

Without the end links will probably work for me. I like the leather strap you had chosen. But in general I like Subs on leather straps, the explorer II, not so much.

The old 5 digit explorers look great on nato straps. A leather nato would also look nice. But somehow normal straps with or without endlinks look kind of strange. I wore my black 16570 most of the time on a nice nato strap.

In these 'face on' pictures I think a strap on a Rolex sports model can look ok, but worn on the wrist the first thing I always noticed was the unfinished area of case between the lugs, which has usually also been marked by the endlink of the bracelet. Really looks wrong, and I'd always be back to the bracelet within a day

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the white dial explorers and Pepsi/coke gmts can look rather nice on leather. Particularly if the original bracelets are beginning to wear the inner lugs and you're conserving.
    The exp2s look great on a conker brown rough sudeded strap. No pic unfortunately but I believe the straps are available from bulang.

I like it on leather. With the Explorer II, the bracelet sometimes looks like a lot of steel considering the bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by markosgr28 View Post
    Without the end links will probably work for me. I like the leather strap you had chosen. But in general I like Subs on leather straps, the explorer II, not so much.
    I agree. My personal preference is for leather straps over bracelets, generally speaking, and have leather on the majority of my watches.

But I think because it's a natural material, leather generally is something of a more "old school" "hand made" look, and that doesn't immediately suit the very modern design of an Explorer II.

Craftsman

I never imagined a daytona on a brown leather strap would work but in this image it does. Enjoying this thread! It's making me think how I could mix things up a bit :-)

Journeyman

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

Liking this a lot but wouldn't go for it on a polar personally, Daytona looks class too

Quote Originally Posted by rgwarden View Post

free upload image

I know some think it's heresy but I don't. I find it lighter and more comfortable on a leather NATO. I do switch to the bracelet often(ish) though.
    May I ask which NATO this is? None of the leather NATOs I've tried, thin as possible (1.5mm specs from manufacturer) just will not fit between the case and the spring bars. Any tips?

It's currently on its bracelet, as it almost always has been, simply because nothing seems to fit apart from Perlon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I tend to agree - it always looks a bit of an uneasy match to me. If the strap is sufficiently thick then the gap 'problem' that the endlink 'solves' doesn't really arise imo.

I also think the straps in the OP are a little fussy. The ExpII is quite a 'busy' watch so a plain vintage leather strap (with less visible stitching) would work better.

Master
    Sorry doesn't do it for me but I have seen a few on rubber that look fine.

Grand Master
    Look great....mines is on leather.